PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Ghost Ranch paint-out 2006

PeggyB
11-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Hi All

We can give Donna a huge thank you for talking to the folks at Ghost Ranch today :clap: :clap: :clap:

In a nutshell, here is what she learned. About the only date available is the week following Mothers' Day, May 12 - 17. There's still several options available for accomodations, but I will have to know by this coming Monday, November 14 what you hope to do because we need to reserve asap. They require an exact number of reservations in advance. I can hold them all on my credit card for now (I won't be chareged until after we actually get there). Since I didn't talk to them, I'm not sure about cancellations, but they did have them last time I did this. The small conference room is available for our use should the weather be nasty, and should be large enough. We will all share that fee.

The rooms are pre day per person, and include 3 meals. These rooms are closest to the conference area and cafeteria so there isn't much "hiking" required for those who have a problem with that. Here's the $$$ news in approximation as I don't know what the taxes are in NM or if the price is going up in 2006.

Private Bath $80 per night per person ($80 X 5 nights = $400 plus about $20 for conference room or a total $420 + tax)

Semi Private Bath $70 - $70X 5 = $350 + $20 = $370 + tax

Dorm style (community bath outside and down the covered walk) $60 X 5 = $300 + $20 = $320 + tax

The fee for the conference room will depand upon how many people are there. I've based the estimate on 10 people. They won't allow more than 50 people per group, but I don't think that will be a problem this time. :)

Anyone who wants to know the past conversations regarding GR, can go to the old thread titled "Ghost Ranch Paint Out 2006?" All new information regarding this proposed adventure will be posted here.

Deborah - are you still up for the art instruction on this date?

Peggy

Khadres
11-11-2005, 06:59 PM
And what is the general estimate for meals?

Deborah Secor
11-11-2005, 07:16 PM
I can do that, Peggy, assuming we have enough people who can join us then. It's a nice time of year!

Oh, and here's a link to the old thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4047741#post4047741), just to make information gathering easier.

Sooz, check the GR page (http://www.ghostranch.org). They had info on meals at the Abiquiu site. I think it was in the $7-$8 range for lunch and for dinner, but check to be sure...

Deborah

PeggyB
11-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear that:

if you stay in one of the mentioned accomodations, all three meals are included in the price - :)

Anyone who decides to stay elsewhere, but wants to join in to paint can purchase the meals seperately. However, they do have certain resrtictions for "visitors" that you'll need to look into, and if you use the conference room with those who are staying at GR, you'll have to help pay for that too.

You can read more about all that they offer & see some lovely photos on their website. www.ghostranch.org (http://www.ghostranch.org/)

Deborah, I'm glad the date works for you. It does me too so there will be at least the two of us! :D
Peggy

CM Neidhofer
11-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Count me in for now. How exciting! :)

Christine

DLJohnson
11-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Hi :wave:

I really didn't do that much and have thought of several questions I forgot to ask him. lol

Here is the tentative list again. If I messed up please correct me. :cat:

Donna

1. PeggyB
2. christyart (Christine)
3. Kyle (Kat + John)
4. Artistammy (just say yes)
5. dee artist (Deborah S. +?)
6. starjoy (Piper + Stan)
7. DLJohnson (me + Mark)
8. khadres (Sooz + Mel?)
9. khourianya (Cori + Cam?)
10. 1mpete (Mikki + John)
11. pford (Paula)
12. watergirl (Molly)
13. Nancy Leone
14. kmar (Karen)
15. Aztrillium (TJ)

khourianya
11-12-2005, 12:21 AM
I am going to have to look into how much flights will cost us down there. I don't know if our old car would be able to handle the trip. I'll do the math and let y'all know if it's feasible shortly.

Ok - so that $420 for the week is going to be *each* person, even if you are sharing a room...or is it per room? (plus meals of course for the additional person - cam is a musician, not a painter so he won't be interested in the plein air activities or workshopping)

At any rate - off to see what flights will cost...

*edited to add - I just went online to look into flight and it is going to cost us more than our all-inclusive trip to mexico for the 2 of us will cost later in 2006. I think Cam and I are going to have to pass on this get together. Maybe I can save enough to make it down in 2007...

now I'm sad...

PeggyB
11-12-2005, 03:35 AM
Ok - so that $420 for the week is going to be *each* person, even if you are sharing a room...or is it per room? (plus meals of course for the additional person - cam is a musician, not a painter so he won't be interested in the plein air activities or workshopping)

At any rate - off to see what flights will cost...

*edited to add - I just went online to look into flight and it is going to cost us more than our all-inclusive trip to mexico for the 2 of us will cost later in 2006. I think Cam and I are going to have to pass on this get together. Maybe I can save enough to make it down in 2007...now I'm sad...

Darn the expensive airline tickets Cori :( - I was really hoping to get to meet you in person, and a muscian would have been an added treat.
Just so others know about the pricing. GR charges per person, not per room and the price of meals is included in the room price - rather like a rustic version of a B&B. :D I'll hope to see you in 2007, and in the meantime, have a grand time in Mexico - can't say I feel too sorry for you...

Peggy

khourianya
11-13-2005, 01:17 AM
lol - yep - stupid airfares - I can't believe round trip would cost us over $2000 to get us there and back! It's horrible.

well - I keep murmuring to Cam that I want to drive out to vancouver next spring to visit our assorted friends out there. I also murmur that a trip to Dakota would make a nice day trip and we could visit an old friend of mine in Seattle for a couple of days. I guess we'll see how things look, but maybe we can meet in person anyway. Just have to play it by ear...I'd love a chance to paint along the coast..

(Oh and I should mention, Cam is an Electronic musician, so his music making is fairly restricted to his studio here...)

Piper Ballou
11-13-2005, 10:39 AM
I am going to have to pass for the get together in May also. It is three weeks before the end of school a very busy time for me. Also, I need to take a week off in March for a new grandbaby being born.
bummer, this sounded like a blast and will keep up with the plans for this great adventure.
thanks
piper

Artistammy
11-14-2005, 06:05 PM
I won't be staying at GR if I get to go at all. I might could arrange to stay a night near there or at our cabin & drive over for a day or two but that will be all if it works out. I wish it could.
Tammy

scall0way
11-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Sure does sound like fun! I've had a great vicarious time just reading the thread, even though I knew there was no way I could go. But if one ever gets organized for New England? ..... LOL

DLJohnson
11-15-2005, 11:43 AM
I will e-mail the fellow about the fall. I thought the beginning of May worked for you Piper.

If I was Trump and I had a jet I would pick everybody up. We would then proceed to Terry's, pick him up too, last. Poor guy :cat: and then off to Ghost Ranch. There I would rent everyone a burro and handsome young people to tend to our needs. I mean carry supplies, set-up, all that. I wonder if we should pick up Handell, West, McDaniel, Hanson, Wallis.....ah what a dream.

The real dream is that everybody on our list could be there and I know that is impossible. :(

Stay tuned, nothing is set in stone yet and maybe we can have a vote on 2 or 3 dates.

Donna

PeggyB
11-16-2005, 12:48 AM
I will e-mail the fellow about the fall. I thought the beginning of May worked for you Piper.

Stay tuned, nothing is set in stone yet and maybe we can have a vote on 2 or 3 dates. Donna

Good ideas Donna, and thank you for taking this on. :clap:

Peggy

DLJohnson
11-17-2005, 03:11 AM
I didn't hear back yet, e-mailed him late yesterday. Do we want to think about another location? Or just wait it out until the expo in 07?

Donna

Khadres
11-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Well, I know a lot of folks aren't that thrilled with Albuquerque, but don't forget that there IS the IAPS gathering there in '06! Not sure what the dates are, but since this is a pastel-specific convention, there are some who might enjoy tying that in with some sort of get-together...

DLJohnson
11-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Gary at Ghost Ranch does not respond! ARGH! I give up.

Donna

PeggyB
11-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Well, I know a lot of folks aren't that thrilled with Albuquerque, but don't forget that there IS the IAPS gathering there in '06! Not sure what the dates are, but since this is a pastel-specific convention, there are some who might enjoy tying that in with some sort of get-together...

Actually Sooz, the IAPS convention is in 2007, not '06. It is always in May over the Mothers' Day weekend. One way to remember the year of the conventions is that they are always on an "odd" year - not putting any meaning into that :D LOL!

The original intention of getting together in '06 was to meet one another in person, and enjoy some time with "Like Minds" at a location that we could all consider "affordable". I think Ghost Ranch has changed a bit in the customer relations department since I was there in 2001. They are proving to be rather unresponsive to Donna's repeated inquiries. They've also increased the price considerably. I stayed in one of the bunkhouses that are now $60 per night and were $35 - at least they still include all meals, but at a per person price and not a per accomodations price as hotels and motels charge that has made it pretty expensive.

The Albuquerque area has many lovely places to paint - just ask Deborah. We could get more bang for our travel buck if we decided to get together after the convention in '07 and paint in that area by choosing to stay at a less expensive motel and painting there. I did that in '03 and stayed at a Motel 8 with about a dozen other artists. We had to eat out so that was a bit more expensive, but if we choose to stay at a place like Home Suites or Extended Stay were they have small kitchens in each unit we could eat all meals in our rooms or breakfast in room, make lunches to go, and dinner either in room or at a restraunt. That way 2 or 3 people could share the expense of one room, and it would be about the same or less than paying as an individual at GR. We wouldn't have to make reservations a year in advance either or travel several hours just to get to a painting destination! This is just a suggestion for 2007, and doesn't help with 2006.

I'm open to hearing suggestions for other areas to gather for 2006 - say in early September so more people can be with us or even summer. I think an area that is more centrally located would maybe help both the east and west coast people participate, but that is just a suggestion. I know Washington and Oregon, but they aren't exactly low flight cost places. This summer I went to a small town not far from Crater Lake in Oregon with the Pastel Society of Oregon folks, and we stayed at an historic hotel. My roommate and I had the most expensive accomodation at $120 a night that we split two ways. (because we were slow in registering and that's all that was left) However, it was an entire small apartment with full kitchen accomodations! One night the whole group met there for a dinner that another member prepared for us in that kitchen. We decided if ever we went back, we'd ask for that apartment again. Two artists drove all the way from Colorado to be with us, and they thought it well worth the trip. Surely some of you know of places similar to this in your area that we can consider so let's brain strom this gathering again and come up with a place and date we can agree upon. I want to see your lovely faces, hear your magical voices, and play in pastels with you in person! :)

Peggy

Deborah Secor
11-18-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm quite open to whatever you all decide would work best. I'd be more than happy to provide information about this area--and of course, even if you stay in a motel in the city, you're not more than a half hour from some very scenic country! I've hosted many workshops in the area of the Turquoise Trail, near my home. I live at 7000' in the mountains between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, a bit closer to ABQ. There are some shots of the area and a couple of my paintings on the workshops (http://www.deborahchristensen.com/Workshops.html) page at my web site, if you want to take a look there. (The lady smiling over her shoulder, standing if front of a beautiful sunset painting in blues and purples, is our own PJO!) I could tote you around to different locations, depending on how may want to come, and show you the best spots around here. Not more than 35 minutes from Albuqerque is the scenic church at Golden nestled in the Ortiz range, not to mention the bosque, the river, the 100 mile view of Cabezon (a volcanic plug), and many many others...

We can talk. I'm certainly surprised that GR has gotten so big for its britches! I guess there's enough demand now--but trust me, there are tons of other places. We had a small group stay at a B&B near my home, and we've also looked at several other such places in and around Cerrillos and Madrid. Hey--wanna stay at a real old New Mexico mining town? http://www.turquoisetrail.org/tripplanning.htm#anchor393211

Just thinking out loud!

Deborah

Khadres
11-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Uh, believe me when I say you are going to be VASTLY disappointed in MY magical voice which is permanently in toad croak mode; but I can wear a mask for the rest, I suppose. :D Colorado abounds in scenic places; it's just a question of finding the basic setup we're after. The Springs has lots of Extended Stay type facilities at relatively reasonable prices. There are also possibilities in off-season ski towns where condos and such go cheap and sleep several in comfort. Usually, late spring, early fall are the best for those. Might be possible to get two condos to accomodate everyone (or even one if the group's small enough). Bonus there is proximity to painting spots and facilities for cooking, etc. Places for that range from Crested Butte to Cuchara to Glenwood Springs, to the Steamboat area. I'm sure there are other places in nearby states like this; just a question of finding out what interests everyone most and what's on offer.

Donna and I were even joking about having a mini-gathering in Las Vegas where we could play the slots a bit by night and spend our "winnings" (as IF I ever win anything!) at the local Dick Blick's. Anything's possible....we just need to see what catches enough people's fancy.

HarvestMoon
11-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Please take LOTS of pictures of the beautiful rocks, and the paintings you do, etc.... you guys are sure going to have a great time!!

Khadres
11-18-2005, 05:11 PM
There's no reason you can't come along, Linda! You must have dozens of IOUs due on the animal watching by now! Don't make me come down there and GET you!

johndill01
11-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Sooz: Now you opened up a new possibility. We are supposed to be in LV over memorial day weekend for a family reunion. A few days before or after would work great.

Or NM just prior or after Mem. day.

John

HarvestMoon
11-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Well, Sooz, John, are you really coming? I am such a reclusive wierd-o.....

khourianya
11-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Donna and I had pondered the LV thing too - figured it would be a fun place to test out black paper and BRIGHT pastels! Plein air en nuit.

Of course - if we are talking may long weekend - I may be out for that because it is when I am going to Vancouver...

Kathryn Wilson
11-21-2005, 09:25 PM
I've been out of touch on this thread . . . has anything concrete been decided? I am game for May or for the fall. LV would be good as John and I could hop over to Utah and do the Zion and Bryce Canyon tour - there is also Lake Mead close by too.

Mikki Petersen
11-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Well, I know I DO NOT want to wait until '07. Name the place and I'll plan to be there. I will say that Colorado Springs is a gloriously scenic area, fairly central to north and south with lots and lots of accomodations. We spent four days prowling around that area last year. Colorado Springs has an area called "Garden of the Gods" that could keep us all busy painting for days.

Mikki

Khadres
11-21-2005, 11:55 PM
I think Colorado Springs would work, of course, and am also looking into some areas down around Cucharas, CO. Maybe we can get together a "possibles" list and get all the info we can together and then do a vote of sorts?

As far as LV goes, I am assuming accomodations are pretty much a go there any time. Not sure the surrounding area is all that paintable, but depends on what you're after, I guess. The night lights could be fun.

Piper Ballou
11-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Well, Well, if it is in Las vegas, I could be the tour guide to the Dick Blick store, there is a lot more things to do in vegas then just gamble, I will do a search of places we could gather to paint. give me a few days
piper

Deborah Secor
11-22-2005, 01:25 PM
I think it might work out better for me to plan a workshop here in my neck of the woods and see who can join me. As the instructor I have to plan a little farther ahead so I can publicize things... I've done summertime workshops in the area, but this year I think I'll hold one a smidgen earlier in the year since July is SO HOT. I'm thinking early June along the Turquoise Trail, with a possible side trip up to Santa Fe to paint for the day in this luscious little adobe garden spot along the Pojoaque River owned by a friend of mine. If I have enough people to warrant it, I'll rent a van to transport everyone and their supplies to the various painting spots in air-conditioned comfort. I'll keep you posted on my plans as they develop and will keep an eye out here to see what you decide to do together! If you want info on my workshop plans send me a PM or e-mail me and add your name to the list.

:)
Deborah