PDA

View Full Version : Which Easel???

Kristrotter
10-28-2005, 10:55 PM
I am going to buy a new studio easel and was wondering which ones you guys recommend. I'd like to keep it around $150 or less. I have been looking at the ones on the Dick Blick site. I would like to have the canvas height to be at or more than 60" and would like for it to tilt forward for pastels.

I don't do plein air yet, so this would just be for indoor painting.

Thanks! :wave:

khourianya
10-29-2005, 12:38 AM
I absolutely love my best deluxe lobo. It tilts to pretty muchany angle you could want, is solid oak and holds anywhere from the teeniest drawing board to...well I don't know how high it goes because my ceiling gets in the way first...:D

http://www.dickblick.com/zz502/01/

It's slightly over your price range listed, but only by about $10 (and well worth it, if you ask me)

Khadres
10-29-2005, 09:49 AM
I have a similar one to Cori's, only it's made by Winsor & Newton, costs a bit less, and adjusts in a couple ways the Lobo doesn't. It's great for sitting and standing artists. I also have the Deluxe Dulce which is a heavier Best made easle...made of oak and capable of holding much larger paintings, it adjusts forward, as well. I can sit at the Dulce, too, but it really shines for stand up artists.

If at all possible, you should try to see as many easels as you can in the flesh before making up your mind. It's so difficult to really tell what's what online only.

Piper Ballou
10-29-2005, 11:43 AM
I have a best deluxe lobo like cori's. I love it. It will be well worth the little extra it costs...this one will last me forever, they have one slighty cheaper but it does not look at steady as this one.
putting it together is a little confusing because we did not find the directions to be realy clear.
piper

khourianya
10-29-2005, 02:22 PM
I found the same thing, Piper...took me about an hour to figure it out - but still worth it.

Muffin_4377
10-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Another "Best" Deluxe Lobo easel here too....And ditto on the instructions!!

It's really stable, easy to change positions, adjusts for, I think, up to 70" inch "canvas"(ceiling gets in the way here too), doesn't take up a heck of alot of room....appox. 22" wide & 27" deep at the base (Does fold up nicely, if needed to be), Solid Oak ...I've had mine snce Apr...still smells freshly oiled, the bottom shelf is handy...

the only prob I find with it was the tightening knobs gnawing away at the wood.....I got myself some rubber washers to put between...does the trick.

K that's my review....Good luck in your search....I had a blast researching mine.....it was like picking out the perfect piece of furniture...:)

Kristrotter
11-01-2005, 10:47 PM
I apologize for not responding sooner...just moved. :eek:

Anyway, thank you Cori, Suze, Piper and Dania for giving me your suggestions. It helps out a lot, because I probably won't get to see many easels in the flesh. I have been painting in my pantry for the past few years and now have a real room to call my studio. So, I cannot wait to get an easel now that I have the room for it. You are right Dania....it is fun researching and picking it out. I definitely want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks again!!! :D

Howard Metzenberg
11-18-2005, 01:51 AM
Kristi,

Since you want an easel primarily for pastels, and you want to work on large canvases, I'll recommend a different one. Best's University Easel tilts on an offset brace, so it really does that forward tilt well. It is a bit more expensive than the Lobo Easel, but much more solid and stable. I have recommended it to a friend who is a pastel artist, and he loves it.

The Lobo is a real example of a convertible easel, in that it can do watercolors too. But my feeling is that convertible easels try do everything, and end up not quite doing everything well. When they say they handle a tall canvas, it means you have to huddle down near the floor to get to the bottom part of your canvas.

The University Easel is so big and solid! It's not very portable, but that weight makes it a very steady workstation for vertical and forwarding tilting positions, great for pastel painting. So if you want both large canvas handling and forward tilting for pastels, I would go University.

Howard Metzenberg
Dick Blick Art Materials
Highland Park, IL

DLJohnson
11-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi,

I think mine is Academy, by Best, not sure. It was cheap, awful to put together but holding up very well.

I do say use DickBlick for your easel. Jerry's seem to be playing some kind of game with easels. They wait for 3 months before they send it. If you search the threads you will see countless posts from people waiting unreal lengths of time.

Good luck!

Donna

HarvestMoon
11-18-2005, 07:43 PM
I like the looks of the Lobo, but I have a Mabef.... my first one did not adjust well up and down- if you can get to a Jerry's or something and actually try to adjust them up and down and tilt them, and see how hard or easy it is... also is there a tray for pastels? I like to put the pastels I am working with on a foam pad on a tray right under the easel.... I wasted money on the 'wrong' easels....

chewie
11-20-2005, 08:32 PM
think an easel is like a car or a winter coat--just gotta try them before you get them, each person has a diff. want/need/likes. i have a mabef convertable, and i admit, i dont' use it converted much! (had it a year, and have yet felt the need to lay it over) but i very much love the beech wood its made of, and the casters. i am very pleased with it.

i can also tell horror stories about asw (which is the very same co. as jerry's btw) and will no longer use them ever!! blicks' is fast, and any problems have been resolved, usually better than i was going to ask for, within the quickest time possible. whatever brand you choose, i'd go thru blick's to get it. and please, post a pix of it, whatever you decide on, when it arrives!!

Khadres
11-21-2005, 06:07 PM
I found the same thing, Piper...took me about an hour to figure it out - but still worth it.

Too funny...my Winsor & Newton was put together, ready to go out of the carton!

khourianya
11-21-2005, 06:28 PM
The lobo was mostly assembled, just a few pieces to bolt together, but the directions stunk :)

Artistammy
12-04-2005, 09:18 PM
I just got a different one. It's the Lyre easel ($50 on sale) from Dick Blick. It still tilts forward but it just has 3 legs which works great for my studio set-up. I have a floor lamp for light in the corner & it has to go up thru the space where there's a flat shelf on the other easels mentioned. I don't do watercolor so I didn't worry about if it would lay down flat. It's way more sturdy than the one I've been using for 7 years. I think I'm going to love it. :D It was not put together much & they left out some steps in the instructions. I had to take a leg off once to go back & put a piece in place they forgot to tell about in the instructions. :mad: I still didn't have too much trouble figuring it out. The only thing I'm not crazy about is it's height...I think it's 7'. I don't know if we can take that traveling. LOL
Tammy
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2005/3341-neweasel20052.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2005/3341-neweasel2005.jpg

Shari
12-04-2005, 09:37 PM
I also have the Mabef Lyre easel like Tammy does, and I think it works just fine. It tilts far forward, and I just put a wooden TV tray under it with my pastel box on it.

Kristrotter
12-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Wow, I haven't checked in here in quite some time because I have been so busy with our new home and the holidays and everything, but I really appreciate all the suggestions you guys are giving me. I still haven't purchased an easel yet, but when I do....I will let you know what I decided on.

I work with pastels and oils mostly, so I really don't need one that converts for the watercolor position. I do want to have large canvases on it, and I hadn't thought about how the Lobo might have it where you have to scrunch down like you said Howard. Thank you for your input!!

Thanks everyone. I am off to look at them again.:D

bjcpaints
12-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Good thread Kristie! I am shopping myself and finding it all confusing! I already have 2 cheap easels that I am not satisfied with so I want one that will really do the trick for pastels, but be versatile for acrylics as well. I am going to go do some hands on looking at the art supply store!
Barbara

Khadres
12-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Aside from my lobo-type Winsor & Newton easel, I also have a classic deluxe Dulce by Best. This one holds LARGE canvases (there's even a larger size one which holds monster canvases!), adjusts well up and down and tilts forward enough to keep dust off the support. It's rock solid and has a very elegant, no folderol type design. The only reason I added the lobo type one was so I could work on a more horizontal surface when using CPs or OPs. There's also a cheaper version of the Deluxe Dulce...called an "Academy" Dulce, I think. Blicks is the best place for easel ordering.

HarvestMoon
12-29-2005, 10:29 AM
I very nearly bought a french full size easel for plein air- because the richard mcdaniel GA set is designed to fit right in one....but tried a half box one in the studio and kept knocking it down... i use a maebef something.... can't remember the model right now... but I like it a lot.
Linda

Kristrotter
01-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Okay, I am finally ready to order my easel from DickBlick, but I want to make sure that the measurements are correct. I really like the looks and price of the Best Deluxe Lobo, the one that Cori and Dania recommend. After checking out DB's site, the canvas measurement is listed at 44" and the extended height is 70". Does extended height mean the height of the entire easel when extended or the maximum canvas height? I called DB and the girl couldn't tell me. If the max canvas is 44", then I may go for the Best University as recommended by Howard Metzenberg. It costs double, but I want to make sure I can put a larger canvas on it.

If anyone can verify the canvas measurement for me, I would greatly appreciate it. I am really excited and chomping at the bit to just go ahead and order!! I have been waiting for quite some time. Anyway, thanks for any input you guys can give me.

Muffin_4377
01-13-2006, 01:22 PM
K Kristie...I tried to expand my easel to it's largest capable size......the darn ceiling and walls, cause where I have it placed in my studio, made that a little difficult. But from what I can see, it would support a 60" canvas comfortably... I think 65" would be cutting it close...70" I think you would be fighting to keep the top support in. But holy a 70" canvas is freakin' HUGE!! I would have to replace ALL my art supplies after that one!! :D LOL

Kristrotter
01-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Dania, thank you so much for taking a look at that for me!! You are a big help!!:D :wave:

chewie
01-13-2006, 05:52 PM
well, whatcha git??? let's see it!!! i love easel shopping!!

Kristrotter
01-19-2006, 11:54 AM
OK...FINALLY! I bit the bullet and ordered the one that I really wanted. I ordered the Best University Easel [B]and[B]I ordered a set of Doug Dawson's Workshop GA's. I felt like this was the easel I had my heart set on because of how sturdy it is and the larger sized canvases it will hold, and I believe it should last me for many years to come. I think, if it is everything it is said to be, the money will be well worth it. As for the new set of pastels...I have been wanting a set of GA's for a very long time and they were on sale (cheaper than Dakota's) so I went for it as well. I am so excited!! It will probably take a couple of weeks to get my easel, but I will try to get you guys a pic. of it when it comes.
Thanks you guys for all the suggestions!