PDA

View Full Version : Highlights

Pesmay
01-21-2002, 11:02 AM
When I try to add highlights to my paintings ... or painting very light areas ...
how do I keep the highlights looking warm ....
I'm trying to give the impression of warm light ... the cool highlights look wrong ....:cat:

RWeller
01-21-2002, 01:20 PM
I'd try using colors like a light orange or yellow, etc.

light
01-21-2002, 09:15 PM
I agree. Use yellow and oranges. Don't use whites. White is cold. When you put a very light yellow into your forground it looks like it is coming to you, more so than a white would. You can always put white down to make a very light area but then lightly add yellow or orange to the white area.

I learned this from Donald Putman, a very wonderful pastel artist.
:D

4vincent
01-22-2002, 08:24 AM
One way to accentuate the warmth of the lights is to
exaggerate the coolness of the shadow areas next to them. Ken

djstar
01-22-2002, 09:32 PM
One thing to remember, is that you really don't need white.
The coolest thing about pastel is how it can blend all over the place.
If you use rich Light colors and key the whole picture darker around it, you will have bright colorful lights.
In a workshop, that was a really cool trick. Pick a color that will be the lightest color you use on say, skin in the light. Then pick a spot rather nearby, say the dark behind the ear in the hair, and pick a color to be your darkest dark.
Then only use colors that fall BETWEEN them.
You can use a really dark as your lightest light and not have many steps on the gray scale between them, as long as you stick to your rules. You can use bright orange if you want, and it will still be very light if you organize the picture around it.
(maybe too theoreticall right now, but just keep it in the back of your mind...)
dj*