PDA

View Full Version : Arc en Ciel

bk7251
03-18-2001, 10:23 PM
Does anyone know where to purchase "Arc en Ciel" pastels? I've never seen them, but have heard that they are wonderful. Bill Creevy's "The Pastel Book" says they're available at New York Central - but they're not. At least, not any more.

------------------
Barry Katz

Roan
03-19-2001, 12:12 AM
Barry,

yah, I've seen them and am wracking my brain trying to remember where.

Soon as I remember and/or check my catalogs I'll post you a note.

------------------
<FONT face="Script MT Bold"><FONT COLOR="#AB4835"><FONT size="5">Roan</FONT s></FONT c></FONT f>
<FONT COLOR="#8A1010">Cuir a-mach an Sasannach, thoir a-staigh an cù, 's tog an teine gu math . . . bidh oidhche fhuar ann a-nochd.</FONT c>
-- <FONT size="1">Put out the Englisman, bring in the dog, and stoke the fire well . . . it will be a cold night tonight.</FONT s>
RoanStudio.com (http://RoanStudio.com) &lt;--- supply resources for pastelists!

Roan
03-20-2001, 12:05 AM
Barry,

Dang it all, I've looked all over and I can't find them anywhere. I was pretty sure I saw them in a catalog at some point. Sigh. Wonder if they went out of business or only sell in Europeon countries or something?

Might want to try a search on UK Yahoo!

Meanwhile, i'll keep looking around.

------------------
<FONT face="Script MT Bold"><FONT COLOR="#AB4835"><FONT size="5">Roan</FONT s></FONT c></FONT f>
<FONT COLOR="#8A1010">Cuir a-mach an Sasannach, thoir a-staigh an cù, 's tog an teine gu math . . . bidh oidhche fhuar ann a-nochd.</FONT c>
-- <FONT size="1">Put out the Englisman, bring in the dog, and stoke the fire well . . . it will be a cold night tonight.</FONT s>

bk7251
03-20-2001, 10:35 AM
Another French pastel I'd like to find is called Roché. Madam Roché's grandfather used to make pastels for Degas, and she continued the business. She died recently, and I understand that her daughter is now making them.

------------------
Barry Katz

Shari
03-20-2001, 11:06 AM
Barry,

I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that this recipe of Mdm. Roche's is now being made by Diane Townsend. On page 4 of the Dakota Pastel catalogue it says, to quote Wolf Kahn, "Diane Townsend, as the unique heiress to the Roche professional secrets, is now making the very finest pastels."

Shari

[This message has been edited by Shari (edited March 20, 2001).]

Roan
03-20-2001, 11:55 AM
You're right! It DOES say that! Great find, Shari. I would have totally missed that.

------------------

bk7251
03-21-2001, 12:38 AM
Yes, I knew that. I use Diane's pastels a lot. But someone told me he thinks the original Roché pastels are still being made in France. Not that I really need any more pastels. But I always like finding something different or special.

By the way, if you haven't tried Diane Townsend's "Terrage" line, you are really missing something.

------------------
Barry Katz

Shari
03-21-2001, 01:09 AM
Barry,

What is is that makes the Terrages so special. How do you use them? Do you use them as a top layer? What paper do you use them on. I am curious about them. More info please. They are very expensive, are they really worth it? I know her pastels are the choice of Wolf Kahn ( so the catalog says).

Shari

bk7251
03-21-2001, 01:21 PM
Shari -

Wolf Kahn first introduced me to the Diane Townsend terrages two years ago. What's great about them is they contain a bit of very fine pumice. (This, apparently, was one of the secret of the Roché family in Paris.) It keeps the paper "open" while you are working - it doesn't get clogged up. You can easily build up several layers without needing fixative. And you can work with them in heavy, dense strokes, or just breathe a fine mist of color onto the paper, which allows you to gradually build up very subtle colors and textures.

The size and shape of the chunks Diane makes, as opposed to the normal cylinder shape of most pastels, makes them great for laying in broad areas of color. But by using an edge or corner, you can still use them for relatively small details.

They are somewhat expensive, but they also last a long time - they don't seem to get used up nearly as fast as Senelliers, for example. Also, her colors are excellent - very pure. Be warned - once you start using them, it's hard to go back. I've spend hundreds of dollars on them without regret - unless my wife sees the bills.

My paper of choice is the Lana pastel pads from New York Central Artist Supplies. It just comes in white (I don't like using tinted paper), and the pads are interleaved with smooth paper between each sheet to protect the surface of the pastels. It has a slight tooth which holds pastel nicely, but is not as rough as watercolor paper.

------------------
Barry Katz

[This message has been edited by bk7251 (edited March 21, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by bk7251 (edited March 21, 2001).]

Shari
03-21-2001, 08:47 PM
Barry,

Thanks for the info. When I get rich, I will get some DT pastels. A friend sent me a few and they are fantastic. Do you use just the terrages or do you use her other pastels as well? I am afraid I have gotten hooked on the Sennelier La Carte paper, but I will try the one you mentioned. I like to try everything. I have been selling everything I am not using to buy pastels. I have sold instruments, jewelry, you name it. I am hooked big time.

Shari

bk7251
03-22-2001, 02:12 PM
Shari -

I, too, love buying art supplies. But I occasionally have to reming myself that the supplies do not make the art. You might want to save some of that jewelry for a rainy day.

------------------
Barry Katz