PDA

View Full Version : Project Discussion: Still Life Painting - Pastels

Pages : [1] 2

Kathryn Wilson
10-21-2005, 09:25 AM
A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: Still Live Painting - Pastels
Project Leader: kyle
Relative Difficulty: Medium
Type Restrictions: Painting
Medium: Pastels
Subject: Still Life
Days open for signups: Always
Maximum participants allowed: Unlimited

Description:

THIS PROJECT IS FOR SOFT PASTELS AND OIL PASTELS ONLY.

Many artists feel challenged when faced with setting up a still life and then going on to produce a finished painting. In this Project, we will face that challenge and conquer it!

We will be doing three phases of work in this Project:

(1) Choosing our items carefully and describing why we are putting these objects together, then photographing them as just as a group, but not set up. e.g. I want to do a theme on a tea party, so I will chose a teapot, a pretty cup, the tablecloth, a flower, etc. Then gather your items together and shoot a photograph making sure each item is in clear view, but in no particular set up.

(2) Doing more than one (recommending at least 2 if not more) set ups and photographing them so that they can be critiqued by others in the Project group. After you decide on which arrangement you want to paint, you will have a clear idea of the best composition, lighting, etc. The set up will include any of the objects you chose in (1), lighting, background, etc.

(3) The actual painting of the still life, hopefully with progressive photos. The painting will be from life, not your photograph, unless you are using fruits, veggies or flowers that perish along the way.

This can be as short or as long a Project as it needs to be for you. The learning curve may be steep for some, or a walk-in-the park for others the key to the success of this Project will be help for everyone from other members who are participating.

When you post your photographs, please place them in the Progress part of the Project system. You will only post your finished painting in the Final so that we can have a mini show of all finished paintings at the end.

The reference link shows how a light box can be put together it is an excellent article written by a WC member with lots of how-to photos.

We are not going to post any reference photos, other than the Project icon, in order to encourage you to think this through from beginning to end on your own.

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=956)

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get "pushed down" by a swarm of project-related threads.

khourianya
10-21-2005, 09:33 AM
yay - I'm really excited about this project. I should be ready to get my next still life together sometime over the weekend!

Thanks for hosting Kat!!

Kathryn Wilson
10-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Not only am I hosting, I am going to be painting right along with you guys. This is definitely NOT in my comfort zone - I have a show coming up in January that I will need two paintings for and the theme is food.

khourianya
10-21-2005, 09:47 AM
ohh should be fun. I'm trying to decide if I want to do a nice, traditional tea party theme (I have a whole bunch of exquisite china tea cups that I inherited from my great gran) or if I'd like to go more eclectic like my pastels still life I did last year....

Either way - it will certainly be alot of fun!

Kathryn Wilson
10-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Cori, there is no reason why you can't do both. I foresee this is an ongoing project that hopefully will last quite a long time as people join and finish up.

Hopefully, those folks that are more experienced than moi will join us in discussing this project. Diana? Julie? And anyone else who would like to lend a hand.

CM Neidhofer
10-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Wow...great idea! I like the steps involved. Great way to get lots of input!

Christine

Kathryn Wilson
10-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Hey Christine - good to see you signed up!

I've been thinking on this Project for quite a while - what were problems for me in doing still lifes and how to go about solving composition, lighting and all the set up questions I had. I've only done 2-3 still lifes ever - and two of them were from photos. The Project icon is mine and that was done in oil pastels and not done from life, so this will be a challenge for me also. We'll all be learning together - :)

khourianya
10-21-2005, 11:01 AM
I actually just read a neat way to think about composition - maybe I will write something up to post in this thread to summarize this unique method that I read about.

Candle
10-21-2005, 11:45 AM
I really like this project idea, and want to participate. I live in a remote area which makes direct communication with other artists challenging. I am so looking forward to having other people's input and ideas! Hopefully I can get my photos done this weekend. :)

CM Neidhofer
10-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Hi Candle. Whereabouts in Colorado? I'm in Englewood.

Christine

Trilby
10-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Glad to see this on the boards, Kat. As we discussed, I'll chime in when I can. I look forward to participating too and to seeing what everyone does. I am unclear where we will post our photos. Will that be here?
cori, I would like to read about the compostion technique, please do post it.
TJ

Kathryn Wilson
10-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Hi TJ - glad you will be on board with some help!

When you go to the Project description to sign up, there is a place for Progress uploads in those links. It will go to a sort of gallery with everyone's photos and then when you want to comment on pictures, that's where you do it too.

CM Neidhofer
10-21-2005, 01:38 PM
What if we have more than one idea for a still life? Should we take a set of pics for each idea and get some input as to whether one or the other works better? Does that make sense?? lol

Kathryn Wilson
10-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Sure does Christy - that's step #1 - gather your items together for both and take photos, upload and we can all comment on what looks best, or how either one could be made better.

ColorMyWorld
10-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Kat, I like the steps you've put into this project. I've signed up but will be a bit before I can get started. (several Holloween costumes to make first!)

CM Neidhofer
10-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Got it!! Thanks! :D

Kathryn Wilson
10-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Kat, I like the steps you've put into this project. I've signed up but will be a bit before I can get started. (several Holloween costumes to make first!)

Take your time, there is no big rush for this project - I really would like for everyone to really think through things for this project rather than quickly do a painting.

It's taken me a month to think about what I want for my food theme and then gather the objects I want to paint. What shapes, what colors, the lighting I want to use. I have my box that I am going to make into a light box (for lack of a better term). Now, I am not suggesting that everyone use one of these - it is just an option.

Kathryn Wilson
10-21-2005, 06:34 PM
I see from our entries that we are going to have a good mix of soft pastels and oil pastels - that is exciting!

Have any of you used a turntable to set up your still life paintings? I think I will give it a go - it sounded like a good idea to be able to turn your objects to get the maximum amount of light wherever you wanted it, but I doubt I will leave them on the turntable.

BeckyMc
10-21-2005, 08:03 PM
This will be my first still life, other than some eggs from a reference photo. I'm searching all over the house for some interesting stuff, but it looks like all my interesting stuff is about the same size... :eek: I do have some turntables, though. My late mother-in-law loved "lazy susan's" and I have several. Once I find enough interesting stuff I can put it on the turntables and spin them around. ;)

Kathryn Wilson
10-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Becky - it might be a good idea to think of a theme for your painting, even things you like to paint can be put together. Go to your local thrift store - might be something fun and inexpensive sitting on those shelves. Think size, shape, texture, color.

To get some inspiration, go to Bringer's links and see what other pastelists are doing for still life objects.

BeckyMc
10-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks - I'll check those links out - what about the Still Life forum here on WC? Would they have any ideas?

Kathryn Wilson
10-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Sure, go check them out. I always get inspired when I look at paintings - gives me great ideas on how to put things together.

scall0way
10-21-2005, 09:00 PM
ooh, I'm so excited. I've been waiting for this project. I've really been ejoying still lifes lately, but the recent one have all been from the RIL. I have such boring stuff around the house, LOL. I guess I will have to think of a "theme". Gosh, this is tough. I want to avoid perishable stuff, and they have been my favorite things lately.

BeckyMc
10-21-2005, 09:33 PM
We eat all of our perishable stuff :o - I can't use anything that hubby or I could eat or drink!

Trilby
10-21-2005, 11:20 PM
LOL Becky, won't do for the setup to be devoured. I have a couple of subjects in mind, the one is easy to gather for--some native American and Mexican Indian stuff I have. My problem will be lighting them and leaving them set up. Will anyone else have this as a problem? Bringer finds such interesting sites, so his reference links should be useful. think of a theme that has meaning for you and objects that will support it. I have a vintage cookie jar shaped like a monk that has special sentiment for me since it's always been there from childhood and became mine after Mom passed away. I still have to think what to put with it, whether cookie ingredients or other china ware. Everything so far is scaled wrong and looks dumb.
Kat, I'm glad we are to take our time with this and give it some thought.
TJ

khourianya
10-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Okay - it took me a while to find the book that I saw this composition exercise in. It is a library book so I am happy I still had it! The book is called "The Simple Secret to Better Painting" by Greg Albert and is put out by North Light Books. This exercise is on pages 82-84.

The author calls this a Still Life Composition Laboratory. and lets you play with different combinations of objects without worrying about breaking that heirloom teacup you want to paint. Instead, you work with paper shapes of your chosen objects and work out compositional placement this way to find the most appealing arrangement.

I am not going to scan his photos, but rather show you all with my own photos (just a little thing called copyright and I don't want to infringe so am paraphrasing and using my own words and images to describe his technique). Please keep in mind that the sample photos I have included were put together really quickly o may not actually demonstrate good composition, but are meant to rather show the possibilities this technique offers.

Materials

* Assorted light and dark coloured papers
* pencil
* scissors

Step One

Using different coloured papers, draw out simple shapes to represent your chosen objects. You might find it most helpful to use papers in similar colours to the objects you have. Try to draw them in sizes proportional to the actual objects so it will give you a good idea of how the items will look in the still life set up when placed next to each other.

Cut each of these shapes out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2005/47843-step1.jpg

Step Two

On a flat working surface, lay two pieces of paper. One piece will represent the table where you would arrange your objects and the other will represent the background. This allows you to work out whether you prefer a light foreground/dark background or vice versa.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2005/47843-step2.jpg

Step Three

Place your objects on the foreground paper. Move them around to find the placement that best appeals to you. Try adding and removing pieces. You will find that certain layouts appeal to you more than others.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2005/47843-step3.jpg

Cori's idea: You could even go a step further and play with these placements in photoshop by creating different shapes on separate layers and playing with them that way. This isn't mentioned in the book, but from my image below, you can see how this would work.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2005/47843-photoshop_stage.jpg

Some of the placements that the author says are boring are:

* Diagonal division - where the objects visually divide the space diagonally
* Paralleling the frame - placing objects so they follow the edge of the paper
* Symmetrical triangle - piling objects in such a way that they form a equilateral triangle
* Equal spacing - placing objects equal distances apart
* Lack of depth - no overlap of objects
* In a row - placing objects directly above one another

It is about finding dynamic balance. making it interesting by shifting the center of gravity off centre and creating tension.

Hopefully this provides a helpful way for some of you to play with different compositions. It might not work for everyone, but I know I plan to try it out with mine when the time comes.

blobs and scribbles
10-22-2005, 05:03 AM
I'm so excited about this project! The single steps will be so instructive (or would educational be the correct word? :o ) I'm sure I will learn loads from doing it, from the discussions and from seeing what everybody else will be doing. So thanks a lot for putting this together, Kat!

I'm rather new to pastels and arts in general. So I might actually use this project to de-lurk properly. :wave: After all, the first step - posting photos - doesn't seem that tough for a first post :wink2: And then, well... in German we have a proverb: "Wer A sagt, muss auch B sagen" (literally: Who says "A" must say "B" as well.) :cat:

Cory,
thanks a lot for posting that exercise! Looks very useful to me. Would you mind telling us a little more about that book in general? Sounds quite interesting.

Kathryn Wilson
10-22-2005, 07:18 AM
Fantastic Cori! This will be so helpful to many, many people doing this project. A HUGE pat on the back for this one.

A big welcome to Debbie and Birte - and all the other Project members who have signed up. TJ so glad you are here - I'll need all the help I can get from you too.

khourianya
10-22-2005, 11:32 AM
thanks a lot for posting that exercise! Looks very useful to me. Would you mind telling us a little more about that book in general? Sounds quite interesting.
The book is entirely about composition. I can remember flipping through it in a bookshop once and thinking "Nah - this isn't for me" and then I saw it in the library one day and it struck a chord so i checked it out. It's hard to describeit really in depth because any book description would do a better job. It is available through North Light Book Club (as well as most book sellers) Here is the descripion North Light has:
http://northlightbookclub.com/catalog/product.cfm?category=59&product_id=320972&rl=y

I'm glad you guys find it helpful. Once I have my items figured out, I'll be playing with this technique. I'll be sure to post my pictures.

CM Neidhofer
10-22-2005, 11:57 AM
I have what might seem like a really stupid question, but I'll ask anyway, because I don't know!! :rolleyes: Do any of you use anything in particular for a backdrop for painting a still life? Like a certain type of fabric, or a certain color that works better than another, regardless of what color it ends up being in the painting? Is there a "standard" something or other for a backdrop? Or does it range from fabric, to a curtain, to a tablecloth, a towel...whatever??? Ok, more than one question....:p Just wondering....:confused:

Of course, considering one uses any type of backdrop. Should've said that in the first place.

Christine

khourianya
10-22-2005, 12:01 PM
THAT is such a good question. I usually gravitate towards more solid backgrounds when I attempt a still life - just because I am never sure and want to err on the side of caution instead of rendering material folds! :)

This time I plan to attempt fabric (scary thought :eek: ).

I think the steps in this project will be good at opening our eyes to alot of different things because we might not be aware of houw our choices affect the painting as a whole. I think it owuld be great if we could get some people over from the Still Life forum to help us see how our setups are going to work out. Maybe I'll post a link over there...

***Edited to add: There - link posted. I invited them to come by and provide us with feedback as we work through the steps. It would be great if we had the same kind of involvement from the Still Life experts as we had from the abstract people for the abstracts project a while back ***

Kathryn Wilson
10-22-2005, 12:26 PM
Hi Christy - I think the backdrop is going to depend on the other items you choose - it should be more of an enhancement than one of focal point - unless it is about the cloth texture or pattern. Very good question and one I've struggled with.

Kathryn Wilson
10-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50759

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59858/tn_still_life_005.jpg

:clap: :clap: :clap: Shells, you are the first to post your set-ups! I think your items are good selections, although I'd like to see some breathing space between them.

Kathryn Wilson
10-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50760

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59858/tn_still_life_018.jpg

I rather like this one too - very simple and good lighting. You can always do two or more in the Project, but starting simple might be a good way to go.

khourianya
10-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50759

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59858/tn_still_life_005.jpg

I like the collection of objects, but witht he bottle being dead centre, I am not fond of the actual set up. Perhaps if you move the bottle slightly off centre, use it like a vase for those Gerberas and arrange the fruit around it would look nice. Just a thought.

I do like the complimentary colours, though. I did that recently with Ornage and blue (still working on it actually).

khourianya
10-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50760

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59858/tn_still_life_018.jpg

Ohhh - I really like this one. It has such great possibilities for shadow play.

Kathryn Wilson
10-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Okay, I've uploaded 4 images of items I've gathered. Not in any order and not all of the items will be included - I may have to really re-think this, sigh.

For those of you who have not participated in a Project before, in order to see my uploaded entries and to comment, you have to go to the main Project page where you first signed up and look for Progress Images. Once there, you will see a gallery, click on the images you want to see larger, or comment on.

Edit: hmmmm, seems to be a problem uploading images today.

khourianya
10-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50762

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/14941/tn_project-1.jpg

It seems to just be having trouble generating thumbnails..the large images are fine...

This is a great assortment of items, kat. I wonder about the size of the sealer jars being the exact same. Would it be better if they were varied sizes to create interest... or perhaps throwing in a third sealer jar of a different size?

Just a thought.

khourianya
10-22-2005, 01:59 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50763

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/14941/tn_project-2.jpg

I love the assortment of different bottles. They alls eem really close tot eh same colour, though I guess, depending on the background you choose and the lighting, each could sparkle in a different colour...

Kathryn Wilson
10-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Yeah, now that I see them altogether, I need to re-think sizes and shapes. I was going to pick and choose amongst all these items, so no biggie to change my mind again. After all, that's a woman's prerogative, ain't it - :)

CM Neidhofer
10-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Oh my gosh.....so many ideas floating around in my wittle brain!! lol But I'm kind of on hold for the next week. My son is arriving tomorrow morning from Florida for a week's visit. Hmmm...let's see....think about project...visit with son....think....visit....awwww....:p :wink2: :angel: LOL

Christine

khourianya
10-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50764

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/14941/tn_project-3.jpg

I really like this assortment of jars. Probably enough to retract my comment about differing sizes of sealer jars...

Kathryn Wilson
10-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50768

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/9218/tn_chopstix2b350px.jpg

I love how dramatic all of your set-ups are, but I like the last one best. The photos are quite dark, so they are hard to see - could you post a lighter one of the last one?

blobs and scribbles
10-22-2005, 06:24 PM

I really like the simplicity of this one! The only thing that would worry me a bit is the fact that the values of the plate and the red apple are almost the same.

blobs and scribbles
10-22-2005, 06:40 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50767

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/9218/tn_chopstix3sml.jpg

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50768

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/9218/tn_chopstix2b350px.jpg

I prefer the second composition not only because it is less centralized but also because to me it seems more realistic. I mean, the chopsticks make very clear that someone is going to use your objects to eat and drink from. So it I would wonder why they should put a flower into the cup. :o

But... on the other hand the flower makes such a nice contrast to the red cup in the first one.

I love how the reds of the background and the cup correspond!

blobs and scribbles
10-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50769

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/14941/tn_project-1.jpg

I'm not sure whether this is already supposed to be a composition or whether it just shows what items you are going to use, but I quite like it! :D Because there are so many objects in this one I could imagine them being presented in the place where they usually live... a shelf or something... seems to me a more natural place for this arrangement than a table. Do you know what I mean? :o

blobs and scribbles
10-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50771

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/14941/tn_project-3.jpg

I like this one too. I just find the chillie a bit too centralized.

Kathryn Wilson
10-22-2005, 07:22 PM
Hi Brite - this is just step one in the Project - gathering objects around a theme, although I will keep in mind the things you commented on. After seeing the dramatic lighting of the other entries, I'm not sure I am going to be happy with these at all. But food is food and I think it is a difficult subject - I'd much rather be painting flowers or china pitchers! Gotta come up with something unique!

michellej
10-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Hi

I'm interested in joining in since I am NOT a still-life person. I just want to know how the virtual part works.:confused:

BeckyMc
10-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50771

I really like these objects, but I think I'd go with 3 peppers, instead of just one. I don't know about a white backdrop either, but then I'm quite the novice on this!

BeckyMc
10-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50769

I really like these objects too - If you're really supposed to zero in on the food, maybe you could focus on the jar of peppers and the live peppers and fade the others into to the background or something. Again, these are random thoughts. :rolleyes:

BeckyMc
10-22-2005, 09:56 PM

I like your objects and colors, maybe a lighter stronger light and move the flowers a little away from the apples. Also maybe don't squish the apples so close together. Like I know what I'm talking about! You're brave to take on this many objects for a first still life!

Kathryn Wilson
10-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi

I'm interested in joining in since I am NOT a still-life person. I just want to know how the virtual part works.:confused:

Hi Michelle - what do you need to know? I can help.

Kathryn Wilson
10-22-2005, 10:19 PM

I really like these objects, but I think I'd go with 3 peppers, instead of just one. I don't know about a white backdrop either, but then I'm quite the novice on this!

Hi Becky - my next step is to pick the objects that I want to use out of all the ones I photographed, but them on the turntable and into the light box. We'll see then what it looks like - :D

Trilby
10-23-2005, 12:11 AM
LOL I turn my back once to take care of life, and the pages here fill up. How grand. That means there is a lot of good energy going on here.
So I'm off to the project page to learn how to drive it, then I guess I had better get busy photographing objects I have ideas for. I don't guarantee getting any paintings done during this project as many irons in the fire are heating up, but if I at least nail the setups I'll accomplish something.
I'll be back.
PS Cori, thanks for the thing on compositions, great concept. I have a friend who teaches art and she uses cut and paste to develop comps all the time, also to help new artists to learn to see shapes instead of objects..
TJ

Trilby
10-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50770

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/14941/tn_project-2.jpg
Kat, I think these would make into an interesting study of glass. I like the play of the green in the designs on the pitcher and painted bottle. I like the contrast of the blue with the green and yelow. I would be concerned with all the vertical linear lines, but think if one of the bottles was on it's side in the composition decided on it could be interesting. A nice purply background would set off all these colors. Strong sidelighting casting horizontal shadows would set up a beautiful tension with the vertical elements. Lots of possibility here.

Trilby
10-23-2005, 12:30 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=50771

I like the play on reds here, but again think there may not be enough variety of shape.
TJ

Trilby
10-23-2005, 12:34 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=50769

I like the mixture of elements here and the contrast of pale green glass with red food stuffs. I think something really interesting can be arranged with some of these elements (or all of them), but oh my, what a challenge to take on with all that glass, metal and cloth not to mention varying degrees of translucency.
TJ

Trilby
10-23-2005, 12:37 AM
OK, I'm not sure I'm driving this thing right, as it seems awkward to have to keep returning to comment on several entries and doing it with multiple replies.
I have to shut down soon for the night as I have an early day tomorrow -- going off roading with the Jeep club to get lots of gorgeus reference shots in the mountains. I'll be back tomorrow to comment more.
Happy set ups.
TJ

shells
10-23-2005, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the cues. I'll loosen the arrangement up a bit. I think I'll work on both the arangements and post both. As it is i started a practise run by doing just the bottle. So here's hoping I can handle it. In fact setting this up has been a very good experience. (I have been hesitating doing it for ever so long, for fear of not being able to!) Its loosened something up in my head as well and I have a whole lot of ideas for more objects and more still life. So, thanks Kyle for starting this project.

Pat Isaac
10-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50770

You certainly are putting together some hard stuff. All that glass! :eek:
Pat

Pat Isaac
10-23-2005, 09:59 AM

This works and the colors are very dark and rich. I know what you mean by working with a preordained size. But, sometimes you gotta. Would love to see the whole series.

Pat

Pat Isaac
10-23-2005, 10:05 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50794

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59858/tn_still_life_026.jpg

It might be good to vary the position of the flowers next time so that they aren't in a row or straight line. The green bottle is looking good.

Pat

Pat Isaac
10-23-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm really excited about this project, but it will be awhile before I can get started as I have a portrait to finish and then Open Studios, and then I'll be on board.
Pat

shells
10-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks Patricia,
Actually the flowers do face away from each other slightly. I'm afraid, i did'nt quite get the angle right. Also i'm having problems with the individual petals. So I;m waiting for the layer to dry before i try to delianate them some more. But I have bitten off more than I can chew (new medium, new style ...!!) So I am going to do one with hibiscus instead. The bottle looks really nice eh? :D :)

JerseyJoker
10-23-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm new here and am not sure if I need to upload my pictures in the discussion forum to get feedback on them. I already put them in the progress section. By the way, I needed something like this challenge to get me working, so thanks for the opportunity!
Joan

Pat Isaac
10-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50799

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59081/tn_stilllife002.jpg

Nice collection of objects. I actually like the lower vantage point best.

PAt

Kathryn Wilson
10-23-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm new here and am not sure if I need to upload my pictures in the discussion forum to get feedback on them. I already put them in the progress section. By the way, I needed something like this challenge to get me working, so thanks for the opportunity!
Joan

Hi Joan - you did it right. Upload the photos in the Project system, then a little note here to let us know that they are there is a good idea. For some reason the Project system does not let me know that new images are there - so I need to check more often! Let me go see what you've done.

Oh, yes, a small note to everybody - since we have both soft pastels and oil pastels in this project, let us know what you are using, size of paper, etc. It will help us evaluate what you are doing. Thanks!

Kathryn Wilson
10-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50799

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59081/tn_stilllife002.jpg

I like this! One suggestion, switch the brown pot with the small glass lantern - let's see what that looks like. You have all your dark browns on one side and all your glass on the other side - mix them up a bit.

JerseyJoker
10-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I've been moving the objects around and have uploaded the latest setup. It seems like it could take forever to find a perfect design. I have to go out and get paper anyway so I'll let it sit and see what I think tomorrow. Any comments welcome.
Joan

Kathryn Wilson
10-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50800

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59081/tn_stilllife004.jpg

I like the addition of the red lamp - it plays off the red in the bear's clothing and hat. Not sure of the placement, so let's see what everyone else thinks.

Sherrybella
10-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Becky - it might be a good idea to think of a theme for your painting, even things you like to paint can be put together. Go to your local thrift store - might be something fun and inexpensive sitting on those shelves. Think size, shape, texture, color.

To get some inspiration, go to Bringer's links and see what other pastelists are doing for still life objects.

What do you mean by go to Bringers links??? I am a newby...Thanks for the demo about setting up the composition with cutouts, that is a great idea.

scall0way
10-23-2005, 02:49 PM
This has been such a struggle as I wander around my house picking things up and putting them down, but I could not think of any sort of "theme". Then in my bedroom earlier I happened to pick up "Dub". Dub is a little ceramic dog with an incomplete slit on the back of his head that would have made him a piggy bank (doggie bank?) if it had been opened enough to admit a coin. Intriguingly, on the bottom of his feet, is written in pencil: "C Bar C ranch, June 6, 1937". What does it mean? Is that when or where he was made? Anyway, I saw Dub in a little curio and second-hand shop just outside Richmond, VA some 30 years ago when I had driven down to visit my sister for the weekend, who was an art major at Richmond's Virginia Commonwealth University at the time. I fell in love with Dub's silly grin, but he seemed like such a dumb thing to spend my money on, so I left him there and went on to Richmond. But the whole weekend I was with my sister I kept thinking about him, and was so sorry I had no bought him. So on my way home to NJ I stopped at the shop again - luckily open. There was Dub with his big dopey grin still staring from the shelf, and I bought him and he has made me smile ever since. As soon as I saw Dub I *knew* he had to be in my still-life. But what else would go with him? I thought about other animal objects I have, but grouped a few with him and none looked quite right.

So I thought he should be grouped with other objects I had yearned to buy, and which had brought me pleasure. My first thought was a red Chinese jar I had bought not too long before I had gotten Dub. When I started working for my present company I was sent to Washington, DC for 5 months in 1974 for my "basic training". I lived in a hotel on the corner of M St and 22nd, not far from Georgetown. I used to walk all over the city, and there was a little Chinese curio place I often walked past. They had this jar in the window and I loved it. I loved its red-orange color, and I loved the roundness of its shape, and I walked past it for months. Finally, one day it got to be too much for me, and I went in and *bought* the jar. I was 21 at the time and still living at home with my parents, so this was one of the first things of that type I had ever bought for myself. Everything else had been purchased by my mom who had a definite sense of her own style and what went together. In fact, when I brought my jar home it was banished to the attic until I got my own apartment some time later, as it did not "go" with my mom's color scheme.

So that jar meant as much to me as Dub. Dub had been purchased very shortly *after* I moved into my own apartment, so he and the jar both had places of prominence. That is their only relationship, so I'm not sure they go together for a still life either, I just know they both have to be in it! But so far I'm stumped for something else with enough significance to join them.

But in the meantime I posted a couple pictures of Dub and the jar. Yesterday I bought a lazy Susan and a small table to put it on, so I posted a few pix showing how cool it was to be able to revolve it and see different aspects.

khourianya
10-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50805

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/62165/tn_Dub_2.JPG

I like this set up best of the three. I wonder about using just 2 items in a setup, since usually odd numbers create more interesting setups. Do you have something else that you could add to these two to see how it would look. You have an oriental theme going...maybe a fan in the background or something. I don't know. To me, this doesn't read as that interesting and needs something more to create some oomf.

You do paint fairly quickly - you could probably get away with using a live flower in there if you wanted...

scall0way
10-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50804

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/62165/tn_Dub_1.JPG

This is not in any way an attempt at "composition" yet, but for reasons I outlined in the project discussion thread these two items *have* to be in my still life, so I'm just studying them together, and wondering what else might go with them.

khourianya
10-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50800

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59081/tn_stilllife004.jpg

I love the one with the little red lamp...that is my favourite...

Debbie - I'm apologize - I misinterpreted. I must have misread where you wrote that.

blobs and scribbles
10-23-2005, 03:29 PM

I like this one much better than the first two! I don't know much about still life composition, but would it make sense to losen up the set-up a little by moving the bear a bit to the right?

blobs and scribbles
10-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50805

So I thought he should be grouped with other objects I had yearned to buy, and which had brought me pleasure. [...], so he and the jar both had places of prominence. That is their only relationship, so I'm not sure they go together for a still life either, I just know they both have to be in it!

I find this idea VERY charming! And I think in the case of these two objects it somehow does show that they are related by being very special to someone. I was wondering whether some kind of old toy, shabby doll or something could go with them to add to the idea of nostalgia?

BeckyMc
10-23-2005, 04:51 PM

This is my favorite of your setups - I'd put something tall behind Dub and the jar, since they're almost the same size. Before I read your post - I kept looking at your setup and laughing at the dog - how smart of you to buy him!

Pat Isaac
10-23-2005, 05:14 PM

I like this one best and it is nice that they have a meaning for you. I agrees that a third piece taller than the others would be good.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
10-23-2005, 07:11 PM
What do you mean by go to Bringers links??? I am a newby...Thanks for the demo about setting up the composition with cutouts, that is a great idea.

Sorry about that - :rolleyes:

Bringer is a WC pastel forum member who loves to roam the internet looking for good artist web sites - he posts a thread in Pastel Talk every month. Here is a link to his October links:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298495

michellej
10-23-2005, 08:22 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2005/69167-Art_Portfolio_022.jpg

michellej
10-23-2005, 08:26 PM
OOPS! so the thing you see before this is supposed to be one of my samples for comment. Please be patient with me i'm still trying to circumnavigate my way around the image resizing stuff.
This is "candle with broken dish" I have two more ideas to post but will wait until i can do it properly

michellej
10-23-2005, 08:33 PM
This one is my favourite "tomatoes with cucumber" I like the contrast of complements and the play of the light on the tomatoes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2005/69167-Art_Portfolio_023.jpg

What do you guys think? Yet again the thing is huge!

Karen Margulis
10-23-2005, 09:15 PM
This thread is a great idea. I want to make an effort to work more from life. A friend and I tried to do a still life set up with gourds and realized quickly that it was harder to do than it seems! Here is my 2nd attempt at a still life. The goal was to learn how to paint glass so we set up a bunch of glass balls and crystals. It was a challenge! I am going to try another one and post the progress....but here is my glass ball attempt.
Karen

Here's the photo of my set up...blurry because flash washed it out.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2005/53551-art_023.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2005/53551-art_025.jpg

khourianya
10-23-2005, 10:03 PM
If you guys go into the actual project page, you can upload these images into the progress images..then people can comment on them easier :)

chookbrown
10-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Oh wow... I've been busily uploading images to the project page and forgot all about the discussion thread... I was sooooo NOT ignoring you all... sorry :(...LOL....

Decided to go with the second and will get a lighter version of the second for you Kat and will also post a link to the others so you can see the series as asked.... TOMORROW... its near midnight here and I'm pooped.

thanks and will also comment on the other entries...

Colleen :D:D

Trilby
10-24-2005, 01:02 AM
I went into the mountains today, beautiful trip , but now have a throat filled with fire, no voice and am laid low, so will be out for the count for a few days/ sorry. Some nice assemblies of objects are being presented. I'll be back to comment.
TJ

maria_khurram
10-24-2005, 07:28 AM

I like this entry so much.

chookbrown
10-24-2005, 08:11 AM
Hey Pat, you wanted to see the others in this series.....

At the top of this thread ------>>>> http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301594&page=1&pp=15

thanks, Colleen :D:D

chookbrown
10-24-2005, 08:15 AM

I like the items in this composition but the repetition of two books then two lamps bothers me. I would like to see it with just the larger lamp and lose the small one. Perhaps placing the larger lamp behind Teddy to give a grouping of three items and an angular composition to the books in the other corner...where they are.... just my thoughts... should be a really great painting!!

Kathryn Wilson
10-24-2005, 08:41 AM
If you guys go into the actual project page, you can upload these images into the progress images..then people can comment on them easier :)

Thanks Cori - the Project system is not the easiest to learn so let me include a link to where they have to go to put their Progress Images -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php

I click on the Content Area button up above, click on the Project system button in that menu and it brings up the main project page, off to the left you will see "My Projects" - this is where you manage all your projects -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=my

That is a link to all my own projects, but when you do yours, it will show all the projects you have joined.

OR you can go to the main projects page, pull up the Still Life project page, scroll to the bottom and you will see a link to "upload" your Progress Images.

chookbrown
10-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50801

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/14941/tn_light_box.jpg

Great idea Kat... I have always wanted to try this out.... must get it organized. Thanks for showing this.

chookbrown
10-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50794

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59858/tn_still_life_026.jpg

great pic shells!! Love your glasswork and colour palette.

Colleen :D

shells
10-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks Maria. I hope I'll be able to handle all the objects I've chosen in my painting some time soom. For the momment I only have the guts to try a few at a time.

shells
10-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks Colleen. Wish I could do the flowers as well as the one on your signature band.

Pat Isaac
10-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Colleen, thanks for the thread. They are absolutely spectacular. :clap: This new one should be a perfect match. The show will be wonderful.

Pat

michellej
10-24-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm also thinking of trying this one. What do you think? Does it need more added to it?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2005/69167-Art_Portfolio_026.jpg

chookbrown
10-24-2005, 07:14 PM
I'm also thinking of trying this one. What do you think? Does it need more added to it?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2005/69167-Art_Portfolio_026.jpg

LOL.... YES this one definitely needs something added... milk, sugar and my mouth....lol.... how cute. Actually it works as it is but a nice juicy strawberry or peach slice on the side of the bowl would give it a bang of colour!

:D:D

khourianya
10-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50801

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/14941/tn_light_box.jpg

Very nice Kat. I picked up a wooden crate at michaels for fairly little money that I am going to turn into a still life box. I'll be sure to post photos when I get holes drilled for the lights...

Great idea, that turntable..I should see if I have one kicking around.

Grunge
10-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50827

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/9218/tn_chopsticksprog3.jpg

I just stopped in to say "WOW!!!!"

Candle
10-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Hi Christine,

I am in Divide, which is about an hour's drive West of Colorado Springs. It's a great area. I've been through Englewood. That's a really pretty area too.

Candle
10-25-2005, 12:09 AM

I think this set-up is really stunning. I like how the graduating colors give so much depth, while the flower and little red cup make a nice path for the eye to follow. I really would like to see this as a finished piece!

Candle
10-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50804

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/62165/tn_Dub_1.JPG

I agree with earlier comments that putting something taller in would really balance out the composition. Or, maybe add something smaller, and take the photo from another angle? I love the objects you've chosen so far.

shells
10-25-2005, 05:50 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50824

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/9218/tn_chopsticksredbg.jpg

Colleen,
Your start looks so good. But please don't trim down on the details as it'll really be helpful for us beginners as a learning process.

Pat Isaac
10-25-2005, 08:31 AM

What a great still life box, Kat. Thanks.

Pat Isaac
10-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50824

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/9218/tn_chopsticksredbg.jpg

Thanks for the progress pics so we can see your process.

Pat

scall0way
10-25-2005, 09:31 AM
This is my favorite of your setups - I'd put something tall behind Dub and the jar, since they're almost the same size.

Yes, I agree I need something of a different size. I thought of including a statuette of Don Quixote that I have. He is very Quixotic-looking, tall and skinny, about 15 inches high maybe, so would bring a different shape to the composition. He also satisties the "nostalgia" requirement as I bought him the summer I was 17, spending the summer in Spain studying at the University of Salamanca - one of my most magical summers!

In fact I brought Quixote up to check him out, but poor Quixote fell off the shelf a few years ago and is now a bit wobbly on his pins. He can't easily stand up without something behind him supporting him. But if I have him in the background of my comp, where his feet don't show, perhaps I could try to duct-tape he feet to his pedastal to keep him standing. :D

chookbrown
10-25-2005, 11:36 AM

I think this set-up is really stunning. I like how the graduating colors give so much depth, while the flower and little red cup make a nice path for the eye to follow. I really would like to see this as a finished piece!

Thanks Candle its coming... didn't help that I slept in this morning but I'm up and at it now... four hours behind schedule!!! :rolleyes:

chookbrown
10-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50827

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/9218/tn_chopsticksprog3.jpg

Moving along here I am still blocking in solid colours and doing a minimal amount of shaping just to try and get things positioned. I have more "finish" done at the top and the left... I sort of oscillate back and forth a bit.. do some new colour down lower and add a little more finish to the top or higher areas. As I put more colour down lower and towards the right I want less reason to go back to the top or left as this piece is 30 inches long... my arms from armpit to wrist are only 16inches (I knit sweaters etc so good reason to know this measurement...LOL). With the silver dollar branch I made them solid white and now will rub the background colours into them to make them look more translucent and then will go back and put back some of the details like the little seed spots and edges but mainly on those closest to the light source. Red cup looks out of shape here and may not recover!!! but when the other plates go under it I'm hoping its shape looks more 'true'.

The gold platter or charger now has a mostly brown underpainting then I will go back and add top colours and highlights... almost out of this colour and don't have anything similar but will need to improvise I guess.. nobody local has a replacement pastel, will order online.

thanks for looking all comments most welcome. :)

Pat Isaac
10-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Looking good. Wonderful color.

Pat

michellej
10-25-2005, 05:42 PM
I think i'll do the vegetables for a start I like the colour combinations there.

khourianya
10-25-2005, 09:14 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50852

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/47843/tn_slpro_objects.jpg

I have now posted my objects and a few set ups...let the comments begin. The story of my objects is in with this photo.

chookbrown
10-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50852

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/47843/tn_slpro_objects.jpg
Cori I love your story and your selection. Often the simplest items make the best paintings... soooo looking forward to this one...

Taurus41
10-26-2005, 12:48 AM
Hi Kyle

I want to join this project to please.

Have taken some photos, dont know if it is the right thing, hope they are ok.

You will not believe it... three days and I have not been able to find a large cardboard box!!! Our little supermarket packs them up and sells them...... none to be had. Mumbel, mumbel, mumbel, have one on order.

See you later, must try and up load pics.

Regards

tereza

Kathryn Wilson
10-26-2005, 07:49 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50839

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/70134/tn_000_1099.JPG

I like this one of the three that you posted - although the top rose does line up with the handle - I'm not sure if you can reposition it so that the rose is turned toward the viewer, without the stem if that would be better.

Kathryn Wilson
10-26-2005, 07:51 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50822

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/9218/tn_chopstix.jpg

Thanks for uploading this - now I can see all the elements. It is looking good and now will go see all the other posts you've done!

Kathryn Wilson
10-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Hi Kyle

I want to join this project to please.

tereza

I've sent you a PM on how to join the Project and how to upload photos. Looking forward to seeing your set up!

Kathryn Wilson
10-26-2005, 07:55 AM

Looking good! This is exactly what the Project is about - uploading progress shots. One question, how are you keeping your paper so dust free in the unfinished areas? With all that red, my paper would have dust trails - do you use a frisket?

Kathryn Wilson
10-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50841

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59081/tn_progress.jpg

Your progress shots are excellent! I like how you worked out the composition and it's looking good. The glass in the hurricane lamp is coming along very nicely.

Kathryn Wilson
10-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50853

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/47843/tn_slpro_left.jpg

Cori, I like this comp the best - you can see more of the bear's face. I like the dramatic lighting, but the bear is facing away too much from the viewer. Also, watch what you do with that big blue square of fabric in the quilt - it is taking my eye away from the bear's face. Perhaps a different color - a bit more muted?

Pat Isaac
10-26-2005, 08:26 AM

Wonderful collection of objects and their meaning make them all the more wonderful.

Pat

JerseyJoker
10-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50841

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59081/tn_progress.jpg

Thanks for the comment, kyle. After letting it sit overnight, I see so many flaws in the drawing. The books look like they are tilting up so I obviously didn't get the perspective right. However, there is no tooth left in the paper at that spot, so should I just leave it, finish the picture as is, and work on that problem in the next picture, or quit and start over? Any thoughts? Thanks.

JerseyJoker
10-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Forgot to mention in my post that everyone is doing such interesting pictures and with a variety of objects. I'm very much enjoying my first wetcanvas project and seeing what everyone else is doing.
Joan

Kathryn Wilson
10-26-2005, 09:21 AM
JerseyJoker - I see what you are saying about the books. Depending on your paper, can you brush the books out? I take a paint brush and brush out parts that are not up to par and start over - if there is no tooth left after brushing, I will spray some fixative on the surface using a template to keep the spray in that exact spot. Let the fixative dry really well and start over again. I would hate to see you drop this painting at this stage, it just needs a little adjustment - :)

khourianya
10-26-2005, 10:27 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50853

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/47843/tn_slpro_left.jpg

Cori, I like this comp the best - you can see more of the bear's face. I like the dramatic lighting, but the bear is facing away too much from the viewer. Also, watch what you do with that big blue square of fabric in the quilt - it is taking my eye away from the bear's face. Perhaps a different color - a bit more muted?

Very good point Kat - I'll noodle with it a bit more and post some photos tonight. I am also going to see if I can take a photo that shows the correct lighting...

JerseyJoker
10-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks, kyle. I'll give it a try and post the result.
Joan

Pat Isaac
10-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50839

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/70134/tn_000_1099.JPG

Actually, this one would be fine, but I think you need to watch out for both stems leading of the paper. It takes your eye away from the center of interest. The stems in the first arrangement are better placed.

Pat

Pat Isaac
10-26-2005, 04:33 PM

Nice start. the books are a little crooked. Just remember that in a rectangle all lines going the same way are parallel to each other.

Pat

Pat Isaac
10-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50855

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/47843/tn_slpro_light.jpg

I like this arrangement the best, but think it needs more light to bring out some of the details.

Pat

khourianya
10-26-2005, 06:07 PM
My camera doesn't do so well with the flash off. I had turned off the lights so the only light on the set up was the spotlight and it came out blurred and orange. lol. I'll try to take a better pic tonight :)

JerseyJoker
10-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50882

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59081/tn_progress3.jpg

I'm getting close to calling this finished. I don't want to keep blending but would rather leave it looser with some of the strokes showing. I was able to change the angle of the books a little which I think helped although I know it's not perfect. (Maybe it's something I can work on in my next picture...!) Thank you, kyle for the idea of brushing out some the pastel with a paint brush and going over it. That worked really well. I'll do some more work on the shadows and some details tomorrow. Comments and/or critiques welcome. Thanks.
Joan

Kathryn Wilson
10-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50882

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59081/tn_progress3.jpg

Yes, that is much better. Watch the verticals on the little green book that is standing - they might be a tad off.

Glad you liked the hint on brushing out - once you get brave enough to do it, it becomes easier to say to oneself "that's not right and I need to fix it" and then go ahead and do it.

khourianya
10-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50883

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/47843/tn_slpro_light2.jpg

I played with the comp a bit and lit it to take another pic. This one is better, though I am now paranoid about that square. I may adjust the quilt and set it up again...

khourianya
10-26-2005, 08:55 PM

I like this one best of the three as well.

khourianya
10-26-2005, 08:57 PM

Ohh - I blinked and this one progressed so far. It looks wonderful so far!

khourianya
10-26-2005, 09:01 PM

Ohh - I love that you used the bottle as a vase. I think your petals look fine - the position of the flowers concerns me since they are straight above one another...perhaps you could throw in a third Gerbera, slightly off to the side to beak up the illusion of the straight line. Just a thought. Keep going.. This one is set to become a stunner.

K Taylor-Green
10-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Just popping in to see how this is going. Amazing work here! I can't believe how much has been done in a few days!

chookbrown
10-26-2005, 09:49 PM

Looking good! This is exactly what the Project is about - uploading progress shots. One question, how are you keeping your paper so dust free in the unfinished areas? With all that red, my paper would have dust trails - do you use a frisket?

LOL... I'm a clean freak when doing my art... my house is another matter... Actually a lot of the time I work flat on my table and only put it up on the easel for checking etc. I pick up my piece and carry it outside to bash off the dust or into a garbage can lined with a bag.... I also roll with a kneaded eraser across the white to preserve it as long as I can... I don't want foreign colours meddling with my chosen colours.

:D

Taurus41
10-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Phew I made it! Up loaded some images.

I just love doing still life! Have been collecting stuff for about five years and very seldom got to do anything. Now, with some help of my friends :music: :music: I might just start doing something worth while. From the images I can already see what appels to me. Drama!!!
Forgot to add comments on the set ups, but perhaps I might come back to that later??

Meanwhile it is almost pumpkin time on my online time. Have downloaded up to page 8 of this thread, will read it at leasure during the day.

Have a good day.
TEREZA

DLJohnson
10-27-2005, 02:42 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50855

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/47843/tn_slpro_light.jpg

I really like this one because some things are still in the dark (shadows) and it seems to go with the theme. To me it symbolizes the future.

Kathryn Wilson
10-27-2005, 07:26 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50895

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/60853/tn_TZ_Collection_1.JPG

Tereza - I love all of your objects - and your green backdrop is a good one for all the objects you've shown. I especially like the white pitcher, the red geranium and the little lidded pot. I can't wait to see which ones you are going to pick to put together. :clap:

Pat Isaac
10-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50900

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/60853/tn_TZ_3_still_life_setup.JPG

I particulary like this one as it has a classic beauty. You certainly have quite a collection of still life materials.

Pat

Orchidacea
10-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Whew! Just came over here to check this out--and found a whole morning's worth of reading! Yikes! You guys have been busy! I haven't even had a chance to look at the images over at the project itself.

I've been setting up still lifes for the past week--I've got objects all over the couch, a dresser, the floor and my setup table, lol, all covered with a fine layer of pastel dust (that's one problem with painting glass in soft pastel--you have to keep cleaning the glass!). I'll try to get some pics and approach this in a more structured way sometime soon.

Nice work, everyone!!

chookbrown
10-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50855

Love the mood of this one Cori!!! great composition also..

chookbrown
10-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50895

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/60853/tn_TZ_Collection_1.JPG

Great items Tereza... for some reason I want that green bottle to be red... LOL.. must have something to do with the colors I'm using at the momo... Looking forward to seeing this one get under way.

chookbrown
10-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50919

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/9218/tn_chopsticks4.jpg

two bandaids and one more hour to go... :D I'll be glad to be done with this... I need to do some smaller, quicker pieces... I'm not much up for pastel marathons at the moment... Yes, my daughter says I'm a wuss for complaining about my fingers...LOL :p

Pat Isaac
10-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50919

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/9218/tn_chopsticks4.jpg

This is really looking awesome! :clap:

Pat

chookbrown
10-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50920

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/completed/9218/tn_chopsticksdonesml.jpg

Soft pastel on Wallis Museum. 30 x 18 inches. I need to buy a different coloured backdrop to avoid red paintings for a while...LOL. Finding it difficult to get a good photo of this inside or out... this will have to do. All comments/critiques most welcome. thanks for looking, Colleen :wave: :D

chookbrown
10-27-2005, 01:31 PM

This is really looking awesome! :clap:

Pat

Thanks Pat!!! covered in red from head to toe... ruined two shirts and a sweater..... off to the shower!!! thanks again, colleen :D

Pat Isaac
10-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50920

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/completed/9218/tn_chopsticksdonesml.jpg

Love it!!! This is such a great series.

Pat

JerseyJoker
10-27-2005, 08:36 PM

This is beautiful! I love the reds!

JerseyJoker
10-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50925

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/completed/59081/tn_stilllifefinal.jpg

This is soft pastel, mostly Rembrandts, on 19 x 25 inch Canson Mi Tintes. I took the photo outside so the colors might be a little closer to correct than the progress pictures. I will continue working on perspective, correct verticals, straight lines and always the composition itself. Thanks for any comments and/or critiques.
Joan

chookbrown
10-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50925

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/completed/59081/tn_stilllifefinal.jpg

Terrific job on this one!!! That red lamp and those books in particular.. its all stunning but those really captured my attention... lovely soft background is a great foil to your other items.... wonderful!!!

khourianya
10-27-2005, 11:59 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50900

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/60853/tn_TZ_3_still_life_setup.JPG

Wow - I really like this set up...very nice....I think it's my favourite of all of the photos you posted.

Taurus41
10-28-2005, 12:40 AM
Thank you Cori.

Yes, it is dramatic, isnt it......... but how do I even get started with it???

The one I like best is ... the little black jar with the sprig of scarlet geranium.

But I dont even know where to beging. Any advice?? Oh, yes, I still have to read thorugh all the posts first, that will enlighten me. Take notes as I go along will also help.

Am still looking for a large box!! Want to try directional light on the subjects.

Be back tomorrow when I have more time.
Have fun

Tereza

Pat Isaac
10-28-2005, 08:54 AM

This is really looking great. I love the fuzziness of the bear and the red latern. It is all coming together quite well.

Pat

Taurus41
10-29-2005, 02:03 AM
Hullo Kyle

You are not going to beleive what has happened!!
While looking for that blessed cardboard box I poped into our little second hand shop at Pelican Harbour Centre. They keep only small stuff, mostly second hand books.

While I was unpacking books to exchange my eyes fell on a box of new stuff that had arrived... And I just flipped!!! Pictures of Morandi's work ran through my minds eye! Small jars, made of pottery..... The shortest is 5cm, the tallest 15 cm. They range in colour from white, off white, beige, yellow ocher, burnt sienna.......... Just too wonderful. As soon as posible I will take a photo for the site and you can all drool (if you like Morandi) and congratulate me.

Oh happy day!

Tereza

Kathryn Wilson
10-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Yay, we have our first two final entries! They can be found here in the Final Gallery Images - congratulations you two! When we all get done, we'll have a great show!

http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=browse_final_all&proj_id=956

Kathryn Wilson
10-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50949

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/65841/tn_Vasen.jpg

Hi - :wave: Glad you are de-lurking and welcome to the Still Life Project. These are really nice objects and I think keeping it simple is best - your shapes and sizes are all varied, so that is good! Now you have to think on a composition and a background. I see you are doing these in Oil Pastels - Vangoghpat and I can help with those if you have any questions.

Cheers, Kat

blobs and scribbles
10-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Phew, I've just caught up on reading the thread! Great progress has been made here :clap:Now I'll have a good look at your project entries and catch up on commenting!

Maybe I will even catch up on doing the project some time :rolleyes:

blobs and scribbles
10-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Vangoghpat and I can help with those if you have any questions.

Thanks, Kyle. Yeah, that's the good thing about this place. Even if my painting should go all wrong :o , I will learn so much from all these helpful people here. Actually I'm already learning so much just by following what everybody else is doing and writing here.

Pat Isaac
10-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50949

Great objects and it is best to keep it simple. I'm here to help with the OPs.

Pat

blobs and scribbles
10-30-2005, 11:05 AM

This is so lovely! Its atmosphere makes me want to cuddle up in bed for an afternoon with a couple of children's books and a big mug of hot chocolate. :)

blobs and scribbles
10-30-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm here to help with the OPs.

Good to know, Pat :wave:

blobs and scribbles
10-30-2005, 11:18 AM

This is my favourite of the three. The bloom of the botton rose looks great from this angle. But you might want to do something about the stem of the top rose being parallel to the lid and the crank (or whatever you call that in English) of the coffe mill.

blobs and scribbles
10-30-2005, 11:30 AM

I really like the lighting in this one! I was so moved when reading the reasons for your choice of objects. I think the atmosphere in this one really matches the atmosphere of the "story" the objects tell.

blobs and scribbles
10-30-2005, 11:41 AM

I like the idea of contrasting these rather elegant flowers with a simple bottle! But I agree with earlier comments: You might want a third flower in a different angle from the others because the bottle and the two flowers form an almost straight vertical line.

blobs and scribbles
10-30-2005, 11:48 AM

Wow! I'd really love to see you do this one :clap:

khourianya
10-30-2005, 11:50 AM

this is a lovely collection of items. i'm looking forward to seeing you set ups...

Kathryn Wilson
10-30-2005, 02:40 PM
I uploaded three more progress entries. Need advice on composition.

blobs and scribbles
10-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50955

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/46253/tn_IMG_0304.JPG

Hey, what a lovely idea! This looks like it's going to be real fun :clap:

khourianya
10-30-2005, 05:33 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50955

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/46253/tn_IMG_0304.JPG

Awww - this one will be so sweet! Definitely looking forward to seeing how it comes together

JerseyJoker
10-30-2005, 06:23 PM

I also would love to see you do this one, Tereza. It's very classical looking.
Joan

JerseyJoker
10-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50952

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/14941/tn_bruschetta-3.jpg

I like this one better. Maybe my monitor is set too dark, but the bread in the other one looks like it is floating. I can't see what it's sitting on. I like the objects--so colorful!
Joan

CM Neidhofer
10-30-2005, 06:35 PM
I've just come home from dropping my son at the airport. This week sure has flown by!! I tried to convince him to just stay here with me and we'll get his girl friend out here later...no dice! lol Now I have time to try to put something together. I have several ideas and not sure which I want to go with. May work on putting something together this evening, or tomorrow. There are so many wonderful ideas so far, as well as completed work. I hope I come up with something just as interesting! I'll be posting soon. :)

Christine

khourianya
10-30-2005, 10:58 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50960

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/47843/tn_slpro_lightfinal.jpg

Okay - tomorrow I will start sketching.I have mounted a full sheet of Wallis Pro on my easel and am raring to go. As I said in the description for this one - the quilt block was bugging me so I reworked the box...

I also thought you all might like to see the still life box I crafted...All I did was buy a prefabricated crate at michaels for about $10 and then pounded some nails in around the edges to hang hooks on to suspend backdrops. Once I find my hole bits for my drill, I will drill a few holes and buy some cabinet lights at ikea to mount in them. Then I should be able to light my still lifes any way that i might desire...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2005/47843-slpro_box.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2005/47843-slpro_boxclips.jpg

khourianya
11-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50965

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/47843/tn_01_sketch_0ct31.jpg

Let the fun begin - my sketch is in place - now for the underpainitng! :D

E-J
11-01-2005, 05:35 AM
I've been away for a week, so am coming to the project a bit late. I've been meaning to commit myself to a still life as I haven't done one for ages ... I do find choosing objects and setting them up very hard. I've signed up and hope to join you later in the week!

Kathryn Wilson
11-01-2005, 05:44 AM
E-J, you aren't too late - we have lots of people signed up who haven't started. Looking forward to seeing your steps in setting up. I find that is the hardest part too.

Orchidacea
11-01-2005, 06:49 AM
I'm behind again--this thread is moving a little too fast for poor slow me, lol--but had to congratulate Cori on a great-looking setup! Can't wait to see what it looks like when you're done!

shells
11-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Hi Birte,
Thanks for the feed back. I think I am finallygetting the hang of setting up a still life after viewing a few hundred pics I took of different arrangements as a learning process. I'm uploading a new one. Please do tell me how you like it.

E-J
11-01-2005, 09:42 AM

Hi Tereza. I like this vase very much and agree with the others that it has a wonderful classical appeal. You could really have fun with that shine, and with the orange reflections. It might be even better if you were to create more overlap between the objects, so that they weren't 'kissing' in a row?

Artistammy
11-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50960

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/47843/tn_slpro_lightfinal.jpg

I noticed the light is not shining on the bears face as much in this one & I liked that. I really like the rest of the set-up.
Tammy

Orchidacea
11-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Hi Birte,
Thanks for the feed back. I think I am finallygetting the hang of setting up a still life after viewing a few hundred pics I took of different arrangements as a learning process. I'm uploading a new one. Please do tell me how you like it.

You know, I really do think that's the key. I just finished a very simple still life--just 3 apples, a plate and a napkin--but I spent 4 hours moving those things around and changing the lighting and the viewing angle, taking dozens of pics, until I got what I wanted. Persistence pays off--I'm happy wiht the result. (You can see it here.) (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4017413#post4017413)

khourianya
11-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Oh, Tammy, I'd noticed that last night when I did my skech. I then put a second lamp on it so it should be more pronoused as the painting progresses.

shells
11-01-2005, 10:29 PM

Colleen,
Your final entry is so lovely. I did'nt want to get into soft pastels because of the dust they produce, but if this is the effect you can get...! WOW!

Mikki Petersen
11-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50952

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/14941/tn_bruschetta-3.jpg

Hi Kat! I like the items in these groupings. As for the bread, it might have been more interesting if you'd torn it in half instead of cutting it. It might also be interesting to tear a few chunks off and have one of those little dishes with olive oil for dipping. Anyway, I think these objects have real potential for making a good set-up

Mikki

oriole
11-02-2005, 04:46 AM
Everyone is really moving along on their project. As usual, I'm having a hard time keeping up. I am at the set-up point. I was wondering what kind of lighting people are using. I just have a desk lamp with your average 60 watt bulb. Does it make a difference and what type of bulb would work best?
Lynne

oriole
11-02-2005, 04:52 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50977

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59858/tn_still_life_035.jpg

This looks like it will be fun to paint with that interesting shell and the glass vase!

E-J
11-02-2005, 04:59 AM

Kat, I like the arrangement, and the echoing tomato/leaf motifs! That background isn't doing much for me, though. Perhaps if the black was pushed it could be nice and dramatic, but the light is making it rather more grey than black, and it seems dull.

Kathryn Wilson
11-02-2005, 06:32 AM
Hi E-J and Mikki - thanks for commenting on my set-up. I chose that black more for covering up the lightbox than anything else, the background is going to be a very dark, dark green and I had nothing available at the time - :)

Mikki, I think you are right about the bread - and the little dish sounds about right too.

Will be uploading my initial sketch sometime today - learning to leave out the perishable stuff until last - I've already eaten the two loaves of bread I bought, the basil leaves bit the dust, and having the refrigerate the tomatoes after each session - :)

Pat Isaac
11-02-2005, 07:58 AM

I love toy stlll lifes. This is a nice assortment and will be interested in seeing your final setup. The wooden pieces are always nice and it sounds as if you will have an assortment of textures and surfaces to work with.

Pat

Pat Isaac
11-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50977

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59858/tn_still_life_035.jpg

I like the colors in this one. What is the shiny object in the background? You might consider cropping some of the background.

Pat

Pat Isaac
11-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50978

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59858/tn_still_life_036.jpg

Just saw the drawing and realized that you had cropped some of the background. Nice start.

Pat

Pat Isaac
11-02-2005, 08:06 AM

This is really an ambitious still life, Kat. The Italian theme is really nice, but I wonder if the plate and pitcher compete with each other. Maybe one or the other should be plainer.

Pat

Pat Isaac
11-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50965

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/47843/tn_01_sketch_0ct31.jpg

Really nice block-in on this, Cori. Be careful of the block angles.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
11-02-2005, 08:10 AM
Everyone is really moving along on their project. As usual, I'm having a hard time keeping up. I am at the set-up point. I was wondering what kind of lighting people are using. I just have a desk lamp with your average 60 watt bulb. Does it make a difference and what type of bulb would work best?
Lynne

I am using a spotlight with a daylight bulb in it - I wanted strong, directed light onto my objects - but it depends on what you want for your still life. Soft light like your desk lamp could work too.

Kathryn Wilson
11-02-2005, 08:12 AM

Pat, that's exactly what hubby said too - too busy! I may eliminate the boarder writings around the plate rim - easier for me anyway :evil:

Pat Isaac
11-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Kim, just looked at your apple still life. It's just great!! Reminds me of one that I am working on in OPs. You can see it here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3893405&postcount=18)

Pat

E-J
11-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Well, I am really stuck with this project - just as I suspected I would be! It's no coincidence that I haven't painted a still life for such a long time.

With the first few still lifes I ever did, I tended to group three objects together in a vaguely triangular clump in the middle of the paper, with too much dead space on either side. Last year I managed to get round my difficulty in choosing objects and arranging them by buying a fresh bunch of flowers each time (lilies, for their graceful shapes) putting them in a vase and making the shadow patterns on the fabric a major part of the composition, rather than attempting to relate the lilies to any other objects.

I would like to set up a still life that isn't just lilies and shadows, but I honestly don't know how. Single objects ... fine. But I don't seem to possess even TWO objects which look in any way good together! There is just no overall theme to the items I have at my disposal. To prove it, here they all are ...

Can somebody put me out of my misery??

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2005/13865-stilllife_objects.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
11-02-2005, 08:45 AM
LOL - E-J, I can totally relate. This is one of the hardest things I've had to do - on top of that, I am trying to keep it to the "food" theme the show is calling for.

I love the skull! How about a candle with the skull - really dark and eerie? I'm thinking on Preston's recent thread with that candle glow.

E-J
11-02-2005, 09:02 AM
Hello Kat - thanks for taking pity :) It's a motley collection, isn't it?

Yes, it occurred to me that one possibility would be to use the skull (I call him Clive) as part of a 'vanitas' type painting ... gloomily lit, as you describe, and perhaps with a few fruits or flowers or a book, like one of the old Dutch masters. But when I'm working in pastels, dark doesn't seem to appeal to me. I like vibrant colour!

I used to love painting still lifes before I learnt enough about composition to realise how bad my arrangements were! Because I then felt at a loss as to how to improve them, I started avoiding the whole issue. Frankly, the difficulty I have with this shakes my belief in myself and makes me wonder if I should consider myself an artist at all.

Sorry to get all heavy!! This is really hard for me!

shells
11-02-2005, 09:11 AM
The shiny object was a foil thingy that somebody in one of the forums suggested would be a good source of reflected light. Could you please tell me what you think of the almost finished entry? I am kind of struggling to get some folds in the blue fabric background.

Kathryn Wilson
11-02-2005, 09:18 AM
(((((hugs))))) - E-J, you have nothing to prove here - this is just a project and it should be a learning experience. Every painting, even if a failure (which I doubt you could even produce!!!), is a learning experience. Throw that skull and a few things together, just paint and have fun with it. We'll laugh together when we get done - wipe our brows, and go "whew" - glad that's over - :)

OR, we might even find out we like to do still lifes if we don't get so serious about them. But what do I know, I placed this silly burden on myself - now I have to pull it off as this one is going to a show!

Kathryn Wilson
11-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=50997

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/59858/tn_hawaii_002.jpg

Hi Shells - sorry about that. One of the unfortunate things about the Project system program, is that it does not notify me when there is a new upload -

This is coming along nicely - the flower turned out well.

A couple of suggestions, remember your lighting source - and your darks. I always put those in first - my very darkest, darks and my lightest light. You need to get some shadow in under your objects. The shell needs work, but I think if you get your background and cloth underneath settled in, the shell will work itself out.

Oh, by the way, in looking through the glass vase - is the blue a bit darker than you have it? It would give it the appearance of transparency if you put some of the cloth color in the vase.

Keep going!

Orchidacea
11-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Lynne

I find I am much more excited about my setups when they are lit with intense directional light. It is also much easier to give objects dimension when there are pronounced value changes, in my opinion.

I bought a 500-watt halogen worklight at Home Depot for under $10. It is really bright and gives me dramatic highlights and shadows. I use big pieces of cardboard with windows cut in them, and light my setups from some kind of angle rather than dead on.

Orchidacea
11-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Hello Kat - thanks for taking pity :) It's a motley collection, isn't it?

Yes, it occurred to me that one possibility would be to use the skull (I call him Clive) as part of a 'vanitas' type painting ... gloomily lit, as you describe, and perhaps with a few fruits or flowers or a book, like one of the old Dutch masters. But when I'm working in pastels, dark doesn't seem to appeal to me. I like vibrant colour!

I used to love painting still lifes before I learnt enough about composition to realise how bad my arrangements were! Because I then felt at a loss as to how to improve them, I started avoiding the whole issue. Frankly, the difficulty I have with this shakes my belief in myself and makes me wonder if I should consider myself an artist at all.

Sorry to get all heavy!! This is really hard for me!

Oh E-J! Are you having "one of those days"? If you never paint anything more than your lilies and shadows, you'll still be a grand success--they're stunning. But you can break through this! I see some great yellow and blue objects in your collection--the fish, the two pitchers, the bowl. Those are great colors to work with, and they feel like "you". You just need to find a way to get some nice height variation, and you're all set. Put the fish in the bowl with the yellow pitcher behind, lol, or soemthing like that. Just be silly with it, and keep moving your light around--you'll hit on something! I have every faith in you.

Orchidacea
11-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Kim, just looked at your apple still life. It's just great!! Reminds me of one that I am working on in OPs. You can see it here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3893405&postcount=18)

Pat

Don't you love those red/green complements? Your painting is going to be gorgeous!

Orchidacea
11-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Okay, one more post to this thread--sorry, can't collect my thoughts today.

On the subject of lighting--soft lighting works well too, as Kat wa saying. I'm doing one now that is lit by candlelight. It's very dim and mysterious, lol. But, because I needed night vision goggles to see it, I decided to add a gentle spot as well...I used a daylight spot I have, but then had to cover it to soften it--I draped it with a pair of white cotton undies and that worked great, lol. Have to monitor it though, to make sure the undies don't catch fire...)

Artistammy
11-02-2005, 10:14 AM
EJ, I've seen some still lifes I really loved with blue & yellow objects. Do you have any other things with those colors in them...plates, napkins, towel, etc.?
Tammy

Kathryn Wilson
11-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51006

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/14941/tn_bruschetta-4.jpg

Okay, I uploaded two more images - this one is the sketch, the second one is the underpainting of the background.

(BTW, if you upload images and want immediate comments, comment on one of your own uploaded images and it will come automatically to the discussion page and that will let me know there are more things to comment on. This is getting to be a huge project with lots of entries, so it would help me out tremendously - thanks!)

Kathryn Wilson
11-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51007

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/14941/tn_bruschetta-5.jpg

I noticed that these images look a little off - I am getting used to using a new camera and I must have been standing off to one side and didn't know it. Anywho, this is the underpainting.

I won't put in the perishables until the very last minute - :D

E-J
11-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51007

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/14941/tn_bruschetta-5.jpg

Kat, is this in soft or oil pastel? Sorry if I've missed that info somewhere along the line.

Kathryn Wilson
11-02-2005, 11:21 AM

Kat, is this in soft or oil pastel? Sorry if I've missed that info somewhere along the line.

Sorry, my fault - soft pastel. As long as it stays warm in my studio, I will be doing soft pastels. Once the weather turns bitter cold, I move to the house and do oil pastels. :o

khourianya
11-02-2005, 11:33 AM

very nice start on this, Kat. You are going to have another winner on your hands!

scall0way
11-02-2005, 02:31 PM
I used to love painting still lifes before I learnt enough about composition to realise how bad my arrangements were! Because I then felt at a loss as to how to improve them, I started avoiding the whole issue.

Wow, I felt I could have typed this myself. The only still lifes I have done that I have been happy with have all been from photos in the RIL. None of the ones I have tried myself have pleased me at all. I'm way behind on this project as I have not even found a good way to set up and light my objects.

As Kim says, I think I like strong directional lighting on still lifes. But at present I don't really have anywhere to set up something like that. It would require major reorganization in my little house and I just have not been able to face it yet. So my still life languishes. I really want to get going with this project, but it seems to be requiring so much "up front" work just to get started, and being sick the last three weeks has not helped my mood any. :)

Orchidacea
11-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51014

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/41088/tn_Candlestick_progress.jpg

This is a still life I'm currently working on. The camera has warped it--the stem of that candlestick really is straight and plumb in real life!

I uploaded an image of some objects I was considering, and the setup I ended up using. I was quite decisive about this one--had it all clear in my head before I started--so I didn't make any alternative setups, which is a first for me. I have another one I want to do for this project, so I'll do the whole process with that one.

Pat Isaac
11-02-2005, 03:37 PM
E-J, just keep it simple. I love those yellow and blue pieces that you have, maybe on some kind of patterned cloth, with the still life filling most of the space.

Kim, thanks.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
11-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51013

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/41088/tn_pumpkin_setup.jpg

This is going to be very dramatic! I think the colors are outstanding - can't wait to see it finished.

Orchidacea
11-02-2005, 03:50 PM
As Kim says, I think I like strong directional lighting on still lifes. But at present I don't really have anywhere to set up something like that. It would require major reorganization in my little house and I just have not been able to face it yet. So my still life languishes. I really want to get going with this project, but it seems to be requiring so much "up front" work just to get started, and being sick the last three weeks has not helped my mood any. :)

How about your dining room table? Take some pics, so you can set it up again if you have to take it down to eat :) . My setup table takes up a space about two feet by three feet--I'll bet you could squeeze that in somewhere. Use the box thingie--it really helps manage the light, and confines everything in a small area as well.

Being sick doesn't help--I hope you're feeling better now!

Pat Isaac
11-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51013

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/41088/tn_pumpkin_setup.jpg

This is really great. The contrasts are wonderful.

Pat

Orchidacea
11-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks Pat and Kat (now that's a cute combo, lol)! Did you see my progress pic? I'm working on the pumpkin now--still trying to get the colors just right.

Kathryn Wilson
11-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Yup, sure did - I clicked on the reference photo so that other people could see what you were painting from.

Pat Isaac
11-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51014

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/41088/tn_Candlestick_progress.jpg

This is really looking good. It is soft pastel???

Pat

Orchidacea
11-02-2005, 04:41 PM
It is soft pastel???

Yes it is...I've never tried oilies....but you do make them look tempting.

khourianya
11-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51022

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/47843/tn_02_underpaint_nov2.jpg

well - my paper is covered in colour now - underpainting that is.

Kathryn Wilson
11-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51022

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/47843/tn_02_underpaint_nov2.jpg

Very, very nice! Looking forward to seeing your next update.

Taurus41
11-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Hi Kyle
I see all these lovely finished works and I cant get started!! I can take photos of things... but to get down to work... nope.

My hubby has my studio in a total upheavel. He has built a dry wall and is now painting it, and he will not let me work up there till it is finished. He is also not happy about my working with pastels (or oils) anywhere else int he house... so I am stuck till he is finished and I have the place for myself.

Meanwhile... is there a site where I can see a pastel still life WIP? As much as I long to start I just dont know where to begin, and I am sure that like everything else there is a process.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2005/60853-dry_wall_3.JPG

Looking forward to hearing from you

Tereza

khourianya
11-02-2005, 11:49 PM
You should check out the Still life forum. They have loads of WIPs over there....just a thought (you can get there from the drop down menua t the top of the screen)

Orchidacea
11-03-2005, 03:20 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51017

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/completed/41088/tn_By_Candlelight.jpg

Finished! (Now I have to try and get my hands clean, lol).

Cori--yours is looking great so far!

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2005, 05:15 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51017

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/completed/41088/tn_By_Candlelight.jpg

This turned out exceptionally well - your work on the pumpkin is perfect. The glass work is too - this is what I try to describe to people when they when they try to do glass - the background color is what you see through the glass and it's almost just the very edges that have any color. Congrats on a job well done! :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Meanwhile... is there a site where I can see a pastel still life WIP? As much as I long to start I just dont know where to begin, and I am sure that like everything else there is a process.

Our Pastel Library has tons of still life threads - unfortunately, you have to dig through to find what you need. Here is one that is pretty descriptive, amongst others -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244427

Pat Isaac
11-03-2005, 07:54 AM

Looking good, Cori. He's all snuggled into the quilt.

Pat

Pat Isaac
11-03-2005, 07:56 AM

Wow,this really came out wonderfully. What great light you acheived on the plate.

Pat

chookbrown
11-03-2005, 08:41 AM

Colleen,
Your final entry is so lovely. I did'nt want to get into soft pastels because of the dust they produce, but if this is the effect you can get...! WOW!

Hey Shells thank you!!! Yes they are messy but I love them!! :D:D

chookbrown
11-03-2005, 08:46 AM

Looking great Kat!!! Black ink.... what a great idea!!! Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Cheers, Colleen :D:D

chookbrown
11-03-2005, 08:47 AM

WOW.. Kim, love the colors in this one!!! Looking fab!!

chookbrown
11-03-2005, 08:49 AM

Looking grand so far Cori!!! :D:D

Colleen :D

chookbrown
11-03-2005, 08:50 AM

I LOVE THIS!! The colours are magical and the composition is nicely balanced... Really great job Kim!!! :clap: :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2005, 09:37 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51025

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/69949/tn_9169callas05.jpg

We'd rather have you participate in some fashion than not at all. When you get more time, you can always come back and go through the steps with another painting.

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51024

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/69949/tn_DSC00801.JPG

I think this is a great start to your painting - but I see you are unhappy with your colors. Why not pick out a limited palette to begin with, how about blue/yellow? The green in the stems would really pop out with the two complimentary colors.

I see you are working on Canson? Are you having problems filling in the texture of the paper? Have you tried a sanded paper - there might be less frustration.

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51012

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/41088/tn_items_1.jpg

Is this an old typewriter table? I'll bet it has wheels on it too - good use! I see you are using the cardboard for directed lighting - it certainly worked for your wonderful painting.

shells
11-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I've posted a final entry. Please do C&C.

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51026

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/completed/59858/tn_hawaii_final_image.jpg

Hi Shells! Good looking final entry - I know you had problems with the shell, but it came out well and it looks like that shell too.

I really would like to see you pump up the darks and lights in this - your reference photo really had great lighting - so go back and look at where your light source is coming from and pick a really pretty light cream and pop that in there on the shell for a start. Then look at your shadows and reflected light in the shadows.

Orchidacea
11-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks Colleen!!!

Orchidacea
11-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51012

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/41088/tn_items_1.jpg

Is this an old typewriter table? I'll bet it has wheels on it too - good use! I see you are using the cardboard for directed lighting - it certainly worked for your wonderful painting.

Oops, I missed a whole page! Yes, this is an old typewriter table, with wheels and drop leaves--there were two of them in my parents basement--isn't it great? I love it.

I didn't need to use my cardboard pieces for this painting, as the light source was the candle and one filtered spot directly on the front, for fill-in, but I left them there cuz they weren't in the way.

I got these cardboard panels as an alternative to the box idea. I found the box too confining. I have two additional panels, so I put one on the other side if needed and always one on the top, and use masking tape to fasten as needed. I have windows cut in all of them. When I do my next setup, I'll get a shot of my mighty halogen worklight--practically have to wear sunglasses when I use it, lol.

I'm so glad you like my painting. Thanks, Kat! (I am re-working the plate to make it a better circle--I kind of lost the original outline as I put on more and more color. I'll post it when I'm done.)

Orchidacea
11-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51026

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/completed/59858/tn_hawaii_final_image.jpg

Hi Shells,

You've done a nice job rendering all the different aspects of this piece! It's an interesting composition--I like that shell.

A couple of comments:

First, I'm having trouble understanding all the space beneath the shell and vase, with what appears to be a wood bar at the bottom. It may just be because the picture is hard to see on my monitor, but I think I'd like to see the shell and vase centered in the picture plane.

Squint really hard at your setup, and look at the colors in the glass. Don't think of the reflection of the shell as a reflection of the shell--look at how it really appears in the glass....I think you will see that it is darker than the shell, with possible some glare laying lightly over top of it. Same goes for the reflection of your tablecloth.

Also, as Kat said, you will be surprised at how much more exciting this piece will be if you punch up the darks and the highlights. One of the most interesting parts about your setup, to me, was that great highlight and spiny shadow on the shell, which has gotten a bit lost in your mid-value painting. If you take all the darks darker, and use a few touches of a very light lights in your highlights, you will recapture the drama of your very interesting setup. You're really close to having a great painting here!

SweetBabyJ
11-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=51024

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/956/progress/69949/tn_DSC00801.JPG

You said you want to use complementary colours and an Impressionistic style in this piece, so let me see if I can give you a few ideas of how to go about that. First: Realize the "blue" background" doesn't have to be "blue"- it only needs to be cool and medium to medium dark- so you could use a purple, a blue or a green very easily here. Best, though, would be to keep it fairly gray, so it doesn't compete with the colour which will be in the center of interest- the flowers. What you have to consider, is what hue you're going to use most in those flowers, then- and lean the background gray to its complement. For instance: If you use a gray blue, then in the flowers, you would be using oranges and peach-y hues- right? If you use a gray-green, your flowers would be sparked with pinks; if you used a lavender gray, then the flowers would be slightly yellow. Do you see how the idea works?

An Impressionistic style is achieved by focusing on edges of shapes- keeping the edges soft and "blurred". Sharp, hard edges are minimal, and usually found only right on the center of interest. In this case, pick the flower you wish to be "most important", and give only that one any sort of hard edges- and even then, be careful not to make it ALL hard-edged, or it will look fairly "cut-out" against the rest of the piece. All other edges should be soft, think of it as if the picture was slightly melted, so the edges of all the different things started to run together- and paint that way. Allow the background colour to overlap some places, and allow one flower's edges to "go outside the lines" a bit- you want the piece to look blurry, up close, but come into focus if you stand back.

Now, I took the photo, so I'm going to tell you the shortcomings of it: The lighting is too harsh. It has VERY interesting shadows because of that lighting, but the flowers- the center of interest- are "blown"- you cannot see the colour detail in the lightest areas. This means you're going to have to do a bit of making it up as you go along- understand the whitest areas of those flowers are the lightest, but not necessarily ALL white- use creams and very pale colours, and reserve white for just small highlights. Second: The shadows are too dark, and too hard-edged- they actually come forward because the eye wants the most detail to be closest, and those hard edges have more detail than the blown highlights of the flowers. This means you have to be careful to NOT allow the shadows to be so dark- make them only a step or three below the background colour in value (If your background colour is a medium, then make the shadows a medium dark). Third: The greens of the stem will dominate colour-wise if you let them, so don't let them. Don't by keeping the darker areas of them neutral dark (not black, certainly not purple) and by using greyed or olive-type greens with just hints- mere suggestions- of lighter spring greens for highlights.

This is a photo you really have to work *with*- you cannot simply "paint what you see". You have to know what it is you want to accomplish- be able to see that finished painting in your mind's eye, and use the photo ONLY as a reference- a guide. That way, you can paint the painting, not the photo.

You've got good form and values going, but you've got to pay a bit more attention to the complements and edges now to get the effect you want. Canson won't take many layers, so keep up that light touch, and make every stroke count, now.

Kathryn Wilson
11-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Julie, you explain things so much better than I can. Good post. I can see all these things in my mind, but to explain in writing is difficult for me. Hope you can stick around for more critiques and help - :)