PDA

View Full Version : Stretched Canvas Problem

tucker
01-21-2002, 03:04 PM
This is my first posting, and I'm here for help. I need advice about how to fix a completed oil painting on a stretched linen canvas (48 x 48) that has a crease in it. Before I started the painting, I tried re-stretching it with pliers but the fold marks are still there. Any suggestions? Would it work to drench the painting, after it is dry, in very hot water?

Thank you for your help.

Wayne Gaudon
01-21-2002, 03:12 PM
not sure how bad yours is but I have had luck soaking the back of the canvas with water and then the canvas will tighten when it dries .. again, I only tried this on dry acrylic paintings.

paintfool
01-21-2002, 07:05 PM
I don't think that very hot water is a good idea. I have sprayed the backs of canvases with cold water and had much success with removing warped areas. The canvas contracts as it dries and should help if it's not too severley creased. If that doesn't help i don't know what else to suggest but hopefully someone else will. But i'd stay away from VERY hot water.
Cheryl

Wayne Gaudon
01-21-2002, 07:52 PM
I didn't note the fact you referred to hot water .. I would'nt try that either .. Guess that's why Paintfool moderates..

Good Eyes!

gnomes99
01-21-2002, 10:17 PM
I had a crease in an oil painting just before an exhibition and used a mixture of aquadhere (pva glue) and water. This fixed the problem as soon as the mixture dried.

tucker
01-21-2002, 10:30 PM
Did you apply this to the back of the canvas?

paintfool
01-22-2002, 04:06 AM
I think i can answer for gnomes. I'm sure it was applied to the back of the canvas. Anything that is used for this purpose will be applied to the back. There are products sold in most supply catalogs to be used for this as well. Never tried any of them though.
Cheryl