PDA

View Full Version : OCTOBER CLASSROOM PART II: More Glazing!

maverick
10-17-2005, 09:16 PM
I've made the second part of this class a separate thread to make it easier to keep track of the posts.

It's apparent that most of you are interested in glazing and not so much my "scrubbing" technique (which works great on bathroom tiles by the way).

Some of you may have wondered if glazing would be useful on something that wasn't smooth and shiny, so I chose this seasonal "vegetable"--a decorative gourd. It has everything you would want...texture, shape, and abstract color patterns.

I set this up in my still life "stage", which is basically a box I made out of scrap plywood. One end is made from cardboard and it has a small cutout window that I shine a light through. I had a big cardboard box I used before, but then we moved to a new house. I think my sports card collection is in it now...

Right...anyhoo...on to the painting!

I have two reference photos that I used. One is the actual shot and the other had it's contrast adjusted in PhotoShop. My painting will be somewhere in between.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2005/10671-gourd_ref_1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2005/10671-gourd_ref_2.jpg

This was a treat to paint. There isn't as many steps and the glazing is straightforward.

Join in the fun at your leisure!

Dewi
10-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Beautiful and looks difficult but going to be your obedient pupil Mark. I'm interested in scrubbing too that apple I've been following every steps only of course not the same colour (some I don't have) and different hand :) Took pic.of apple after some more layers as your advice but why I don't know photo became blur maybe not enough light. Thanks again and looking forward for this lesson too Mark.

maverick
10-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Glad to have you Dewi.

I thought I would post my drawing before I leave for work this morning. Every spare moment is utilized these days...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2005/10671-gourd_drawing.JPG

Charlie's Mum
10-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Cheers Mr. M! - I was just about to start some leaves, but I'll follow along here ...... and maybe still do the leaves in between times ;)

Lady Carol
10-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Hey cool. Another lesson. Not that I have quite finished the last but will keep one eye on this and the other on the apple.

maverick
10-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Maureen, I thought about doing some leaves, but found this gourd my wife got for me.

Carol...this one doesn't have as many steps. I think it will be easier to follow.

jbitzel
10-18-2005, 03:56 PM
It sucks that I am going on vacation, I want to try the apple when I get back though...

maverick
10-18-2005, 04:47 PM
It sucks that I am going on vacation

:confused:

I guess you could take your paints and a laptop computer with you!

Ceccy
10-19-2005, 11:06 AM
I'll give it a try. What size of canvas are you using? Is a 16" X 20" OK? Any other materials needed? Thank you for the learning opportunity. :)
I don't understand why my image doesn't get uploaded. Help anyone?

Charlie's Mum
10-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Ceccy - hi :wave:
Welcome to the forum and the Classroom :D

There's a link in my signature for uploading images - try following it for good information :D

And any size canvas is OK - no rules!

maverick
10-19-2005, 01:28 PM
I'll give it a try. What size of canvas are you using? Is a 16" X 20" OK? Any other materials needed? Thank you for the learning opportunity. :)
I don't understand why my image doesn't get uploaded. Help anyone?

Welcome Ceccy! Mine is 8x10, but there's no reason for you to limit yourself to that size.

Materials are pretty simple: acrylic paint, some brushes for painting large areas, and a couple for detail (I'm using mostly synthetic on this one...filbert and round)

Ceccy
10-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Thank you both Mum and Mav. :wave: I've been trying to upload my image and it doesn't work. I followed all your instructive thread Mum but... Oh well. :confused: I already sent an email to support. I'm waiting for a reply. I'm looking forward to working on this painting. :D

Ceccy
10-19-2005, 03:42 PM
If at first you can't upload.... try again! ;)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2005/7446-Calabaza_2.jpg[/IMG]
Hopefully this will work?

Charlie's Mum
10-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Success! Something worked Ceccy :D
And now you're ready for the next stage ;)

maverick
10-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Nice start Ceccy! I think this is an indication of things to come!

I'll get the next stage posted tonight when I get home...

maverick
10-19-2005, 08:44 PM
All right, here's the next stage--the underpainting. This is a step I seldom skip anymore. The better the underpainting, the better the outcome, at least for me.

This is just Burnt Umber straight from the tube with some water.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2005/10671-gourd_underpainting.JPG

maverick
10-19-2005, 08:52 PM
The first glaze of color on the gourd was primary yellow. The backround and foreground have a glaze of Arylide Yellow Deep (including the shadow)

Do you notice there are at least 4 or 5 different colors now? I haven't used green, yet there it is.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2005/10671-gourd_3.JPG

maverick
10-19-2005, 09:00 PM
I forgot to mention that I'm using Golden Acrylic Glazing Liquid on everything after the underpainting stage.

Here I have glazed some Naphthol Red Medium (any medium red will do) to the background, foreground (including the shadow) and the shadow side of the gourd (except for the highlighted ridge).

It's starting to look like something, and there are only a couple of steps left! It looks complicated, but it's easier than the apple I showed you how to do in the other thread.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2005/10671-gourd_4.JPG

maverick
10-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Sorry for the poor photos, but I don't paint in daylight anymore because of the shorter days.

I've now started to build up the highlights with various yellows, straight from the tube, and a bit of white, and I've glazed more Arylide Yellow Deep to the foreground (not the shadow). I also glazed more red and some Arylide Yellow Deep to the shadow side of the gourd.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2005/10671-gourd_5.JPG

maverick
10-19-2005, 09:10 PM
This should give you plenty of homework!

Until next time...

firehorse6646927
10-20-2005, 03:37 AM
Maverick, this looks great already! I think I'll sit back and watch this one though, partly because I'm still working on the apple but mainly because nobody round here would know what a gourd was! :D

hudsonkm
10-20-2005, 10:33 AM
It's me again. Maybe I could get a picture of the brushes on this thread. Thanks I am learning so much!!!

Charlie's Mum
10-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks Mav!

Marianne - I bought some decorative gourds today in Sainsbury's - do you have a store near you? A bag of 3 cost 1.64, and - get this Mav - they're from Canada! :D

We can grow them here - when you can buy the seeds, not always easy to get though.

I'll be joining in as soon as I've finished some other painting I'm doing - trying to finish my postcards for the Exchange project before the year is up! :eek:

Ceccy
10-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Homework fase 1
The picture is not good and the paint is still a little wet. I guess I have to wait for it to set a bit before glazing. I'm having fun! :D

I don't understand why I can't upload my image!!! :crying:

I'll try the attachment again. It's not the same though.

rickymanchester
10-20-2005, 01:24 PM
I think someone's been following this months classes :D

Duane (http://www.duanekeiser.com/index.htm)

Ceccy
10-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Homework done? Stages 2, 3, & 4
Does it look as it should? This is my first time with glazes and I'm not sure I'm doing it right. This poor gourd looks soooo lonely...

maverick
10-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Maverick, this looks great already! I think I'll sit back and watch this one though, partly because I'm still working on the apple but mainly because nobody round here would know what a gourd was! :D

Use my reference photo and join in. Then you can find a real one and paint it later.

maverick
10-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks Mav!

Marianne - I bought some decorative gourds today in Sainsbury's - do you have a store near you? A bag of 3 cost 1.64, and - get this Mav - they're from Canada! :D

We can grow them here - when you can buy the seeds, not always easy to get though.

I'll be joining in as soon as I've finished some other painting I'm doing - trying to finish my postcards for the Exchange project before the year is up! :eek:

Only available in Canada? Pity! (...from an old Red Rose Tea commerical on the telly!)

There's lots of room in the class. It's just Ceccy and me so far! What happened to Dewi?

maverick
10-20-2005, 07:35 PM
This is fantastic Ceccy!

Here's the next stage.

I've glazed some Payne's Gray at the top and worked on the green patterns on the gourd using Sap Green (Sap Green and Yellow in the lighter areas). Some Yellow and Sap Green were glazed into the shadow also, and I glazed Payne's Gray under the gourd which is the gourd's reflection in the shadow. The foreground has Red, Yellow and White glazed (or you could use Naples Yellow which is basically the same thing).

After this, it's time to work mostly on building the gourd's surface by bringing up the contrast as necessary. That's the fiddly stage when you're not sure if you should quit. Two or three more stages to go that are hard to tell apart...then again, I might glaze red over the whole thing to warm it up even more...we'll see how it goes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2005/10671-gourd_6.JPG

maverick
10-20-2005, 10:09 PM
I think someone's been following this months classes :D

Duane (http://www.duanekeiser.com/index.htm)

I think I want Duane to be my teacher! Nice work!

Anita Murphy
10-20-2005, 10:22 PM
This sucks - I haven't finished the apple yet!

maverick
10-20-2005, 10:48 PM
This sucks - I haven't finished the apple yet!

I haven't left you behind...these threads will be around for a long time, so you can work at your own pace. There's a few people that haven't finished their apples yet.

Dewi
10-21-2005, 03:50 AM
Hi Mark... Dewi is here...I don't have small canvas and the art shop near my house hasn't the right size like apple (I want them to be a series) so bought some wood pieces.

This is the first gourd on wood using gesso 3 times, up to underpainting I stopped because layering the upper background is so hard (kind of not smooth). The yellow colour was after painting second gourd just want to see whether will it turned to green like yours.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2005/61325-Gourd_on_wood.jpg

This one is the second gourd on gessoed paper, underpainting (burnt umber) was not dark like yours... when layer with yellow it didn't turned green like yours and when glazed with red oh.oh it must be wrong, red too much and strokes so rough. In this stage could I do something, and green part could be added right? Thanks Mark

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2005/61325-Gourd_a.jpg

Dewi
10-21-2005, 04:44 AM
I just post my latest apple and read about your brushes, must be one of the reason that red glaze on my gourd beside too red.. wrong brush too? Now I've taken out my brand new pointed brush, bought a long time ago because its in a set with some brush I wanted to have. Luckily on apple it didn't show too much or you could see it too? :)
Thanks.

amaranth
10-21-2005, 11:40 AM
hehe. I'm the delinquent in the back fo the class. I'm carving my name into my desk with a pallette brush and watching everybody else paint. It's fun! I would like to join in, but I have a big back up in stuff I have to get done, including three peices to get into my university's art program and a gazillion christmas presents. i am so trying this though as soon as i get the time.

Charlie's Mum
10-21-2005, 01:40 PM
I'll be joining in soon! :D

amaze_1101
10-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Hey ya Mr. Guru
Can't believe my luck. I was just thinking that another lesson from you would be fantabulous, and here you are! Sad thing is I will have to come back to this one later. Tomorrow I'm off out of town for a weeks painting workshop with a top Aussie artist. (Jacqueline Coates) I will get back to this though, that's a promise.

Thanks for all the time you put into these kiddo!

See you in a week!

Dewi
10-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Hi Mark, trying my best to follow your last post and this is the result.. this photo was without flash but upper bg was a little muddy or smokey.
Thank you..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2005/61325-Gourd_b_copy.jpg

maverick
10-21-2005, 09:45 PM
I just post my latest apple and read about your brushes, must be one of the reason that red glaze on my gourd beside too red.. wrong brush too?

Dewi, you're doing fine. The class is about glazing, not making an exact duplicate. Everyone is going to have their own style.

If you're having trouble with your glaze having too much pigment, you simply need to add more glazing medium. Test it on a small area before doing a large area. You can also wash it off with water before it dries and try again. The kind of brush you use will affect the texture, not so much the intensity of the color. The glazing medium I use is also used for doing faux finishes on walls.

maverick
10-21-2005, 09:54 PM
hehe. I'm the delinquent in the back fo the class. I'm carving my name into my desk with a pallette brush and watching everybody else paint. It's fun! I would like to join in, but I have a big back up in stuff I have to get done, including three peices to get into my university's art program and a gazillion christmas presents. i am so trying this though as soon as i get the time.

I used to sit beside you in art class then...you're the one that would take the 9th grade paper mache work and toss it out the window. Then the other deliquents in the "smoking area" at the corner of the school would stomp and smash them to bits! And remember the time the art teacher was setting up her slide show of her trip to Egypt, and while she left the room for a moment you hung the slide projector out the window and closed it on the cord? She came back and thought she was imagining things! That was so funny!

Um...anyway we'll be here when you get back!

maverick
10-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Hey ya Mr. Guru
Can't believe my luck. I was just thinking that another lesson from you would be fantabulous, and here you are! Sad thing is I will have to come back to this one later. Tomorrow I'm off out of town for a weeks painting workshop with a top Aussie artist. (Jacqueline Coates) I will get back to this though, that's a promise.

Thanks for all the time you put into these kiddo!

See you in a week!

I envy anyone who can take a workshop with someone of that calibre! Let us know how it goes...

maverick
10-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Hi Mark, trying my best to follow your last post and this is the result.. this photo was without flash but upper bg was a little muddy or smokey.
Thank you..

This is coming along nicely Dewi! I need to get a better photo of mine tomorrow. I've been taking them indoors and the colors aren't as accurate as they could be.

maverick
10-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Here's my final stages. I've just been working on all the little details...darkening some of the green patterns, and glazing more Yellow, Red and White to the foreground and Red in the shadow.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2005/10671-gourd_7.JPG

Here is my final stage framed. I lightened the green patterns on the left side of the gourd my glazing a small amount of Yellow.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2005/10671-gourd_framed_sml.JPG

I'll probably look at this for a while and make some minor changes later, but it's basically finished.

Hope you liked the demo!

Charlie's Mum
10-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks Mark - another super Class/Study/Lesson. :D

I think maybe you're good at the teaching because you were SO NAUGHTY in those Art lessons as a pupil!!!!!! Trying to fox the teacher indeed!!!!;) ;)

Anyway - back to the painting - I like the reflected lights in this especially - and the colours glow.

Having done my own gourds in acrylic inks and then pastels, I'm looking forward to a more measured approach with my acrylic paint version!

Thanks again Mark - be back later :wave:

BTW - is your daughter following this lesson too?

Dewi
10-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Very beautiful Mark... will post mine if ready. Thank you very much and what object will be next Mark leaf, tomato, grapes? :)

praiseHisname40
10-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Hi Mark and Everyone .... I haven't had a chance to start on this one yet still finishing up the apple... I have been very busy the last week . But I do so want to do the gourd.. Mark...Im with Dewi... I think you need to do the next one on grapes... (I have such a hard time and an unfinished painting due to not being able to do the grapes ... Anyway I hope you will consider doing another class !!! You are a great teacher ... To everyone that has posted their gourds GREAT JOB!!! Thanks and God Bless :)

Dewi
10-24-2005, 12:35 AM
Hi Mark... I've posted squash on this week WDE using your method .. not done yet and hoping you have time to have a peek will you, thank you. You have said not so many people interested in scrubbing, maybe I understand why at lease from my side.:)

Johnnie
10-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Hi Maverick

Been following htis along. Unfortunately the way my eye is I havenet painted much..

Was wondering if youi could do one more WIP on the technique but using a face???

Show how to glace the colours of a face in acrylics.. That would be great.. Or anyone else maybe take up this question??

Thanks

Great WIPS and Demo's from everyone .. Really enjoy them and saving everyone for when I get painting again..

Johnnie

Ceccy
10-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Happy Monday :wave:
I've been working on my painting but it seems to be getting too dark. Is there a way to lighten it up a bit? It looks kind of gloomy. Also, I can't seem to be able to sharpen the gourd's edge. Advice on this, please?
Your painting looks great, teacher. Thanks again for sharing with us. I agree with Johnnie about another one of these wonderful tutorials.... several would be better. ;)

maverick
10-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Sorry folks. I'm still around. I've been distracted with work, and a mystery pain in one of my teeth. Youch! It hasn't been easy to concentrate.

I'll get back to you in the next day or two. Sorry again for the delay in responding.

Keep up the good work!

Ceccy
10-25-2005, 10:16 AM
I hope your tooth feels better soon! We'll be here waiting for your advice.

Charlie's Mum
10-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Dental pain is 'Hell' - hope you had it dealt with and it's not hurting now ......... Ooohhhhh you have my sympathies (experienced it y'know! ouch!!!).

Dewi
10-28-2005, 04:05 AM
Hope you are doing better Mark

Charlie's Mum
10-30-2005, 09:57 AM
I know it's almost the end of the month, but I'm half way through my painting!
anyone else in the same boat, please still complete and post - whatever the date! ....... if Mr M. is otherwise busy, that's OK too :D

Thanks very much Mark, for all your hard work ............ and hope that tooth hasn't got worse.

wlslady
11-13-2005, 02:15 AM
Hi all,:wave:

Sorry I got lost there for awhile, but sometimes life happens :eek: , and the paints get put on the back burner. :crying: I was just wondering where I should post my finished apple? I have done all that I can think of without completely ruining it. I'll check back nightly in hopes someone can help me with this.:)

Dewi
11-13-2005, 02:43 AM
Hi Alyssa ..forgive me if I'm wrong but try post your finished apple on the same Apple thread and perhaps PM Mark or maybe Charlie's Mum ..Maureen will guide you. Good luck and looking forward for your apple and begin with your gourd if your have time it's much easier.

TxAggieDarlin
11-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Maverick..just a quick question...when you say glaze..you are talking mixing the paint with water and is it pretty thin? Is that what you used on this one? You probably answered this somewhere...

.I know on the apple you said you used water and then medium, I think. I just love the look on these...adds such richness!

Dewi
11-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Sorry for wrong info Alyssa, I saw padlocked sign on the apple thread.:)

Charlie's Mum
11-13-2005, 11:17 AM
Alyssa - as the first part of the Class is a closed thread, just post your apple here, then it will be in the Classroom thread whether or not the two parts are eventually merged :D
I still haven't finished my gourd - other painting gets in the way!!!

TxAg - glaze with either water or medium - it's up to you, but yes, thin :D
Lots of layers (drying in between) will build up richness and depth.

wlslady
11-13-2005, 12:27 PM
ThankYou Dewi & Charlies Mum, :wave:

I had tried the apple thread and found it was locked :crying: it was the reason I came here I'm glad to know I can post it here.:clap: I'm also taking the drawing course and with all thats been going on here I have gotten wayyyyyyyyyy behind so sorry all. Heres my apple.

When I photographed this I found what was meant about white peeping thru. As you can see it looks like a star field on the left side of my pic which I thought pretty but that doesn't show up on the painted pic. I really need some c&c on this as towards the end of it I had a heck of a time getting it to even resemble an apple in my mind.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2005/68897-Picture.jpg

Charlie's Mum
11-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Well Alyssa, this is definitely an apple! It's glossy and a lovely deep, rich red ..... the only reason you may not think it looks like an apple is because you've been so close to it!
All the pinholes - that's why Maverick scrubs hard in the initial set of glazes I believe, so the canvas is filled in.
I think, personally, I find the hard green line on the right to be a little obvious - it looks better at the extreme left, where it's softer. Would you consider the angle a little severe too? ... just a thought! :)
All in all, I'd consider this to be a pretty successful painting. :wink2: :)

wlslady
11-13-2005, 09:27 PM
Maureen,

I agree with you about the hard line. I was trying to bring the darker blues and grey from the top down into the green as you can see by the shading coming down into it but I couldn't get it to blend they seemed to want to be on their own sides:eek: . It did start blending on the left to a certain degree but it seemed a bit washed out to me but better than the left. Only thing I did like about the right side is in the painting it looks like it rolls back and down behind the apple the pic didn't pick that effect up. I like how in the pic the yellow tends to starburst out from around the apple that does show a bit here. I'm hoping to try my hand at the gourd but have work the next few days, and then with Thanksgiving just around the corner I may not get to it in time to post my efforts.

Thank you for your replys and help.:D