PDA

View Full Version : Guadalajara Cathedral Scratchboard

TrickyV
10-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Years ago I shot this picture of the cathedral in a slide. After much fooling around to convert to a print for the reference and then to the scratchboard.
Done on an 8" x 10" Clayboard. I know , I see lots of errors but I just don't have the heart to do it over again. Maybe some day....Victor http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2005/62776-Guadalajara__Cathedral_resize.jpg

Mary Woodul
10-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Victor, I think it is gorgeous and I love the effect of the light.

Jakeally
10-20-2005, 09:30 AM
I love the effect you have here Victor. So different from any other scratching I've seen. Very good tonal values throughout.
Very, very nice indeed :clap: :clap:

Trilby
10-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Well, we seem to have a case of the disappearing post. I know I posted here---oh well, here goes again: What flaws? I sure don't see any/ methinks you must be some perfectionist because this is just exquisite. I especially like the clean areas of clayboard that render stark sunight. The sun struck, strongly shadowed effects are wonderful. I also like that you framed it through the arch. My only thought would be to grey the lit side of that foremost step or curb. It catches the eye too much. perhaps a dilute wash of black ink to just tone it down a smidge. Otherwise you have handeled this very complex piece masterfully.
TJ

SplatteredMan
10-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Been gone for a while lurking in the background. Trying hard to finish getting the house on the market. Lots of little things that need finishing before I can sell.

Victor - Beautiful piece. I have always wanted to try scratchboard, just never had the nerve. This is wonderful - the "flaws" you speak of are not visible to me. The only problem is the curb TJ spoke of - but hay! what do I know?

Truely nice

Danny

lisilk
10-22-2005, 03:47 AM
It is a gorgeous piece Victor. I've never seen such clean sharp lines and light in scratchboard. I agree about the curb and to me the lamp post needs a bit of dark on the left side and bottom. The perspective is right on. The most beautiful part is that curve of light in that lower wall, it just wraps around the building so nicely. Look forward to seeing more!

Li

Trilby
10-23-2005, 01:10 AM
Indeed, those clear whites and sharp lines with no greys between the whites and the dark edges. Will you tell us how you get such clean white areas.
TJ

TrickyV
10-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Mary..Chris..TJ..Danny..Li......Oh such kind words and so much appreciated. I agree that the step on the left was too bright and I did tone it down a bit.

TJ...Of coarse, I have no secrets. I make my own scrapers out of the break away blades as in the picture. The ones on the lower left are the reground ones to fit into the holder. Some are designed for fitting into small or tight spaces and the wide one of coarse are to create large expanse of white. As you know these blades are super sharp and do make a very smooth scrape. As far as the nice edge between black and white these old shaky hands could never do it free hand so I use a plastic square that has an undercut as a guide. I hope this answers you question. Any other non-secret things I can reveil I will be only too happy to devulge....Victor :wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2005/62776-Picture_030_resize.jpg

Trilby
10-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Victor, thankyou for sharing; now how do you make those scrapers? and what is a break away blade?
TJ

TrickyV
10-24-2005, 12:16 PM
TJ............OK I'll try...........Firstly this is a break away knife the can be bought at any hardware store. They are extreemly sharp and are used for cutting anything from lino to cardboard or what have you. If you look closely I hope you can see the marks on the blade which are score marks that enable you to break a peice of the blade off. Thus you now have a new sharp point. Use two pair of pliers to do this . What I have done is use one section with the use of an electric grinder, grind down the unsharp end to make a tang to fit into a holder. Please...if you need more help then let me know. I'll keep trying till I get it right............Victor :wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2005/62776-Picture_resize.jpg

valchina612
10-24-2005, 11:38 PM
Victor, this is so beautifully done. Wonderful clean sharp lines and great tonal value. You really are such a professional with your scratchwork.
Super work. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

yogi
10-25-2005, 10:01 AM
I'd seen a breakaway blade in the hardware store, but didn't know its use. You've made a good use of it. I don't know what errors you see in your artwork, as AZtrillium also mentioned being unable to see, but I also think it is awesome with the contrasts.

TrickyV
10-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Val...Thanks Val, that's pretty high prase especially coming from you. :wave:

Yogi...Thank you . I thought the stark contrast lended well to scatchboard.
I have just finished another one and will post soon.,,,,Victor :wave:

Trilby
10-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Victor, thankyou for taking the time to educate me about breakaway knives, I must buy some of those. I have a bench grinder that I have never used. I imagine that would be just the ticket for shaping a scraper tang.
TJ

TrickyV
10-30-2005, 01:05 AM
YJ...GO FOR IT !!!!! Good luck.....Just howl if you need any more info....Victor :)

pampe
10-30-2005, 09:43 AM
stunning!!