PDA

View Full Version : Look at my first boro bead and be honest!

borbala77
10-27-2005, 04:58 AM
Ok, so after flirting with the idea for the longest time, finally I `gave birth` to my first boro bead on Monday.
Man, it took me forever to make it!!!

I expected more colors/swirls, and since I was using a very oxidizing flame the whole time I don`t know why I didn`t achieve those...

Please, share any suggestions you have!

Also, is it `rude` to include boro and Moretti in the same set :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2005/57627-csutfirstboro.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2005/57627-csutboroset.jpg

Thank you! :wave:

aks141
10-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Its beautiful. I don't know why you didn't get more swirls, but I don't miss them, its pretty as is. Are you saying the four other beads in the second pic are Moretti? I saw this earlier in S&T and didn't realize they were different glasses. I thought they might be WYSIWYG colors. I don't think its rude to mix them but if you are selling them, be sure to state what is what very plainly.

Yum.

RO Jones
10-28-2005, 05:17 AM
Great purples... I'm a full time flam eworker and work hard to acheive purples that nice. Which color did you use? Great bead...first or otherwise.

borbala77
10-28-2005, 05:32 AM
Thank you for the kind words, you made my day!!! :wave:

I used Northstar`s Duble Amber Purple and Schott clear.
First I made a small clear core-bead, then put a thin layer of the DAP on it...then small dots of clear on top.
I`m on a large torch called Zenit and I used an oxidizing flame while working on this bead.

collectiblesbyrose
10-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Beautiful colors and great shape to the beads. You sure know how to take good photos!!!

Alaskalinda
03-13-2006, 03:53 AM
Borbola,
those are all gorgeous and your pictures are also fabulous!!!

Boro and Moretti in the same set...... why not? I think a combination like you have made would be enticing to any designer.

Linda

JDeMoss
03-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Beautiful work.

You may have worked it too oxidizing, if you wanted a lot of swirls. I use double amber purple a lot and sometimes I'll flash it in a reducing flame to get the mix of colors I want. Keep messing with it and you can get tons of colors out of one.
But, it looks nice how it is.

Jesse

Charlotte S
03-15-2006, 02:52 AM
Awesome....

juliagfunk
04-24-2006, 05:00 PM
some boro colors react differently with different flames. one thing you can do is if you are using clear dot on top, first make the core and bathe it in a very oxidising flame, then apply the clear dots and put it in a reducing flame. The glass under the clear will remain the original color and the reduction can cause other colors in the part exposed to the reduction. with these colors you have to experiment a lot, and even then, you can't always predict what it will look like. that's the fun.

B-Todd
04-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Those are very nice beads. Love the color.

Belinda :)

delicateweasel
08-03-2006, 04:45 PM
You're on your way! Nice job.
Rachel

AussieClaire
09-21-2006, 05:23 AM
A lovely boro bead and the colours of the Moretti are a beautiful compliment. :thumbsup:

Cheers from Australia :wave:

Claire

marymi
10-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I think your bead is lovely, but I took a class with Dough Remschneider and he was a fantastic teacher and really taught the class so that you'd understand how the colors and crystals grow in the glass. Have fun!!!!

Mary

dumpuf
09-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Very Pretty! I really do like the cranberry color. :clap:

RCKeyes
09-12-2008, 09:36 PM
I`m on a large torch called Zenit and I used an oxidizing flame while working on this bead.

You own a Herbie and it took you forever to make one bead??????

DAP likes a nuetral flame when your working it. when your done, strike it in the back of a reducing flame. It will also strike nicely in the kiln above 1100F.

simplyburch
08-05-2013, 08:06 PM
That's amazing.