PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea Cairn Terrier WIP

binks
10-24-2005, 06:02 AM
I have wanted to paint my brothers much loved little Cairn for some time, and finally received a photo that I felt I could do something with.
I have worked on the face for a week now and still cannot capture the cheeky expression that's in the photo.
If you can see what is wrong please tell me.
I will post updates as this improves!
Its painted on Arches rough and is 11.5" by 6.5"
Looking forward to the help of the Wet Canvas community!
Thanks.
Here is the ref pic:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2005/24459-Chelsea_photo.jpg
And here is my attempt so far:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2005/24459-Chelsea_1.jpg

laudesan
10-24-2005, 06:42 AM
Gosh I love your grass!!!!!!!!!!! What a cute little face he has..

Pulling up a chair here, I love pets..:)

jaytee
10-25-2005, 03:15 AM
Lovely start...........

looking very hard at the two faces and thinking about my terriers.....

look at the depth of the nose in the photo and the closeness of the bottom of it to the top of the lip ........... there's hardly any gap........ compare with your painting

Also take another lok at the eye on the left as we look ....... its hard to see here but I would expect it to be a Tad rounder in the painting... more like the one on the right as we look :)

Hope that helps with the likeness :)

binks
10-25-2005, 05:40 AM
Hi Laudesan
Thanks for your comments. The grass was made by first putting on a wet wash of ultramarine and a green (can't remember which one) Once the sheen was off but still wet, I sprinkled salt in lines across the painting (I had masked out the dog). I let the salt absorb the paint till I got the affect I wanted then dried the painting and brushed of the salt. I then put some yellow at the front to bring it forward
Hi Jaytree
How observant you are. I had come to the same conclusions and have made some alterations accordingly. I will post an update soon.
Thanks both

binks
10-27-2005, 06:03 AM
Hi folks
I have now worked and worked and worked on Chelsea's face and although I haven't got the expression right, I think I've got a likeness.
The colours for the greys I have used are Indigo and Burnt Umber. Never used Indigo before but love it. It doesn't seem to go hard out of the tube like French Ultramarine does.
For the brown colours in the dog I used Burnt Sienna and Alazirin Crimson.
Just got the body and legs and tail to do.
comments and criticisms welcomed please.
Here it is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2005/24459-Chelsea_2.jpg

painterbear
10-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Hi Gill,

Your changes made a crucial difference. I had noticed the same thing Jaytee did about the left eye but she beat me to it. LOL!

Your grass definitely looks great. The dog is coming alive now. Way to go.

Sylvia

jaytee
10-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Gill........ 200% improvement........... she is now DEFINITELY a cairn :) Onwards and upwards :)

CharM
10-27-2005, 09:34 AM
I need to spend more time in the Studio... I nearly missed this, Gill... Your changes have made a DEFINITE improvement... the likeness is there...

binks
10-28-2005, 06:56 AM
Hi
Thanks Sylvia for your comments - I have altered both eyes about a zillion times and the nose and mouth.
Hi again Jaytee - thanks for the encouragement and your earlier advice.
Char trust you are well - Thanks for your comments. I have found this quite difficult. Its finished now but has taken me a long time to paint.
Anyway here is the finished product.
Thankyou to all who have commented
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2005/24459-Chelsea_finished.jpg
Chelsea - finished!

laudesan
10-28-2005, 08:01 AM
This has finisshed beautifully..:) He is a real cutie..

painterbear
10-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Wonderful finish, Gill.

Sylvia

binks
10-29-2005, 06:10 AM
Thanks Laudesan and Sylvia

wayfarer
10-29-2005, 09:11 AM
What a cutie! The expression is spot on! :clap: :clap:

Chris

binks