PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition Quantity - Advise

Dark_Shades
10-26-2005, 03:32 PM
I have some problems :)

Someone told me the local libraries here quite often hold art exhibitions of local artists, so I checked with mine - never heard anything back until last week, where I received a letter stating that I should submit 3 pieces of work by this Sunday 30th October - the works go before a selection panel which will be judged and the 10 most suitable artists will be given just over a month each to display next year - the charge would be 25% commission on Sales (incl VAT) or a hanging fee of £48.00, which ever is the greater

1. is this good?
2. What sort of quantity would be suitable to show.......
3. £48.00 - would that be no matter how many works displayed?

One BIG Problem now is...... Since my initial enquiry, I only have a possible two or three left that I would consider exhibiting :o - this could be an even bigger problem lol if I should be selected and given January!!!.....

Any advise regarding the above or exhibiting in general, much appreciated

Bringer
10-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Hi Dark Shades,

I can't be of very much help but here's a link that may have something usefull (posted at my October Links)

http://www.artbusiness.com/artists.html

Regards,

Josť

PeggyB
10-26-2005, 05:56 PM
I don't know how well art sells through non traditional venues in your area, but here they aren't so great. Generally speaking in this area, the libraries, banks, office buildings, etc that offer to hang work of local artists are looking more towards decorating their walls than they are selling art. Is this something that you are prepared to hold those paintings off the market otherwise for a month. You'll also have to hold them out of any possible competitions that you might want to enter them into also. The reason for that is because if you enter something into a competition and it gets into the show, but you've committed it elsewhere and it sells then the sponsor of the competition will look very askance at anything you might enter in future shows they sponsor when that work doesn't arrive for this show.

the charge would be 25% commission on Sales (incl VAT) or a hanging fee of £48.00, which ever is the greater

1. is this good?
2. What sort of quantity would be suitable to show.......
3. £48.00 - would that be no matter how many works displayed?

A commission of 25% here would be outstanding since most galleries charge 45% - 50%. However, it appears that no matter what there will be some sort of fee. If you don't sell anything they are going to charge you the £48.00 anyway, and you will be out time and money. At least that is the way I understand what you've written. You should probably clarify it with the library to be sure though.

As for the quality to show, well have you seen the other work that has hung there in the past? That should give you a good clue what they are looking for.

That being said, I believe it is better to be over parpared for a possible exhibit. If you have only 2 or 3 right now, and can't produce the number they want should you be chosen for January, then you will be left with an upset host venue. Maybe you could consider presenting your work next year, and be prepared with the desired number of paintings before submitting to the committee. That will also give you a year to look at what they've chosen and you will have the answer to your question regarding quality of work.

What ever you decide, good luck. If you proceed, I hope your work is chosen.

Peggy

Dark_Shades
10-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Hello Peggy/Bringer

thankyou for taking the time, it is much appreciated ........ I read your comments the other day, and pondered further what to do ........ I finally decided Not to submit any works :)
As I mentioned, I dont have that many now, and infact even fewer than when I posted the question lol .. Just sold a further 3 - so with no current works, and to have to 'make' paintings for an exhibitions doesnt feel right to me, along with the added costs of having to have them professional matted and framed - the conclusion I had to come to was a No

Thank you for helping me come to the decision

PeggyB
10-31-2005, 02:43 PM
Glad we could help. Under the circumstances, I'd have made the same decission.

CONGRATULATIONS on the sales! :clap: Perhaps you don't really need the exposure the library would have given you.
PEggy