PDA

View Full Version : Katrina in Scratchart XP in portrait

Trilby
10-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Hi all. The photo model is from the ref. library. I can't find it again to know who took it. If you recognize it and know the photographer please let me know. This is my editorial/social commentary on the hurricanes. part of a planned series. The next one is to be a jazz street musican in the forefront with a group raising the wall of a house.
In addition to encouraging critique and comments on the artwork, I would like to know about what it evokes for you, your emotional response.
TJ
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2005/58664-Copy_of_HPIM3420.JPG

A closer up crop
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2005/58664-File0011.jpg

lisilk
10-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Hi TJ,

This is quite stunning, your light, shadow and expression are right on the mark. Personally I got a little teary because my father was missing in New Orleans ( in the 9th ward, the one that kept flooding,) for two weeks. It was a terrible time for a lot of people. He's okay but this reminds me of how much went wrong for so many many reasons. My dad is white but poor and lived in a very poverty sticken neighborhood.

Beautifully done.

Li

Mary Woodul
10-18-2005, 05:01 PM
TJ this is a great one from you, although all have been good. The expression on the woman says everything and you couldn't make it a more somber moment. Very good!

Patty Brown
10-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Tj this is very heart warming like Mary said the expression says it all, and I especially like how you put the flag over her head making it look as if it were her hair. Nicely done...
Li I'am so glad your father is safe also, what a tragedy this was. I still am praying for those who suffered so much...

Trilby
10-19-2005, 04:45 AM
Li, I am grateful your father made it through OK. Where is he now? That must have been so terrifying for him,you and your whole family. I am glad to know that this art piece resonates with that experience.
Mary, Patty, thankyou both so much. The series will also depict hope and rebirth, but I felt had to start at the beginning.
TJ

lisilk
10-19-2005, 11:43 AM
I am grateful too TJ. We just heard that he returned to New Orleans 2 days ago after staying with friends in Florida.

There are thousands of stories like his, many with more tragic endings.

I think your series will be a fitting tribute to them.

Li

Jakeally
10-20-2005, 09:15 AM
This is a remarkable piece TJ. So beautifully executed and full of emotion. Words that come to mind ... Fear, uncertainty, anguish, loss, relief. You captured all these and more in her face. Congratulations :clap: :clap:

Trilby
10-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Thank you again, Li, I'm already working up the layout for another in the series. As I do I will think of your family.
Chris I appreciate your giving your emotional response. It helps me know the track I'm taking works. Thankyou.
TJ