PDA

View Full Version : ninja

maha
01-23-2002, 07:02 PM
This is a pencil sketch of a very well armed ninja. Any comments welcome.

dnip24
01-23-2002, 10:54 PM
beautiful!

Jason Seiler
01-24-2002, 12:16 PM
Looks cool, but how's he supposed to fight when he's already wasted from that huge pipe he's been smok'n?

Not sure if you'r looking for any kind of critique or not...understand that I think you're a good artist....

The left hand to me looks a bit strange, kind of bent a weird way...don't feel discouraged, hands are very hard to draw correctly...especially when you are making the picture up yourself...that is an area that I have recently tried to pay more attention to.

Your stuff looks great! A while back when I commented on the two cartoon characters with the American flag in the backround...that wasn't a slam of any kind, only a suggestion...you do nice stuff, keep it up! :D

-Take care,

Witty
01-24-2002, 07:12 PM
Firstly, nice drawing Maha.

If you are after a critic, Please read on. Quite often my wife is my critic and she points out obvious things. It seems my brain can't register these things until she says them and then 'oh that's right - i didn't notice that!'

So, it is with pleasure that I play the part of my wife today.. :)

* The hands are not in proportion. The first thing I noticed with this drawing is the size of the hand on the ground (look at the size of both hands). Even though you may be trying to foreshorten it, it's still too big).

* The shooting pipe coming from his mouth looks like it is balancing in mid air. His index finger is up, but not around it.

* The clothes do not look correct. You have the wrinkles around the neck right, but the rest do not look realistic. There is a book by Hogarth - something about realistic textures which you would benefit from.

* The left knee "tibia bone" has the bone cast in the wrong direction. There is always a certain curve to legs that curve inwards. You make it look like the leg coming forward is curving outwards.

* The cape over his head looks unrealistic. It looks like a tent on his head. If you added some lines for fabric coming downwards from the top, it would look more realistic. Remember, clothing drapes over a subject and does not 'sit' on a subject.

Well, I hope you are not offended by this post. Your definitely on the right track and it sure is hard when you are drawing from imagination - I have about 4 scrapbooks totally full with figures that I drew in about a year, where I just had people standing in all poses. It certainly helped me with proportions and bone structure.

All the best,

Regards
Witty

Bendaini
01-24-2002, 08:26 PM
really the only thing he "NEEDS"is something to ground him... a shadow, or perhaps from the way his feet are, a ledge to perch on... It would give the drawing more depth and keep him from floating off the page :)

I think hes quite good though. Lots of details, like the cloths over his face, and the fethers on the arrows... they are quite nice and add to the whole....

Bebelina
01-25-2002, 07:36 AM
Nice, well done. Btw, did you know that maha means belly in finnish? Well, if you didnīt, now you do. :cat: