PDA

View Full Version : SND - Greencook

greencook
01-21-2002, 09:57 AM
OK, after fighting with my ISP and the scanner from hell I've finally got this posted.
Overall, I was pretty pleased with the results. The perspective of the left hand background is off. Should have started with the inside edge vs the outside. Live and learn.
Any critiques, positive or negative always welcome.

Thanks and have a great day!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2002/SND_1-20-2002.GIF

baquitania
01-21-2002, 10:09 AM
Greencook:

I was worried you couldn't make it :( ... Negative: well Horus looks like he's wearing glasses... no I'm just kidding... Positive: it's got good tonal seperation, I see the Bird come forward because of the darks you have behind it on either side... I am glad you are happy with it, then we accomplished what we set out to do last night. Is this your scanner creating the speckles or the paper? It looks like snowing falling, which is impossible right in that part of the world? I think Saau would know...

Glad to have found the gods of the web let you add another to our count... Good work, and look out we got 2 garaunteed ones for the 26th at 3pm and the 1st of Feb, at what time I am not sure yet... I wanna see how you guys like Saturday afternoon first...

I do have a question also for everyone... was the medium you chose because of the word Drawing in the thread, or is this the medium you prefer whatever you used? And what would make you try another?... answer if you've got time ;)

Bobby

dnip24
01-21-2002, 11:55 AM
pretty cool!

pencils4me
01-21-2002, 03:08 PM
Hey Greencook - don't let Bobby fool ya... he had the switch flipped ... ;) LOL made it real hard for me too!!

What kind of scanner did you say you had? One from Hell? LOL me too!!

Anyway... live and learn, thats what these sessions are for! Bobby has brought up some good points, I for one would never have drawn statues before........ready for another? ????

TJ

mebucko
01-21-2002, 03:18 PM
Hey greenCook!
I should've known you'd pick the bird sculpture! I love it, I think that you handled it really well, had Bobby not said that thing about the glasses, I might not have seen it, but it kind'a does, which is to say, how do we know that he didn't take off his glasses while they were sculpting his likeness, were weren't there, you know! It does have a good depth, and I think that you are getting the shading down better, not that you had it down bad, but just better... The little white specks (in this scan) makes it look like stone to me! Good job!
Randy

kitaye
01-21-2002, 06:15 PM
I love the way you shadowed the statue. I also like the texture of the paper coming through the shading. That is textured paper right?

Originally posted by baquitania
Greencook:

I do have a question also for everyone... was the medium you chose because of the word Drawing in the thread, or is this the medium you prefer whatever you used? And what would make you try another?... answer if you've got time ;)

Bobby

I chose my mediums, both this week and last, due to time constraints. I'm using these exercises to develop my speed drawing. This week I used a pencil to block in the piece then used coloured pencil because I had the extra time. I have given though to using a sepia washtosketch with but I'm a coward.

Caron
01-21-2002, 06:22 PM
Greencook-what can be said that hasnt been said! Great job-the variations in shadow give it depth and the speckles from the paper really add texture to it..
Hey! We must have been trying to use the same scanner-I couldnt get mine loaded till this morning!!
Caron

ZOTMA
01-21-2002, 06:27 PM
great tones, very solid sculpture and there's a real cold feel to this stone (the cool sun glasses help, just kiddin)
good development of the environment

addphan
01-21-2002, 07:28 PM
hey greencock,

nice drawing...the texture of the stone is just that, it LOOKS like stone...well done.

andy

greencook
01-21-2002, 07:42 PM
Thank you everyone for your encouraging posts. And yes, I even thought Horus had sunglasses on! :D
By the time I noticed them I had already become disgusted with fighting the left hand background architecture, and I knew better than to try fussing with it. I was nearly out of time by then too. Unfortunately, I can't take credit for the speckled effect. That was compliments of the demonic scanner. :evil:
Most of the rendering was done with my good 'ol mechanical pencil. The darker values came from a 4B Charcoal pencil. I blended all with a dirty blending stump. The paper is 80# Strathmore drawing paper.
Thanks again and I look forward to joining all of you on our next drawing night.

Have a great day! :)

Shelley
01-21-2002, 07:56 PM
ok hoping i got the right post this time!!...(posted to this one on a wrong string)...see how my days going? anyway!!!...wanted to tell you that i think its great...do you ever do a bad drawing? geezz...interesting we choose the same one huh?....its great...you captured what i couldnt...good job

Shelley