PDA

View Full Version : Croatian Harbour WIP

scribblet
10-19-2005, 10:30 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=21473&si=croatia%20harbour

Another one from this ref. pic which is a low resolution so my printout was not too good, poor excuse I know, I'm not happy with it. I tried pen and ink on the brick work but its too heavy. Any ideas on how to rescue this, or should I bother :)-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2005/46564-Europeold.jpg

many thanks
Kathy

seedy
10-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Hi Kathy....
Yes, you should bother....if only for the experience.

I've been fooling around with notion of *doing* the shadow areas as tho' they where in normal light and the areas in the sun or light as being washed out or over exposed.

Try putting in some more bricks in the shadow areas in the inked bricks...not to dark....maybe use a watered down FU....
The same in the shadow of the boat, which (I'm guessing) is now yellow ochre?
Use any colour but try the same blue and vary the intensity in the areas you have drawn...the boxy things.....
Last, but not least, try a hint of the reflections from the dark lines on the boat.....just a hint is all.
I find this a neat dwg and very artistically done.
Maybe Peggys Cove for the next one?

laudesan
10-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Brian has given excellent well thought out suggestions here.

I relly like what you have done so far, adn look forwrd to seeing your revisions..:)

Redwine
10-19-2005, 11:36 PM
I agree, you should bother! It looks like a nice begining and I'm sure you could push it further just to see where it goes. Hope to see more on this one.

Heather

mustcreate
10-20-2005, 11:04 AM
see that little bit of brick wall on the middle center? see how some of the bricks have differing values and tones? try doing some of that to the rest of the walls. not necessarily the exact same colours or patterns but more variation in the bricks will help soften the inked look.

really pretty colours in the water....how about another wash in there?

some darks in the boat interior will give this more depth

to me it looks like it's almost done....

em

CharM
10-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi Kathy... really good advice from Em and Brian... and I agree wholeheartedly with Brian about finishing it... frankly, with a little more tweaking, it will be lovely... but even if you feel it's not one of your best, the learning experience will make it worth your time! Keep going...

scribblet
10-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Hi Kathy....
Yes, you should bother....if only for the experience.

I've been fooling around with notion of *doing* the shadow areas as tho' they where in normal light and the areas in the sun or light as being washed out or over exposed.

Try putting in some more bricks in the shadow areas in the inked bricks...not to dark....maybe use a watered down FU....
The same in the shadow of the boat, which (I'm guessing) is now yellow ochre?
Use any colour but try the same blue and vary the intensity in the areas you have drawn...the boxy things.....
Last, but not least, try a hint of the reflections from the dark lines on the boat.....just a hint is all.
I find this a neat dwg and very artistically done.
Maybe Peggys Cove for the next one?

If I can find a Peggy's Cove I wouldn't mind having a crack at it, I'm printing out photos and line drawings to take south with me. (no printer in the trailer, just my laptop) and dialup so not on line as much.

Thanks for all your comments, I added some more darks but I still don't like it
Do I need more blue ? .

I didn't use any yellow ochre in it, mainly raw sienna, BU and some Quin Gold (plus blues of course and napthol red mixed with some BU for the roof )

Kathy http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2005/46564-Croationharbourscan2.jpg.jpg

laudesan
10-23-2005, 07:56 PM
I think it needs a light wash of purple on those shadows..;)

scribblet
10-24-2005, 09:00 AM
I think it needs a light wash of purple on those shadows..;)
Gee never thought of that, maybe I'll try it :D

cheers

jaytee
10-25-2005, 04:52 PM
I liked the way this piece was going.......... I think by intensifying the colours you ahve started to giv the painting depth and bringing out the interesting architectural planes in it. but IMO not quite consistently......... compare the very dark rectangles on the house on the left - its windows and lower wall with those of the middle house with empty vacous windows and the wall on teh right hand house......... also what is the dark shadow indicating on the upper wall of the middle house.

I dont think you always have to stick to reality ... as long as what you are doing to the contrasting shapes hang together in an abstract kind of way, but for me this is neither quite real or quite abstract enough :) Stop and think for a moment where your light is coming from and imaginete effect applied to the different planes........also I feel the dark blue on the boat still cries out for a reflection...........

Experiment away with this... you can always have another go at the subject using what you have learneds it s an extremely attractive composition:)

seedy
10-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Darn...
Too heavy in the shadows. I said just a touch ;-)
However I think you can pull this off....if you listen.....
Would it take forever to darken the inside of the boat....and just a touch of the boat reflection in the water....
C'mon sweety...do it.....should take you about 5 mins....max....do it....now ;-)

scribblet
10-26-2005, 08:44 AM
I liked the way this piece was going.......... I think by intensifying the colours you ahve started to giv the painting depth and bringing out the interesting architectural planes in it. but IMO not quite consistently......... compare the very dark rectangles on the house on the left - its windows and lower wall with those of the middle house with empty vacous windows and the wall on teh right hand house......... also what is the dark shadow indicating on the upper wall of the middle house.

I dont think you always have to stick to reality ... as long as what you are doing to the contrasting shapes hang together in an abstract kind of way, but for me this is neither quite real or quite abstract enough :) Stop and think for a moment where your light is coming from and imaginete effect applied to the different planes........also I feel the dark blue on the boat still cries out for a reflection...........

Experiment away with this... you can always have another go at the subject using what you have learneds it s an extremely attractive composition:)

Might have another go at it it later :)- the shadow on the upper wall of the middle house is in the picture http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=21473&si=croatia%20harbour

maybe I should leave it off next time.

cheers
Kathy

scribblet
10-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Darn...
Too heavy in the shadows. I said just a touch ;-)
However I think you can pull this off....if you listen.....
Would it take forever to darken the inside of the boat....and just a touch of the boat reflection in the water....
C'mon sweety...do it.....should take you about 5 mins....max....do it....now ;-)
I know I know, over did it. I could do that, will try :)- then will have another go at it later.

thanks heaps I appreciate this a lot.

Kathy