PDA

View Full Version : Mosaic Crane

AriadneArts
01-23-2002, 06:09 PM
Hello All,

I'm new to WC and posted this a few days ago in the Wildlife Forum before I knew about this forum.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2002/CraneMosaic4.JPG

Did this last year with Italian vitrious glass on a 9" diameter round of plywood. I am self taught and have only had the (always but perhaps biased) appreciative comments of my family. Any comments will be welcomed.

Thanks

sassybird
01-23-2002, 09:58 PM
Welcome to WC Ariadne:)

I have always enjoyed mosaic work, and this one is beautiful. The composition is good, and the color choice is excellent. I see so many mosaics done in really bright basic colors that seeing ones in the pastels is always a treat. I like the way you worked your border colors and the ones along the inner wing. It pulls it all together quite well.

We have another member that does a lot of mosaic work, JoeMajury, and I am sure he is going to like this one a lot:D

Do you have this piece on a wall, or implanted into a walkway somewhere? Seems it would look very good at a pool or in an atrium.

joemajury
01-24-2002, 05:44 PM
You are right, I really like this, the colours and design go well together.
Very nice piece - have you more?

Joe
( I like the tinyhead as well - one of mine )

AriadneArts
01-24-2002, 09:18 PM
Thanks so much for your positive comments. I've been living in a vacuum with my art. Need a little perspective from other artists and can't believe Wet Canvas. What a find! I feel like I'm wandering the halls of a great university, getting lost but not caring--it's a great adventure finding my way.

Sassybird, I've seen a few of your works--veeeery interesting, especially one that I believe is with seaweed? You were wrapping it in beautiful threads....

No, I don't have the crane up anywhere yet, but you are the second person to suggest it be near some water.

JoeMajury, I've seen a few of your mosaics--the porpoise is quite wonderful.

Yes, I have more mosaics. I tend to work with small tessarae--micromosaics--don't know why. I love detail I guess. I've got a couple of other trivet sized things and am currently working on a couple of backsplashes for two bathroom sinks. One is a frog on a lilypad. The frog is totally done in Italian smalti, so he really stands out. Then the rest of the pond, flora, etc is done in vitrious glass. I'm still working on the background. The other backsplash is two doves, kinda stylized, but done entirely in unglazed porcelain. The tiles are pretty thick and whew, what a b**tch to cut. I hurt my arm using the nippers to cut them so I put that project on hold. Finally I ordered a hammer & hardie from Italy. It arrived and I'm practicing cutting with it. That seems to be the answer, but it takes a bit of practice to get your aim just right when you hit the anvil. Anyway, these backsplashes are way too big for the scanner so I'll have to get out the digicam (which I haven't used for more than a year.) I'll post a progress image when I get the cam thing together.

I'd really like to see more of your mosaics. Do you have more? (By the way, I love your recycled cd dinosaur.) And thanks for the tuareg-on-camel tiny head. I am a camelophile--especially dromedaries.

colorme
01-25-2002, 08:37 AM
Welcome to WetCanvas Ariadne! I love your Crane, the color of the tiles you used are beautiful, I'm going to be doing a mosaic in my ceramics class. I'll post it here when I finish it so you can see it :)

AriadneArts
01-25-2002, 11:09 PM
Thanks, ColorMe.

I look forward to seeing your mosaic. Have you decided on the design yet?

Leaflin
01-30-2002, 09:16 AM
Hi Eileen :)
I love your Mosaic Crane.
Wonderful choice of colours.
The placement of the glass under the cranes neck and body swirls under and around adding to the feel of motion in the upswept wings.
Look forward to seeing more.

SuzyQ
02-15-2002, 07:25 PM
It's gorgeous. I love the colors.