PDA

View Full Version : February Animal art project..

animal
01-22-2002, 01:38 PM
The animal project has been started. Please share your progress in here and your information.

There are two references to work from.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=136

dnip24
01-22-2002, 02:28 PM
good idea! I wish to see new things there animal!

AriadneArts
01-22-2002, 04:38 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to sign up for this project but keep getting the message "you haven't logged in yet." What's that about?
How do I log in? :confused:

animal
01-22-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by AriadneArts
Hello,

I'm trying to sign up for this project but keep getting the message "you haven't logged in yet." What's that about?
How do I log in? :confused:

Eileen,
Go to the main projects page and in the top left hand corner is the log in button. You use the same username and password you use in the forums. Then head to the project you want to join and click sign up.

AriadneArts
01-22-2002, 04:42 PM
Duuuuuh! Ah thank ah got it.....!:p

AriadneArts
01-22-2002, 04:47 PM
Thanks Animal,

I had just gone back to the site and figured it out. I think we were posting at the same time. Really looking forward to the project, sooooooo no time like the present to get started.....

Eileen:D

colorme
01-23-2002, 07:32 AM
great project animal!, maybe i'll sign up and draw some animals for a change, I like the hawk photo.

greencook
01-23-2002, 10:55 AM
Good idea animal, looking forward to drawing the hawk. Good reference pic.

Have a great day!

:)

AriadneArts
01-23-2002, 05:53 PM
My first sketch of the Harris Hawk. Heeeeere goes......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2002/HarrisHawk7.JPG

I had a heck of a time trying to get this to come up on the scanner--just learning how to use IT too. All comments welcome (but please be gentle LOL.)
:cat:

Guess I need to focus that scanner.

Just graphite--ordinary NO.2 pencil.

greencook
01-23-2002, 10:27 PM
Ariadnearts,
Very nice first sketch. I like the detailing work you've done on the feathers. Looking forward to your finished piece.

Have a great day!

auntie_chaos
01-24-2002, 08:01 AM
I like what you've done here AriadneArts. I know what you're saying about getting sketches to come up on the scanner - I've had similar problems with my daughter's sketches at times. Looks like you've conquered that problem though here! :)

rollow
01-24-2002, 12:37 PM
As a wildlife artist, I think that this is a great project, and can't wait to get started on it.

:clap:

AriadneArts
01-24-2002, 02:36 PM
Glad to know I'm not alone in trying to deal with the scanner. Sometimes I begin to feel retarded when I can't seem to figure out what later (when you know what you're doing) turns out to be pretty simple.

The sketch was darkened considerably and some outlining done in an effort to get it to come up on the scanner. Still no luck. I could only get it to come up as "line art" and then just faintly. Finally, after just clicking on every single tool, I hit on the brightness/contrast and found that fooling around with these made all the difference. I was even able to get it up as "256 shades of gray." But, even then, it's hard to make it come up looking like the graphite. I'm just going to keep turning knobs and clicking tools--there's plenty to learn on this scanner...:p

DanaT
01-26-2002, 06:28 PM
This looks like fun! I haven't done wildlife before (mainly my cat) so this will be a challenge!

I'll plan to upload some prelim sketches tomorrow (they will be VERY prelim but that's what progress reports are for!) and the finals next weekend.

:)

greencook
01-27-2002, 01:02 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2002/Harris_Hawk.GIF

Hello all,
Here's my first submission for this fun project. Unfortunately my scanner and I don't seem to be gettin along. Even after adjusting the contrast and brightness my image still looks grainy and I've lost some resolution.
BTW, I've just noted I left out a finger on the falconer's wrist (lol :D )
Did this one on Strathmore 80# drawing paper with graphite and charcoal pencils. Not real happy with the hawk's breast. But will hope to do better next go around. The next try, I think I'll use a 140 # watercolor paper. That worked well with my last detailed drawing.
Any and all comments are welcomed. :)

Have a great day! :)

DanaT
01-27-2002, 10:08 PM
Whew, I made it! I promised myself I'd post my progress today and I did it!

Here's the initial grayscale sketch of the Harris Hawk I did in three values just to get a feel of the major shapes and values (and try it in watercolor after six months off!) Now I'll choose my colors in a color sketch and then its off to the final watercolor.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2002/Hawk-grayscalestudy.jpg

I know I have to refine the contours more and put more variety inside the bird but any critique you have will be appreciated. I probably won't have time to finish until next weekend, but this gives me something to look forward to!

Hurray and thanks for such an inspiration! I'm finally off my butt and doing art!

AriadneArts
01-28-2002, 01:06 AM
Hi Dana, the values and general shape are looking good. I look forward to seeing the finished pic. One thing I would suggest (and this is just my UNexpert opinion) is to shorten the bill a bit and make the bottom of the beak more straight than curved. Recheck the reference image and I think you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for posting your "in progress" pic. I'm just getting ready to post my 2nd one. It's great for me to see how others are coming along.:D

DanaT
01-28-2002, 01:24 AM
Thanks, Eileen.

Good catch on the bill and the beak. They were relatively small shapes so I didn't concentrate on them at this stage in the painting. When I paint larger, I'll have more room to get the shapes exactly.

I love what you've done so far, and can't wait to see your next progress shot.

Abu Haidar
01-28-2002, 04:42 AM
First time it was so easy..but I found a hard thing to make its feather. Done on a common sketch book using Staedler Marsmatic Lumograph EE, Derwent Sketching pencil 4B and Faber Castle colored pencil...

Abu Haidar

DanaT
01-28-2002, 09:28 AM
Abu,

You nailed that expression and that fur! Good job! I love this pic - maybe I'll have time to do it too (if we have all February-I hope)

My only suggestion is to preserve your lights somewhere - either in the dog or in the background. Everything looks about a medium tone.

Otherwise, great. It's so inspiring to see everybody else!

PS Now everybody is posting their progress pics on the project board. Right???

Abu Haidar
01-28-2002, 08:34 PM
Hi Dana,

Thanks a lot.. So we are waiting for next project.
I suggest our next project is "Cats' cub". Isn't it great ???

Abu Haidar

DanaT
01-30-2002, 03:59 PM
A Cat's Club Project would be awesome!

Lady Grey
01-30-2002, 04:39 PM
Greencook - don't worry about your picture - the hawk is just fine - the problem with scanners is - they always make the paper appear more grainy than it is :-(
AriadneArts and DanaT - your sketches look very promissing, I wait for more :-) Hawk seems to be very popular.
Dana - there was already a project about cats - last Januar, I guess - but we can do something new about it (I would :p
Lady Grey

Lady Grey
01-30-2002, 04:43 PM
I uploaded some progress images, you can find them here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_progress2.php?username=Lady+Grey&proj_id=136

I chose the hawk image and I will make my "speciality" out of it - a paper cutout with background painted with ink. It will take some time to finish.

Lady Grey

DanaT
01-31-2002, 09:19 AM
Wonderfully creative, Lady Grey! I look forward to your final.

PS I agree about the cat project.

AriadneArts
01-31-2002, 12:29 PM
Looking forward to the finished product. How large is the entire image and how long do you estimate it will take?

Lady Grey
01-31-2002, 12:38 PM
It's ca. 15x25 cm (I haven't decided yet, how big the background will be) (ca. 6 x 10 inches). It will take about 10-12 hours to finish. I actually prefer smaller pictures - the're more diffcult :D
Lady Grey

Lady Grey
01-31-2002, 03:08 PM
A new progress pick :) My hawk is growing !
Lady Grey

AriadneArts
01-31-2002, 05:54 PM
That is OH TOO BEAUTIFUL, Lady Grey...!!! Great to see the progress pics. Thanks.

Lady Grey
02-02-2002, 03:28 PM
The cutting process is finished :D Now I'll proceed with ink background and then I will probably need a few adjustments to the cutout anyway.
Lady Grey

DanaT
02-02-2002, 05:06 PM
Beautiful! I love the way you flipped the bird so he's looking the other way!

iyoung
02-06-2002, 02:55 PM
Well I lost the original reference pic after having begun the sketch of the doggie. Then I found the sketch of the doggie in my drawing book a month later and wondered, "what's this?"

Worked on the doggie for awhile, then remembered it was animal's project dog.

It had already become a somewhat imaginary doggie, however, by the time I got another print of the reference pic.

Graphite (hb & 6b) done the old-fashioned way with finger blending & broken gum eraser negative drawing.

Ilene

Graphite is hard to scan. Here's also a detail of the negative drawing that looks more like it really does in life.

iyoung
02-06-2002, 02:59 PM
didn't upload the images correctly. duh. Here's the pic.
I

bobcat
02-12-2002, 09:27 PM
found this a little late will try to catch up :)

rollow
02-22-2002, 01:49 PM
My contribution to the February art project of the Harris Hawk.

I was going to do it on ash panel, but it just would not come to me, so I decided to do a pencile rendering of it.

Rollo :)

AriadneArts
02-22-2002, 02:34 PM
Beautiful, Rollo! Great detailing. What size is it?

rollow
02-22-2002, 02:46 PM
Thanks Ariadnearts, it is 8 1/2X11.

Rollo

greencook
02-22-2002, 02:57 PM
Wow!

Rollow, this is great! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jeesh, it looks like you've not only flipped it around, but also have it facing forward a bit more than the reference.

Fantastic detailing on the feathers and the texturing of the branch.

Great job! :)

Leaflin
02-22-2002, 10:25 PM
Everybody's work looks great in there.
Good project Animal :)

I did 'Fred' first and was not pleased with the result at all.
Here is my rendition of the Hawk done in acrylic.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2002/Hawk.jpg

AriadneArts
02-22-2002, 11:18 PM
Very nice, Leaflin. I love that you focused on just the head. It's a hawk portrait! Nice attention to detail too. Good job!

auntie_chaos
02-22-2002, 11:40 PM
There's some excellent pieces posted on this project!! You people are amazing!!! I esp like the way you did the eye on your hawk Leaflin ... it looks so real!! I love everyone's postings ... i'm hoping to get the nerve to try in the March one.
This has been a great idea to do these projects animal! :)

DanaT
02-28-2002, 01:41 AM
The last of several color sketches. I kept losing the form when I added color. :mad: For the final (tomorrow!) I'll deepen the contrast.

Any comments on color and any suggestions you might have of how to put more feathers in the bird would be much appreciated! :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2002/HawkFinalColor.jpg

Thanks for looking!

animal
02-28-2002, 08:48 AM
Thanks everybody for coming and joining in February`s Animal Art project. I`m still working on my harrris hawk.:D

Ruth
03-04-2002, 12:25 PM
Better late than never, I guess! Here's my doggy, charcoal on sketch paper, about 8 x 10"

DanaT
03-04-2002, 12:39 PM
Ruth,

I'm even later than you so don't worry.

This is a nice rendering. You really got his personality and the fur texture is marvelous.

animal
04-07-2002, 01:53 PM
I finally got my entry finished.:) :)