PDA

View Full Version : Hippo Takes 1st Place

Mikki Petersen
10-25-2005, 08:50 PM
I've been so busy, I haven't had time for WC lately and I've been missing it. One of my busy things was entering the Sierra Pastel Society Fall 2005 Membership Show. This was my first real competition so I was overjoyed when I received a call from the Society President telling me my painting, "Emmerging" (the Hippo painting) had taken first place in the "other Subjects" category!!!!! I was so excited and babbling so much she had difficulty breaking in to tell me that my painting "Textures" won an honorable mention in Landscapes!!!!!

Here is a very tired me with my painting "Emmerging" :
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2005/14550-Winner!_2.JPG

And here is Textures for anyone who never saw it:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2005/14550-Honorable_mention-landscape.JPG

I was told the Judge exclaimed over the energy of the painting, "Emmerging", and the "excellent control of broad value shifts"...who me???? Many thanks to Deborah, Jackie, Kitty and all the others who have preached values at me for a long time now.

Mikki

khourianya
10-25-2005, 08:52 PM
Congratulations Mikki! I just knew that hippo was wortha ribbon when I first saw it. I'm glad you now have one for it!

PeggyB
10-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Congratulations Mikki. I know several of the Sierra members - it is a strong society so your awards are well earned as I'm sure the competition was stiff. Who was the judge?

Peggy

Mikki Petersen
10-25-2005, 08:57 PM
I also photographed the other 1st place winners thinking they might be of interest to those of you curious about what catches a Judge's eye...

1st Place in Landscapes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2005/14550-1st_place_-_landscape.JPG
Sorry for all those reflections but the show was in an Atrium and the lighting was atrocious!

1st Place (and my personal favorite) Still Life/Floral:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2005/14550-1st_place_-_floraland_stilllife.JPG

1st Place in Miniatures:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2005/14550-1st_Place_Miniature.JPG
It was titled Summer Fruits...

Mikki Petersen
10-25-2005, 09:06 PM
Continuing on...

1st Place Signature (these are entries by Signature Members):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2005/14550-1st_place_-_signature.JPG
Again those darned reflections, which I could not find an angle to eliminate, do not allow you to really see how gorgeous this work is. The colors in the rocks are amazing and even include splotches of electric blue and the waterfall is so powerfully portrayed you can almost hear it roar!

And Best of Show:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2005/14550-Best_of_Show.JPG

There was also a category for portraits but there were only two entries there and I forgot to photo the winner. Kind of a shame too because it was quite striking...a portrait of a young woman with a very cherubic face and her tongue slightly protruding with a gold pierced bead. The style was graphical and almost anime.

In all there were 88 entries and not a poorly done piece in the bunch. What a talented group!

Mikki

Mikki Petersen
10-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Deborah Bache Matlock was the Judge. I feel bad that I didn't write down the artist's names or the names of the paintings so I could post that information. I have been overwhelmed by the recognition and should be more sensitive to recognizing the other winners...

Mikki

Mikki Petersen
10-25-2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks Cori for your enthusiasm! That darned Hippo stole the show at the framers and many, many people came up to talk to me about it when I was sitting the Show. I found out the model has died and am thinking about donating the painting to the Wm. Land Park Zoo in Sacramento.

Mikki

PeggyB
10-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Well done Mikki - thanks for sharing
Peggy

Khadres
10-25-2005, 09:39 PM
I KNEW the hippo was a winner! Good on you! Now, are you gonna become all snooty and drink your tea with a curled pinkie and all that? I DO think this really does mean that you NEED that new studio....PRONTO! Hint, hint, John! :D

M Douglas
10-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Wow how exciting! Congratulations Mikki :clap: Wonderful paintings deserving of the awards and recognition. Donating the painting to the zoo in remembrance would be a very thoughful and sensitive thing to do.

Melodie :cat:

Mikki Petersen
10-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Hey Sooz! Even though I don't post in the Goal Posts anymore, I'm keeping to my goals...I entered two shows this year...well one was the County Fair...and I've begun studying with a pro. Now if I could just sell something... As for the studio, well, we just got the roof on John's workshop and are putting on the siding this week. We still hope to have him nestled in behind his scroll saw before the bad weather sets in.

Melodie, thanks for the nice comments. Entering a competition is a scary thing. Now I have to find a way to keep my expectations down as I enter larger shows.

Mikki

Orchidacea
10-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Mikki--this is fantastic news!!! Congratulations!

I've never seen the hippo before, OMG, no wonder it won!! Mega-clappies to you!

Deborah Secor
10-26-2005, 12:08 AM
:clap: Bravo!! Whoo hoo!!

I'll preach values at you any time... but you keep in mind that YOU did these paintings! Looks like a dandy show, too, very credible work. Thanks for showing us the winners.

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
10-26-2005, 12:21 AM
Wow, love the photos. See, I told you folks would want to hear your good news. I am proud of you!

K Taylor-Green
10-26-2005, 12:25 AM
Huzza Huzza! You deserve every bit of recognition that comes your way! You go, Mikki!!

pjo
10-26-2005, 12:51 AM
Congratulations!!! These both look so wonderful I wish I could see them in real life. I hadn't realized that Hippo was so big. They are very striking, the value lessons have sure taken hold in you. I'm so happy for you, congratulations again.

binkie
10-26-2005, 01:54 AM
Your hippo is gorgeous!!!!

binkie

Mikki Petersen
10-26-2005, 03:48 AM
Thank you so much for sharing my excitement and reminding me I have such a great group supporting my efforts.

I wish everyone could see Textures in person...It's hanging in my studio and has that shimmer about it that only pastels can have. The Hippo is big...but Hippos are...and he just "emmerges" in your face...lol.

I forgot to mention what I learned...

1. It's fun to win but sad to see others' wonderful work not get credit. There were only a very few paintings in the entire show that I would not have called winners.
2. I'm glad I'm not a Judge!
3. It seems that unique was the common denominator in the winning entries.
4. A large room full of artists is a gathering of hugely insecure people.

I'd like to encourage everyone to enter shows. My instructor, Margot Schulzke, insists that entering shows is not about winning, it's about meeting other artists and about getting your name known. Whether you wish to be one who sells art or not, each of us wishes others to see the messages we paint.

Mikki

Terry Wynn
10-26-2005, 06:15 AM
Hi, Mikki, and congratulations. LOVE YOUR PAINTINGS!

Terry

Paula Ford
10-26-2005, 06:25 AM
YIPPY!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! Well deserved Mikki!!

Paula

jackiesimmonds
10-26-2005, 07:47 AM
many congrats!

tURBOCAT
10-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Congratulations!!! How exciting and well deserved. And in company of other very good works which makes it even better. Good for you!!!!

Johnnie

fortysomething
10-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Hello Mikki, I'm new here and I'm tickled to be able to share the excitement. Congratulations!!!

sundiver
10-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Bravo Mikki!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And thanks for showing us the other winners, too; interesting to see.

Nori
10-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Well done Mikki!! Your work certainly deserves this recognition.

*Marina*
10-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Congratulations, Mikki. Love the pictures too. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The Dabbler
10-26-2005, 03:46 PM
HEY MIKKIE!
If I could paint like that, I wouldn't give a hippo's snort what the critics say.
But it's nice to be appreciated ain't it:D

HarvestMoon
10-26-2005, 03:51 PM
Congradulations! That is a WONDERFUL hippo painting!!!

Bringer
10-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi,

Lots of congratulations !!!
Why «Others» category ? Wasn't there an animals category ?
It seems kind of akward.
I hope that this will bring you more «name» into the art world.
If you like wildlife you should take a look at the Wildlife Art mag. .

Regards,

José

CindyW
10-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Mikki, CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I am so very inspired by your showing your work this year and what results!!!
Wonderful news, just great to hear!
Cindy

and thanks for putting a picture of yourself in there. It's nice to see us beyond our avatars sometimes! I may never meet everyone here in person but it sure is a great place to meet and know some new friends and additional pix of us is neat to see. :wave:

Mikki Petersen
10-27-2005, 12:43 AM
Wow! Lot's of friendly faces here to celebrate with me! Thank you so very much!!!!

They did not have an Animal category but animals is mostly what was in the "Other" category. There were two beautiful abstract works in that category also.

"If I could paint like that, I wouldn't give a hippo's snort what the critics say.
But it's nice to be appreciated ain't it"

Yes, it is grand to be appreciated! And I thank you for thinking my work is that good, however, I still have a long way to go!

Mikki

Artistammy
10-27-2005, 10:58 AM
CONGRATULATIONS! And thanks for all the pics too.
Tammy

DLJohnson
10-27-2005, 12:14 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2005/7846-woohoo.gif Way to go! You really deserve it.

Donna

Kathryn Day
10-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Mikki, sorry I missed seeing this. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Well deserved. You do beautiful work. I can only see good things happening with your art in the future.

Trilby
10-29-2005, 04:11 AM
BRAVO:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

CONGRATULATIONS
wOOHOO!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
this is absolutely no surprise. I knew when I saw this in progress in your studio that you had a show stopper; my gosh Lady this is such a teriffic stunner of a piece.
I am sad to learn of the model's death, however. What a wonderful tribute to contribute it to his home.
I loved textures, as you know. It's one of those I wish I had accepted from you.
Thankyou for sharing the rest of the show with us too.
You have such a future ahead in art, have had for a while, I would say.
I am so happy for you and proud of you.
TJ

Mikki Petersen
10-29-2005, 05:29 AM
Katy, thanks for finding the thread and commenting. I appreciate your support.

TJ, I thought of you when I found out this won an award since you were there during it's creation. I have Textures framed and hanging in my studio now. It has gone from being a piece I didn't care for to one of my favorites. When the light is on it, it simply glows...don't know how that happened, lol!

Mikki

scall0way
10-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Well done Mikki! Congratulations indeed! The hippo is fabulous, and the Textures *does* glow. I agree it would be awfully hard to be a judge, so many wonderful and deserving artists out there. How nice to know that your paintings had that extra "something" that caught the judge's eye. Well deserved!

Mikki Petersen
10-30-2005, 02:03 AM
Yes, Debbie, the quality of the competition does make the success even sweeter! Thanks for taking time to comment.

Mikki