PDA

View Full Version : Cure man

seejay
01-22-2002, 10:11 PM
Hi,

This is the only portrait I've tried with pen and ink, and I'm in no rush to start another.;) These things take time.

I did it several months ago, and have forgotten the number of hours spent on it.

I did it for my teenage daughter, along with a graphite one of Beck, one of her other music idols at the time. She liked it.

I don't know if you will recognise the person, but the message title should help. I'm not really sure if it is a good likeness of him or not.

MarkL
01-22-2002, 10:53 PM
.......But I just keep on laughing, hiding the tears in my eyes
Cos' boys don't cry, Boys don't cry........

Hiya

well done, I recognise
look forward to more eh dont give up
what styles did you use in this drawing?
line, pointillism, scribble? all?
and what size paper?

catch ya

seejay
01-22-2002, 11:41 PM
Mark,

Glad you like it. I couldn't remember his name before ( Robert Smith ) , so I used my daughter's term for him.:)

The original image itself is a bit larger than A4. I used mainly short hatched lines, lots of crosshatching, and of course scribble for that hair. No dots in this one.

I have a couple more ink drawings I would love to put here, but they are framed - a bit hard to scan. I need to get some photos of them somehow.

I haven't given up, but I do need some inspiration. Luckily, there's plenty around here...

Cheers,

els
01-23-2002, 07:13 AM
Very nice pic. Very well done.

artdude
01-23-2002, 12:06 PM
Hi seejay:
WOW!! This is GREAT!! Hey, nice ink work on this portrait!! You've done an awesome job on this. All that crosshatching seems like it's as time consuming as stippling (pointillism). Hope you can get those framed inks photographed so we can see MORE!! Thanks for posting :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: 5 claps out of 5 for this :)

NorahT
01-23-2002, 03:24 PM
Lovely work - fabulous hair :)

seejay
01-23-2002, 05:29 PM
Better late than never, I suppose.

I didn't think of it before, but here is a zoom for a closer look at my rough technique - it's not pretty, but it seems to work okay.:)

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Chris

MarkL
01-23-2002, 06:22 PM
WOW

I thought I was looking at an illustration from from the Victorian age, Great Line work
:clap: :clap: :clap:

RuthT
01-25-2002, 09:49 AM
Great pen work Seejay. The hair is fabulous.

Would also like to see the other work you have done. :)

sassybird
01-26-2002, 08:07 AM
That close up really shows the cross hatching you did. I like the way you combined the scribble in the hair with the whisps coming down on his forehead. That looks very natural. I don't know this artist, so can not tell you if it is a good likeness or not. But, since you daughter loved it I am sure it must be:D

You did a great job on the sleeves and collar also. I know that must have taken a great deal of time. I've done a few portraits in ink and it can be a PITA.......lol

seejay
01-28-2002, 10:06 PM
Thanks again, everyone.

If all these kind words don't get me started on another one of these then nothing will. :D

Chris

christyc82
01-29-2002, 09:49 PM
I like this A LOT. Ive tried one drawing ever in pen and ink, and it frustrated me. It's still not finished...hehe. The snake is taking FOREVER. Though looking at how you were able to create a person with pen and ink wants to make me try it again. Maybe I'll play this weekend if I get all my homework done in time. Dont give up on pen and ink though, you're too good to stop it!

digistyle
01-30-2002, 07:06 PM
Nice, moody portrait. I think that you have a very clean technique, not rough at all. Nice line work.

digistyle

seejay
01-30-2002, 09:48 PM
Hi christyc82,

Glad you like it! I haven't given up pen & ink, just need to get inspired.

Hi digistyle,

Thanks for the compliments!

Chris