PDA

View Full Version : Internet art sales on demand

cwnyc
01-24-2002, 08:48 AM
I'm sure many of you may have already heard of cafepress.com.

For those who haven't, I'll sum it up quickly-

They use a business model I'm fascinated with as it relates to the net.
You can put up your own images, and users are able to order various products with your images on it. Shirts, mousepads, etc. The catch is that cafepress handles ALL of the actual work. They print everything, handle the charges, and do all the shipping. You set your own price (at or above cafepress' base price) and receive all of the profit above cafepress' base on every sale. On demand service arguably at its best.

So anyway, I found a new site which uses a similar business model.
It's called zazzle.com. Slightly different structure and pricing ( you receive 12% on every sale) but essentially the same species.
What's interesting about zazzle is that they offer poster printing at up to 35"x52.5", plus on canvas! This could potentially make them very appealing as a source for prints, as you can pass on all the work and cost to them.

I haven't used either yet, so I can't comment on quality and durability personally, but these are definitely worth checking out as a potential source of income for artists.

CarlyHardy
01-24-2002, 12:40 PM
Cafe Press is used here at WetCanvas. I've purchased a sweatshirt from them with the WetCanvas logo...very good quality and doesn't fade out in the wash! I know several of the artists here use it also for personal sales from their websites. I had good experience with my purchase from them...fast shipping!

Not familiar with Zazzle. Let us know if you do the posters...I'd be interested in how they turn out.
carly

Sumafra
01-24-2002, 10:36 PM
Sounds interesting. I tried to check out their site but you can only access it 'by invitation', so I wasn't able to. Let us know when they're up and running.

pixieled
01-31-2002, 11:01 AM
I do have some art on Zazzle.com. I've order the heavy weight posters. They come out beautiful. Better than I expected. The one I had done of my Crystal Rose painting looks even better than the original.

I'm pleased with their service and how the items turn out. The only thing I don't like is that I can't set my own prices.

champagneharley
09-10-2003, 01:44 PM
I was pleased with cards and postcards I got from Café Press, and carry around with me so can show them as examples of my artwork. Comes in VERY handy!
There is also 'ezprints'.
Regards,
Jillian

Elankat
09-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by cwnyc
I haven't used either yet, so I can't comment on quality and durability personally, but these are definitely worth checking out as a potential source of income for artists.

If you do a search on zazzle or cafe press in the business and internet sales forums, you'll find some input about the quality and other things from people who've used these services.

I've only put one thing through my Cafe Press shop and found the color quality lacking. The red tones were way overemphasized.

kiwicockatoo
09-10-2003, 05:16 PM
I have a cafepress store. I've ordered two mugs and a tee with three different designs and all were pretty close to the originals (they are only as good as the pictures you upload!). The mugs were excellent quality - the tee wasn't as good but good enough! The decal on the tee was a bit stiff - I haven't tried washing it yet.

Try a search here - there have been lots of threads on cafepress in the past.:)

Elankat
09-10-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by kiwicockatoo
(they are only as good as the pictures you upload!).

Not in my experience. I uploaded a very high res file that was color corrected in photoshop with a calibrated monitor. The mousepads that I received made the skin tones look like a sun burn. I was very dissatisfied.