PDA

View Full Version : Abstract - Ink

artdude
01-22-2002, 04:44 PM
Hi gang. I was having quite an artists block and someone suggested to me to try abstracts to get my creativity going again. I normailly work in graphite and black ink because of my color-blindness. This is a whole new world to me so don't be surprised if you see some wierd color combinations in my work. I am really enjoying this color thing. Here is my first attempt at colored inks. The base colors used are: yellow, turquoise and purple. Done on wet 140lb cold press watercolor paper.

PS: I also have a question about the watercolor paper. I have a hard time getting it to stay flat. I've tried to press it with something heavy and also taped it down while it dries. I still get a bit of warping. Any ideas?? Thanks

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2002/cosmic1.jpg
TITLE: COSMIC EXPLOSIONS

This is also posted in the "Abstract Forum"

kitaye
01-22-2002, 08:12 PM
I've had the same problem ith the paper warping. The person who helped me at The Paint Spot said there are two solutions for different stages of painting. BEfore beginning you stretch the paper...soak it for a few minutes then tape it heavily to a flat surface using a tape that will resist the water. After painting you use a hot dry iron to iron the backside of the paper (cover it with a towel to prevent scorching) and iron it like you would a shirt.

I haven't tried the iron yet but stretching made a big difference. The other solutioon I foound was goinf to MonaLisa's in Calgary (you are in Alberta, yes?) and buying a heavier paper. I bought a 20X30 sheet of illustration board that has watercolour paper sealed tothe front. Works pretty good and is cuttable.

dnip24
01-22-2002, 10:12 PM
Pretty picture!

els
01-23-2002, 07:23 AM
Nice work Art. kitaye told you right things, try these two methods...

artdude
01-23-2002, 11:42 AM
Thanks els and dnip24 :D :D

kitaye
Thanks for the paper info. I will also look for some heavier paper.
I think that will help. I am having a hard time finding what is called "Drafting Tape" and that is what most books refer to as far as the type of tape they use. I'll keep hunting for it :)

NorahT
01-23-2002, 03:22 PM
A lovely abstract Artdude - the colours glow :)

artdude
01-23-2002, 03:57 PM
:D THANK YOU NORAH!! :D

kitaye
01-23-2002, 04:41 PM
MOna Lisa said they will ship paper to anywhere in ALberta so you could check with them about ordering some. As for the tape I use a wide masking tape to tape my paper down before I wet it. I've seen butchers gummed tape at the PAint Spot. MAybe something like that would work for you?

Originally posted by artdude
kitaye
Thanks for the paper info. I will also look for some heavier paper.
I think that will help. I am having a hard time finding what is called "Drafting Tape" and that is what most books refer to as far as the type of tape they use. I'll keep hunting for it :) [/B]

sassybird
01-26-2002, 08:23 AM
This does look like a cosmic explosion.........lol I think that if you had some areas that were misty that the piece would not be so heavy though. Do you know what I am talking about? When we look at pictures from space there is a good concentration of color and density, but then there are areas that appear to be swirling like mist around the outer edges and throughout the photo here and there. Other than that missing I love the colors. You got them right on, and I know being color blind that you have to go by the names of colors to do these pieces. You do a good job:D

crazi4art
01-26-2002, 06:37 PM
the colors are great....i like it a lot !

Flattwo
01-27-2002, 12:02 PM
Hi

The Hubble Telescope could not do better, nice piece!

Flattwo

christyc82
01-29-2002, 09:53 PM
In class, we always soak the paper for a few minutes, then lay it on a large towel, with another on top of it for just a few seconds to soak out as much as we can without taking it all. Then we'd stapple it to a wooden drawing board, with masking tape over the stapples so that the water would not get on them causing them to rust and bleed into the painting. Then we'd just pull out the stapples and matt it. You might also want to try a watercolor paper block. I've never used one, but folks in class have, and it seems to stay flat pretty well.

artdude
01-30-2002, 03:28 PM
A BIG THANKS to: kitaye, sassybird, crazi4art, Flattwo and christyc82 :D :D For your comments and suggestions.

Christy: I just bought a watercolor paper "block" and didn't even know it. Can you paint over these sheets of paper without removing them from the block? Can you use a wet-on-wet application with these without warping the sheets underneath??

christyc82
01-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Yup yup. The glue on the edges holds the paper down as you paint on it. My prof. taught us to use wet on wet with a lot of water, and he always did his demo's on the watercolor blocks. You just have to be careful taking them off after they have dried. Be sure to use a razor or something to lift off only the sheet you have used, or else, the next page will buckle a lot if you cut the glue on the edge of it.

phcor
02-01-2002, 09:47 PM
artdude, well done!
I am color-blind too (red-green deficiency). FWIW: don't advertize it and build your colors as you like them. As well, if you get a watercolor palette, write down the exact names of your colors. wih a bit of study on collor theory and mixing, and TA-Da! Enjoy yourself!