PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic and Oil Mixing Guide

islandwoman
01-24-2002, 11:51 AM
During my latest visit to the art/stationary store, I picked up a free copy of a mixing guide by Liquitex titled "How to Mix & Use color.

The guide includes an acrylic and oil mixing guide, a value finder card, a Liquitex color chart and interesting essays on value, color relationships, and technical information. It has more valuable information then many books on the subject.

Patrick1
01-24-2002, 02:57 PM
Free!!?? I had to pay something like $10 for mine at Michaels two years ago.

It is a nice mixing guide although it was designed
many years ago. I wish other paint manufacturers would have guides like this.

islandwoman
01-25-2002, 07:14 AM
I was surprised that it was free also.

A few months ago in a thread you recommended that Einon pick up a color chart by Golden. I believe Einon payed $1 for one in England.

Golden will mail anyone (not sure about outside the US) a free hand painted color chart and a lot of additional information about their products and their use. (Thanks Domer)

The packet is chock full of info and the color chart, as both you & Einon claimed, is valuable. (Especially to Golden, one look and I was ordering some of those wonderful colors).

You can order through this site http://www.goldenpaints.com/hand.htm

Einion
01-25-2002, 04:24 PM
Coincidentally, Patrick and I were talking about this book only recently. As you say it has a very useful overview of colour and the colour table, with its explanation of the relationship of one colour to the next, make it extremely useful pracitally and to the best of my knowledge this principle is not published anywhere else.

I had to pay for mine too, interesting that they're giving it away now, everyone should run out and get a copy!

Einion

artlover
01-28-2002, 01:01 PM
OMG-Thanx Islandwoman-I've been painting w/ Golden paints since last semester (first painting class)-didn't know they had this-going to order some color charts now !!!!!!:D

Sadgylee
03-04-2002, 01:42 PM
Quick question, are Golden paints arcylics or oils? Thanks :)

islandwoman
03-04-2002, 03:08 PM
As far as I know, acrylics only.

Sadgylee
03-05-2002, 01:01 AM
Thanks so much IslandWoman :) :o

islandwoman
03-05-2002, 07:21 AM
Sorry Sadgylee, I was thinking of Golden paints. I believe that Liquitex does make oils. Why else would they produce a guide including them? Duh!

Sadgylee
03-05-2002, 11:00 AM
LOL Islandwoman... I will have to check into that...thanks :)

Wolfeyez
05-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Wow i think i will try and get that book heheh sometimes i have a hard time mixing colors and i forget which colors to mix! So glad i came across this message Thanks for the good info! Now to find the book that is another story i might have to get it when i go to AZ some of the down side to living in a small town! Thanks guyz:thumbsup:

Café LoLa
05-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Islandwoman,

Liquitex and Golden does not produce oil paints.

Einion
05-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Islandwoman,

Liquitex and Golden does not produce oil paints.
In 2002, when that post was made, Liquitex still produced a line of oils in addition to their acrylics ;)

Einion

Café LoLa
05-24-2007, 11:29 PM
oh. my bad. I was thinking of seeing if how to mix colours was free in my local shop!!! :)

buddingartist
05-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Since I now live in the country and art stores not close by, I order my material on-line from a supplier in Canada.

I just went on Golden site, did a search for Color Guide and got a Color Mixing Guide (printer friendly version).

Printing it as I type this.

dbclemons
05-26-2007, 09:56 AM
The Liquitex book information is also available re-packaged in PC software called "Pixel2Paint." You can download a demo of it at their website (http://www.liquitex.com/Products/pixel2paint.cfm). It's centered specifically towards the Liquitex pigment chart, but can be extrapolated to some degree to other paint manufacturers.

leamacd
06-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Since I now live in the country and art stores not close by, I order my material on-line from a supplier in Canada.

I just went on Golden site, did a search for Color Guide and got a Color Mixing Guide (printer friendly version).

Printing it as I type this.

I also live in Canada and wondered what the name of the supplier that you order from. I've used out of the country suppliers but I dinged for so many fees, shipping, brokerage, etc. that its not worth it.

Lea

Einion
06-11-2007, 03:06 PM
I also live in Canada and wondered what the name of the supplier that you order from. I've used out of the country suppliers but I dinged for so many fees, shipping, brokerage, etc. that its not worth it.
Curry's (http://www.currys.com/indexeg.asp) is the usual name we see recommended on WC!, although there is at least one other Canadian supplier whose name pops up that I can't remember offhand.

Einion

Patrick1
06-12-2007, 12:00 AM
The other good one is http://www.loomisartstore.com/. Click on Shopping Tips for shipping costs within Canada.

buddingartist
06-13-2007, 10:57 AM
I order from Curry's and usually save up to make a big order, then they waive the shipping fee if over $100 (that applies to Ontario) and I noticed you are in Calgary. The only thing you cannot order are Spray varnish etc. anything flammable.

Once you start shopping with them, you can sign up for their newsletter and they also mail the "Specials/Sales" flyers.

I had forgotten about Loomis and will check them out.

leamacd
06-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks so much Einion, Patrick and buddingartist - I'll look into them. Appreciate it!!

Lea