PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread Nov. 7 - 13

Paula Ford
11-07-2005, 06:42 AM
Good Morning Pastelists!

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists, whether you are using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, it’s up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when you’re creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

Here is the link to last week’s thread http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304231

Please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)

Have LOTS of fun and I look forward to seeing all of your sketches!!
Paula

scall0way
11-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Okay, I'll kick it off this week. This pic was done in a VPON 'sketchathon' this weekend. We were given 15 minutes to work on the image presented, but I think I cheated and actually spent more like 20-25 minutes on this one. :D

It was done with NuPastels on just a cheap sheet of Canson sketch pad paper, 11x14.

Paula Ford
11-07-2005, 01:34 PM
WOW!! You did that in that amount of time???? That's great Debbie!!

Paula

scall0way
11-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks Paula. Gee, not too many sketchers yet this week. Okay, I'll add one more then. This is a *real* quicky, about 10 minutes this evening on my cheapo sketch pad when thinking about the holiday season.

artist60164
11-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Hello, I new to the pastels forum. Do we have a project every week?

khourianya
11-10-2005, 12:13 AM
The sketch thread is an ongoing weekly thread where you can submit any sketches done within the time frame of an hour.

We have regular projects here, but they are done through the projects system here at Wet canvas.

Take a look around and be sure to drop by the scumble and introduce yourself. we are a friendly group of friends here :)

scall0way
11-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Hello, I new to the pastels forum. Do we have a project every week?

Hi, as Cori said this is an ongoing thread where each week folks can submit sketches that they spent an hour or less on. There are no "assigned" pictures, it's just whatever the artist feels like sketching in a pastel medium.

I don't know if you are merely new to the pastel forums, or new to art in general. If the latter this is a good place to "get your feet wet" when you begin posting your own work. When I joined WetCanvas I was very new to painting and was far too intimidated to post any of my own newbie works to places like the Soft Pastels Studio, when I saw what absolutely marvelous stuff people were posting there.

But it seemed less threatening to post stuff here as I reasoned no one was going to expect a masterpiece in an hour or less. :) So all my first pictures I uploaded here were submitted to these friendly weekly threads. You can go back and look at previous weeks' threads to see what sort of pictures get posted.

fortysomething
11-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Debbie, I am amazed at your sketches. It took me 70 minutes to do two bananas, and you did a tree plus decorations in ten minutes. The bird has been proportioned really well, also.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2005/64375-WC_TwoBananas.jpg

They'll be cake the next time I check this thread. :D

Paula Ford
11-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Debbie, I love your Christmas tree! I don't think I've ever met anyone that sketches as fast as you!

Artist60164, Welcome! Glad you stopped in. Why don't you do a little sketch and post it...or just come on in and pull up a chair and browse WC. You'll find lots of activities in the Pastel Forum. Usually, the projects are the ones listed at the top of the main listing of threads. Go here and you'll see what I mean...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=147

The top thread "International Holiday Card Riot" is one of the projects being offered right now.

Or here... http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=147

Project Discussion: Still Life Painting - Pastels is another one.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

WOW, those bananas are fantastic. I think you should sign and frame it. It's wonderful!! How big is it?

Paula

scall0way
11-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Lisa, lovely atmospheric bananas though. Very nice. I'm holding out for a piece of the cake though. :)

fortysomething
11-11-2005, 02:49 PM
...How big is it? Paula
Paula, I would've written sooner, but I had to stop laughing first. (My husband made a rather left-handed remark about my bananas when I showed him the drawing yesterday.) It was done on 9x12 Art Spectrum paper. I'm pleased you like them.

Anyway, yesterday's bananas are today's banana cake.

Debbie, here's a piece of cake for you. It seemed rude to offer it without a beverage- I hope coffee is ok. Electronically speaking, it has ZERO calories. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2005/64375-wc_BananaCake.jpg

9x12 Art Spectrum paper, about 90 minutes.

Paula Ford
11-11-2005, 03:46 PM
LOL...men!!

OMGosh!! I love the this painting! Again, I think you should sign and frame this one also!!

Love your style!

Paula

scall0way
11-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Oh wow Lisa, that cake and coffee picture is just FABULOUS. My jaw drops. how perfect and beautiful. And zeroes calories is about what I can afford. :D That sure looks like one for the framer to me.

Here's one more for me, about 60-70 minutes. This is from a ref photo I took this summer up in New Brunswick, Canada. I loved these old and slightly delapidated buildings on the edge of a swampy pond.

fortysomething
11-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Debbie, those cattails are awesome. I love cattails, and had my husband pick some for me for a still life set-up. I've tried to get them on paper a couple of times. I'll be happy with it when mine look like yours do- graceful and real looking. I love the blue and red rooftops, especially the weathered barn.

I think you and I are having too much fun with this thread this week. :D heheh... can't wait 'til next week... maybe some of the others lurking about would like to join the sketch party.... like our hostess??

Paula, I've missed your sketch this week. :crying: I really enjoy your work. I don't mean to monopolize your party- I was just having such a good time, I kinda forgot myself. Nobody gets better without practice, and the time limit of your sketch thread helps keep me focused on getting things right the first time. I still wish you'd come play for a while. 5 minutes? It doesn't have to be very big... ;) :)

Paula Ford
11-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Debbie, Your landscape is lovely! I love the way you used the blue roof to mimick the water and sky. Beautifully done!

Lisa, I'm so glad you're having a wonderful time sketching! If you posted 10 sketches a day, it wouldn't be too much!! :D

I'm so sorry I haven't been here much. Not to make excuses, but ever since I moved to Chattanooga, my job takes up a great deal of my time, especially the drive. It takes about an hour to get there and, of course, an hour back, plus the overtime I put in.

LOL, when I lived in TX, my job was 8 minutes from my house and I was able to go home for lunch!

Hopefully one day I'll get used to being away from home for 13+ hours a day (though I hear that is a typical day for most Americans so I should just get over it). Maybe if I became a full-time, famous artist????? :D

I'm sorry to vent! Will try much harder from now on!!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_203.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYCSUS)

Paula

fortysomething
11-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Paula, I understand commuting and 50 hour work weeks. They don't leave much room for living. I've been having fun on your thread, and wanted you to have some fun too. No pressure- just a friendly invitation. :) (That was a vent??)

Paula Ford
11-12-2005, 10:40 PM
LOL, I guess in my head I was venting, but it didn't seem that way typed.

HERE it is!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I did my sketch!

From a photo i took in Upstate NY last weekend visiting my mom.

BTW Lisa, I sure had fun doing it...thanks!

Paula

khourianya
11-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Your schedule sounds alot like mine - I leave at 7am and don't get home until 6pm most days - not quite 13 hrs, but if overtime gets worked, then it creeps up there fast. Thank goodness for being a unionized public employee - it doesn't happen often.

I ask Cam daily when i can just stay home and be a famous artist. He says whenever my paintings make more money than my school board job does...lol. So I listed a painting on Ebay this week..Hey - he laid out the clause so if I can make it, then i can stay at home right? :D

I haven't been sketching as much lately. I should have posted my VPON sketchathon sketches here a couple of weeks ago. oh well - I'll remember next time

I did just buy some watersoluble graphite pencils so i may be sketching in those shortly :D

fortysomething
11-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Paula, it's beautiful. I'm so glad you found some time for yourself. Mental health is important to physical well-being, and our mental state often affects our physical health. There's something about a new sheet of paper that let's us decide where we want to be for the moment. What a serene place you've just shared with me. Thank you. :)

Cori, I've been under the impression that both you and Paula were already working as professional artists by the quality of the work posted here. I had no idea you both have regular "day jobs." I hope you work for artist supply companies that offer a hefty employee discount. :D :D :D

Paula Ford
11-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Paula, it's beautiful. I'm so glad you found some time for yourself. Mental health is important to physical well-being, and our mental state often affects our physical health. There's something about a new sheet of paper that let's us decide where we want to be for the moment. What a serene place you've just shared with me. Thank you. :)

Cori, I've been under the impression that both you and Paula were already working as professional artists by the quality of the work posted here. I had no idea you both have regular "day jobs." I hope you work for artist supply companies that offer a hefty employee discount. :D :D :D

You are so sweet Lisa!! Thank you

I wish I did work for an artists supply! Nope, I work for an industrial engineering firm as their Supervisor of Administrative Services. That means I run the office and do just about everything from planning office parties to extensive computer work, document control, supervision. Got this job several months ago (after leaving a wonderful company I'd been with for 10+ years because I had to move cross-country) and I have never seen such unfriendly, unwelcoming, backstabbing ... well, you get the idea. There I go again venting :evil:

Pastels are my outlet, my sanctuary, my soul comes pouring out into my paintings. I think of nothing else when I'm painting except making a beautiful place to go.

Paula

artist60164
11-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Hello all!

I am still trying to find my way around this wc world. It is so big, I get lost sometimes.

I am trying to subscribe to only one forum/thread at a time so I can follow along.

Thanks for the welcome.

I love soft pastels and op's (which I am having a hard time learning) :wave:

khourianya
11-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Pastels are my outlet, my sanctuary, my soul comes pouring out into my paintings. I think of nothing else when I'm painting except making a beautiful place to go.

That is beautiful, Paula.

And Lisa - I am very flattered by your comment. Nope - not a professional artist, in the fine arts sense. I am actually a professional graphic and web designer so my day job it kinda arty too (thugh my most recent job is also about half writing, my other passion, so i am in heaven).

I've actually only been pastelling for a little over a year now, but I love it. Wet canvas keeps me motivated to keep painting and the quality of my work has jumped trememdously since joining here.

Paula Ford
11-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Hello all!

I am still trying to find my way around this wc world. It is so big, I get lost sometimes.

I am trying to subscribe to only one forum/thread at a time so I can follow along.

Thanks for the welcome.

I love soft pastels and op's (which I am having a hard time learning) :wave:

Hello artist60164 :wave: Welcome to the weekly pastel sketch thread!

Why don't you join in, or just hang out with us and enjoy!

Paula

scall0way
11-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Paula, I love your sketch. I'm so glad you found time to do it. The fall colors are so lovely. I want to be able to do landscapes like yours when I grow up. I'm in awe of your trees which I have been unable to master yet. Mine (as per my sketch earlier in the thread) still tend to be mostly just scumbled green blobs.

But I hear everyone about the darn job thing interfering, my hours are not quite as bad as yours. I leave for work about 7 AM, have (usually, weather and traffic permitting) about a 30-minute commute, and generally get home in the 5:30-6 PM time frame. Luckily I like my job, get along well with co-workers, and don't have to deal with office politics and back-stabbing (well not MUCH at any rate, LOL). But over the past year that I have been taking art lessons, and 8 months with pastels, I find the things I most enjoy are still lifes and landscapes. Still live *composition* is still a big struggle, though the painting process is not as bad. Landscapes are just the opposite. Nature seems to abound with quite a new nice compositions, but the painting part involves so many tricky things - sky, clouds, water, trees, etc.

Well I have to keep practicing, and these weekly sketch threads are great for that. See you all in next week's thread.