PDA

View Full Version : Doug Dawson

impressionist2
01-21-2002, 08:27 AM
One of my earliest inspirations was Doug Dawson. Haven't had the privilege of taking a WS with him, but have heard great things from those who have.Have any of you taken a WS with him?

Btw, I am looking to buy his book,
Capturing Light & Color With Pastel from anyone with a copy in good to excellent condition with all the plates intact.If you have one available, please PM me.

Renee

djstar
01-23-2002, 12:08 AM
Just have a story.
Sally Strand's parents were friends of Doug's.
She said she would hang out there as a kid all the time.
When she grew up she went to art school and became a watercolorist. Which did not satisfy her so she stuck pastels over it and now she is MY role model (ok, so I am OLDER than her, but we will let that go) and I don't think she ever took a workshop from him either!!1
You know, he hangs out in Denver... I left there.
I think I may have to see if my long johns are full of moths. They (well Mr. Levine) started it long after I fled south!
Check out the Denver Art Student's League too!
dj*
(I checked and he skipped Scottsdale this year, apparently...although SALLY AND LESLIE DE MILLE are the same week... pastel is such a step child of the arts! No respect!)

impressionist2
01-23-2002, 08:32 AM
DJ, New York always gets the buzz on being the happening place for artists. Yes, maybe after you've arrived ( whatever that means) but not in the training phase.

Everyone I respect and would Love to take class with has moved west!

If I had a dollar for every fabulous teacher and artist that has passed through this area, I'd be flat broke! The teachers around here usually just teach, and don't paint anymore! :rolleyes:

Keep dropping those names, ya little brat! :D

Renee, turning green

4vincent
01-26-2002, 02:28 PM
Renee,

I had taking a workshop with Doug Dawson a few years back
and found to be a warm down to earth person. Although I have come away with more at other ws, nevertheless his was very informative.

As far a his book, he might be able to let you know where to get a copy. I bought one from him at the ws.
He can be reached at [email protected] I'm sure he won't mind . Ken

LDianeJohnson
01-28-2002, 10:52 PM
I studied with Doug during a workshop several years back. His book is well worth reading and referring to.

impressionist2
01-29-2002, 09:37 PM
Ken, Thank you. I just wrote to him. Will let you know what happens. Rose Queen also located a copy down under ( Australia).

Diane, I know. I keep borrowing the library's version.

Btw, Mario posted a couple of really good Dawson images in the portrait forum in the thread "Pushing The Envelope".

Renee

Shari
02-06-2002, 02:47 AM
Hi,

I just saw Doug Dawson's book in my local art store and I also was able to get it on Amazon.Com used. Try Amazon.com and if you can't get it there, write to me and I can tell you where to call and have them send it; The store that has it here is called Central Art Supply in Medford, Oregon. Good luck.

Shari

djstar
02-08-2002, 10:17 PM
Dawson's workshop at the Artist's School is the week of March 25th and it is still open. the schools page (http://www.scottsdaleartschool.org/workshops.html)
It is $450.
NOW, I ain't saying I have the time to take off, but I just got $250 in tuition to spend over there....
If you wanted a nice little vacation, you should call the School and come down for a week.
They still have one or two of Milts pix in the gallery downtown(I bet they would haul them out for us....)
I will check in tomorrow and see how many chairs are open.
huh?
wanna????
dj* :D

Shari
02-16-2002, 02:13 AM
Renee,

I have a copy of Doug Dawson's book you can buy from me. I just bought it on Amazon.com, it is used, as it is no longer in print. The only problem is, the book obviously came from a household where there is smoke and I am very allergic to cigarette smoke. I aired out the book for days, but I am so sensitive I can still smell it. They told me to try putting the book in a cooler with baking soda but that is too much trouble for me, so if you want the book, let me know, I think I paid about $22 with shipping.

Shari ([email protected])