PDA

View Full Version : Blending on Wallis Paper

idahogirl
10-25-2005, 12:04 PM
I learned the hard way that blending skies with your finger doesn't work out so well.... and.... it hurts :D :D I wear gloves while painting and trying to blend with the gloves on doesn't work so well either... the pastel tends to lift off instead of blend. Any ideas????

:wave:

Dee

khourianya
10-25-2005, 12:10 PM
I bought a large 1 inch colourshaper for this purpose. It works great for creating highly reflective water as well...

K Taylor-Green
10-25-2005, 12:43 PM
I guess I'm the odd one. I finger blend, with no ill effects. But I don't paint huge pieces.
Maybe I just have tough skin!!

cherylleclairsommer
10-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Try Viva brand paper towels (Bounty doesn't work as well) for blending. I also blend, on occasion, with my fingers but haven't had the problem with loss of outer skin layers. Some artists use those styrofoam "peanuts" that are used for packing.

Cheryl

Nori
10-25-2005, 04:15 PM
I also use my finger for smallish areas. Different tools give different effects. Viva takes a lot of pastel off and leaves a translucent layer of color (very pretty). Color shapers can move one color into another which might not be what you want but they are super for pulling a bit of the top layer off (like Impasto ???) I use this to help with water. Packing peanuts are pretty good blenders and work well in tight spots.

Something I learned: Blood can never, ever be covered up on Wallis short of putting acrylic paint over it. I had to add a flock of birds to the top of one of my paintings because I bled on the sky. But as an unrepentant finger blender I still blend with my fingers, just ever so carefully.

CM Neidhofer
10-25-2005, 04:17 PM
I have found I can finger blend usually after the third layer of pastel. No problems so far.

Christine

M Douglas
10-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Hmmmm blending with my fingers doesn't seem to bother them at all. :confused: Maybe i'm not doing it right. :o

Melodie :cat:

Deborah Secor
10-25-2005, 06:07 PM
I blend skies on Wallis paper a bit, but I build up a creamy pillow of pastel first (like Christine), then sparingly blend, making sure not to do it for long. Nothing works like your fingers, and I can always find them! I do use the 'heel' of the palm of my hand to blend bigger areas, and also alternate fingers, using pinky or ring finger for delicate touches in small areas. Wallis is SHARP and bleeding in pastels is not a healthy thing to do, so I recommend lotsa layers, a lighter touch, and a shorter work span. Nothing works like Wallis, however, so I won't be giving it up soon either.

Deborah

idahogirl
10-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Thank you all for your helpful suggstions.... good to know that acrylic and/or birds will cover blood stains on Wallis :D :D :D Apparently I have a heavy hand and almost wore the skin off my blending finger... Wallis RULES!

:wave:

Dee

MarshaSavage
10-26-2005, 09:02 AM
I use my finger too -- only sparingly! If I have a large area of sky, or maybe sand on a beach, I'll also use the packing peanut -- they work wonderfully. But . . . since you don't like gloves, have you tried a "finger cot"? They work much better than a glove. You get them at a drug store usually. Good luck!

tking
10-26-2005, 09:41 AM
I've been using pieces of pipe insulation, the stuff for copper pipes. Very cheap at a hardware store. After layers are built up, I use my fingers.

MChesleyJohnson
10-26-2005, 07:14 PM
A foam brush -- such as house painters use for painting trim -- works well if LIGHTLY applied. It will also take off a certain amount of pastel. But then, you DO want to put some unblended strokes on top of the blended ones, don't you? ;)

I rarely blend on Wallis paper. And when I do, it's in the later stages just to soften an edge.

chookbrown
10-27-2005, 05:37 PM
this is what a couple of weeks of blending with fingers on large pieces looks like.... :D:D When I went for my citizenship last year I had to wait a couple of weeks for my fingerprints to grow back so I could be fingerprinted...LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2005/9218-bandaids.jpg
And I've found you can blend wonderfully with the bandaids... so I sometimes put them on first... I hadn't tried blending with the heel of my hand Dee so thanks!!

I have used the insulation foam, but am using a soft piece of chamois now for larger areas and also tend to fill up with excess pastel before attempting to blend.

I do find the Art Spectrum to not be quite so savage as the Wallis but I do prefer the heavier Wallis overall.

good luck!

Colleen :D:D

idahogirl
10-27-2005, 06:14 PM
this is what a couple of weeks of blending with fingers on large pieces looks like.... :D:D When I went for my citizenship last year I had to wait a couple of weeks for my fingerprints to grow back so I could be fingerprinted...LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2005/9218-bandaids.jpg

LOL -- that's pretty much what my fingers looked like :D

:cat:

Dee

HarvestMoon
10-28-2005, 03:46 PM
I bought a bunch of finger 'cots' cheaply at dickblicks- and used to use them a lot, now i am more used to using just my finger..... but they are much more comfy than a glove- just cover part of your finger....hmmm, blood on wallis might give my rocks a really nice reddish brown tint!!!

MChesleyJohnson
10-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Colorful fingertips Dee! ;)

Artaholic
10-29-2005, 01:19 AM
I have a lot of leather scraps around so decided to try them . It is soft and flexible and cut into strips about 1" wide and 2/12 inches long the smooth side blends very nicely and the rough side erases to a certain extent :)