PDA

View Full Version : Westie fur on velour WIP

LorraineG
10-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Hi, I was going to wait until I had a better reference photo to work from. I have never done a WIP before and have thrown myself in the deep end as the reference photo isn't clear!!!. I thought I would do this one, as white westies can be tricky. It is too tempting to dive in and use only white. So far I have not used any white at all. Just cream, grey and brown and pink for the ears.

I have read in several threads questions about if you can do crisp sharp lines on velour. I have taken one of my pastels (Faber Castells) and shown the different types of lines you can make with it. I break my pastel stick to about 1 1/2" so I can use the flat side and the tip, plus the side of the tip (if that makes sense).

I have also shown how using the same pastel stick, you can achieve different shades of the colour by using different pressures. (I know some of this you probably know, but I thought I would show it for those who haven't used velour and wanted to know).

No. 1 line is made from the very point of my pastel (pastel stick shown to the left, the sharp edge on my pastel stick has been created by using the flat side of my pastel near the tip a lot).

No. 2 line was made by using the side of the tip of the pastel

no's 3, 4, 5 have been made by using the side of the tip and by using different pressures the lines are different tones.

No. 6 is where I have used the side flat edge of my pastel stick with light pressure.

No. 7 is where I have done some pastel lines using some of the above and then draged the side of the pastel lightly over them. I call this my wash of colour. It is like in water colour when you put a wash over the top and the underneath still shows through. Velour is great for this.

Here is the first stage of my WIP. I have layed down undercolours using the different techniques mentioned above. I will be building up the painting in layers. No white has been used yet.

Rose Baggs
10-20-2005, 08:58 AM
This is going to be wonderful Lorraine. I've commented in the animal forum...and I'm here too...to double watch this wip!!! Thanks!!!

Orchidacea
10-20-2005, 09:06 AM
If anyone ever wants to do a WIP of a black Cairn terrier, I'll donate a photo of my dog! I'd sure love to do a painting of him, but it's beyond what I can manage at present!

LorraineG
10-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks Rose, Orchidacea,

Here is another update. I am building up the layers using the same technique. Not white pastel, just cream, browns and greys.

Orchidacea.....yes please I would love to see the photos of your black Cairn Terrier.

M Douglas
10-20-2005, 10:18 AM
This is going to be a great WIP Lorraine! I'll be in the front row watching.

Melodie :cat:

Orchidacea
10-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Oh great, Lorraine! I'll work on taking some good ones this weekend. I know you ahve some tips on your site for getting good pics. If you do a WIP, I can paint alongside and maybe get something decent! I just love this dog so much and really want to paint his portrait. I bought a piece of velour a couple weeks agao, but I've been focused on my still lifes and haven't touched it.

My dog hates having his picture taken...I will have to enlist my niece and maybe some bacon....

This Westie is going to be as beautiful as all your other work. Do you think you could post the pics within the body of your posts, instead of as attachments? I'm not sure what the policy is on this, but it makes it easier to follow along, at least for me.

Amazingreys
10-20-2005, 11:53 AM
This is going to be great! Thank you SO much for such a detailed beginning to this WIP/Demo. I love how you showed the different strokes/lines on velour. This beginner thanks you :)

Khadres
10-20-2005, 12:05 PM
YES! I've wanted to see something like this FOREVER! Thanks so much for showing us your techniques! And do they translate well to other types of paper? Just wondering... :D

Piper Ballou
10-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Yipppeeee, Lorraine you have made my day. I know it slows you down to take pictures and post as you go along but it is so much appreciated and I cannot begin to say the many thanks I will be pouring on you.

I have heard of several ways to transfer the drawing on the velour, one is draw the figure on drawing paper, then rub pastel on the backside and either draw on top of the figure or rub it ...I am not happy doing it this way and usually have a mess anyway and cannot get in the fine details needed. do you have any suggestions.

thanks for doing this
piper

LorraineG
10-20-2005, 04:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments,

Here is the next update. Building the layers up in the same way.

Usually I have put in the eyes by now, but the original photo the eyes are white because he was blind. Sadly he passed away a week or so after the photo was taken, so it is important I get him right for my client. She wants the eyes turned back to the colour they were when he was younger. So I have left them out for now so I can concentrate on getting the likeness for everything else. Then put the dark eyes in once I am happy with the likeness for the rest of the painting.

Orchidacea.....Yes, you will have to get someone to stand over your shoulder with some bacon, it works honest :)

Khadres...Thanks so much for showing us your techniques! And do they translate well to other types of paper? Just wondering.
Here are the same lines on the rough side of Canson with the same pastel stick. See the difference. With other pastel papers blending is needed. With velour layering is blending. Here is a sample. The top part is the velour and the bottom part is the Canson pastel paper.

Piper......I have heard of several ways to transfer the drawing on the velour, one is draw the figure on drawing paper, then rub pastel on the backside and either draw on top of the figure or rub it ...I am not happy doing it this way and usually have a mess anyway and cannot get in the fine details needed. do you have any suggestions.
Yes, I have heard of various ways and I guess it is whatever suits you best. To save me hours of time, I project the photo onto the velour, then with a very light pastel pencil I draw a outline and mark where the eyes, nose and mouth will go, very rough just enough to mark where everyting will be. Then I draw my own sketch freehand on top of that with a darker pastel pencil to get the likeness and then with a pastel, mark in where the dark areas will go.

chookbrown
10-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Lorraine I thoroughly enjoyed visiting your website and seeing all the gorgeous animals... Your work is wonderful and this one will be no exception.

Cheers for now,

Colleen :D:D

watergirl
10-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Looking forward to this!

Nicoclaus
10-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Looking forward to this!

Ditto, and it's looking cute already:)

LorraineG
10-21-2005, 06:36 AM
Thanks guys,

I have worked on it a little more. I am working on the eyes, nose and mouth. The eyes and mouth don't show much detail in the original photo so am guessing.

LorraineG
10-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi,

I think I am done. I found I started to fiddle, so time to put it in it's frame and stand it in my living room for a day. I always find once they are in a frame, things jump out if they are not right. Plus I like to see how it looks in different lighting.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Lorraine

watergirl
10-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Very helpful and beautiful result!

Dark_Shades
10-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Hi Lorraine....... he's well cute :) and they will surely love him ....

Yes, I have heard of various ways and I guess it is whatever suits you best. To save me hours of time, I project the photo onto the velour, then with a very light pastel pencil I draw a outline and mark where the eyes, nose and mouth will go, very rough just enough to mark where everyting will be. Then I draw my own sketch freehand on top of that with a darker pastel pencil to get the likeness and then with a pastel, mark in where the dark areas will go.

How do you do this Lorraine, have you a special projector?....... does it work for all sizes of supports?

What size is this little chap :)

LorraineG
10-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Thank you Watergirl and Dawn,

Hi Dawn, How do you do this Lorraine, have you a special projector?....... does it work for all sizes of supports?

What size is this little chap

Hubby bought a Super Prism projector for me for my birthday. It save hours of time. It takes photos size 7" x 7" possibly a little larger and can project up to 20 times bigger if I remember rightly. It is excellent. I have had it since April and I am impressed with it. As I work from clients photos it is ideal to use as the foundation. I like to just put faint marks of where everything will go. I like to sketch freehand on top of that to get the feel of the pet and the character. It saves hours of time.

I go freehand on normal pastel paper because they can be rubbed out/changed, but with velour you can't so you have to go with what you put down. Hence the magic projector :)

This little chaps frame size is 16" x 14" with a two inch mount, so the image area is 12" x 10".

I am going to show the client tomorrow.

Dark_Shades
10-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Excellent Lorraine.......... are the projectors very expensive?

Rest assured....... they will love him to bits

LorraineG
10-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi Dawn,

The Super Prism is between 250-300 depending which company is selling it. My husband found someone that sold it nearer to the cheaper price. I can look up their website from the invoice if you would like? But I know there are lots of other types of projectors that are cheaper nearer the 100 that do a good job.

I am going to drop hints for christmas for the stand for it. I prop it on top of books at the moment ;)

Natalie NZ
10-21-2005, 05:29 PM
So gorgeous - would love to cuddle.

Orchidacea
10-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Oh, Lorraine, he's just precious! Does that wet nose smear up the glass on your frame?

Khadres
10-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Fabulous. This little guy is full of personality. Gorgeous job!

Merethe T
10-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Wonderful painting, you've really managed to show his personality! Always interesting to see how other artists work, thanks for the WIP. Great job! :)

Nancy Leone
10-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the WIP! He's cute.

LorraineG
10-22-2005, 12:17 PM
I'd like to thank you all for your wonderful comments. :)

It was my first WIP, bit nerve racking, in case it went wrong!!!!. I will do another one soon that has eye detail.

Lorraine

khourianya
10-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Such a sweet painting. So full of life and personality. Feel complimented when they cry the first time they see it.

loridebruijn
03-15-2008, 02:49 PM
I sure wish I could figure out how you do that, cause I sure can't, not yet, anyway. I only hope that someday I can paint like that.

It is absolutely wonderful.