PDA

View Full Version : Name That Classical Painting!

eileenclaire
11-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Join in on this fun, exciting game!

Can you identify the artist of the painting below?

You don't have to know art history to play. If you can use a search engine to track clues, you can do well at this game (that's how I play!). It's a fun way to learn about art history.

If you name the artist, you will have the honor of posting the next mystery classical painting. If you are sure of your answer, feel free to post the next painting right away.

BUT - please rename your image. Players will right click on the image to find what you have named it, so don't give any clues away.

Good luck!

Here is one you might recognize (an easy one to start off with!):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2005/21757-mysteryclassical1.jpg

This thread was inspired by Jodi's (jo b) Legion of Honor thread. :) Thanks for the inspiration, Jodi! :wave:

idahogirl
11-04-2005, 07:58 PM
removed

jo_b
11-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Aaaaaah come on Eileen you gotta do harder then that! :rolleyes:
Geeeesh!, it is one of Rembrandt's many self portraits painted in 1640

Jodi

Ok let me see, HUMMMMMM?

jo_b
11-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Okay, How about this one:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2005/59346-I_am_not_as_dumb_as_I_look.jpg

Good Luck :D

Jodi

Nickel
11-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Cool Eileen!!!!

Jodi, I am, LOL! U know what I mean? LOL

This is going to be fun. :) Still smiling :)

rosebard
11-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Hey, Jodi a hint please. I have being searching for the last 25 minutes and nothing. I thought could be Caravagio. Nope. It isnt. I dont remember Rembrandt painting a nude. But again, didnt check. Just my guess. Come on Jodi!! Give me a hint pleaseeeeee....

eileenclaire
11-04-2005, 10:32 PM
come on Eileen

That's my song, Jodi! Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners. Thanks for singing my song. :music: :music:

The one you posted is gorgeous. I am excited, because I know I am going to feast on some beautiful paintings in this thread. I'm going to hunt this one down. I'll be back!

rosebard
11-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Oh well, I give up for tonight. Late already (00:50). I will try tomorrow. If Jodi give a hint or anyone has better luck than me. :)

jo_b
11-05-2005, 01:10 AM
It is posted for less then 1 hour and you guys are already asking for a hint??? Boy, that does not seem like much of an effort to me, but ok..... a small one to start.
The Artist is from the Baroque era.
Have a good night all, I am going to bed, maybe by the morning, someone will have guessed it right. :D

Jodi

rosebard
11-05-2005, 08:32 AM
I give up another hour and half searching and nothing. :(

Hope someone else is having a better luck.

Jodi, the tip is indeed very small. How much baroque painters are there on the past??? EEk, just too many. Ok a question, is it from a well known baroque painter or not??
Just another hint!!! Thank you.

river rat
11-05-2005, 12:38 PM
C'mon guys the art history forum is laughing at us. Would it be Bathsheba by Willem Drost?

Hope I'm not being overly confident, but here's the next. One of my favorites. Shouldn't be too tough.

Nickel
11-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Would it be The Lute Player. 1610, Orazio Gentileschi

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2005/39040-The_Lute_Player._1610,_Orazio_Gentileschi.jpg

Nickel
11-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Guess Who?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2005/39040-sunnydaysandrainynights.jpg

eileenclaire
11-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Is it Beauty and the Beast?

Sorry, couldn't resist :D.

Actually, it's
Titania, Bottom and the Fairies
by Henry Fuseli (1741-1825)

Nickel
11-05-2005, 03:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2005/39040-7846-rofl.gif

Yeah!!!

or Beauty & the Donkey :wave:

jo_b
11-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Gee! Sorry River, I was busy this morning and could not reply! :o
Of course you were correct it is Drost's Bathsheba, very good! I was a bit surprised that it took that long. :wink2:
It looks like we are flying now though.
So Eileen, it is your turn again. Make it a good one!

Jodi

Nickel
11-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Gee! Sorry River, I was busy this morning and could not reply! :o
Of course you were correct it is Drost's Bathsheba, very good! I was a bit surprised that it took that long. :wink2:
It looks like we are flying now though.
So Eileen, it is your turn again. Make it a good one!

Jodi

Thank goodness for the RiverRat! My eyeballs are sore. Image overload...

So they are laughing at us....they can come play too unless they're scared! :eek:

Show me what you got...heehee...give'em a good one Eileen.....

Jodi you crack me up .....

eileenclaire
11-05-2005, 06:37 PM
So they are laughing at us....they can come play too unless they're scared! :eek:

Sounds like a challenge - you've laid down the gauntlet :D . Thanks for thinking of the butt icon, Nickel, it completely slipped my mind.

Sorry for holding up the game!

Here is the next one, of a similar theme to the previous one:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2005/21757-classical_mystery_2.jpg

eileenclaire
11-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Is it Beauty and the Beast?

Sorry, couldn't resist :D.

Actually, it's
Titania, Bottom and the Fairies
by Henry Fuseli (1741-1825)

Just in case anyone thinks I am some sort of art history maven, I'll tell you how I found this one. I typed the words "satyr classical painting" into Google, and found it in less than a minute.

Now why am I giving my secrets away??? :rolleyes:

jo_b
11-05-2005, 08:33 PM
HeHe, this is fun!!!!!! :D

Eileen your gauntlet is too small for me :p

The Quarrel of Oberon and Titania by Sir Joseph Noel Paton

I have to cook dinner, I will be back to post the next one later, sorry :D

Jodi

jo_b
11-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Okee Dokee, I am back, and am now ready to give you all another goody to find. But when it is named and the next one is posted, I will not play, not that I don't want to but I don't want to hog this game. So I will just lurk for a while and cheer on the other players!

So here goes: Keeping somewhat in the fairy rhelm :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2005/59346-bla_bla.jpg

Have a good weekend all,

Jodi

rosebard
11-05-2005, 10:06 PM
I typed the words "satyr classical painting" into Google, and found it in less than a minute.

Cant believe Eilleen. I took hours way and no luck. I guess I need to get more of your secrets. Thanks for the tip anyway.

:)

saintlukesguild
11-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Wait a minute! Back up! Riverrat was wrong. That nude was by Hugh Heffner, Playboy Centerfold, January Issue, 1964.

Nickel
11-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Intermission,,,,tick,,,tock,,,,just for Luke and Double R

http://www.horror-wood.com/buch_int.htm

rosebard
11-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Hope everyone is having agreat weekend out of the computer and enjoying the family. I am! OK, tried to find this one Jodi, but no such a luck. Is my search engineer with a problem or is it my lack of imagination to use the right word? LOLOLOL

Anyway, I spent lot of time staring at this one. Looking at the details, the modelling of the figure, the flesh.... everything looks so detailed and perfect. But I cant find the tittle and the autor!!!!!! :( :( :(

Jodiiiiiiiiiiiii a hint, two hints, three hints. .....................

:) :)

jo_b
11-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Sure Rose,
the artist was from the Mannerism's movement. Does that help? :D

Have a good one,
Jodi

stlukesguild
11-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Jan Sanders van Hemessen
"Vanity"
c. 1535-40
http://musenor.poleuniv-lille-npdc.fr/php/notice/index.php?ref=0018&id=5745725533f06285630e19&lang=fr

stlukesguild
11-07-2005, 12:17 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Nov-2005/39499-MysteryClassicsmall.jpg

jo_b
11-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Great job David, doubt if you needed the clue to get this painting :wink2:, with your background, but I figured that once I said it it would be guessed quite quickly.

Love the piece you choose!

Jodi

rosebard
11-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Thank you David. That was kind. :)

GEERTGEN tot Sint Jans
Nativity, at Night
1484-90
Oil on oak, 34 x 25 cm
National Gallery, London

I would think that write a little about the piece or the artist would give to some of us, something to learn. So here is what I learned about this Artist. He was from Netherland, active in Haarleem. No much is know about his career. He studied under Ouwater and died at tthe age of 28.
For the monastery church of the Brethren he painted his only documented work, a triptych of the Crucifixion, of which two large panels (originally two sides of a wing) survive (Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna). Unlike the Vienna panels, most of the other pictures given to him are fairly small. They include such remarkably beautiful works as the Nativity (National Gallery, London), a radiant nocturnal scene, and St John the Baptist in the Wilderness (Staatliche Museen, Berlin), which shows an exquisite feeling for nature.
The vein of tender melancholy that pervades Geertgen's work, the beguilingly innocent charm of his figures, and his sensitivity to light are perhaps the salient qualities that make him one of the most irresistibly attractive artists of the Early Netherlandish School.

source:webgallery.com

rosebard
11-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Here is mine:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2005/54461-namethispainting1.jpg

Enjoy!! :) :wave:

eileenclaire
11-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Rose, you made that one look sooooo easy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you know that one right away or did you have to look for it? (Just snooping around for your secrets, lol!) Thanks for the info on the artist, very interesting. I have seen this one, it is on the tip of my tongue, and if I have time today I will be back - a beautiful painting by the way.

stlukesguild
11-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Not much remains by Geertgen (or any of the early Flemish painters from the Northern/Protestant regions due to the great iconoclast uprisings that followed the Spanish crack-down on Protestants in their Flemish colonies. I've always loved the porcelien-doll-like quality of the figures in this painting.

jo_b
11-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Okay. I have waited all day for someone else to post the answer to this georgous French Academic painting, since I love All of Paul Delaroche's masterpieces, I just couldn't wait any longer :D Sorry,

Oh yes the title of this is :
La Jeune Martyre (The Young Martyr) painted in 1855

Jodi

jo_b
11-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Here is a landscape, for a change of pace! Classical of course :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2005/59346-not_here!.jpg

Jodi

eileenclaire
11-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Okay. I have waited all day for someone else to post the answer to this georgous French Academic painting, since I love All of Paul Delaroche's masterpieces, I just couldn't wait any longer :D Sorry,

Oh yes the title of this is :
La Jeune Martyre (The Young Martyr) painted in 1855

Jodi

I know I have recently seen this one in my travels. It's good to know the artist though, so I can check out more of his work.

I'm sure this new one isn't Turner, but he's the only classical landscape artist that I know of. I'll see what I can come up with.

jo_b
11-07-2005, 11:32 PM
LOLOL :D You have got to be kidding me Eileen, you MUST know other classical landscape artists :rolleyes: You have been hanging in the portrait forum too much :D You need to get out more dear. Hang around here long enough and you will see quite a few! As a matter of fact, I did a thread on the entire Hudson River Valley School of artists a few months ago. They were the premier American landscape artists. Their founder, Thomas Cole, was inspired by Turner. Here is a link to it if you would like to read about them and see some of the most magnificent landscapes of your life!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286639&highlight=hudson+river+valley.

Back to this artist, was well before Turners time :D Guess that is a hint :wink2:
Have a great night all,
Jodi

jo_b
11-07-2005, 11:46 PM
One more think......
I think this is a great thread :clap: Thanks Eileen for starting it here!
If anyone else feels the same way as I do and want to make sure it stays around, (and Eileen too of course) make sure to vote for it!!!!!! I have given it 5 stars!

Jodi

bjs0704
11-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Jodi, I have no idea who did your marine painting, but the sky is so incredibly gorgeous! :cool: :cool: :cool:

All of you are finding the most wonderful paintings! I am really learning from all of you!

David -Geertgen's painting are truly fantastic! I totally agree with you! His figures are so delicate and the light is so special.

Thanks Eileen, this is a wonderful idea!

Best wishes,

Barb Solomon :cat:

eileenclaire
11-08-2005, 04:26 PM
LOLOL :D You have been hanging in the portrait forum too much :D You need to get out more dear. Jodi

You are right about that! That's why I am delighted to be hanging around this forum - I actually get to look at still lifes and landscapes!

I'm glad you like this thread, Jodi. You inspired it! Thanks for the link to the Hudson River Valley School artists. You're right - there are some masterpieces in there.

Hi Barb! Nice to see you enjoying this game. I am learning so much here myself. (Not hard to do, because I know so little!)

Okay, I'm going to take a poor stab at this. Is it Poussin? If it's not him, am I at least in the right time frame?

bjs0704
11-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Fitz Hugh Lane ?

jo_b
11-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi Ladies :wave:
Wow that is some broad time line there between those two artists :D
No sorry Barb- he is not a Hudson River Valley School artist, :o But he certainly was similar in style huh?

Eileen- which one? Gaspard or Nicolas? HeHe, not that it matters, they are both incorrect :eek: , but the time frame is right. :clap: So the artist was from the Baroque era!

Need any other clues, or do you think you can find him (oops that is another clue shoot) ?

Jodi

bjs0704
11-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Ruisdael, Jacob

jo_b
11-08-2005, 07:53 PM
OMG!!!!!!! :eek: SO CLOSE :D LOLOL
just one familial step away Barb, sooooooo????????? :wink2:

Jodi

jo_b
11-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Ahhhhhh, close enough, :D

RUYSDAEL, Salomon van
(b. ca. 1602, Naarden, d. 1670, Haarlem)
Painting Title: River Scene 1660

Dutch landscape painter of the Baroque style, uncle of the landscape artist Jacob van Ruisdael. Originally named de Goyer, as was his brother Isaak (also a painter and the father of Jacob van Ruisdael), Salomon entered the Haarlem Guild of St Luke in 1628. His first dated pictures are from 1627. He spent his whole life in Haarlem, where he was head of the guild in 1648. Van Ruysdael's early works - winter scenes - continue the tradition of Esaias van de Velde, and his early landscapes are based on the colour schemes and compositions of Pieter Molyn; it has been suggested that he may have studied with either or both painters. At least by 1628 he is mentioned as a landscape painter of Haarlem. Unlike certain other landscape painters of the period, his nephew among them, van Ruysdael generally painted actual landscapes of such places as Arnhem, Dordrecht, and Utrecht, sometimes combining motifs from different places in one picture. His early river landscapes of the 1630s, which are characterized by diagonal compositions of the dunes, are similar in composition and use of colour to the celebrated river scenes of his contemporary Jan van Goyen. Experts agree that van Ruysdael's most powerful work was done after 1645. His command of the landscape elements - great trees anchoring one side of the composition, distant views that draw the eye, and a vast expanse of sky and clouds - seems more assured, and his use of colour for effect more brilliant. From that point van Ruysdael became increasingly interested in light effects and decorative elements in his compositions. Critics have speculated that his change of style was in part owing to the influence of several Dutch painters (such as Jan Both) who were returning to Holland from study in Italy.
Many of van Ruysdael's later works are monumental in format and design, and they exhibit a masterly rendering of atmospheric effects. Though his landscapes are most characteristic of his work, between 1659 and 1662 van Ruysdael also painted a number of excellent still-lifes of game. His son Jacob Salomonszoon (1635-81) was also a landscape artist.

Tag, you're it now Barb :D

Jodi

rosebard
11-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Really a beautifull landscape Jodi. Thanks for the info very interesting to read. I love this thread. :)

Barb your turn. :)

bjs0704
11-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Ok, try this one!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2005/11410-barb.jpg

stlukesguild
11-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Pietro Perugino
"Apollo and Marsyas"
Collection: Louvre
http://www.abcgallery.com/P/perugino/perugino11.html

bjs0704
11-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Good going, David! :clap: :clap: :clap:

You've got it! It's Perugino!

LOL Tag, your it! :evil:

stlukesguild
11-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Pietro Perugino, real name Pietro Vanucci, Italian painter, master of the Umbria School, was born near Perugia in Umbria (southeast of Tuscany). We do not know about his initial training, but his early development was decisively influenced by Verrocchio and years spent in Florence, where he worked in the studio of Verrocchio, simultaneously with Leonardo da Vinci. An important role in his artistic development was played by the paintings of Piero della Francesca. In 1472, he was admitted to the Florentine guild and practically all his life he continued to get commissions from Florence. Besides Florence, Perugino worked in Perugia, Rome, Venice, Mantua, and other cities.
In 1482, Perugino, among the important painters of central Italy, including Botticelli and Ghirlandaio, was invited to carry out the large cycle of Old and New Testament Scenes in the Sistine Chapel. His fresco The Delivery of the Keys (1482) is ranked as his finest achievement, it depicts St. Peter, who as the first pope, is receiving the Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven from Christ Himself.
Among his other works are: The Vision of St. Bernard (1489), which is considered a masterpiece, The Crucifixion with the Virgin, St. John, St. Jerome and St. Mary Magdalene (c.1485), The Virgin and Child Surrounded by Two Angels, St. Rose, and St. Catherine, Pietŕ (1493-1494), The Combat of Love and Chastity. He was known as a good portrait painter: Portrait of Francesco delle Opere (1494).
Perugino played an important role in formation of his outstanding pupils Pinturiechio and Raphael, the most classic master of the High Renaissance, whose fame outshined the fame of his teacher.

stlukesguild
11-08-2005, 11:58 PM
OK... lets shift gears a bit:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2005/39499-mysteryclassic01.JPG

rosebard
11-09-2005, 08:39 AM
David, this is a beautifull painting. I loved reading the small bio you gave us. I am starting to recnize which period they may belong. That means I am learning.

Hope I have time today to search for this one. :)

eileenclaire
11-09-2005, 01:52 PM
David, thank you for the information on this artist. I love reading biographies of artists.

This latest painting looks contemporary. Am I correct in thinking that? (Or am I way off, as usual? :p)

bjs0704
11-09-2005, 03:31 PM
David,

I don't know who did this, but they are contemporary. It looks like they are influenced by the International Gothic Movement (late Middle Ages). With the white lily, I would guess that there is a reference to the Virgin Mary.

How close am I ?

stlukesguild
11-09-2005, 05:20 PM
The artist is indeed contemporary. Other paintings by her (clue! clue! :rolleyes: ) make this even more obvious:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2005/39499-mmclue.jpg

I can see the connection with the international gothic style... but more so with Botticelli (who was undoubtedly influenced by that style). Even more so, there is a direct connection with the tradition of floral/decorative painting in the history of her nation of birth. (More clues... if needed... to follow :p )

rosebard
11-09-2005, 08:54 PM
David, had fun looking at about 50 different website and meeting new artists around the globe. LOLOL Contemporary, classical realism of course.

Well good luck to the others who are looking for this one. :)

:) :)

eileenclaire
11-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Even more so, there is a direct connection with the tradition of floral/decorative painting in the history of her nation of birth.
Hmmm - could she be Russian?
(Shamelessly fishing for clues here :p ).

stlukesguild
11-10-2005, 12:31 AM
You're obviously fishing in the right spot. She is indeed Russian. One sight I came across lists her as having been trained and mastered the traditional Russian craft of lacquer painting, but as most of the text was in Russian I can't give much more of a clue in that area.

persianus
11-10-2005, 09:38 PM
This painting reminds me of Guido Reni, is it from him ?

stlukesguild
11-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Ah, Guido... nope. Contemporary, Russian, Female... and now for the next clue:

stlukesguild
11-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Ah, Guido... nope. Contemporary, Russian, Female... and now for the next clue:

Graduate of the I.E. repin Institute for Painting, Sculpture and Architecture

persianus
11-11-2005, 02:53 AM
I think I got confusede,

what painting are we talking about now ?

BR

Persianus (CK)

rosebard
11-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Hi Persianus, Welcome to Classical Forum! Glad you joining the game!

Here is the painting we trying to find the Artist and the title:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2005/39499-mysteryclassic01.JPG

Good Luck!!

eileenclaire
11-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Persianus, thanks for joining in :wave: .

David, this is a tough one. Even with all of those clues, I have a guess but I am not confident in it.

My guess is Julia Bekhova. She's a Russian realist, graduated from the school you mentioned, but I couldn't find these two paintings among her work on the internet.

jo_b
11-11-2005, 06:42 PM
You Know David- I think this must be the most obscure artist in existence. I have searched forever for her, and frankly, I give up!!!! If it were someone from the 19th century, (classical , not modern realist) then I know I would have found it if I did not already know it by eye, but this has me totally stumped, sorry! :o

Jodi

persianus
11-11-2005, 07:20 PM
I think I found it :)

"Portrait with Amaryllises"

from Tatyana Fedorova,

Regards,

Persianus (CK)

bjs0704
11-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Persianus - If it turns out that you are right, I'm going to have to give both you and David a triple "Congratulations"! :)

jo_b
11-11-2005, 08:46 PM
He is Right here it is:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.academart.com/zoom/Fedorova/IMG_0005.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.academart.com/Fedorova.htm&h=750&w=640&sz=51&tbnid=d_gy3GkUeFYJ:&tbnh=140&tbnw=119&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3DPortrait%2Bwith%2BAmaryllises%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2005-20,GGLG:en

Bless You persianus!!!! :angel: Finally someone has put us out of our misery :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jodi

bjs0704
11-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Persianus - http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2005/11410-wav.gif

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations!Congratulations!Congratulations!

That one was a tricky one!

eileenclaire
11-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Persianus!

My hat is off to you!!

How on earth did you find this?

You are a master at this game!

Your turn :)!

bjs0704
11-11-2005, 10:36 PM
David - You found a good one! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2005/11410-pullhair.gif

Good going! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations!Congratulations!Congratulations!

Barb Solomon

rosebard
11-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Congratulations Persianus, you got it! Hope you dont be as hard on us as David. :) :) :)

stlukesguild
11-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Congrats!!! :clap: Persianus!!! Sorry it was so tough :evil: but those guys I play with on the Art History forum can seemingly find anything. :p Still I must admit this was a tough one. Good job!!!

stlukesguild
11-12-2005, 01:11 AM
I've only been able to find out a very little about Tatyana Fedorova. She was born in 1952. She graduated from the I.E. Repin Institute for Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture, St. Petersburg where she underwent intense training in traditional decorative and realist painting techniques. She would later teach drawing at the Institute. In 1979 she recieved a Diploma of the USSR Academy of Arts. In 1984 she participated in an International Exhibit in Paris. In 1988, 3 of her paintings were purchased by the State Tretyakov Gallery and placed in its permanent collection. She is a member of the Academy of Art Foundation which operates a website, organizes exhibitions and international shows of work by Faculty and Alumni of the I.E. Repin Institute. Fedorova exhibits not only exquisitely finished "neo-classical" paintings with her trademark use of decorative floral motifs, but she also exhibits purely decorative work of traditional Russian lacquer painting. These works include painting on eggs (ala Faberge), ceramic plates, dishes, cups, etc... She credits much of the imagery in her work to her love of Russian literature and fairy-tales.

persianus
11-12-2005, 03:42 AM
Hello all of you :wave:

Thanks you all for the congratulations,

Here is another one to search, I hope easier than David's :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2005/7959-mystery-painting.jpg

Happy searching :wave:

Cheers,

Persianus (CK).

Nickel
11-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Persianus (CK) Wow what an interesting painting! I'd like to paint a copy of this!!!

eileenclaire
11-12-2005, 10:49 PM
That is an interesting painting, Persianus. I don't recognize it, but hopefully someone else will.

Unless of course you are willing to part with a clue or two? :angel:

persianus
11-13-2005, 09:03 PM
A clue for Eileen :wave:

late 19th/early 20th

Northern Europe

With all these clues you should "freeze" by now :wink2:

Regards,

Persianus (CK) :)

eileenclaire
11-13-2005, 09:20 PM
I like your clues, Persianus! Northern Europe - Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway. Have I left any out? The period you stated would be the Symbolist movement, I believe. The first artist that comes to my mind would be Munch. But it's never that easy, is it? I'll be back with a better guess later!

Nickel
11-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Tristan and Isolde or

Sir Lancelot and Queen Guinevere or

Luke Skywalker & Princess Leia

I am having no luck

Is Siberia cold enough? :)

jo_b
11-14-2005, 03:10 PM
LOLOL I'll bet you are right Nickel, it must be Luke and Leia :D

Jodi

persianus
11-14-2005, 04:45 PM
You are not far Eileen :wave: :) just a little extra effort :wave:

Nickel, focus on the style, not the content, you are too far, :p

Nickel
11-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Figures :( I am a hopeless romantic :)

I cant take my eyes off the feathers! Amazing.

Eileen how are you doing with this one?

eileenclaire
11-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Well, I'm now familiar with the major players of the Symbolist movement. But I can't find any that fit the bill for this painting. Now I am more curious than ever to hear the artist's name, since I'm sure I will be saying, "Aha - I should have figured that out!"

Do you have any more clues for us, Persianus? Or should we declare ourselves stumped?

Nickel
11-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Eileen that is so funny, I have been walking around all day saying

Stump the monkey :wave:

persianus
11-16-2005, 12:55 AM
Hello guys :wave: glad you learned more about symbolist, that was the goal of my choice,

A last clue :angel: look around Prinz Eugens of Sweden (an artist himself), it was a friend of his,

Come on Eileen, one last lap :clap:

Cheers,

Paersianus (CK)

eileenclaire
11-16-2005, 09:18 AM
glad you learned more about symbolist, that was the goal

Ah, I see! Well, I reached that goal for sure :D.

My final guess is Ivan Agueli. I looked at his work in my search, but couldn't find this painting. This fellow spoke 16 languages!

This was quite a tough one. I sure hope my guess is correct!

persianus
11-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Sorry Eileen, :( that wasn't Ivan Aguelli,

The painting is called the "Young Miaden and the Night" by Richard Bergh,

In one of my travels I had the chance to sneek out of work sessions at lunch time and visit the Valdemarsudde exhibit. This painting was huge and really caught my eye. Another painting of his that is most known is "Nordic summer evening"

He did a lot of interesting portrait, but really the one I couldn't take of my mind was this one. I had never of him before and felt that it was a neglected painter that ought to be known, at least by symbolists, romantics,...That's why I posted it, not really to make things hard for you guys :angel:

Here is a biographic link (alas too short) http://www.waldemarsudde.com/ click english on the left task bar, then previous exhibits on the middle screen bar. You'll get a thumbnail with his name above it.

Links in english are scarce :(

In the exhibit, a nice lady who knew enough english explained to me that Bergh had the armor shipped from France. His young daughter standing on a chair modeled for him as the young maiden. All throughout the exhibit, you would see a plethora of small sketches of the armor and especially the helmet with the colored feathers. He tried different ways of painting it (I can remeber 5 or 6 at least), so it must have been an important part of the painting.

I am including here few paintings of Bergh glanned of the web

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2005/7959-summerevening.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2005/7959-Portrait_of_August_Strindberg_by_Richard_Bergh_1905.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2005/7959-bergh2b.jpg title : "after the end of the modeling session"

if you try a search on google images (images.google.com) on Richrd Bergh you'll see many other paintings including portraits that I feel are outstanding,

I have both a postcard and a poster of the "young maiden and the knight" but misplaced them. Need to look under a lot of junk. If anybody is planning to make a copy, I may be able to scan one of these at high resolution and send them. Please let me know....

A big :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: to all of you who tried so hard,
and a special "Yeehah" for Eileen, as she was very very close, :)

So, who picks the next one ?

Greetings to you all :wave:

Persianus (CK)

ps: BTW Eileen, do you have a link of Ivan Ageulli you are wiling to share. Have been looking for a long time to see some of his paintings, alas without success.

jo_b
11-17-2005, 06:36 PM
No one guess it persianus, so you do!!! Take it a little easier on us this time though would ya? :D

BTW- I went to that site and searched his name, since there are very few artists listed as symbolists and I did not see this painting anywhere!!!!!. Where on the web is a photo of this painting??? :confused:

Jodi

persianus
11-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Hello y'all :wave:

The new mystery painting

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2005/7959-mystery-new-2.jpg

This should be an interlude for you guys :angel:

Jodi, I'll send you in a little while the links I have where I found the maiden and the knight, just can't find them in my horrendous bookmark,

Happy search ,

Cheers :wave:

Persianus (CK)

stlukesguild
11-18-2005, 12:22 AM
Lorenzo Lotto
"St. Catherine"
National Gallery of Art

stlukesguild
11-18-2005, 12:25 AM
persianus- Don't be so quick to give up on us. I had come across Bergh (among other Scandanavian artists) and I suppose it was only a matter of time. That pesky day job gets in the way, though.

persianus
11-18-2005, 12:33 AM
Hello Stlukesguild :wave:

Yes that was right.

Maybe too easy :p I should have spiced it up a little bit *sigh*, well next time I will hehe :D

All right, it's your turn now :)

Cheers :clap:

Persianus (CK)

eileenclaire
11-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Persianus, here is the link to Ivan Agueli. If you scroll down on it, you can see that he was imprisoned for being an anarchist and then Prince Eugene had him freed. So there was that connection, but still the wrong guy!

http://arthistory.heindorffhus.dk/frame-agueli.htm

Funny, I didn't run across Richard Bergh in my travels. Yet his paintings are lovely!

Jody, here is a link to the painting. Couldn't find a link in English though.

http://www.sub.su.se/national/tmyt5.htm

You were quick on the latest one, David! I'll look forward to your next mystery painting.

persianus
11-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Many thanks Eileen :wave:

Thanks for Aguelli's link :D

Also, thanks for finding the link of the painting. That was the same I had but couldn't find it in my messy bookmark,

The painting in the Valdemarsudde was very cracked, so it explains the lack of sharpness of forms. As soon as I find the postcard I got from that museum, I will send a scanned version of it, which will probably be better. It is however a detail focusing around the main figures (the painting is actually very square)

The Valdemasudde sells a book about Richrd Bergh but in Swedish. After thought, I should have gotten it then, as I cannot find any book in english about him. They may still have it in their shop,

Persianus (CK)

stlukesguild
11-18-2005, 02:59 PM
OK... here's our next one:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2005/39499-mmclassicalartsmall.jpg

Nickel
11-19-2005, 12:41 AM
The Temptation of Christ
c. 1500-04
Oil on panel, painted surface: 21 x 15,5 cm, panel: 21,3 x 16 cm
National Gallery of Art, Washington

http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/j/juan/tempt.html :evil:

This tiny panel was painted by Juan for Queen Isabel's private altar.

You should have know I'd be able to find a horned fellow pretty easy :p

Thanks Eileen for the link to the Knight :)

Nickel
11-19-2005, 01:46 AM
How fast can you get this one...it's not too hard... :wink2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2005/39040-IfitWasEasy.jpg

rosebard
11-19-2005, 08:45 AM
HI all!! I will certainly not get this one fast. But I am sure I have seeing this before somewhere. Probably by the time I come back someone will have the answer. :( But I will try. :) :) :)

Nickel
11-20-2005, 12:38 AM
This is not that hard is it???? :(

Well nobody asked for a hint so I'm gonna give you one anyway, my way. :)

Spanacopita, hmm now what's that?????

Well you know it must have to do with Nickels favorite thingy...hmm...

Yeah Food, But it also has to do with the painting, well at least in my mind ;)

Yes I have a mind,,,,really,,,it's true :wave:

Nickel
11-20-2005, 12:53 AM
Ok, you want another hint?

What do vermilion and a thermometer have in common?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2005/39040-timeisticking.gif

persianus
11-20-2005, 06:18 AM
Hi Nickel :wave:

This looks like Athena/Minerva,

Can't find the painting though; maybe in a little while :p

cheers

Persianus (CK)

Nickel
11-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Your HOT...almost on fire Persianus (CK) :wave:

Who is the Artist born in Antwerp studied under Jan Mandijin and Cornelius van Dalem?

He spent time in Paris and several environs of Italy but mostly Rome.

There he studied figure painting from Parmigianino and Federico Zuccaro.

In Rome he met Flemish painter Carl van Mander who spread his style through Flanders.

He was a court painter of Emperor Maximilian II in Vienna and Emperor Rudolf II in Prague.

His work consists largely of formalized nudes.

Did he ever eat spanakopita? :)

Best Nickel

persianus
11-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Hello Nickel, :wave:

Thanks for the clues

found it finally

http://www.paleothea.com/Gallery/AthenaIgnorance.html

Athena conquering ignorance by Bartholomäus Spranger

This one painting is not shown often, had to use some web tricks :wink2:

I doubt he ever ate Spanakopita though :D otherwise that would be really art history :D

Cheers, :)

Persianus (CK).

Nickel
11-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Good Job Persianus (CK)

This painting by Spranger is more often called “Minerva Triumphs over Ignorance.”

Minerva the Greek goddess Athena represented a different form of reason than Mercury. Mercury normally played a secondary role while Minerva dressed as a warrior, was a protégé of Hercules who represented virtue. She is usually portrayed very serious in a long robe with heavy battle gear until Spranger gave her this sexy glamorous makeover.

Best Nickel

eileenclaire
11-21-2005, 12:08 AM
She is usually portrayed very serious in a long robe with heavy battle gear until Spranger gave her this sexy glamorous makeover.

Best Nickel

It was delightful to read all of this information, thanks for that. She certainly is glamorous! But what about those feet? :confused: They don't quite look human. Aren't the goddesses usually rendered in human form?

Nickel
11-21-2005, 12:23 AM
But what about those feet? :confused:

Me don't know, lol, lack of iron in her diet?

or too iron from spanakopita, really, :D

I thought I was kidding until I remembered Popeye
Remember his feet, :o yeah and he ate spinach all the time, fought a lot too for good and love of Olive Oyl (psst, he is a classic) just a little sideshow until the next guess this classical painting arrives!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2005/39040-popeye.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2005/39040-popeyespin.jpg

persianus
11-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Hello guys, :wave:

Another one,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2005/7959-mm-painting.jpg

Happy guessing :angel:

Cheers,

Persianus (CK)

Nickel
11-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Uh angels flying...hmmm....angels celebrating...angels worshipping...surrounded by angels....choir of angels....too many angels..

This was a good one Persianus (CK) I hadn't seen it before :)

The Birth of the Virgin, 1525 (140 Kb); Pine panel; Alte Pinakothek, Munich by Albrecht Altdorfer 1480-1538

German painter, architect, and engraver.
The first landscape painter in Western art.
Spent most of his life in Regensburg, Germany.
Belongs to a group of 16th-century German artists known as the Danube school.

His style was influenced by the German painter and engraver Albrecht Durer.

Altdorfer's prints include an outstanding series of 9 etched landscapes and a set of 40 engravings collectively called The Fall and Redemption of Man.

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/altdorfer/virgin.jpg

jo_b
11-21-2005, 10:11 PM
HUM....... This painting reminds me of Peeter Neeffs I work But is not quite there. Interesting!!!

Great job Nickel!!!
Jodi

Nickel
11-21-2005, 10:20 PM
On with the hunt.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2005/39040-toomuchspinachsm.jpg

persianus
11-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Hey Nickel, good fast job, :clap: I'm impressed

Altdofer and durer are two of my all time favorites. Although Altdorfer etchings remind me of Durer I didn't know there was a direct influence; thanks for the info,

I delight seeing the red color in Altdorfer paintings, especially when he clothes the enthroned Holy Virgin,

Hmmm....your painting shows an angel with a sword. The archangel Michael probably; I need to search more.... I could swear I have seen it already... :confused:

Nickel
11-21-2005, 11:34 PM
I could swear I have seen it already... :confused:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2005/39040-IfitWasEasy.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2005/39040-toomuchspinachsm.jpg

I dont know but I see likeness of these two...what about you...look at the feet and the foot on the head...???

eileenclaire
11-21-2005, 11:38 PM
A definite similarity there, Nickel. Oh, you gave it away, Persianus. And I will be really mean and steal it from you :rolleyes: . It is Michael the archangel by Guido Reni.

I hope you will forgive me for stealing your answer, but I have a really neat painting I'd like to post. :angel: I'll be back in a little bit with it.

By the way, this archangel sure looks to me to have the face of a female. And the head seems a bit small in proportion to the body. But what do I know? :p

Nickel
11-21-2005, 11:45 PM
I delight seeing the red color in Altdorfer paintings, especially when he clothes the enthroned Holy Virgin,

Yes the red through me off thinking it was Mary.
I don't recall right-off-hand seeing her in red before.

Ah, Eileen, you tiger you!!! :) Hurry back so Persianus can get you for stealing the name game but it did kind of slip out !!! :)

eileenclaire
11-21-2005, 11:48 PM
How do you like this one?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2005/21757-hmmmmmmmmm.jpg

Nickel
11-21-2005, 11:53 PM
Yummy Eileen, you can tell what years it is not, love the tapestry background, wonder what they discovered???:) Off on the chase...where's my rabbit slippers???:)

jo_b
11-22-2005, 12:05 AM
Guido Reni, San Michele Arcangelo, 1635,
GEEEESSSS!!!! by the time I finished typing you all have gone and got it :(

Nickel, you should have picked someone more obscure :rolleyes:

Jodi

Nickel
11-22-2005, 01:01 AM
Artist: Hans Holbein (the Younger)
Born: 1497
Died: 1543
Style: Renaissance
Title: The Ambassadors
Year: 1533
Medium: Oil on Wood

Original Size: 210 x 207 cm

:wave:

Nickel
11-22-2005, 01:08 AM
:wave:

here you go

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2005/39040-dranil.jpg

eileenclaire
11-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Why that looks like Jacques Linard, Vanitas con candela. 1644.

jo_b
11-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Say you two, Eileen and Nickel, you are both doing great here, and making it almost impossible for anyone else to guess :clap: I am impressed :D
But, don't both of you have homework to do :evil: ? I don't recall seeing either one of your first velaturas yet in class, or your color studies??????

Jodi
aka. THE TEACHER!!!!! :D
Busted!!!

eileenclaire
11-22-2005, 09:12 AM
Great job, Nickel, on getting the Holbein one.

Just a few point of interest on that one.

There is a lot of hidden meaning in this painting. Some thoughts about different aspects on it which you might find interesting:

http://employees.oneonta.edu/farberas/arth/ARTH214/Ambassadors_Home.html

Here is more about the image on the floor in the forefront:

http://www.nwe.ufl.edu/~tharpold/resources/holbein/

That image is a distorted skull, which can be seen here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2005/21757-holbeinSlant.jpg

Now I ask you, how in the world did Holbein produce such a perfect distortion of that skull? Remember, this was 1533. Seemingly impossible, yet he did it.

eileenclaire
11-22-2005, 09:17 AM
I don't recall seeing either one of your first velaturas yet in class, or your color studies??????

Jodi
aka. THE TEACHER!!!!! :D
Busted!!!

LOLOL!

Okay, now I'm slinking back to my easel :o .

But just let me slip in one more, please teacher???? :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2005/21757-yeah.jpg

Nickel
11-22-2005, 09:22 AM
Hi ya this looks like to me Eileen

Italian
Gentile Da Fabriano
1370-1427
The Adoration of the Magi
Uffzi

Nickel
11-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Fantastic links to hidden meanings Eileen wow they desire some time to absorb and reflect upon with coffee and donut. :) Hubby just got back with bacon biscuit. Yum! Will save the donut for later.

Very good links indeed!:)

Jodi, my paint is still tacky, you wouldn't want me to rush? :) I do have down time where I am not painting ;)

Side note to Jacques Linard Memento Mori

The scrap of paper reads:

"This is how all our beautiful days end."

Nickel
11-22-2005, 09:48 AM
next :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2005/39040-greentapestryisnice.jpg

jo_b
11-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Nickel-
Jodi, my paint is still tacky, you wouldn't want me to rush?
No of course not. :eek:

I do have down time where I am not painting

So then I assume you have finished your color chart and will be posting a pic of that????? :D

Jodi :cat:

Nickel
11-22-2005, 09:56 AM
So then I assume you have finished your color chart and will be posting a pic of that????? :D

Jodi :cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2005/39040-geniewishgranter.gif

persianus
11-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Hello guys, :wave:

Wow, wowo, wow, it was going fast the last few rounds. Reminds me of those western movies,

Ok, this one is a Portrait of Erasmus by Hans Holbein the Younger,

Don't know much about Holbein paintings rather his drawings, very subtle line. Erasmus of course is a hero of the renaissance, philosopher of the humanism movement that sprang right after the end of the medieval era,

...must hurry....post this before Eileen and Nickel shoot me :D

Persianus (CK)

Nickel
11-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Yeah Persianus you rock!!!Nickel dont own a gun Nickel only throws rocks:)

Nickel
11-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Persianus where did you go? I am out of donuts and twiddling my fingers and toes:)

rosebard
11-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Oh I knew someone would have it before I even had a change to look for it. Oh well, maybe next one, I will be able to play. :) :) :)

You guys doing great!! This is indeed a great exercise to learn about new paintings.

:) :) :)

persianus
11-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Coming back soon, am at work, in a meeting right now actually :)

It's amazing what you can do with those wireless laptops,

Doughnuts....yummy

Persianus

persianus
11-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Hello folks, :wave:

Few, couldn't wait to get out of that meeting. Was only thinking of the next painting to post; thanks God my boss didn't ask me any questions :D

Ok, here is the next one,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2005/7959-mm-painting5.jpg

Happy guessing,

If you notice well, you already have a clue :angel:

Cheers

Persianus (CK)

jo_b
11-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Oh My- I am amazed that no one has gotten this yet

Algerian Girl, by Fredrick Authur Bridgman, American artsit, Orientalism/ Romantic 1888

Jodi

I'll Be back later with the next.

jo_b
11-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Here is the next one:

There is a clue there, if you know where to look :evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2005/59346-Mystery.jpg

Jodi

eileenclaire
11-23-2005, 03:34 PM
There is a clue there, if you know where to look :evil:
Jodi

Do you mean the one in the lower right hand corner, the signature? Well I looked, but can't really make it out - Kurt somebody?

Or maybe you are referring to another clue?

I like this painting!

Nickel
11-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Jodi I got some pie crust, lets make PIE!

Happy Thanksgiving!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4080984&postcount=430

Eileen the tip is under his hat :rolleyes: Sure don't look like Kurt Russell :D

On second thought...that's Santa...ho..ho...ho

jo_b
11-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Yup it is Santa alright!!!, good guess :rolleyes:

UHHHHH< Try again! :D

Nickel, saw the pic in the class, What it that a Centaur? and what is the thing on the ground between the lady's legs and the beast? it looks like a dog to me. :eek: YUCK!, that is not what I cook for thanksgiving, do you????

Jodi :rolleyes:

jo_b
11-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Sya- did everyone fall asleep after all their turkey???? I finally get a chance to play and you have all gone home :(

I can give another clue if you want???

HELLO????? IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE?????

Jodi

persianus
11-25-2005, 06:41 PM
Still here :)

what about a clue, hehe :angel:

Persianus

persianus
11-25-2005, 06:45 PM
The brush strokes remind me of Van Gogh, but I can't recall him painting this,

Persianus.

jo_b
11-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Okay persianus-
What you see in the painting- IS THE TITLE! :evil:

Not Van Gogh! :D

but around the same time.

Jodi

eileenclaire
11-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Squash? Fruit? Old man holding fruit? Old man sitting on table with fruit!

I'll be back with a more definitive answer, thanks for the clue!

Edited to ask: You are saying that this was painted in the 1800's then?

eileenclaire
11-29-2005, 07:45 PM
I think I'm officially stumped on this one.

Any more clues, Jodi? :)

Nickel
11-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Eileen, I think Jodi forgot us :(

Nickel
11-29-2005, 07:53 PM
I even tried Peter Piper Picked A Peck Of Pumpkins :(

eileenclaire
11-29-2005, 07:57 PM
LOL! I think she's busy with her class. We'll just have to let her slide. :D I like that tongue twister, though!

jo_b
11-29-2005, 09:41 PM
:D Hi ladies,
Sorry I have not forgotten you, just a bit overwhelmed lately!:o So much to do and so little time!!!:D
Boy, I don't know the only other clue I could give would definitely give it away, but here ya go.....
Has anyone tried doing a simple search of the artists name, which Eileen guessed immediately, ( since he signed it in the corner):rolleyes: in some of OUR FAVORITE ART SITES???????:D Now one of you should get it easily!!!

Jodi

persianus
11-30-2005, 12:13 AM
I AM clueless on this one too :) spent hours looking,

what's that thing he is holding in his hand ? (sorry guys my vegetable vocabulary is a bit reduced)

Love the brush strokes though, and the expression is tender; and the composition, oh my! I wish I can arrange a painting like that,

Let's see, an artist who visited the coutryside in the 1800, which means virtually everywhere :D an old man holding weird vegetables in his hands ready to explode :D Eureka! these are grenades :evil:

I found it, it's Georges Carlin holding to crack a joke :D

Happy search y'all, :wave: charitables souls are encouraged to end the suffering of their friends :angel:

Persianus (CK)

jo_b
11-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Okay guys, I will put you out of your misery:D

http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=16087

The Artist, Hermann Kern, 1839 to 1912.
The artist born in Hungary studied at first at the academy in Prague, went later to Vienna and finished his studies in Duesseldorf and Munich. Hermann Kern, which predominantly lived and worked starting from approximately 1880 in Vienna, had already early - starting from 1866 - in Budapest his first successful exhibitions which had portrait and genre paintings. His affectionately garnished paintings enjoyed a rapidly enlarging popularity, so that even emperors Franz Joseph or the Duke Ludwig Viktor ranked among the buyers of his works.

The category paintings of Hermann Kern are viewed as being very much, connected to one another, nevertheless the authentic description of self-willed, often scraggely old characters - Heurigenmusiker, Weingeniesser, market salesman, etc.. - with an affectionately ironical, German representational method. In another one of his paintings,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2005/59346-Kern.jpg

an old hunter sits at a table, before him is a beer and a plate of radishes as stabilization in his room. Contently he pulls on his pipe and looks proudly on his hunting companion, who perhaps was waiting to share in the booty, the two wild ducks, which are draped over the armchair. This artist was famous for painting great detail with a spirit of affection which is also seen in this painting.

Jodi

don't tell me I have to do the next one too?:eek:

I will be back later, and I will try not to stump you all again!:D

jo_b
11-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Okay Y'all, here we go again, hope you have better luck with this one!:angel:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2005/59346-mystery_2.jpg

Jodi

eileenclaire
12-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Is that a snake she is holding? Dripping venom? Eeeewww! And she looks so casual about it all. Hmmm, I must go search this one down.

persianus
12-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Hey guys,

spent hours looking for this one, no clue, give up,

It looks baroque to me , but I have a doubt given the lack of "accessories",

The subject could be cleopatra's suicide, dunno :(

Anybody got clues,

Persianus (CK)

jo_b
12-05-2005, 11:15 AM
OOOOOHHHHHH:eek: VERY CLOSE PERSIANUS, VERY CLOSE!!!!!!!:D

Jodi

rosebard
12-06-2005, 09:29 PM
No Clue at all Persianus. :( I have spent the all night trying to find it. It looks baroque to me too; Well Jodi your call, any other clue to give away? :(

persianus
12-06-2005, 09:47 PM
I must have looked more than one hundred "Death of cleopatra" paintings. Can't believe it was painted so often, but none looks like this one,

Driving me nuts :crying:

I could swear I have seen it somewhere, but no success,

I am pretty sure it is cleopatra, or a baroque version of her; I doubt the real one was wearing that actually :)

Also it could be a 20th century classicist painter imitating old styles, dunno,

Definitely hard to find,

Persianus (CK)

jo_b
12-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Well Persianus, you have the right person who the portrait is of and the right time period and style, if I give you another clue, then I might as well give you the artist's name:eek: You're almost there, you can do it!!!!!
:D

Jodi

eileenclaire
12-06-2005, 11:23 PM
I couldn't find this one either, Persianus, and like you I'm amazed at the number of paintings this subject inspired.

I'm stumped!

jo_b
12-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Okay last clue, and if someone does not get it I will be posting another Rembrandt, cuz I KNOW you will get that one and then someone else can have a turn to post a painting!

Italian Baroque, male artist.

Jodi

rosebard
12-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Me too was surprised at the amount of paintings I saw about the subject. It is baroque, it is obvious. But no way I could find it. Well I give up, hope someone else have luck at it! The good thing about it though was that I came across a cool link and saw a bunch of interesting paintings. So that was not a waste of time.

:) Good luck folks!!

eileenclaire
12-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Hi folks!

Jodi, you have officially stumped us all! Please reveal the name of the artist and the painting, if you will be so kind, so that we can find out who has painted this. This was a tough one! :)

I hope you don't mind if I start a new thread for this game. It's getting a bit lengthy in the pages. If there's interest, we can make this a monthly game. I'll be back with a link for the December Name that Classical Painting!

rosebard
12-10-2005, 06:15 PM
That is cool Eilleen!! I am interesting on a monthy thread! Thanks for starting this game!! :)

eileenclaire
12-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks, Rose! I'm glad that you are interested in playing.

Please join us in the new thread at the link below:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4124629&posted=1#post4124629

jo_b
12-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Well- don't that just figure!
here: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.kunstkopie.de/static/motive/Kleopatra.-Giacomo-Sementi-1016199.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsementi%2Bgiacomo,%2Bkleopatra%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2005-48,GGLG:en
the artist is Sementi Giacomo, the title is Kleopatra
He lived from 1580 to 1636, Baroque artist.

Guess since you have all moved elsewhere, nothing more about him is needed.

Jodi

pinkrybns
12-11-2005, 02:47 PM
I have to tell you that several of us regulars in the Art History forum were looking for this one ... driving us crazy! LOL I had the feeling the title might have had a different spelling, and so it did!

Nice one, Jodi. :)