PDA

View Full Version : Help with colors again

rajneet
10-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Hi everyone

Thank you very much for helping me through my pumpkin painting.
You all have been really kind to this beginner.Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.

I am planning to paint this beautiful still life photo this week and I will be really grateful to you all if you could again guide me, what all paints to use.This beautiful photo was posted by noreenemc.Thanks noreenemc.

Thank you so much friends.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2005/54389-Nectarine_noreenemc.jpeg

rcollege
10-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Nice still life,
I would use Indian Yellow, Prussian Blue, burnt umber and Quin Red and possibly raw sienna.

laudesan
10-25-2005, 03:06 AM
This is a gorgeous phot..

What colours do you have?? What brands are you using??

Different brands have different colour names..

I suggest you get a scrap piece of paper, get your reds and yellows out, and have a practice..

Try to match the colours in the photo.

You will learn much better, and far quicker, if you have a play with your paints and paint a colour chart with all your paints so you know just what colours you have and how they look on paper.. :)

I have my colour chart on my painting table when I am painting..

When I made mine, I painted swatch full strength at the top aloowing it to become weaker at the bottom of the strip. This was i can tell at a glance what the colour looks like full strength and washy.
Also another good thing to do is draw a black line on your watercolour paper and paint your colours over top of it. This wasy you will see that the colours that sit on the top of the back line are opaque and the others are trasparent.

Hope this helps..:)

jaytee
10-25-2005, 04:59 PM
You have good advice from JJ........... there are all sorts of combinations I might try to produce these colours.........and Im afraid I'm not patient enough to go the 'sample strip' route.............. I just experiment, and it either works or it doesnt.......... but a bit like cooking........ there's nothing worse than coming up with a wonderful dish andnot remebering how you made it, so I dont recommend my slap happy way of doing things :) On the other hand sometimes experimenting can teach you a great deal. The main thing to remember is not to mix 3 primary colours either in your pallette or on the paper or you will get varieties of mud ;) and let your washes dry thoroughly before adding more colour. Good Luck .

painterbear
10-27-2005, 07:21 AM
Hi Rajneet,

Welcome to the Watercolor Forum and the wonderful medium of watercolor.

As a beginner, I know you are eager to make paintings and you've selected a really beautiful refrence photo to paint with luscious colors and shapes.

You would do yourself a really big favor though, if you spent a little bit of time getting familiar with your paints by making yourself a color chart. That way you can just put your chart up next to your reference and see which paints are the ones you need. A while ago I made one for myself and I use it all the time. You can see mine and read how I did it here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254757) if you like. I actually made a second one after I posted that thread because I got even more paints and wanted to use the same paper I use in my paintings in the chart. :)

Good luck with your peaches and pomegranate!

Sylvia

rajneet
11-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Thank you so much to all of u. :) :)

Learning so much from you all.