PDA

View Full Version : !! International Holiday Card Riot!!

K Taylor-Green
11-02-2005, 10:26 PM
It is that time of year again, and the holiday season will soon be upon us. Because we have so many members from around the world, lets join together and celebrate all the many ways the holidays are observed by creating holiday card designs.
Everyone is invited, wheather pastels or oil pastels. Create a card symbolizing the holiday season in your country!
All entries should be uploaded to this thread alone, to avoid flooding the forum, and taking attention away from other beautiful paintings!
Have fun everyone!!

Kathryn Wilson
11-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Can't wait to see all the beautiful cards that are going to be created.

Thanks Kate!

khourianya
11-02-2005, 11:19 PM
ohhh - I've been looking forward to this one. I was about to write and see if anyone was hosting the project this year.

At any rate - I'm in! :D

sundiver
11-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Oboy! Looks like fun!
(heads to her files to go through snow scenes photographed last winter)

scall0way
11-03-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure I'm ready for it to be holiday season yet. :D But tonight the choir starts rehearsing for our Christmas concert and carol sing, and now this thread has popped up. I suppose I have to start thinking about it, like it or not. Besides, I do adore *seeing* holiday cards, so look forward to seeing what gets posted here.

artbyjune
11-03-2005, 03:19 PM
I like this idea!!

M Douglas
11-03-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm in on this one, every year I say i'm going to paint my own cards. So I think I will make this my goal for the month. ( how hard can it be ....she mutters) It will be so much fun to see everyones cards.

Melodie

khourianya
11-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I really enjoyed painting mine last year - and I had them professionally printed to notecards through a photo printing place. It was wonderful and felt really special to those in my family who recieved this professional looking christmas card that I had painted. The cost worked out to not much over what I would have spent on store bought, generic cards.

M Douglas
11-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Cori did you take a picture of your painting and take that in to the photo printing place? I really have no idea how a person goes about this. From what i've gleaned so far it doesn't matter what size the original painting is.

Melodie

khourianya
11-03-2005, 04:18 PM
I scanned mine (it was about 9 X 12 last year) and then sent the digital image to the online printing place (I used Future Shop last year, but there are others out there that do the same thing and I will proably try one of them this year). I had the cards back in a few days.

M Douglas
11-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Thank you for the info Cori!! :) I think I will try Future Shop.

Melodie :cat:

Kathryn Wilson
11-04-2005, 06:03 AM
I did all mine on our color print at home - just take the photo of the painting, re-size it and print on Strathmore blank cards. Easy peazy.

K Taylor-Green
11-06-2005, 11:33 PM
So, who's gonna be first?

khourianya
11-06-2005, 11:47 PM
We are having 2 christmas themed paintouts this week over at VPON, so dont be surpirsed if there are a few submissaions before friday! :D

K Taylor-Green
11-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Yeah, Cori! All right! The sooner the better, especially as I am so slow!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/grinser/grinning-smiley-018.gif

scall0way
11-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Okay, I'll be brave and post something, LOL. This is a WIP I began last night. It's actually my own house. This is from a reference photo I took a few years ago when we did have a huge snowstorm around the holiday season. I started this last night, but had to stop and take a break from it, and will have to look at it later, so C&C welcome as of course I would like it to be as nice as it can be. :)

K Taylor-Green
11-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Lookin good, Debbie! Has a gingerbread look about it. I think this will make a wonderful card!

M Douglas
11-07-2005, 10:21 AM
This is going to be a wonderful xmas card.

Melodie

Kathryn Wilson
11-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Such a personal card! Your own house looks cozy in the snow. The porch roofline looks a bit off, but it may be the photo too - not quite level. Candles in the windows?

Kat

scall0way
11-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Kat, funny about the porch roofline. Of course it does look a bit "off" now that I stare at it, and not sure how I'll fix it! I drew the picture freehand last night, not wanting to stop and bother measuring anything, as I wanted a loose and perhaps slightly "primitive" feel to the picture - so I just drew it all 'by eye'. And when I look at my reference photo I copied from I see the roofline is off in the exact same way. I guess I must have been standing at a slant when I took the reference photo, LOL.

But if I just slant the photoof the painting a bit to straighten the roofline then the columns will be out of whack. In the reference photo the columns are all a bit slanted to match the roofline - but when I was drawing I "knew" they should be straight so drew them that way -and now the roof and the columns don't match! Maybe I should just start all over again.

michellej
11-08-2005, 03:59 PM
:clap: OKAY! I am definitely in.:clap: :clap:

sundiver
11-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Debbie, this is just charming, and I don't think the columns will be out of whack if you straighten the roofline a bit.

Here's mine. It's 5x7 oil pastels on dark blue suede matboard. The photo exaggerates the texture of the suede a bit. It's at the "finished or....?" stage.
Critiques are very welcome!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2005/6393-stream_Poley_smlfile.jpg

It looks very dark on my monitor, but the monitor tends to be like that. Does it look too dark to you?

sundiver
11-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Oh, it's so blurry! I tried again but it was just as bad. Looks fine in a large file. Hmm. Sorry!

Kathryn Wilson
11-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Maybe I should just start all over again.

Oh, no, it's way too charming - you can straighten that line out.

Kathryn Wilson
11-09-2005, 04:52 PM
It looks very dark on my monitor, but the monitor tends to be like that. Does it look too dark to you?

It does look dark, but it reminds me of evenings in the winter riding down the roads with the stars peeking out from behind the clouds. I feel very nostalgic for New York right now - sitting here in the 80's again today.

artbyjune
11-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Debbie, I love your house. Its so Christmassy.

Wendy, I like your winter snowscene. Very reminiscent of winter seasons. The image is a bit dark on my monitor too. Is it lighter IRL?? That's not a criticism, rather a question.

M Douglas
11-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Very pretty wintery scene!! Lovely painting.

Melodie

sundiver
11-10-2005, 10:46 AM
The image is a bit dark on my monitor too. Is it lighter IRL?? That's not a criticism, rather a question.

It's not as dark, IRL, but now that you ask, it IS rather dark. I didn't realise it, perhaps because the matboard is a very dark indigo, and the painting looked light by comparison.
Thanks! I'm going to lighten it a bit. It should say "afternoon", not "evening".
I know it wasn't a criticism, but it was enough to make me look again. I love this place! (And I don't mind criticism, either!:D)

K Taylor-Green
11-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Wendy, It will make a charming Christmas card. But I can see Indigo influencing the over all look. It isn't less charming for reading evening instead of afternoon. Very good work!

NaughtyTuck
11-10-2005, 06:40 PM
hello everyone

i'm not here often and am still very new to pastels.. i think the Christams card idea sounds like fun .

I attempted this this afternoon and it has a long way to go ..my first attempt at art of any kind in several months ..I have a muscle disease that affects my arms legs and shoulders and am just recovering from a flare up. It is nupastels and pastel pencils on strathmore art paper 9x12 ... I know I need lots more practice and this pic needs help but it's a start and it was fun.any suggestions on getting better coverage on the dark paper?

Debbie I love your cheery little house and Wendy your woods is a bit dark but I really like it a lot
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2005/49908-snowman1.jpg

scall0way
11-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Wendy, I like your woods. It reminds me of the line from Robert Frost's poem, "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening". The line that goes "The woods are lovely, dark and deep". That's just how your painting looks to me.

Naughty, I think your cheery little snowman is so cute too. He brings a smile to my face. I never had any luck getting *any* sort of coverage with Strathmore pastel paper, so I have given up on it except for scrap!

Here is my house a bit more straightened out, maybe not *perfectly* straight, but 100+ year old houses are almost never perfectly plumb. :D

sundiver
11-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Ah, Debbie, that's lovely! The perfect Christmas card, and so personal!

NT your snowman is adorable. I don't know how you feel about fixative, but a spritz of it would set the white that's on there, I think, so you could put some more on.

Well I tried lightening my snow scene, not sure if you can even tell. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2005/6393-stream_Poley_area_small.jpg

K Taylor-Green
11-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Looks lighter on my monitor, Wendy, though not a whole lot, just enough to make a difference.
The snowman is adorable, a perfect Christmas theme.

bjcpaints
11-11-2005, 10:04 AM
These are all nice! Inspiring me to try some!
Jean, Good to see you here - I am new to pastels.
I wasn't sure if this was a card exchange project or what? I have too much going to commit to an exchange, but if its show and tell I might play.
Barbara

khourianya
11-11-2005, 11:15 AM
I think this one is just a show and tell. Over at VPON we are doing an exchange.

K Taylor-Green
11-11-2005, 01:19 PM
This one is just show and tell. Gives everyone more time to play.

Paula Ford
11-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Debbie, Love your house. It really looks like a little gingerbread house...nice and warm and cozy for the holidays!

Wendy, Your landscape is very pretty. Looks cold and dark, just like a typical winter's day. Nice job!!

NaughtyTuck, Your snowman is soooooooooo sweet!! I hope you are feeling better really soon!

Paula

Paula Ford
11-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Wendy,

Your landscape is just beautiful since you made the changes!! Lovely work!

Paula

Chloe_1
11-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Here is one of many watercolos on watercolor cards. Making them for family and friends. Still trying to get them all before the deadline.:rolleyes:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2005/68155-Picture_033.jpg

Chloe_1
11-14-2005, 11:30 PM
That house looks so warm and inviting scalloway.. I could just feel the heat inside near a fireplace, drinking warm apple cider.:wink2:

scall0way
11-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Chloe, are you painting an *individual* painting for each friend and family member? Wow, I admire your ambition. What a lovely idea. What size are you doing? I hope everyone appreciates your hard work and thoughtfulness.

sundiver
11-15-2005, 08:55 AM
That's a sweet little card, Chloe! I love those colors. You're making a bunch? Can't wait to see them!

Paula Ford
11-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Very lovely and thoughtful Chloe!

Paula

artbyjune
11-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Lovely designs. Its a super idea Chloe to make and send your own cards. Now I could maybe do that....next Xmas.

I'm still hoping to enter one for this show and tell thread. But I'm nowhere near even starting it. Is there a deadline?

K Taylor-Green
11-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Lovely designs. Its a super idea Chloe to make and send your own cards. Now I could maybe do that....next Xmas.

I'm still hoping to enter one for this show and tell thread. But I'm nowhere near even starting it. Is there a deadline?
How does Christmas Eve sound? Since we aren't exchanging them, we can play with it longer.

k9artisan
11-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Wow I am really impressed with all the beautiful cards so far! Everyone has done a really wonderful job!

I wasn't sure if my card this year would qualify since it's not centered around my country, but I figure what the hey. I own a Bull Terrier so that is why I chose a BT for the card. Of course it had to be a dog card for me lol. (Last year I did do a pointsettia tho). At the bottom of it I have the text Peace On Earth. Hope you like!
Amber

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2005/40628-bull_terrier_angelsm.jpg

scall0way
11-16-2005, 07:14 PM
lol, what an angelic look on that little bull terrier's face Amber. :)

K Taylor-Green
11-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Amber, just gorgeous! And I think he looks smug, at being the center of a Christmas card.

artbyjune
11-17-2005, 12:52 AM
I love him!!

sundiver
11-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Amber, that is priceless!:D

NaughtyTuck
11-18-2005, 06:00 PM
I think I will call this one done at least for now..the colors are off a bit with the scan ... the scarf is much more of a teal color and the red much brighter.

Amber Love the little angel... looks like he is very proud of something

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2005/49908-snowman2.jpg

Paula Ford
11-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Amber, I love your little angel! He's got a real attitude goin!

Naughty, Your snowman definately says holidays and winter. He reminds me of all the animated tv shows that come on around the holidays and of simpler times gone by.

Paula

E-J
11-23-2005, 06:23 AM
So this is where you've all been hiding :)

Debbie, your treatment of the house (cute, but not cutesie) makes it a really good subject for a card.

Wendy, your scene is made extra misty and mysterious by the suede effect. Is that enjoyable stuff to paint on?

NaughtyTuck - aww! Your snowman's a sweetie! :) Glad that you are having a respite and can have some fun with your pastels.

Chloe, I guess you're going to be really busy with all those cards. I wish pastels lent themselves to individual cards, but since sending originals isn't really an option, you'd have to print each picture off anyway and there wouldn't be much point. I can just imagine my parents' delight at opening the envelope and being showered by dust!! :D

Amber, your angelic bulldog is so funny - I like him lots!

ColorMyWorld
11-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Amber, cute angelic pup!
NaughtyTuck, makes me want to smile and think of being a kid.
Here my card for this year. Just need to print it up.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2005/48177-2005_-_Ann__John_Xmas2-A.jpg
8x10" oil pastel on paper

K Taylor-Green
11-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Ann, Good one! I like the idea of Christmas cards being personal.

bjcpaints
11-27-2005, 11:45 AM
Taken from a WDE this weekend, ref pic by cahenry from the RIL - I added the greenery! Still learning and not happy with it but I had fun! Pastels are addictive!!
Barbara http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2005/49636-wde_november_25,_2005_holiday_roses.jpg

K Taylor-Green
11-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Barbara, just needs more contrast. There is nothing really wrong with it. I think you are doing a great job with your pastel schooling! Just don't give up.
This will make a cute card.
BTW, there is no cure for this addiction!

Karen Margulis
11-27-2005, 04:46 PM
This is my card for this year...This is actually the first time I have made my own card and it was a lot of fun.
Karen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2005/53551-art_182.jpg

artbyjune
11-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Great cards, Ann, Barbara and Karen. Really fun to see them all..and making me feel like getting a move along. At least I have an idea of what I will do now.

bjcpaints
11-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Very nice Karen! Looks like the kind of Christmas cards my daughter sends me from Maine.

khourianya
11-29-2005, 11:00 PM
Well my idea didn't quite come out the way i wanted it to. It is HARD to get a dog to pose with a hat on! :D anyway - here is trialholiday card #1 - I plan to work from a better photo next time and drop the cape - hopefully I can get it posted in the next day or so....

Santa Abner
give or take - 8X10
softies on suede matboard

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2005/47843-santaabner.jpg

artbyjune
11-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Lovely. Great expression on your doggy's face!! Hope he gets something nice for Xmas.

Nancy Leone
11-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi gang,
Everyone's cards are so creative. Mine's pretty traditional....from a beautiful photo by Gunther...imagine others here have used this image in the past for their cards.
It's 11x15 on Rives paper. Is it finished?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2005/44343-xmascard475.gif

Happy Holidays to all!

K Taylor-Green
11-30-2005, 01:21 PM
More great cards!!
Cori, yours is priceless. If it were me, I'd use it!
Karen, I love yours.
But Nancy, there is something to be said for tradition. It is a good thing that this isn't a competition! I could never choose.

Nancy Leone
11-30-2005, 08:27 PM
from a beautiful photo by Gunther

Oops! The image was one of Donaiblunt not Gunther. Sorry, Dona! And thank you for the beautiful photo!

bjcpaints
11-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Great cards Nancy and Cori!!
I fixed mine up a little and think I am ready to try another.

Well, the uploader isn't working for me right now - will try again later.
Barbara

artbyjune
12-01-2005, 07:21 AM
A bit of whimsy in OPs. A Canada goose on my local pond. Happy Christmas!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2005/11473-gxmswc1.jpg
:D

bjcpaints
12-01-2005, 09:35 AM
So adorable June! Great job! Hmmmm, How come you can upload and I can't?

artbyjune
12-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Have you tried the quick links uploader, Barbara?? I had problems with posting yesterday. Must be gremlins!

scall0way
12-02-2005, 11:01 AM
What fun to see all the new pix posted. They are talking about some snow here in NJ on Sunday and Monday. I guess that time of year is coming.

mauricar
12-02-2005, 11:24 PM
TO ONE AND ALL: Happy Holidays

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2005/71456-poinsettia_2.jpg
Just a quick note to wish in the Holiday Season. Joy to the World! Especially those at the WC.

ColorMyWorld
12-02-2005, 11:29 PM
June, what a wonderful piece of whimsy. I can see him coming in for a cup of tea when he's done skating!

Midge, great how you used the paper as the flower.

KJSCL
12-03-2005, 12:53 AM
All these cards are great. Very imaginative and very personal.

Here is what I was going to do as my card this year but the male cardinal looks like he's on steriods and is really uptight about it!!!. I'll probably either redo it or go in a completely different direction - I'd better hurry up and figure it out though!:)

This is approx 9 x 12 soft pastels on St Armand Sabretooth paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2005/22726-XMasCard_small.jpg

artbyjune
12-03-2005, 06:25 AM
Kathy, how beautiful!! I just love those birds.

artbyjune
12-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Midge, I love your poinsettia plant. It says 'Christmas is around the corner'.

Paula Ford
12-03-2005, 09:46 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Such beautiful cards!!

Paula

Karen Margulis
12-03-2005, 01:21 PM
The cards are all great! I love the cardinals...the background is wonderful! I did this one this morning inspired by my crazy Siamese kitten!
Karen

/Community/images/03-Dec-2005/53551-art_187.jpg

Doris Baggett
12-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Here's my impressionistic take on my my English bulldog, Thelma Lou and her handsome hirsute sidekick, Butler Bob the Scottish terrier.
They were basking in the sun and their festive neckwear is a great contrast to their overall lack of enthusiasm
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2005/60799-not_a_critter.jpg
I 've dubbed it -Not a Creature was Stirring
Dottie

KJSCL
12-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Well I changed my mind and went with a totally different approach for my card. Here's my new painting. I've posted it as a WIP in the Soft Pastels studio if anyone is interested.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2005/22726-Step_10_Final.jpg

Artistammy
12-06-2005, 11:38 AM
OOh! Kathy, my favorite color is blue....I'd love to have that top ornament.
Tammy

artbyjune
12-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Great cards!!

NaughtyTuck
12-12-2005, 12:50 AM
Just a quckie done on construction paper with pastel pencils.

Merry Christmas to all.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2005/49908-santa1.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
12-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Here's my contribution to the Holiday Cards - this is my little Jack Russel Terrier Rerun - we photographed him last year looking into a glass ornament.

Will put a message in the upper left corner in photoshop.

The list of cards is growing - what is on your easel?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2005/14941-xmascard2005_copy.jpg

artbyjune
12-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Your cards are terrific, Naughtytuck and Kyle.
Santa looks so happy.

The little dog concentrating on that Christmas bauble. I like him a lot!!

K Taylor-Green
12-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Kat, he's just so cute!!! (And the Christmas elements are nice, too!)

Look at those glowing cheeks on Santa!

maddy777
12-14-2005, 11:17 AM
What fab cards everyone! Love how they are all so different yet all convey the Christmas spirit. I decided to get my act together last night and start on mine as people at work are starting to hand them out. Those of you that have seen me about know I am a beginner so I chose something simple.
Mads
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2005/69100-myart_059.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2005/69100-myart_058.jpg

scall0way
12-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Very nice Mads. I always love pictures of Christmas bells.

KJSCL
12-14-2005, 11:29 AM
I love the bells!

PeggyB
12-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Well time has gotten away from me again so here is one I did several years ago. We had one white cat and the other a tabby that absolutely loved playing in the papers. We'd leave them in the living room all of Chirstmas day just so they could have some fun & I took photos. For this series, both of them were painted white :cat: . The two we have now ignore the whole thing. This one was accepted into a national pastel open show (Georgia). I have a couple others on this same theme, but don't have copies of them in my file. Maybe I can get them later, but my daughter will be here from Oklahoma two days earlier than I thought so must get out the vaccum!

Christmas Cats
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Dec-2005/68149-Merry_Christmas.gif

I wish everyone good health and happines now and in the coming year.
Peggy

artbyjune
12-14-2005, 03:04 PM
The Xmas bells shine!!

I love those naughty cats!!

bjcpaints
12-14-2005, 03:46 PM
These are all great! So glad I checked back! I like them all and can't choose any favorite but I am an animal nut so those with the dogs/cats/birds are particularly fun!

artist_pw
12-16-2005, 01:27 AM
Hi:

Here's mine. It is based on some WC reference photos, but modified a little to have two black capped chickadees. Also, I drew a little logo for the back for fun, and printed the inside with some text and clip art. It was fun, and I hope it makes people smile. The inside image shows up as grey, but it prints with a white background. I printed these myself on a Canon Pixma ip1500 printer using Strathmore inkjet cards with various surfaces. The main image is on Arches cold press watercolor paper with a watercolor underpainting with various soft pastel brands on top.

Also a tip - if your images are too big to initially load, you can upload them into a yahoo group photo area, and it will automatically make images that take up less space. I haven't seen this availability anywhere yet in my photo software, and I just thought I'd pass the info along.

k9artisan
12-17-2005, 03:49 AM
I love all these wonderful cards! It is so cool to me to think that each card shown here is one of a kind and original. I wonder if our receivers think about how neat it is to get a card like this. I know I do.
Happy Holidays!
Amber

K Taylor-Green
12-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Paula, I LOVE the chicadees. Great card!!