PDA

View Full Version : Woman with Quilt

diane555
01-24-2002, 12:57 PM
Just couldn't kep my hands out the clay! This is in wet clay (with no armature this time LOL) Think I may have found a couple places that do firing in this area. I also ordered some red clay to try. I enjoy working with both types of clay but I really love using this stuff....I always did love mud!
Anyway, she is about 7" tall by 11" long. I am also a quilter and would like to do a series with quilts incorporated in them somehow. This one is just for fun.

Di

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2002/qltladya.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2002/qltladyb.jpg

Jeffi
01-24-2002, 01:08 PM
Dianne,

That's a wonderful piece. I like the flow - the quilt laying out in front and the woman's clothes laying out in back. It's very realistic! How in the world did you ever get that design into the quilt?
:clap:

jackddavis
01-24-2002, 01:23 PM
I agree! Very natural looking to my eye. Beautifully done.

diane555
01-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Hi Jeffi

Thanks for the comments. In answer to your question...I cheated!!! Actually I used to top tool below to create the incised lines and the small brass one gently pressed against the surface for the squares. I found it at the art store...think it's generally used for ceramics but I pick up anything I think I might be able to have some fun with. I may change this quilt though...I think my quilting friends would think I chose tooooo easy a pattern :D and I also think it needs to look a bit fluffier. Thanks again for the comments.

Di

(Ooops...forgot the image again!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2002/tools.jpg

MKathleen
01-24-2002, 01:39 PM
Di, this is absolutly terrific! I too, like the way you did the drapery and the woman is elegant. :clap:

I am also a quilter and would like to do a series with quilts incorporated in them somehow.

Questions:
:confused: Di did you mean a sculpture series with clay and real cloth (for the quilt), or all clay? Another question (1) What is the name of the clay you used for this piece (I like the color), and (2) The red clay you ordered is that a Terra Cotta, and could you give me the name of this clay? :angel: :D I would like to do my next sculpture with the red wet clay, and I want to buy the right clay type. :D

Thank you for posting your sculpture and I think a series would be wonderful. You could place the quilter in different working poses. Even incorporate additional figures! One for you to consider is a little girl (maybe daughter or granddaughter) setting next to her m/gm/ggm etc. learning the skill.

Please keep posting so we can learn from you experienced sculptors. You all are sure my current day mentor's, and I can actually talk to you in real time on WC. :clap:

Best,
Kathy:D

diane555
01-24-2002, 02:03 PM
Thanks for taking time to look Jack and the nice comments.

Kathy: Howdy. This is just plain old Hugo Grey I picked up at Utrecht Art store one day when it was on sale. I think the camera lightens it a little but it is a nice grey color when it starts to dry. The red clay I ordered from Sculpture House is called Malone Red. I haven't tried this yet but we'll see how I like it. In case you're interested here is a link to their web site.
http://www.sculptshop.com/home/

As far as the quilts go, I was thinking of making actual miniature quilts (I have done several) which are made to scale. The last one I made was the 8" X 11" all hand appliqued flowers...it has a new home now. I think the fabric would be a nice contrast with clay. And I would like to use the old quilt pattern designs. But I think clay might be fun too...we'll see what I come up with.

You're right about the different working poses and I was also have other plans to try using furniture (sculpted) and nudes. I know we have several experienced sculptors on here but I don't consider myself too experienced in clay yet. Thanks for the nice comments. (gotta fix this girls head..yikes!)

Di

Yielding
01-25-2002, 06:33 AM
Nice job Di - agree with the flow of the quilt - it is great!

Questions - what expression are you going for here? Her face I mean. Her facial expression look a bit strained.

diane555
01-25-2002, 09:45 AM
Hi Yeilding:

Actually I haven't done much modelling on her face yet so that is just the state I left her in yesterday. I hope to give her a more relaxed look but I suppose she may ultimately end up with whatever my hands can manage on such a small surface LOL. I have only spent a couple hours on this piece so far and she needs more work definitely. Thanks for the comments.

Di

MKathleen
01-25-2002, 02:25 PM
Di, thank you for the information on the clay and for the website link. I like the site, and have added them to my Sculpture file.
Quilter's--I love to look at the home made quilts the colors are like paintings. While at a workshop in Monterey one year my friend Blanche and I were invited to visit a quilt workshop. They knew we were painter's and wanted our input on design and color from a painters perspective. Boy those folks are good!
Well all from this end I see I kept poor Max up to late ;) :D What a nice guy he knows how much help I need. Now you all know what I've been trying to tell ya I'm a novis who is prown to getting in trouble fast!:( :evil: :D

Best,
Kathy:D

Phyllis Rennie
01-26-2002, 08:14 PM
Hi Diane. Really like the concept of this one but I have to question the size of her head. To me it looks too large for her body size. Of course, it could be the camera angle so you'd be in a better position to judge than I am.

diane555
01-27-2002, 08:45 AM
Hi Phyl

You're absolutely right...it is tooooo big for her body. While working on it I thought she was a bit too small, but I hadn't got around to fleshing out the body more yet. Actually I haven't bothered to fix her because I want to try her in the new clay I picked up. So for now she is just a really big thinker :D ! Thanks for the comments.

Di

max nelson
01-29-2002, 11:19 PM
Di..I am always so envious of artist with this much imagination. This is a wonderfully serene image of life. I agree with Phyllis on the head size. Something that I find helpful while modeling is a pair of dividers. Just an inexpensive pair will allow you to check 'head' size to balance of figure. Another thing that is easily overlooked is thickness of cloth. One way to cheat the eye is after you have the cloth sculpted, shave the edges to give a relative thickness to the overall work. Otherwise, if the peice were scaled up to life size the cloth would appear to be about 4" thick. Just a thought. I like these last two works very much.
Max

diane555
01-30-2002, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all the comments. Thanks Max for the advise...I do have a pair of dividers, calipers, verneers, whatever...back in Canada. Spose I should just buy another pair eh? I tend to be one of those people that sculpts by "the seat of my pants" so to speak. As for the quilt, I want to make this one more soft in appearance but my real quilts are not terrible thick. I suppose the old fashioned ones were and unless I put her in jeans I should follow your advice :)

I haven't done any more on her in a couple days because I think I want to do this one in my new clay ...but I have a question.I've been searching all over the net and getting nothing so here goes. Can you combine two different colored clays in a single piece. I don't mean mix them to create a new color (that's an idea too tho), what I mean is to model with independent colors to create a piece that has several colors in it when finished. Would they have to be the same kind of clay: EG: both terracotta or can I do anything I want :D Thanks