PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Oct 31 Thru Nov 6

K Taylor-Green
10-31-2005, 10:47 AM
Good morning everyone, and Happy Halloween!!
Come join us in our weekly chat thread! Tell us all about your job, your family, your kids, and pets!

Today is my grandaughter's birthday. She is 2, pretty as an angel, and usually the leader of trouble. We had a birthday party for her yesterday. She is such a funny little thing! She won't talk or even smile much when she is around people she doesn't see often. Her solume (sp) little face makes me smile, as I know that she is a bundle of laughing mischief, chattering away when she is in comfortable surroundings. I think her brother had more fun than she did. He was as excited over all the toys she got, as he would have if they were for him.
Such sweeties, course I guess I'm a bit partial. :D I'll show pics when I get them downloaded.

In August, I think I mentioned the tripplets born to our nephew, Charlie and his wife, Ashley. They have been home now for a couple of weeks, well, the girls a bit longer. They are doing well and weigh over 6 lbs. now.
I finally have a photo. In order, here are Madison, Mason, and Mackenzie Green!

CM Neidhofer
10-31-2005, 11:20 AM
They're just adorable! :D

Khadres
10-31-2005, 12:01 PM
What cuties! Boy, I'd hate to be filling your shopping list for Xmas! I don't see how Santa could hope to keep up!

watergirl
10-31-2005, 12:37 PM
Oh Kate, what a handful you've got! They are beautiful of course! Are the tripletts doing okay healthwise?

This week will be busy for me. I am supposed to be preparing the house to leave for 6 months-don't even know where to start. Having lunch with a local artist who belongs to the gallery near me. And heading over to America, ie the mainland, Seattle for doctor appointments. Oh, and I have to get some candy for the kids tonite! Hope we get some trick or treaters this year-not too many kids in the wind and rain here. Have a great week!

khourianya
10-31-2005, 02:24 PM
I just heard the most horrible story. Last week my friend's rabbit died suddenly and I just found out why. I wanted to post this just as a warning to owners of exotic animals.

My friend had gone to a pet store and asked for a recommendation for a treat for her rabbit. The kid working int he store told her that there was honeysuckle wood treats and that the rabbit should love them because rabbits like to gnaw on wood.

Anyway - she took the recomendation and brought home some honeysuckle wood treats for her bunns...The bunny tore into them and was happily gnawing and gnashing away at them..then she suddenly started to choke and my friend got to watch her rabbit die before her own eyes.

We are so careful with what we give our exotics - especially when it comes to wood. So many flower tree woods are poisonous so we only give fruit tree woods to them.

I just wanted to forewarn people to do their research if they have exotics....go to the store preapred so you won't have to take the 18 year old clerk's word for it....

I am so sad and mad all at the same time....

Deborah Secor
10-31-2005, 03:12 PM
Ah, the babies are a delight! What a blessing, Kate!

Hope all goes well for your relocation, Molly.

Oh, Cori, I'm so sorry... :crying: How awful. Wood can be very toxic. My husband makes wooden spoons and we're very careful to use only nutwood or fruitwood, such as cherry, maple and walnut.

I'm busy writing today--or should be! We have some very special gifts for the kids who come to our door tonight, a HUGE candy bar wrapped up as a pretty present with the Gospel of John enclosed and a note giving God's blessing on what can be a spooky, scary night for some. I hope it makes at least one kid smile! It's always fun to have the kids come to the door and it's really great to give sweet things away. :)

Deborah

PeggyB
10-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Kate the triplets are adorable, and brought back memories of lost sleep to me. I had twins (boy/girl) when their brother was only 23 months old. Somehow we all survived, and happily so.

Cori, I'm really sorry to hear about your friend's bunny. I had one, but had to give her to a good home when I proved to be allergic to her fur - as was my oldest son. They make great pets though. I'll remember this story and pass it on to others.

I envy those of you who have trick or treaters. It has been years since anyone came to our house because we don't live in a housing developement. I used to enjoy it when the kids came by. When we lived in Ohio, the Dad's all took the kids around and the Moms and older teens stayed home all dressed up in costumes, and handed out the candies. Deb - what a nice idea to include the Bible verse. So many "ultra" Christains in our area criticize the holiday and take it way too seriously.

Yesterday my husband decided to do something he's not done in ages: take a hike up Mt Si with the dogs. He wasn't going to go all the way to the top at first, but once he got started they went all the way (took 2 1/2 hours just going up). Libby, the 7+ year old kept going up the trail, and then looking back to make sure Bob was still there. Sometimes she even came back to "get" him. Sonny the 6 month old pup just kept right on going and having a wonderful first time in the forest experience. When they finally got home (I had a quiet day of reading and painting) the all fell asleep in the family room. When Bob awoke he groaned and said he must have really over done it because he was so stiff. Them Libby tried to move. Poor thing was so stiff her head was down, back hunched, and her back leg shivered when she stood up. Bob felt awful because it was pretty obvious that she too had overdone the exercise. Fortunately, I had some doggie anti-inflamitory drugs for her. The look on her face was about the same as that of Bob - darn! why can't I do now what I did at half my age?! Today she is still stiff, but moving better and I gave her another pill. Of course the "kid" is still running and leaping like most youngsters do...

Gotta go to Curves - the only way to exercise! Did you realize that "exercise" is a double four letter word? :evil:

Happy Halloween
Peggy

meowmeow
11-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Happy birthday to your granddaughter, Kate...and what wonderful triplets! Wow! What fun....for someone else!

Cori, that sounds awful! I'm sorry for your friend.

WE had more trick or treaters here last night than we had in a while...ran out of candy and shut the light. But the kids were adorable and seemed to be having a ball. The weather was really warm so I think that helped bring them out.

We are having an open house here this weekend so I guess we are officially "on the market"...whew! I have been cleaning and tossing for days now. The house looks great. Of course now there are all sorts of articles in the paper about the housing market bottoming out...oh well. WE'll just have to see what happens. We have been looking at condos and have seen some very nice places that we would not mind living in....but we won't do anything till this thing sells. It is not your typical house and although people may be impressed with the size and nice old features, the heating bills will scare a lot of people off. Eventually some fool will come along and buy it...and hopefully love it as much as we have.

In the meantime I really have not done any painting...I feel almost guilty but I just don't have time and don't feel like dragging stuff out only to have to clean up again. Hopefully after the open house I won't have quite so much to do. I know I will have to keep the house clean but at least most of the work will have been done.

I've also been busy with my parents. My mother is really not doing well. I know this has been oging on for a long time but my father has finally realized he just cannot handle her at home so she has been basically transferred from a rehab patient to an official nursing home patient. It was hard to make the decision but it was the only logical one. She is pretty much bedridden now. Even when she could get up she really doesn't feel like it, and I can't say that I blame her. And of course my dad is miserable. He called me yesterday with 1/2 hour notice to come ot a meeting at the facility. My doorbell was ringing at it was someone I had arranged to come help me clean...I just couldn't go out there to be at the meeting. I felt badly but you can do just so much. Hubby and I will go have supper with him tonight and visit with her. I know a lot of you are dealing with stuff now or have recently, so I know I am not alone.

I hope you all enjoy the week...do some good painting for me...maybe I will try to just do some sketching...that would be a good exercise for me anyhow!

Sandy

khourianya
11-01-2005, 12:26 PM
We had 15 kids last night. We had been so convinced we woul dhave over 100, because we live in a well established neighbourhood near schools and there are always a million kids out there...so we have tons of candy left. Next year, we think we may just hand out Loonies (er, for those not aclimated to Canadian money - a Loonie is our one dollar coin - they have a loon on them....our two dollar coin is a twonie - yes it's lame)

We figure the parents will appreciate the extra money for the dental bills lol. Either that or we will go to the dollar store and buy a bunch of one dollar toys to hand out. Most of the kids were pretty young.

All in all it was a pretty laid-back night. We probably could have just kept our lights off and I could have painted all night. I did hear about an incident on the news today though - apparently a woman opened her door and there was a man there, wearing a mask and wielding a knife. He came into her house and started stabbing her. Luckilly her neighbour heard and came over and pulled the guy off of her! How terrifying! I am sure this one will be on the news alot for the next few days. They didn't catch the guy yet, but because of her brave neighbour, she is going to live to tell the story.

K Taylor-Green
11-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Cori, that's just awful!! Was he crazy? A potential robber? That just sounds crazy!

Sandy, I feel for you at this time. My youngest sister is in a nursing home now. Along with the chronic health problems that she has from a diseased liver, she has one of the worst cases of osteoporosis I have ever seen. She breaks bones just by rolling over in bed. In the last two years she has had 5 fractures, caused by minor pressure.
She is in a wheelchair. The nursing home stay is supposed to be temporary, just til these last two leg fractures heal. But the condition can't be cured, and I am not very optomistic.

No trick or treaters for us. We live too far off our little country road for anyone to come.

Peggy, what kind of programs does Curves offer? We have one in our area. I need to exercise again. Middle age is finally catching up with me!!

meowmeow
11-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Kate, that sounds so terrible about your sister. I am so sorry!

I went to Curves for while. It doesn't have a "program" per se, but a group of exercise machines that you use. You do each machine for a minute, then sort of dance or jog in place for a minute, then move to the next machine. Each machine is supposd to work a different muscle group. It's not a bad workout and you can have fun meeting people. I just ofund it was too easy to go, do the "drill" and leave and realize later that if I had not been concentrating on what I was doing I really didn't get much of a work out at all. Plus, my husband's physical therapist says he gets lots of women coming in for PT after they get messed up on the machines! He says machines like that absolutely need to be adjusted for each individual but since you are on a timed program there you can't possibly do it and people get hurt. Well....that may be true, but I think if you are not donig any exercise, Curves can be a great way to start. YOu just need to find one where the staff is helpful and well show you how to use the machines properly...and pay attention to what you are doing.

Sandy

khourianya
11-01-2005, 02:33 PM
I donít know what the motivation was. They didnít go into a lot of detail in the news story. All I know is that it would be so easy to have happen. People will open their door to anyone on Halloween. Cam figures it must have been some personal vendetta or something. It will probably end up being her ex-husband or something (another good reason to not tell an ex hubby where you live)

I have a friend who goes to Curves. She's lost over 30lbs there. It is a really simple circuit program where you alternate between working on assorted tension machines and cardio stations. I have bad joints so thought it would work for me, but the machines were not good on my joints in teh trial session I went to. It is a franchise policy for them that they will give you a free one week trial or something like that, so you could always give them a spin that way, Kate.**Sandy, we cross posted...I'd believe that bit that the PT said...when I went on a couple of the leg machines that the lady told me should be okay for my bad hips, I ended up needing to go to my Chiro for an adjustment. My hips and knees dislocate really easilly (been like that since I was a teen) and the amount of tension on these machines was enough to put one hip and both knees out.

Mikki Petersen
11-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Oh, I'm so glad I took the time to check in and read what's up...I love hearing Curves is bbbaaaaddddd! I've joined those type programs three times and ended up incapacitated each time because they move you up levels too quickly and it damages lax muscles. Now I feel better!

Kate, that's a gorgeous bundle of babies! And two of them girls...sigh!

Cori, you are just chock full of horror stories this week...

Sandy, my heart goes out to you. When my mother was ill and living several hours away, it was a nightmare. Midnight runs to do welfare checks with the Sheriff's Deputies when she would call and threaten to kill herself or worse just not answer the phone. When she finally went into a nursing home, it was such a load off me. But it's a difficult decision. Also, you are right that you can only do what you can do and you still have a life too.

:music: If I were a carptenter... :music:
I'd be a miserable lady...

We are coming to the finish of John's workshop...the outside at least. I can now pound nails with the best of them and at the end of the day, I'm too tired and sore to lift a pastel. I'm so pleased it is supposed to rain for the next few days... ;) I'm trying to convince John to hire someone to do the shingles. We are both too old to be climbing around on roofs and John is terrified of heights.

Happy painting,
Mikki

khourianya
11-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Cori, you are just chock full of horror stories this week...

yikes - I guess I have been. I'll try to be better :D (After this post)

I had a coffee date with a close friend of mine from my high school days. She is the only person I can really discuss books with for hours! Most people start to tune me out after a while, but not her - and I usually end up with many many good recommendations when we're done. Last nights visit went really late and I came out to a car covered in snow...brrr. Winter has arrived...though it is supposed to all melt today. I guess we'll see.

Oh - and something scary (sorry for this last horror story :D ) That stabbing was only a couple of neighbourhoods over from where I live!!! Yikes!! :eek:

scall0way
11-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Cori, how cool to have someone you can discuss books with for hours! What fun that would be. :)

Sandy, sorry about your mom in the nursing home. I hope it will work out for your dad. My mom died last year after a 20-year battle with Alzheimer's and my dad kept her at home the whole time. We used to think it would be better for him if she was in a nursing home, but when she broke her hip she got 3 months of rehab in a nursing home and it almost killed my dad! When she was in the nursing home he would get to the nursing home at 7 AM every morning, 7 days a week, and would just sit in a chair by her bedside until 11 PM, then he would go home for some sleep. He did that every day for the three months she in the nursing home, no matter how often people told him he should take care of himself as well, but he would not listen - and I really thought it would be the end of him.

When mom was home at least he was in his own home and could lay in bed for a while, watch TV, get his coffee and breakfast and sit at the kitchen table and watch the sailboats go by, take his dog for a short walk, etc. But towards the end it was getting awfully hard on him. But I sure hope you dad can get some rest for himself too, and good luck with the house sale.

Kate, I envy you a cute granddaughter, and those triplets sure are cute too. Your nephew and his wife will sure be busy. A couple from my church had triplets many years ago. After 10 years of unsucessful trying they tried fertility drugs, and triplets were the result! And if that were not enough of a shocker - when the triplets were about 6 months old she found out she was pregnant *again*, without any attempt to be so. (would you be trying if you had infant triplets, LOL). So they ended up with *four* all close in age. The triplets were 2 boys and a girl, and the 4th one was a girl, so they had 2 of each. And I was always amazed that she would get all 4 not only to church, but all perfectly dressed in darling little outfits. I thought I was doing well just to get my son there with socks that matched. :)

Nothing too special for me this week so far. I only had about 20 trick-or-treaters. Most of the kids have already come around by the time I get home from work. I still have lots of candy left and will have to bring some to work to get rid of it.

I thought I was getting better from the rotten cold that I'd had a couple weeks ago, but now it's starting to feel like it might be settling into bronchitis. 90% of the colds I get *do* develop into bronchitis, but with each one I always hope it will be one of the 10% that does not! Always a struggle as once it becomes bronchitis it seems that only antibiotics get me better, but my doctor does not like to prescribe them, so I usually have to be sick for several months before she will even consider it.

I guess the record was the year I got a bad cold in June, and was sick and unable to breathe all summer long. I went to the doctor twice but she just gave me the "rest and fluids" line, but I never got any better. It was a dreaful summer. Finally in October she gave me an antibiotic prescription and within 48 hours I was better. And even that she ascribed to the "placebo effect". But I don't think I have any special voodoo faith in antibiotics, and always try other things first that I'm much more excited about, so why do I never get better from the stuff I *want* to make me better if it's all just "placebo effect" ???? :D

Anyway, today I'm feeling very low and tired, and coughing up a lot of nasty yellow phlegm (far more that you wanted to know, I'm sure, LOL) so I may have to go into my begging and pleading. Last time she finally gave me antibiotics after I'd been sick about 8 weeks when I told her if she didn't I was going to try to find some black market stuff on the internet! And sure enough - after 8 miserable weeks I was better in about 48 hours again.

But the good news is that I think my dad is going to come up from NC and spend the month of December with me. I think that will be good for him, and fun for me, and maybe a good break for my sister in NC who seems about ready to fall apart from the stress of feeling she has to look after my dad all the time and plan things for him. I'll enjoy having him, and it's a fun time of year. I just regret that my house is tiny and maybe not the most comfortable for him. But I want to make sure I'm better before he comes.

meowmeow
11-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah, Mikki...I'll let you off the hook. I'm not surprised you had problems. Although certainly many people do it with no trouble. I know my sister in law insists that it was why she ended up having back surgery. I just stick with my treadmill now. I hate it...but I do it. Low impact...good aerobic worksout.

Debbie, that is so sad about your mother...and I understand completely. My dad would love to have her home with him but it is just too much for him to handle. Fortunately the nursing home is basically the same rehab building she has been in and my dad can walk right over there to see her. He spends a lot of time with her but does go to his book club meetings and has most meals in the dining room. It is hard but he knows he needs to take some time for himself. But he is so tired and depressed and I see him going downhilll too. What a crappy time of life!! Then again, they have been in good health until recently, have both had good long lives, productive, happy. They have travelled, they have grandchildren and great grandchildren. It's lousy now but in the scheme of things I think we can't really complain.

By the way, take care of that cold...it sounds awful!

Cori, that is scary. We had a murder around the corner a few years ago and it was very creepy and upsetting. Who knows what goes on in the mind of a person like that. They are obviously not of sound mind.

I had the wood floors washed and waxed today...the house looks really good...we keep joking that maybe we should buy it! hahahaha! It will all be very interesting. I am not a patient person though. Once I make up my mind about something, I want it to happen. The prospect of waiting several months for this house to sell is not a pleasant one....but it could take a while.

Sandy

Mikki Petersen
11-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Ugh! Sandy, I'm so sorry you are going through this moving business. I loathed it! Completely disrupted my life for about 4 months two years ago. We ended up moving out and staying in our travel trailer in our son's driveway for three weeks because that was easier than trying to live in a "model" home. The good news? When it's over, life is great! Look forward to that part when this gets you down. Are you moving to Maine permanently?

Debbie, you need to be really careful...have you consulted a physician? Colds do not "hang on" longer than two weeks, usually 7-10 days. If it has been longer than that, you have degenerated into a respiratory infection. Take care of yourself!

I had class today with Margot Schulzke. She discussed the underrepresentation of women artists in galleries and museums and how it has not improved too much with "liberation". She also discussed with us writing an artist's statement. Said it is important for each of us to really do some soul searching about what moves us to paint...what subjects, what emotions, what need inside us and then to express that in a stement not longer than one typewritten page and that it should be written in the first person. Another step in building my portfolio.

It's gonna rain again tomorrow so I get to be an artist and not a construction worker!

Mikki

Mikki Petersen
11-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Today, I did an act of kindness...There is a young woman in our class, a single mother with young children. The rest of us are crusty old biddies who are comfortably well off with few responsibilities to hold us back. Before John gifted me with the full set of Giraults for Christmas, I ordered and received the 25 pastel set of Earth Tones in Girault. This young woman is a portrait artist and does incredible work with a very limited selection of about 20 pastels which she blends and overlays to achieve amazing depth of color. As we discuss different brands of pastels in class and talk about expensive papers like Wallis, I see her cringe at the expense. Boy, do I remember my days as a single Mom and wishing I could occasionally treat myself to some pleasure or other which was not an option on my income. Anyway, I gave her the Earth Tones set which will work really well for her portrait work.

On the way home, (a 90 minute drive), I was thinking about all the art supplies I have that I'm not using because they fell short of my expectations or because there were colors in sets I purchased that I'll never use. I'm sure there are a lot of us in this position as we experiment with different tools and mediums. I'm wondering if there would be value in setting up a "soup kitchen" for artists and how that could be done. Suddenly I feel decadent having all this quality stuff around gathering dust when there are artists financially struggling as I once did. Ideas?

Mikki

CindyW
11-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Mikki, you have a heart of gold. How full must her heart have been upon receiving your gift to her. It'll come back to you, this gesture of kindness, in some ways that'll make you smile and believe in the goodness of humankind. There isn't much more out there that is a soul quenching experience than sharing and giving and loving. Sorry to be so mushy, but this is a sweet gesture that I can't help but comment on.
As for what to do now....your suggestion of an artist soup kitchen is splendid! Might there be a way to get this started here on WetCanvas? that wouldn't involve alot legaleze here?
Cindy

Mikki Petersen
11-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Hey, Cindy, I got a huge smile and a great big hug...there is no better reward!

That's what I was thinking...sort of like the swap shop only I'm not interested in selling and I don't want to just give my things away, but it would be nice to be able to offer to those with a need. Maybe there could be a wishlist thread or something?

Mikki

K Taylor-Green
11-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Mikki, you are truely a generous soul with a huge heart.
I don't know about doing something like that on WC, but I know that Cheap Joe's has a program called Brushes for Vincent. It is a program where pre-owned and gently used art supplies are distributed to students in need.

khourianya
11-02-2005, 11:10 PM
I think it would be wonderful to put together program with our local art groups to gather supplies for artists in need in the community.

khourianya
11-03-2005, 01:11 AM
I just remembered I took photos of the big trees in my front yard covered in snow this monring to share...here they are :D Welcome to Alberta!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2005/47843-nov2snow.jpg

Muffin_4377
11-03-2005, 03:17 AM
Something you can do too is contact your local public highschool or local college...ask the art instructor if there is a student or 2 that could get some good use outta them...a promising art student without the financial backing...

Way to stroke your Karma, Mikki!!

nice cold trees Cori.....ya I seen Calgary had ice rinks for highways today. :eek:

chookbrown
11-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Morning all.... I really want to read your news but am off to hairdressers in one hour. Gotsta cover that grey and pretend I'm young..LOL... Workshop in colorado was absolutely fabulous dahlings and I met JD Hillberry the graphite artist whom I've known here at WC for quite a few years!! What a treat!. Will share more and read more soon.

Hugs to all,

Colleen :D:D

Mikki Petersen
11-03-2005, 01:27 PM
All of these are great ideas! Especially the high school one! What a treat for some worthy young art student to have the joy of pro quality supplies! My instructor also suggested an Art Center where we will be having our classes next year. Said they would know of struggling artists. Thank you all so much!

Mikki

meowmeow
11-03-2005, 04:28 PM
That is so sweet, Mikki....and you are getting excellent suggestions. The high school one is good and I will keep that in mind if I have some "extras"...which I do now and again.

Sounds like some of you are going to some terrific workshops! Good for you!

Sandy

Bringer
11-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi,

Heard about it on the radio today.
It's the dogcatradio

http://radio.about.com/od/specialtystreams/qt/aa071705a.htm

K Taylor-Green
11-03-2005, 06:53 PM
I am down, really down. Looks like one of our tripletts is in trouble. They had to rush her, Madison, to the hospital. She was nursing, choked, and quit breathing. She is in Children's in Dayton. They think she has bacterial menengitis. At the moment she is on a resperator and they have determined that there is some brain damage. I am unsure how extensive.
All my info has come from my mother-in-law, who is a bit of an alarmist, so I am not giving up on the little mite!
I look at all my healthy grandchildren, and I hurt for my brother-in-law and his wife who are the grandparents of these three, not to mention Charlie and Ashley.
Mackenzie and Mason, the rest of the trio, seem to be doing well.
Prayers would definitly be appreciated.

Bringer
11-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Hi Katherine,

I hope that everything turns out well.
Menengitis nowadays is not as dangerous as long time ago. Has she taken the shots ?
Here in Portugal some people cannot afford them. In fact I think that most children don't take them.

Regards and best wishes,

Josť

meowmeow
11-03-2005, 07:17 PM
((Kate)) I am so sorry to hear that...I do hope things work out. I konw they can do so much more today than they used to, but this is still not good to hear, especially that there has been some brain damage. Keep us posted...I'll keep you all in my thoughts.

Sandy

K Taylor-Green
11-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks Sandy.

Jose' She is only 2 monthes old, born premature, and now weighs a bit over 6 lbs. So no, shots have not been given as yet. Thanks for the well wishes.

I'll post more as I hear it. Poor little scrap.

Mikki Petersen
11-03-2005, 07:49 PM
Katherine, I couldn't be more sorry to hear this. You and your family are definitely in my heart and my prayers. Multiples and premies often have a rough time of it. My brother was a premie and was in and out of hospitals constantly the first year of his life...but he made it and today he's a strapping healthy 6'3" man. Hope we will see the same for Madison.

Mikki

Deborah Secor
11-03-2005, 08:09 PM
((((Kate)))) I'll keep your granddaughter and her parents, the rest of the family and YOU in my prayers.

Deborah

CindyW
11-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Kate, I am so sorry for little Madison's turn in health. I wish you and your family well and a healthy and fast recovery for the little one. It hurts the heart to see innocent babes under such stress. All of your family's love will be with her and she'll feel it.
Cindy

K Taylor-Green
11-04-2005, 04:56 PM
I heard today that little Madison is improving some!! Though there is some damage and they think she will be mildly retarded, the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.
The question had come up of what to do if the doctors had wanted to put her on heavy life support. Her mom and dad had decided not to put her through that. Thank God, it looks as though that decision is not going to have to be made.
Thanks so much, to all of you, for your well wishes and prayers.

khourianya
11-04-2005, 05:29 PM
oh my Kate. I am glad she is doing better.

PeggyB
11-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Kate I'm so glad to hear your family is doing better. All three of my children were early. My first born son almost 4 weeks (but he still weighed 6 lb 6 oz) and he had an exchange transfusion when he was 3 days old. Then I had twins that were almost 7 weeks early and they each weighed about 4 1/2 pounds (my son was a half ounce heavier than my daughter). Although all had to stay hospitalized beyond a week (the twins 3 weeks), buy the time they were 3 months old the peditricians said if they hadn't been there in the beginning they'd never have known they were early. All are healthy adults today, and didn't have particularily "sick" childhoods after the first 6 months or so. The twins had that horrid Hong Kong flu their first Christmas, and I got it after. I was so sick I just wanted to die! Somehow their older brother and Dad avoided getting it.

As for my experiences with Curves - well it couldn't be more the opposite of what Sandy & others wrote. I have mild arthritis in my lower spine, and my doc sent me to the physical therapist. She is familiar with the local Curves and encouraged me to go when finished with her program, but I 'm not to use some of the machines. The employees of this particular franchise are very well trained and pay close attention to everyone and the manner in which they use the machines. There is a wide range of ages and body styles of the women who go there. As others said, it is circuit training. The machines alternate between using the upper body and lower body, with a "rest pad" between each machine. That is where you keep moving in whatever manner suits your body. Some women just stand there and move their arms as if walking very fast, and others dance as though there is no tomorrow. (I'm somewhere in between!) They play music constantly, and every 15 seconds a voice tells you to "now move to the next station". Every 8 minutes you take your pulse, and are to maintain a rate range that is calabrated for your age. After about 15 minutes, you are finished with the machines, and then you move to an area where you do mild stretching exercises for another 10 - 15 minutes. This is where some people really mess up because they tend to over stretch or "bounce" while stretching. I add the stretches my PT gave me to the routine so the whole thing takes more than the total half hour that they suggest. I am of the opinion that exercise is a double four letter word, but this is the easiest routine I've ever done, and ta-da - it is working. My back hasn't felt so good in ages. As I said, I don't use all the machines and there are other people who do the same. Those who have joint problems don't use the machines that cause them problems or they use them less aggressively. Several women have told me they have serious arthritis problems in various joints and since joining Curves they are moving better and feel better than every before. Like any form of exercise, one must know a bit about your own body and what it will tolerate. There are too many "gyms" that don't have well trained employees so that can be a problem anywhere. Oh yah - I've been going almost 2 months. In the first month (I weigh & measure only once a month there) I lost 10 pounds, 8.5 inches, and .9% body fat without much trouble at all. In another week I'll find out what the second month has done for me... I suggest you try the one week trail (I did) to see what you think of your particular franchise. If they aren't paying close attention to everyone there, it probably isn't a good place to be. Oh yah, no exercise program should be undertaken without first consulting your physician (does that get me off the libality wagon? :D )

Peggy

watergirl
11-04-2005, 11:49 PM
Praying for your little one!

Bringer
11-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Hi,

For how long haven't you laugh so hard ?
Turn on the sound.

http://www.lopes.com.pt/target2.html

Regards,

Josť

chewie
11-05-2005, 11:46 PM
i've been away for a while, and the stuff i've missed here!

oh kate, how's the baby? so scary.

we had a neighbor this past week, a 14 yo boy, who basicly got his head crushed under his 4wheeler. too many let those get treated as a large toy, with similar resuts. he was such a bright boy, and is in intenisive care. still not sure how it will turn out. broke every bone in his face, and cracked his skull. but those 4wheelers give me the chills, seems there is always one or 2 of these type things every year around here. will we ever learn??

and sad over the bunnies too. a friend i had long ago had her dog spayed--and lost her. seems that particular breed didn't do well with the sleeping shot, and that is what killed her. its usually not something you'd ever of guessed. my friend was devasted.

i've spent my last few weeks milking full time. hunting season here is huge biz., and altho. i don't care for doing that, it also brings in tons of out-of-staters to hunt here. so while the owner is guiding hunts, i do the milking. it pays well too, and i can stockpile some cash this time of year for upcoming artsy events i may otherwise miss. but i sure do miss my free time to ride and art!! and check wet canvas too!! ugh! but besides the extra cash, i lost some 8-10 lbs.! yeah!

hey, i just got a dvd yesterday, the new greg biolchini plein air. i really like it, esp. for the money. plenty of little ideas i can use, and watching is always better than reading it. i very much want to do more plein air, and even for studio painting, i'd suggest it. anxious to get into that studio again!!

hope all improves for the mother too, who's going into a home. such a hard decision. i am an only child, and not looking forward to that time. seems those things never have an easy choice, and guilt plays a huge role too. good luck with it, and i'm sure whatever you do will be for the best, for all. and yes, your dad needs to take care of himself too. hard choices.

hope the others are all doing well here, and that this weekend will see improvements in the serious situations so many (too many!) have to deal with. and giving out a set of guiarlts, so sweet. indeed, it will come back to you. take care all!

meowmeow
11-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Kate, I'm glad to hear tha Madison will probably be okay....maybe not quite as perfect as she might have been, but it does beat anything worse! Keep us posted!

Hey, Curves can be great. I know it was good for me for a while. I didn't have any back issues with it, but ultimately, for my exercise program I am better off using the treadmill and then using my dinky little weights once in a while..although for me it tends to bea little too "once" in that while. Somehow I never get to that part. But it is true, if you have good staff people Curves can be an excellent program. Unfortunately, too many of the staff are not that well trained and don't pay that much attention.

Now my dad is saying again that he will take her home. He isn't "comfortable" with the place. There is no comfortbale chair there for him and no room for a different one. She insists she is being neglected and the saff is terrible...blah blah. Well, my bother and i have been there and yes, there are lapses but on the whole we have found them to be caring and it is a good place. But...I cannot argue with him. I told him I think it is a mistake but if he has enough help then maybe he can do it. Having the help is the key. He insists he understands that part now. Hmmmm....we'll see. Nothing has happened yet. But my buess is, he will bring her home. And then I will start getting the phone calls every hour. Or not. Maybe this time he will have help in most of the day. If he doesn't he will beat himslef to the ground trying to move her around and take care of her. It is so sad and so common.

Okay...Open House today! Will anyone show up? The house is ready in any case.

Sandy

CM Neidhofer
11-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Kate....that's great news for Madison. Thoughts and prayers for you and all the family.

Chewie...4 wheelers can be dangerous, and not just for kids. My personnel manager at work is gimping about this week. She and her husband were out 4-wheeling and she flipped hers on top of herself. She's not seriously hurt, but pretty banged up and bruised.

I had a wonderful visit with my son a week or so ago. He went back home to Florida last Sunday. He called me on Tuesday to tell me that....when he arrived in Tampa, his girl friend and his best friend, Derrick, were there to pick him up. They had my son's truck and had filled it up with gas for him. My son, Karl, asked why? Derrick said because we wanted to! Well....ok....thanks! When they dropped Derrick at home, Steph told him he couldn't go home yet and whisked him away. She'd rented a little cabin on the river for the night and took him there, where SHE proposed to him!!! He told me before that they were going to get engaged next year, when he had enough money saved to buy the ring for her. So now he has a ring and he'll still buy the wedding set next year and give her ring to her then. The wedding will be in 2007. I asked him how he felt about the whole thing. I'm HAPPY, Mom!! lol Then that's all that matters, son!