PDA

View Full Version : Redo of my site

Lenda
10-26-2005, 05:28 PM
It's plainer but I think classier. I have gotten to the point in my beadmaking that I don't want "frills" and stuff on my site, but want the viewer to just enjoy the ART part of it. :) I also changed my site to LendaDewyer.com. But it's just a pointer domain to LendaBeads.com. I'm going to point to the site for a year so that people will get used to the new name and not the old, but I don't want the old viewers to lose me either. Sound like a plan?

Bead and Jewelry links don't work because I haven't finished them and now I'm getting sick, uggghhh :rolleyes:

So, do you think plain and to the point a good thing like I do? :D

ms-priss
10-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Lenda I like it! The only thing that I would change, were it mine, would be to have no menu on that page; just click on the bead to "enter". Call me different, but when I see a site set up like that, my brain tells me to click on the bead to enter the site!!! LOL!!! Does that make any sense??? I really like the black, the simplicity. To me, that represents elegance, and it looks good!

Smiles,
Priss

Lenda
10-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Well thanks Priss, I appreciate it! :wave: I thought about the Splash page and I just personally don't like them. I feel that having the links on the home page shows what's available on my site without having an extra click to find out. But that's MY thinking about it and thanks for giving me YOURS. And I'm glad you like the plain black, I do too!:D

essentialjules
10-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Lenda, I love that Classy Sophisticated look- like you said it puts more Emphasis on the art itself! I did notice that your Bio page is on the left instead of centered like the other pages and I definatly like the centered better......just a thought!

Lenda
10-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Lenda, I love that Classy Sophisticated look- like you said it puts more Emphasis on the art itself! I did notice that your Bio page is on the left instead of centered like the other pages and I definatly like the centered better......just a thought!
Well thanks Julie, I didn't know that the bio page isn't centered. It is when I look at it, but I only looked at it through mozilla, need to check it out through IE. I'm assuming that's what you're using? And thank you about the concentrating on art look, that's just what I was feeling and hoping for!

Will check out to see what's up with the bio page, thanks!:D

Lenda
10-27-2005, 10:46 AM
OK, I think I have that fixed, someone using IE wanna check it for me? Thanks!

essentialjules
10-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Yup, IE....and thanks for that Forum Jump comment~I just never scrolled down that far lol! Look out WC I know where all the forums are now!

essentialjules
10-27-2005, 10:51 AM
You got it now!

Lenda
10-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks Julie! Now, if I can just figuire out why my second line on my index page and contact page doesn't align with the rest of them, I'll have it made. :rolleyes: :D

essentialjules
10-27-2005, 11:23 AM
My guess would be that you have a space at either the front or back of that line on one of the pages.....try that

juniorvarsity
10-27-2005, 12:07 PM
I agree with you Lenda, I hate splash pages! For me, web browsing is about instant gratification, and I don't want to have to wait for somebody's presentation before I can look at what I want to look at! Menus are the way to go. I really like the simplicity of your website, but if it were me, I'd add more pictures. Since the site is about you and your beads, show a picture of yourself in your bio page, or if you are shy, show some other relevant pictures - like scenery from your state or studio space. People will visit your site to find out more about you, and telling them is one thing, showing them is much more:) On the same line of thinking, it'd be nice to have blow-ups of the gallery images, but I can understand if you wouldn't want to do that.

Lenda
10-27-2005, 12:24 PM
I agree with you Lenda, I hate splash pages! For me, web browsing is about instant gratification, and I don't want to have to wait for somebody's presentation before I can look at what I want to look at! Menus are the way to go. I really like the simplicity of your website, but if it were me, I'd add more pictures. Since the site is about you and your beads, show a picture of yourself in your bio page, or if you are shy, show some other relevant pictures - like scenery from your state or studio space. People will visit your site to find out more about you, and telling them is one thing, showing them is much more:) On the same line of thinking, it'd be nice to have blow-ups of the gallery images, but I can understand if you wouldn't want to do that.
Thanks Jessica! I have been going back and forth about more pictures on my bio page but was really afraid of cluttering it up. But maybe that's the one page that I could ALLOW (lol!) that sort of thing. And I don't wanna blow up the gallery because I'll save that for the selling pages. I'd like people with dial up to be able to see the Gallery rather than slow it down for them and I don't want to have to add extra pages just to show a blow up of something they can't have! Another lol!

But I appreciate your response and will think about more pics on the bio page, it has been in the "works" so to say.:D

Lenda
10-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Ok, thanks to Jessica, I've added a very small picture of myself on the bio page, thank you Jessica, I think I like it there!:D

JaniceM
10-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Hi Lenda,

For some reason, I cannot get the "beads" or "jewelry" pages to open. But the gallery is lovely.

Janice :wave:

Lenda
10-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Hi Lenda,

For some reason, I cannot get the "beads" or "jewelry" pages to open. But the gallery is lovely.

Janice :wave:
Hi Janice and thank you! I am still working on the beads and jewelry pages so for right now they're static. I know that that'ss frustrating, maybe I should stick a little note on there? OK, I DID stick a little note on there, don't want people to think that it's broken! Thanks for that too Janice!:D

Luann
10-27-2005, 07:59 PM
Lenda: What an elegant site! I really like it. It makes me want to re-do mine, except that I have a lot going on on the home page and I'm not ready to stop that yet. I agree about the splash page. I've never understood why I have to click "enter" when I'm already at the site. Love the way the gallery looks. Well, again, it's elegant. Very befitting someone working in the arts.

tamjai
10-27-2005, 10:34 PM
HI Lenda - popping in from Wearables with my two cents. I surf the web *too* much and one thing I like to see on that very first page is a bigger pic and the edges of that pic to not be visible. That first image is so important. Your gallery page is beautifully concise although to be picky (sorry.....) two of the pics have a different colour backround and the stark symmetry will be most effective if they are all the same. The only other thing I'll mention and its not important (just my own personal obsession) is a font thing. I'd love to see your name done in a font that is more personal.....cool handwritten font or a scan of your sig. A makers mark so to speak. Your beads are gorgeous and I can't wait to see the 'beads' and 'jewellery' pages....
gotcha bookmarked!
tam

Lenda
10-27-2005, 11:14 PM
Hey Tam, thanks so much for taking the time to write! Hmmm, first off, when you say the edges of my pic, are you talking about the mouse picture? I don't see a border either in IE or Mozilla. :eek: So I'm lost on that one, could you tell me what you're using? I'm kinda partial to that little picture, don't think I want to make it larger than life! LOL!

The font issue. Yes, I've tried a gazillion fonts and I've used several throughout the changes of my site. A handwritten one from my OWN writing might be way cool though, what a thought! But would it look odd with all of the starkness to have something written like that? Might need to play with something.

Hmmm, gallery shots are shots from up to 3 years ago. Never had the same photo setup so there's some variation in it, but I do know what you mean by that. I might just have to try and replace the stark white backgrounds with a couple more shots later. I was hoping I could get away with it, but you're right, they do stick out!

Great suggestions for me though, thank you! And please, elaborate on the picture edge thing for me if you will!:)

midniteburner
10-28-2005, 12:46 AM
Well, I really like the way the pages load. Superfast!

Your 1st page is great. Maybe a bigger photo of the bead would help it stand out.

Your Bio page is kind of dreary and you are far from being a dreary gal! How about photos of you at the shows. How and why you choose to do focals. How moving to NC brought on a whole new inspirational palette. (You seemed so sad in your statement about moving from FL) Talk about your classes and what you got out of them. You were so excited when you got home from the Stump class over what you learned! And how the Winters' class gave you a whole new perspective on organic abstracts, even though you spent most of your time running around helping others. Hey, you know that you enjoyed that!! LOL!!!

I'm sure you are starting to get the picture. And don't forget to talk about your family. A link to Vivian's site, perhaps...

Sara

tamjai
10-28-2005, 07:02 AM
I am on Explorer and have a pretty big screen so maybe that is why the background of the pic is slightly greyer than the black, if it isn't a problem for 99.9 viewers, don't worry about it. I don't think your bead needs to be huge but perhaps a bit bigger - my very first impression was that it was a button to enter. and he an awesome bead so show him off a little! I don't think a handdone signature would be too stark, but that's me...your layout is very structured so I think it can handle it.
tam

Elle D
10-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Hi Lenda

Love the new look! Good work! :clap: :clap:

I would slightly enlarge some of "finer" print on the home page; many websurfers are handicapped/older/eyestrained etc and it can be difficult to make out.

Avoid flash pages - they are annoying and I think waste peoples time - a precious commodity.

Love your home page. Simple and elegant, easily navigated.

I do think your "Utsuke" mouse (probably got the name totally wrong - but that's what I think they're called) which are amoung my ABSOLUTE favorite things that I know that you make and have always admired you for (so much so that they are on my list of coveted items marked for a collection piece to own one day)- are under represented; I would like to see more of them (gallery page , etc) as I always associate them with you when I see them. Also I am not having "border " issue problems with that one on my viewer.

Gallery loaded quickly and alignment , pictures are nicely balanced and sized; Slight variations in backgrounds of pix don't bother me as long as the bead is shown to best advantage, and we are not talking enournous variations (ie different colors/brights altogether). As always photo quality is excellent, with details visible and your gallery exhibits great range of talent and glass workmanship.

Will keep an eye open as you progress.

Fondly
Elle D

PS thanks for the "leg up" on my thread- was starting to think I had become invisible or something - :rolleyes:

ymn
10-28-2005, 10:18 AM
I like your new web site. Everything is easy to find. The pages loaded quickly, which is important for internet users that do not have access to a high speed connection. Yvonne

Lenda
10-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Well, I'm undergoing changes as we speak, so people that saw my site in the beginning, are going to see the changes that were suggested. Thank you Elle, I appreciate your comments on my work, makes me even *blush* just a tad! lol! And thanks Tam for the picture clarification. I probably need to look at my work in different resolutions too, something I didn't think about. Although I think the majority of people don't change their factory settings like me! :D

I enlarged the mouse, hope it's not too large, but if it is, let me know. He no longer looks like a "clicky" pic so I must agree he needed to be larger.

I've added MORE to my bio page, is it too much? Thanks Sara for the suggestions on that page.

I used a hand written font for my name, does it suit me?

I'm having a problem with logo alignment for some reason and I don't understand it. When I look at it in FP, they all are aligned, but when I preview them in Mozilla, the contact is misaligned. Not sure how to fix that. In IE they all align except the index (home) page. All tables are the same in all of the pages, I have NO idea why they show up differently in the browsers!

On my gallery page and bio page, since they're long, I've added navigation ALSO to the bottom of the page so people don't have to scroll to the top.

I've changed the background color on the two tan background pics, now the white ones stick out! LOL! Ugggh. Wish I could take new pics but then it would be present work and not gallery stuff, so I guess for now I'm stuck with it till I sell some stuff to put in my gallery. Ha!

Thanks again everyone for your comments, and Elle, I'm glad your visible, your website is well done and on it's way! ;)

midniteburner
10-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Yes, yes, yes!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I really like the changes!!! Your opening page grabs interest. The gallery page is easier to view. Your bio page took a bit more work and was well worth your effort!!! You show your passion and want to share it with the world.

I hope you didn't take my previous post the wrong way. :eek: Maybe you were feeling a little down or overwhelmed when you wrote that page. It just didn't show your true personality. Now, you have a page that is more LENDA. :cool:

Big congrats,

Sara :wave:

Lenda
10-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Yes, yes, yes!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I really like the changes!!! Your opening page grabs interest. The gallery page is easier to view. Your bio page took a bit more work and was well worth your effort!!! You show your passion and want to share it with the world.

I hope you didn't take my previous post the wrong way. :eek: Maybe you were feeling a little down or overwhelmed when you wrote that page. It just didn't show your true personality. Now, you have a page that is more LENDA. :cool:

Big congrats,

Sara :wave:
Thanks Sara. I guess I was just in a hurry to get it up but with your push, I put some time in on it. Thank you and I didn't take your post the wrong way, it was true and I thank you for the suggestions!

Look, everything about a critique is to bring ideas from lot's of different heads to form ONE thing. I appreciate the ideas because you can't think of everything yourself, everyone has a different outlook. And I can pick and choose from everyone's thoughts and opinions to suit my own.

I totally appreciate everyone's ideas because it makes for a better product in the end. Did I SAY THAT? :eek: LOL!!!:D

Lenda
10-28-2005, 01:07 PM
OK, I think I have a final product before adding, well, product! I darkened the font, I think that was maybe part of what was hard to read, Or did I make it harder to read now?

I changed the font to my name, like this one MUCH better, changed the pic because I like the crane better and I fixed the unaligned part! Yes!!!

Now, to work for the next few days on taking pictures of stuff. Geez, no wonder they wanted lot's of money to make a website for me!

Thanks for your input, it helped me make some necessary changes everyone!:D

juniorvarsity
10-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Looks like it's really coming along. I can't wait to see the jewelry page:)

midniteburner
10-29-2005, 02:38 AM
Looks like it's really coming along. I can't wait to see the jewelry page

Me too!!!!

Gosh, I never thought that anyone took anything I said seriously. So, I just never bother giving my opinions. Hmmm... maybe I do have something that is worthwhile to say...

Sara

tamjai
10-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Lenda - I really like! there are some details in that bead, seeing it now, that make it look so unique. And as a font junkie, I love the new name!
When the whole thing looks this good, minor wee colour variations become invisible, I didn't notice them in your gallery page this time at all. Good Show! :clap: :clap:
tam
p.s. sara - everyone sees from a different perspective, that's what makes your opinion important and worthwhile.

Lenda
10-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks Tam. My original font pick was kind of so so, when I found this one I immediately loved it, thank you! And I fixed the two tan background pictures per your request, (that's why you didn't notice it sticking out) again, thank you!

Sara, see yours and everyone's opinions help, whether we actually use them or not.:)

Thanks everyone. Tomorrow, kids and DH go to work and school so it's picture taking day for me. The website was the easy part, now comes the work! :rolleyes: :D

JoyceMI
11-07-2005, 09:28 PM
I kind of breezed by this post about a week ago and didn't make an effort to reply. But after going and taking a look at your site again today, I wanted to let you know I really like the new look of it.

I know you have redone your site a couple times or so. I guess that is what sites do, change and evolve. I always seem to be drawn to sites with a black background. Especially for beads. I think it really really shows beads off well and makes them pop off the page. I also love the new little 'gold bar' purchase buttons you have to buy the beads with. What a clever idea. They make the site look very classy! One thing I wished I could do, was when in your Gallery, I would have liked to click on the beads to see them larger and close up. Overall it is clean, uncluttered, easy to navigate and classy looking!

hmmmmmm............. I have this slight gnawwing feeling coming on that I might have to play around with my site again....... I'll let it gnaw at me a little while longer before I give in! LOL

Lenda
11-11-2005, 01:06 PM
I kind of breezed by this post about a week ago and didn't make an effort to reply. But after going and taking a look at your site again today, I wanted to let you know I really like the new look of it.

I know you have redone your site a couple times or so. I guess that is what sites do, change and evolve. I always seem to be drawn to sites with a black background. Especially for beads. I think it really really shows beads off well and makes them pop off the page. I also love the new little 'gold bar' purchase buttons you have to buy the beads with. What a clever idea. They make the site look very classy! One thing I wished I could do, was when in your Gallery, I would have liked to click on the beads to see them larger and close up. Overall it is clean, uncluttered, easy to navigate and classy looking!

hmmmmmm............. I have this slight gnawwing feeling coming on that I might have to play around with my site again....... I'll let it gnaw at me a little while longer before I give in! LOL

Joyce, it was so funny bumping into you at Powweb! LOL! I still can't see my pics, but I guess if everyone else can, then it's ok.

I appreciate the feed back about my site. Sometimes I look at it and think it's so darn simple and maybe too clean, but then I say naahhh! The gallery pictures are small pictures I'd saved of beads long gone and don't have a large pic to replace it. It also mean a lot more work, each enlarged image has to have it's own page, so I guess I'm also being lazy!

I made the purchase buttons, I found a free button gif, put it into photoshop and added text and resized it. I'm glad you liked those too, I did!

And the gnawing feeling, lolol!! I changed my site probably about a year ago or so and I just never really liked any of them. So far I like this one the best. And I've procrastinated redoing it for a while, but I had some time and just tackled it. Once you start you kind of get on a roll. Besides, my shows are almost done and I needed a place to put up my work until next season!

Thanks Joyce and let us know when you get around to doing your site again (although I think yours is fine, but I know the feeling of wanting a change.

JoyceMI
11-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi Lenda,

I can see that it would be too hard to make the gallery pics viewable larger when you don't have the originals. But when you say that it would be a lot more work to make the enlarged image have it's own page, In your FP program, (which I think is what you are still using) Don't you have something you click on that will automatically make it a thumbnail for you? I use that method when I make my thumnails. I use the original large photo and then click the thumbnail link for it and it makes the thumbnail what ever size I want and automatically links it to the original photo, so I don't have to create an extra page for it, I guess that is what it is doing for you. ..... Does that make sense? LOL

Anyways Even without being able to view them larger your photos are great and clear and still a decent size.

As for you not being able to see your pics on your site, are you just seeing red X's? .... Kind of odd. Is it still something on Powwebs end? Is it only on your site, or other powweb sites too? I remember for the longest time everytime I went to Calmwater Studio's site that I would always get the red x's and could never see a photo of hers. I think she has redone her site though maybe recently, it looks a bit different and now stuff shows up for me. Or maybe she changed hosts. But hers was the only one that that happened with. I remember posting about it a couple times before in her threads. I think it is something screwy on Powwebs end.

.....And If I did redo my site at all it would probably be kind of minor, maybe somehow try it without the border thing going on and maybe a new logo. Otherwise it is not super cluttered like it was at one time. But lately my homepage has been nothing but a front for eBay :rolleyes: I don't know how I got in that habit but it's hard to break! LOL

Joyce, it was so funny bumping into you at Powweb! LOL! I still can't see my pics, but I guess if everyone else can, then it's ok.

I appreciate the feed back about my site. Sometimes I look at it and think it's so darn simple and maybe too clean, but then I say naahhh! The gallery pictures are small pictures I'd saved of beads long gone and don't have a large pic to replace it. It also mean a lot more work, each enlarged image has to have it's own page, so I guess I'm also being lazy!

I made the purchase buttons, I found a free button gif, put it into photoshop and added text and resized it. I'm glad you liked those too, I did!

And the gnawing feeling, lolol!! I changed my site probably about a year ago or so and I just never really liked any of them. So far I like this one the best. And I've procrastinated redoing it for a while, but I had some time and just tackled it. Once you start you kind of get on a roll. Besides, my shows are almost done and I needed a place to put up my work until next season!

Thanks Joyce and let us know when you get around to doing your site again (although I think yours is fine, but I know the feeling of wanting a change.

Lenda
11-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Hi Lenda,

I can see that it would be too hard to make the gallery pics viewable larger when you don't have the originals. But when you say that it would be a lot more work to make the enlarged image have it's own page, In your FP program, (which I think is what you are still using) Don't you have something you click on that will automatically make it a thumbnail for you? I use that method when I make my thumnails. I use the original large photo and then click the thumbnail link for it and it makes the thumbnail what ever size I want and automatically links it to the original photo, so I don't have to create an extra page for it, I guess that is what it is doing for you. ..... Does that make sense? LOL

.....And If I did redo my site at all it would probably be kind of minor, maybe somehow try it without the border thing going on and maybe a new logo. Otherwise it is not super cluttered like it was at one time. But lately my homepage has been nothing but a front for eBay :rolleyes: I don't know how I got in that habit but it's hard to break! LOL
Hi Joyce. I got the viewing picture thing figuired out, or someone one Powweb finally did. Norton makes me not be able to view my pics when it's enabled, if I disable norton, I can see my pics. Don't know why it's started to do that, but at least I can see what others do now!

I don't use the thumbnail thing, because, when you click on the tn, it opens up a page to your original pictures yes, but it's not formatted to look like your site, which for some reason bothers me! :confused: :rolleyes: I want it to have that black background and in order for that to happen, I have to make a new page with all the stuff on it. Just being lazy! lol well, other than not having the original pictures too.

I just love your site, front for Ebay or not. Not sure I'd change a thing actually.:D