PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Oil Pastelists!

Andrew
01-25-2002, 10:55 AM
I have a drawing that I want to paint in oil pastels. I want a smooth support like bristol board, but I am concerned that some of the oil might bleed. Is this a concern? Or alternatively, for the longevity of the painting/drawing would some sort of priming be recommended?

Thanks,

Andrew

Johnmuir
01-31-2002, 09:19 PM
I've been using oil pastels for 28 years and have never had a problem with them bleeding
Unless you're talking about using turpentine with them.
I know that's one technique, but I've never used it.
Hmmm...maybe that is what you're talking about. That's the only way they could possibly bleed.
In that case, my answer is, I don't know.
Sorry I couldn't help...jim

Andrew
02-01-2002, 09:51 AM
turpentine. Any blending of colors will be obtained thruough layering the colors or mixing them directly on the support.

I love the brilliant colors and feel of oil pastels, but am at a loss technically. Mind sharing some of your techniques?

Andrew

Johnmuir
02-01-2002, 04:46 PM
Well then. Since you're not using turpentine, my answer is that oil pastels applied to paper or even layered on top of each other won't bleed...jim

djstar
02-03-2002, 12:48 PM
Someone with real experience it very valuable in here!!
I was going to suggest trying a board gessoed and sanded and gessoed again, but now there seems to be a pro.
I am very curious about how they work and how to handle them.
JOHN!
Would you post a couple of threads about what mediums, what to expect, how to handle and preserve them?
PLEASE!
Everyone has a few boxes around and I personally am terrified from a single adventure with them.
Do they actually handle more like oil or like pastel?
Thanks for joining up!
dj*

kellysue
02-04-2002, 10:35 PM
I've made a few successful oil pastel paintings using suede matboard as a support. (alphamat is acid free) Just stay away from black, to avoid the Velvet Elvis look.

Blending is just about impossible, which I don't do anyway. The caran d'ache I have been using work well, more like pastels than oils. The very light colors don't cover the darks well when layering---but---if you wait a day and allow a drying film to develop before trying to layer, you might be able to do it. I just try to plan the lights ahead as best as I can.

The loose scribbly look works very well, and I get a colored ground, which helps immensly. I tried using white w/c paper and had disastrous results. (Too much white to cover ,used up too much pastel.)

give it a try, it's fun and a big relief from the frustration of framing/transporting dry pastels.