PDA

View Full Version : Wisemen

Redwine
10-18-2005, 09:32 PM
My current WIP. This is an approx. 8x11in. on 140# CP with M. Graham paints. Refrence image from the library posted by baba (thank you, baba).

This is my sketch. I drew it last night and transferred it on to my paper with Saral graphite paper. I used a red colored pencil to help me keep track of where I had already been.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2005/63994-3_wisemen_sketch.jpg

This is all the painting was able to squeeze in for today. (they still have some masking fluid on their faces)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2005/63994-3_wisemen.jpg

Thanks for looking and C&C always welcome.
Heather

Nandie
10-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Looking very interesting so far...... I love the feet on the man in front!!

Keep going....... :)

Tunek
10-19-2005, 02:36 AM
wow...looking great! :clap:

laudesan
10-19-2005, 03:37 AM
Looking goooooooooood!!!

Pulling up a chair..

robynsin
10-19-2005, 05:28 AM
Looking wonderful, Heather. Will be back for the finish.

robyn

seedy
10-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Hi Heather....
Always interesting to see what other artists do.....such as using a red pencil to show where you've been.....
I use a large sheet when I do those prelim's just in case the painting doe'nt work, I can just retrace....in red, then in green then in black....and then I pitch it out.:-)

I can see from your excellent start that you won't have to do it again....

Redwine
10-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Nandie- thank you. I am very happy with the way the feet turned out; they were giving me trouble in the drawing stage. So I wasn't sure how they were going to come out.

Tunek, JJ, and Robyn- Thanks for looking in!

Seedy- Good thing for me to remember with the other colors in case I need to do this again. I really wasn't thinking much past getting it all onto the paper.

Here is today's progress. Not much, as you can see. I think I need to do some BG work before I go any further with guys. I have a bad habit of leaving the BG until the end and I think I'm making it harder on my self this way. I think I will just hint at some water and rocks and try not to get over detailed. We'll see where it goes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2005/63994-3_wisemen_1.jpg

Thanks for looking in :wave: Heather

RobS
10-20-2005, 02:08 AM
wow Heather looks really good so far :clap: , love the feet and hands...
can't wait....
Rob

CharM
10-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Hi Heather... what a beautiful composition!!! I like that orange bit...

Redwine
10-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Rob & Char, thanks for looking in and commenting.

I got a little more done yesterday. I was too pooped to post last night so here it is now. Next I'm going to start putting some shadows in, define a few things and finish up the sleeping guy in the back. The dot on the front guys forehead showed up huge and more defined in the scan than it is IRL. I may go back and soften that up a bit. I will try and post the progress this evening.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2005/63994-3_wisemen2.jpg

C&C, suggestions are welcomed. Thanks. Heather

laudesan
10-21-2005, 07:03 PM
This is coming along beautifully..

Redwine
10-21-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks JJ. Glad you checked in. :)

I think I'm pretty much done with it. I see a few things that I might tweak here and there. Any thoughts? Did I miss anything?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2005/63994-3_wisemen3.jpg

Heather :wave:

laudesan
10-22-2005, 12:00 AM
This is a good finish. I kinda like the cut off sleeping man, usually I don't like that, it tends to spoil the scene, butr in this case I think it adds mystery..

pampe
10-22-2005, 06:37 PM
beautifully done, Heather

LOVE the FEET

seedy
10-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Hi.../
Lots of pleasing colours.....good comp...and what is always hard to do, hands and feet....
Just fined that the eyebrows are just a touch too light
Well done

hopefulbucky
10-22-2005, 09:28 PM
WOW Heather this is just awesome. I love how you have done this. As has been said feet and hands are wonderful. One gets the feeling of the gauntness of these men from the feet and hands. I love the washy feeling of it, hints of things here and there. You are definitely going to be ready for a show soon.

Redwine
10-22-2005, 10:43 PM
JJ, thanks.

Pam, thanks for looking in and commenting.

Brian, I'm not sure which guys eyebrows you are referring to; I'm assuming the white haired one? I will keep it in mind when I do the final touch ups. Thank you for commenting.

Judy, thanks for looking in and commenting. A show:confused: :eek: :confused: !!! I wouldn't even know where to begin to make that happen..... I am so clueless:o . But I take that statement as a wonderful compliment, thank you.

Heather

Nandie
10-24-2005, 02:01 AM
Awesome!!!!

My only nit is that the guy in front looks a bit "cut out" as he is surrounded by hard edges giving him an "outlined" look. I would soften some of those edges - especially around the shoulder areas and outlines of his feet - to make him more at home in his surroundings. His white hair already blends nicely! Otherwise this is a great painting!