PDA

View Full Version : Fixative for pastels

Africanart
10-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Hi There

I hope this has not been posted yet, I tried earlier but my computer just froze up so I am not sure if it went through or not. If it did I apologize for the repeat of the questions.

I am normally over at the Drawing and Sketching forum, getting the braincells all stirred up again - getting rid of some of the rust. I have just started a series of the big five of Africa in pastels (first time really using pastels in the sense of a medium).

1. What is the recommendation to fix the work so that it does not smudge etc.
2. Do you also have a guidance course for beginners in pastels as in the drawing basic 101.
3. How should I store my work untill I am finished with them all and ready to frame it (talking about framing is there any special way to frame pastel work) or do they get treated the same as pencil drawings.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Bringer
10-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi,

Besides all the answers you'll get here, why not take a look at my October Links thread ?
Maybe you'll find something usefull.

Best regards,

Josť

HarvestMoon
10-27-2005, 04:32 PM
1. hi- I have found that the sennelier fixative seems to be much better than something like krylon, which seems to darken the colors- but a fixative can change the colors (usually darkens them and can even bring out the underpainting colors)- a lot of pastelists do not use it- even if you do, it will still smudge

2. a bunch of folks here use jackie simmons 'pastel workshop' book as a basic book, but there are many good ones- don't know of an online beg. guide but there may be one- at least some good threads

3. I usually use glassine on top of a picture and store them all flat in a big carry folder (on its side) so they don't slide around or wrinkle

hope that helps!

Africanart
10-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Thank you for your replies and will definitely look into your suggestions.

Regards

Nori
10-27-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi and wecome

1) I don't use fixative anymore now that I use Wallis Sanded paper . Even the best fixative won't eliminate smudging in my opinion. Fixative is great to help add more tooth to the paper, but that's rarely needed if you use Wallis (or other sanded grounds) Putting the picture under glass is the best solution.

2) I too like Jackie's books. I have heard that her videos are wonderful as well. I wish I could have afforded a video when I was starting. But the best learning tool is this forum. That sounds almost gratuitous but I kid you not. I learn so much from other people's questions/ answers. The comments on work I post are always well worded and the observations very astute.

3) I agree that Glassine is the best. When I don't have any, I make double mats for my pictures, attach them and then store a stack of matted pictures behind armoires, desks and sideboards. Yep, you guessed it, I do lose track of a few from time to time.

Africanart
10-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks Nori

By just browsing quickly through the forum I have picked up the whole thing about the sand paper thingy - forgive me but I am very inexperienced when it comes to pastels, at the moment I am drawing with it like I would with pencil, and don't know all the stuff with pastels - I have also seen the term pastel painting? UHHHMM Clueless ... help please.

Regards

Nori
10-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Ah, the Pastel Painting vs. Pastel vs. Pastel Drawing issue. I call my work paintings because that's what I hope they come off as. Layered and textured and rich in color. I don't get picky with folks who name them differently.

One way to work in pastels is to lay down color and shapes as you would with pencils, but you can lay the pastel on it's side and cover large areas in thick or thin swaths, you can swirl it, feather it and when you have many layers you can cut into it with a color shaper and make ridges or remove color. You can lightly graze the surface of the work and leave a thinner translucent layer of color.

Africanart
10-27-2005, 08:22 PM
:eek: so many things but I get it - I think. Thanks. Will post the drawing/painting when I am done.

Bringer
10-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi again,

Something vital : you should break your pastels when you feel that you should.
Don't worry, they'll break anyway when you start dropping them on the floor :-)

Regards,

Josť

Inkfulthinking
10-27-2005, 09:20 PM
great question and thanks for all the answers and links! :D I am always looking to see what others like best........ and product opinions so I can determine what is best for me :clap:

Africanart
10-27-2005, 10:06 PM
:eek: what!!!!!!! you mean break them ... just kidding I am not that much of a stickler about my pastels :D I only hate it when my pencil leads breaks of all the time when I sharpen them. (although I have to say that I have some pastel pencils and that ticks me off when they break trying to sharpen them)

Inkfulthinking
10-27-2005, 10:19 PM
:eek: what!!!!!!! you mean break them ... just kidding I am not that much of a stickler about my pastels :D I only hate it when my pencil leads breaks of all the time when I sharpen them. (although I have to say that I have some pastel pencils and that ticks me off when they break trying to sharpen them)
OH YES a pencil sharpener breaking the lead is a BIG HAIRY DEAL THAT ticks me off too!! :D