PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Oct 17 Thru 23

K Taylor-Green
10-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Gosh, the month is getting away from us! Welcome to our weekly chat thread, where we talk about what goes on in our lives.

I visited with my youngest daughter, Sat. After some birthday shopping for my granddaughter, Anna, we dressed her baby up in his Halloween costume and took pictures. Owen is a chili pepper!

chookbrown
10-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Awww cute lil chili pepper Kate!!! Hi all, just wanted to drop by and see how you are all doing... I miss being here as often as I used to but "stuff happens".... Like my mum says... "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all"... so I've been quiet so as not to bore you all with our dramas of late - suffice it to say I HAVE TEENAGERS. Luckily I have my studio and pastels to keep me semi sane... :rolleyes:

I do hope you are all keeping well and I am planning on getting back to Santa Fe next year for more great workshops. Perhaps I can catch up with some of you again then.

Hugs to all of you,

Colleen :wave: :D

HarvestMoon
10-17-2005, 02:00 PM
What adorable pics Kate! Please Colleen, what do you do with a totally bored 14 year old??? Well my goats are SCREAMING this morning- they got a NEW round bale, and the girls are shrieking.... I went through the drill- what's wrong Apricot/ Sandy/ Ivy, etc.? Don't you see the new hay? I am sorry breakfast was late... the rest of the herd is right over there- is there a cactus needle in your ear? No? Is Timmy stuck in a well? Then my neighbor, who has a FEW dairy goats walks over to the fence and says- oh, they are in heat- they can smell my new stud goat. GRRR.... this is the neighbor who complained when we got a mare that drove her 'boys' nuts, so we sold the mare, then SHE got one.... we had to find homes for 2 dogs when they discovered her tasty chickens and bought a whole new flock, and we replaced the barbed wire part of the fence because her 'boys' were getting cut because of our slutty mare.... mind you, the prior neighbor changed the fenceline to way over on our side and had a survey done saying it was legal before he sold the place..... this is not starting out to be a good week. I hate it when my babies (the goats) are so upset. But that is ok, I was supposed to spy on her teenage daughter this weekend and managed to not see a single thing (I don't see the beer cans tossed over the fence, just pick em up)

K Taylor-Green
10-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Colleen! We've missed you! It's been ages. If you feel like venting, just vent away. We don't mind.
LOL, Linda, the animals are nicer to deal with than the people.

CM Neidhofer
10-17-2005, 03:59 PM
I will be booking a flight this week for my oldest son to come to Colorado for a visit. I haven't seen him, other than pics, in three years, since I moved here from Florida. He was already 18 when I moved and chose to stay in Florida. He's 21 now and in between jobs, so I'm snagging him for a week! I've missed the kid and very excited about seeing him!! :D He's my level headed, hard working one, as opposed to my now 18 year old younger son, who've I written about before, here. Who seems to always manage to get himself into yet more trouble. :( One happy Mom here!! :clap:

Christine

HarvestMoon
10-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Congrads Christine! I say if you get one good one out of 2 you do pretty well LOL....

Kathryn Day
10-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Kate what a sweet little chilie pepper!
Colleen: Hi, I got to meet you in Santa Fe, will try and go next year too. Miss seeing your work, it was always beautiful. Teenage years are tough!! I remember thinking how will I get through this. We do and they do.
Hi Christy, hope you enjoy your visit.
Purples, sounds like you have lots of laughs with your goats.

My mother passed away on Saturday. I was there with my four sisters the last ten days. We were able to say our goodbyes while she was aware and care for her till the end. She is now safe and happy and doesn't need the oxygen or pain medicine. I will miss her greatly, but am glad she can rest and be with her loving husband who died in 1974. I will be back on to visit in the next week or so. Thanks to you all for your support during this stressful time.

Deborah Secor
10-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Ah, Kathy, feel my (((hug))) now. Come in when you feel up to it. We'll miss you, but we all need time to grieve. To everything there is a season.

Deborah

Khadres
10-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Awww cute lil chili pepper Kate!!! Hi all, just wanted to drop by and see how you are all doing... I miss being here as often as I used to but "stuff happens".... Like my mum says... "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all"... so I've been quiet so as not to bore you all with our dramas of late - suffice it to say I HAVE TEENAGERS. Luckily I have my studio and pastels to keep me semi sane... :rolleyes:

I do hope you are all keeping well and I am planning on getting back to Santa Fe next year for more great workshops. Perhaps I can catch up with some of you again then.

Hugs to all of you,

Colleen :wave: :D

We miss you too, Colleen! And yes, the very word teenager is enough to explain VOLUMES, so don't worry...we understand! Hope to see you next year too!

PeggyB
10-17-2005, 07:57 PM
There's nothing like sharing the daily trials of life with one another to help make your own life seem pretty simple and good sometimes. As for myself, well I'm learning to live with arthritis in my lower spine, but the good news is that a month ago I had physical therapy and then joined "Curves" - circuit training for women only - and I haven't felt so good in ages! I've lost weight and inches and gained mobility so will continue with this regimen.

Then there is the "kids"... teens are a challenge, but sometimes mid 30's can be just as difficult. Especially when you've had a married son and his wife living in your home way tooooo long (not at my invitation mind you and I was the one that said if we agreed to let them stay while "getting on their feet" it would take a major event to get them out and I was right!) The major event is they are expecting a child (the first) next April - despite my son not wanting children and just beginning to go to college so they could indeed "get ahead" and despite her supposedly taking the pill - the same pill for the whole 8 years they've been married. Yes it takes two to make a baby, but he was trusting her to do as she said and faithfully take those pills! The strange part is that he will probably make a better father than she will mother. He's very good with kids, and she didn't have any postive roll models growing up and is too passive agressive to change much at 38 (my son is 3 years younger). Finally my husband has said, "Enough - I love my grandchildren, but not living in my house". Of course he hasn't forced the issue so far either..... I keep thinking "and this too shall pass". My other two are doing well in their lives so as others have said, two out of three isn't too bad these days.

Did someone say thank goodness for our art? I agree.:)

Peggy

Khadres
10-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Aww, Katy, my heartfelt condolences on losing your Mom! I went through that two and a half years ago and I think losing a mother is probably right up there with the very worst experiences in life. But I think you're right to understand that she has gone to another place, a better one without pain and struggle. It's we who suffer through these times on behalf of those we lose; they at least are free and that is worth so much. Hugs! We'll be here when you return, as always!

Khadres
10-17-2005, 08:06 PM
I think you're wise to see no evil next door! Being the tattler is a thankless task and can have BAD after effects! Can't you just explain to the goatgals that the stud next door is really a low-life who'll just break their hearts?

HarvestMoon
10-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Katy- I lost my mom 11 years ago with a sudden heart attack- totally out of the blue. I got seriously depressed and it took me years and years to get over it. It is really hard to loose a mom, and I hope you are over the heartache soon.

Peggy- my husband is much better with the kids than me- I had no real positive role model- but he had 2 and it may turn out. Did you see "Men in Black II" - it has some funny moments- like when the star tells the guy and his girlfriend to move out of their mothers house since they are pushing 40- and Sooz- since your hubby worked at the post office- the former MIB star tells them HOW to wrap a package...

michellej
10-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Hi to all,

I'm happy to say that I don't have to deal with the teenage years for another four years and I hope they take their time in coming Amen!
my daughter Kezia will be nine on Wednesday and already she has an opinion on everything. Can you imagine what she will be like as a teenager:eek: I heard her on the phone yesterday telling her father that she wanted high-heeled shoes to wear to church.
RUN THE TEENAGE YEARS ARE COMING!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:
Anyway the weather here went a little haywire here yesterday.25-50 ft waves came up on the beach and flooded out the roads and the food sheds. Then later on in the night i thought for sure my roof was going, but thanks be to God it stayed put.
Kathy I lost my father last year in an accident. One minute he was there then the next I was called on the phone to come down to the By-Pass. I can't say how long it took me to get over it caus I still haven't. You got to say good-bye.

chookbrown
10-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Sorry Purples I have no idea what to do with a bored teen...LOL.. mine is running me wragged...LOL.. I say stick a pastel stick in their hand and let them get creative!!!

Thanks Kate!!! Here's a quick recap... 16yo daughter... attempted but (thankfully) failed suicide attempt, coming home so drunk she slept on the grass outside of the house until midnight, sneaking around with a man who is 22 and better stay clear of me if he sees me coming, all this from a girl who gets straight A's in school and looks like butta wouldn't melt in her sassy cheerleader mouth. Those are just the highlights... I was never like this... I checked and double checked with my Mum and feel totally like I'm coming to the party half armed.

Hi Kathy... yes I remember meeting you...you lived on the edges of New Mexico somewhere or close by I remember us talking about that.... So sorry to hear about the loss of your Mum, but yes at least now she is not feeling any pain. (((Kathy))).

Hi Sooz!!! We are going to Golden CO from the 28th until the 31st... I will be attending an art workshop on art marketing, setting up a booth and the jurying process at the Mining Museum in Golden.. Should be great... but you have that white stuff out there already!!! Hubby is panicking at the thought...LOL.. YES, next year... it is on my calendar...We will all have to book a night to get together for eating, drinking and LOTS of chatting.

Oh Peggy... how bad is that... Hubby and I have a plan to sell the house and buy an RV... travelling from town to town wherever our three daughters are living and not letting them know where we are at any given time... :evil: evil but comforting at the same time... Our neighbours are currently going thru the new grandbaby in the house routine and none of them seems very happy despite the baby being gorgeous!

Michellej... run like the wind girl... LOL

:wave:

pjo
10-18-2005, 06:56 AM
Kathy-I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. How wonderful that you and your sisters were all able to be near her and had the time to say your goodbyes. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there.

Kate-Your chili pepper is a real cutie!

Christine-I have a daughter and grandson who live in Ft. Myers. Have a wonderful visit with your son!

Whether our kids are teens or adults, it can sure be tough at times. I'm so glad art is so theraputic. It seems like we just muddle thru sometimes, just doing the best we can. Hang in there chook and purples.

I have good news, we sold our house!!! Hooray!!! We are to close by the end of the month (Oct). The timing is wonderful, as my husband in facing total knee replacement next month sometime, (we see the surgeon on the 20th). After my two back surgeries and his two previous knee surgeries in the last 2 years this is a real blessing for us. We are living in our rental house where the payment is below $200 per month, and had thought we would have to move back into the big house and rent out the rental again, but now we can just settle in here for the winter and the duration of his recovery time and not worry about money. I tell you God is soooo good! I was really struggling with why our home hadn't sold, (it has been on the market for 51/2 months) but now with my husband having to replace his knee a year before we expected it, I am just thrilled and thankful for the timing.

khourianya
10-18-2005, 11:23 AM
That is great news, Paula! You must be so happy!

Deborah Secor
10-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Yay, Paula! It all came in God's perfect time! Now you can settle into the little house without worry--what a blessing to have such a small mortgage payment. We do struggle with the 'whys', don't we? Wish I could get over that and just go right to trusting! (I have my days, thankfully.) I'll keep your hubby in my prayers.

Raising kids can be the best and the worst of times, can't it? I sure wouldn't want to give it up, even for all the pain and strife at times... in the end it's worth the struggle, I think! Hang in there Colleen and you too, Peggy. Oh, and I had one important rule in my house: if my kid ever complained he was bored I found housework for him to do! Man, did he ever find things to keep him occupied without complaining. My house was sparkling there for a while, til he caught on... I may not have done too well with a few other things, but this one worked. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing you all again, and meeting some of you face to face for the first time at the Art Materials Expo, too. I heard it was going to be in Albuqerque, but I'm not certain that's true yet. Somebody will know...

Gotta go get ready for my drawing class. Mountains and aerial perspective. It would be so easy to teach this in pastels, but this pencil, pen, & charcoal stuff is more challenging. :wink2:

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
10-18-2005, 12:08 PM
I am so blessed not to have had all the "big" problems in raising my girls. LOL, at the time I thought the small ones were bad enough!
My heart goes out to all of you with problem teens. The heart ache and frustration involved can make you second guess yourselves as parents, I'm sure.
My mom raised a couple of problem children, a brother and sister who are younger than me. So I am not unfamiliar with the pain and chaos.

Paula, How great for you! Will sure make for a better winter.

I have grandchildren today and tomorrow. This a regular Tuesday and Wednesday thing, as I do my bit to get their mother, my daughter, through her last year of college.
She went back to get her education after marriage and kids. I am very proud of her.

scall0way
10-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Kate, I love that little chili pepper. What a great costume. Did you or your daughter make it? It sure looks nicer than the kind you get at the store.

I'm so sorry for everyone going through problems. Kathy I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I lost my mom last year on Dec. 18. Lately I seem to be thinking about her a lot more than I have in this whole past year. No matter what your age it's so hard to lose a parent. I remember being a small child, probably no more than about 4 or 5, and somehow actually grasping the concept that my mom might die and leave me, and getting hysterical over it. But my mom held me and cuddled me and swore she would never leave me, and we would both go off to heaven as two old ladies together. And I still remember how much that comforted me. I certainly hope you will find comfort in the days ahead with warm memories of your mom.

I'm sorry for those with teen problems too. I guess I was just darned lucky with my son. My worst problems with him were things like not cleaning his bedroom, and not getting his homework done. I wish I had some good advice but I'm afraid I don't know the answers, but you are in my thoughts.

My own biggest problem today is that I am sick with a nasty cold my son gave me, LOL. He and his wife and their puppy came out from Manhattan on Friday night to spend the night with me - so I could drive them to the airport on Saturday AM, and keep the grandpuppy for a few days while they go off to Fort Myers, FLA where my DiL is playing in a 3-day softball tournament, and my son brought his law texts to study in the sun. :) My son was sick with a rotten cold so of course I said "don't give it to me" and of course he did. I started getting sick Sunday afternoon.

Bummer since Monday was my "red" art show I'd been looking forward to - and and I did go to it but felt sick and rotten and left after 15 minutes. My picture was among the most traditional, being a relatively representational painting. Many mediums represented and some pictures rather disturbing like one that appeared to be a clown sliced in half with a huge gush of red blood coming out of his middle. Well I guess it did fit the "red" theme! One was 2 pen-and-ink portraits side-by-side. The first was labeled "Red 1920" and was a portrait of Lenin. The other was "Red 2005" and a portrait of George Bush. The friend who was with me said "Whoa, I guess she (the artist) is sure trying to make a statement". Anyway, my red apples seemed rather tame and inocuous. :D

CM Neidhofer
10-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Oh my gosh...I wanted to fly my son in from Florida this next coming Monday. Now there's another hurricane probably heading for Florida's west coast. Now I'll have to see if I can get him out sooner than Monday! I can't book the flight until Thursday, so not sure how that's going to go. :( Debbie, will your son and wife be back this week? Hope so, before "Wilma" closes in on Florida!

Christine

scall0way
10-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Wow, I hope you can get your son's flight changed! Let us know and good luck. My son and his wife come home tomorrow so should get out ahead of Wilma.

Gee, I guess this is the first time we have actually run out of names for hurricanes, but Wilma is the last name and the hurricane season still has six weeks to go! Somehow Hurricane Alpha and Hurricane Beta just don't have the same ring.

watergirl
10-18-2005, 04:32 PM
I guess I am lucky-no kids or grandkids but I do have 3 sisters. One of them lives with my parents in Florida. My stepfather has been fighting prostrate cancer for the last 3 years and it looks like he will not be around much longer. He was put in hospital on Friday night, broke his hip yesterday trying to escape, since the cancer has spread to his hips there is nothing to be done except pain relief. Mom seems to be doing okay, both of my halfsisters are there with them. We are going to Florida mid-Nov for 6 months with husbands job. Hoping to spend some good painting time with my Mom-she uses acrylics. Oh, and the mammo center wants me to come in for some follow up pics and an ultrasound next week so please send positive thoughts! And thanks to everyone for your comments, support and positive thoughts!

Trilby
10-18-2005, 06:42 PM
At last my allergies have let upa bit and I am resuming human form. They really laid me low. i supect molds in the air after the summer rains as I get this every October. I've not had the energy to comment in the softies forum very often but have kept up with everyones' great works. boy have the muses been inspiring. The work has just been pouring out of everyone.And it's all so good! I have obviously managed to continue some art. The scratchart has been a blessing because it's easy to pickup and set down and can be carried about like knitting. I've posted a link in the dustie's forum for the newest one. Soon I'll return to my pastels. I'm missing them but with no energy and the dust aggravated the congestion I've given them a rest.
Kate, that little chilli pepper is just adorable, child and costume both. Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear of your Mom's passing. That is always hard, no matter what age. It is good that she is out of the pain. Lots of warm feelings and hugs coming your way. My Mom passed 4 years ago, Her life companion soon after and my Dad this past may. That's one of the troubles of getting older; those close to us start to leave us. And we become the elders. Christy, enjoy the visit with your son and let's pray the hurricane doesn't become problematical. PJO how wonderful that the house has sold and yes God does know best. Michellej glad I am that the floods and winds didn't get you. Is this from Wilma? Debby sorry as can be that you have such a cold; well I know the missery of congestion. A slashed and bleeding clown and folk wonder at some of my message pieces, oh my. Watergirl, thoughts are with you as you confront cancer issues. Can't quite agree with you about being lucky to have no kids or grandkids, however. I lost my only in infancy, grieved her at many points, put it to rest than one day awoke to knowing I had also lost grandkids and grieved again. I did have a foster child. A very damaged teen, too damaged to keep, sadly. She now has several kids, but is not in touch.
Mothers of teens. Teenagehood is not a terminal disease, at least not if you refrain from killing them. they do usually turn into reasonable adults at some point. Hang in there, keep your humor if you can.
Happy painting
TJ

K Taylor-Green
10-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Oh TJ, that is so sad. I admire the fortitude it takes to go on from somrthing like that, while greiving that you had to go through it at all. I think that I would lose my mind.

Let's all hope that Wilma blows herself out before doing major damage.

Artistammy
10-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Katy, Here's a{{hug}}} for you.
PJ, I'm so glad you sold your house. PTL!
I'm feeling alot better but wish the lingering cough would go away. I go to the surgeon tomorrow about my foot again.
Sitting here trying to decide what to do next....work on scrapbk, painting, go photo cute pumpkin display I saw, wash the bathrm rugs... :rolleyes:
Tammy

meowmeow
10-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Hi all! Just making a quick run through to let you know I am alive and well. Next CAT scan is Nov. 17, and hopefully my alien lung blob will be even smaller. In the meantime I am feeling pretty good.
We sort of decided we should sell this big old beast of a house and get a condo a little closer to Maine...so...I have been heaving stuff and cleaning and making phone calls and well, a lot of work. But we both feel like it is the right decision. It will be hard to leave and probably not easy to sell in fact, but worth it in the long run. It's so much work I can't imagine doing it when I am even older! :D

Kate...beautiful chili pepper you have there!!!!

Kathy, I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs for you and your family!I am glad you were all able to be there with her at the end.

Hi Colleen!!!!

Chirstine, I am glad you will be getting to see your son. I do know about the tough kids!

PJ, I'm glad to see your house has sold...although that sounds scary that it took so long. But, at leastit's done now. I hope we don't have to wait that long but if we do, we do. I know this is the worst time of year for us to be starting this process. GOod luck with hubby's knee!

I think of all you while I am hauling stuff...I have not done any painting either. But as long as I am up to it, I want to get this done. Worst case scenario is we clean this place up and stay for a while! But boy, the junk you accumulate in almost 30 years! Yowzer! We have thrown out so much!!!! Good riddance!

I'll try to stop in and see everyone is doing....and maybe get to some painting. You all do some good work for me!

Sandy

K Taylor-Green
10-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Hi Sandy! Good to see you! You've been missed. I sure don't envy you that job! Ack! Moving, and all the cleaning, sorting, & packing that goes with it just seems to be a hurculean job to me as I get older.
Hope you stop in more often!

khourianya
10-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Okay - first things first - LOOKIT Kate's new avatar - woo whee. Very nice!

I've been sort of absent for the last little bit. Just busy getting betetr really. And now I have a few moments where I can actually touch base here and reply to everyone (though at this point I'm sure I'll still miss things)

I can understand about the angst with teenagers. I am a very long way from having any of my own, but I grew up being the good kid with my brother the bad kid. My mother had so many sleepless nights worrying about how he was going to turn out that I can understand what you all are going through. A failed suicide attempt is hopefully a wake-up call for her, Colleen. My best friend committed suicide at 19...4 days before my 20th birthday...and it is definitely no party for those left behind. Hopefully she gets the wild-child out of her before college so she can start to look forward to the future.

Kate - that lil chili pepper is adorable. I asked my sister-in-law what Kayden was going to be for halloween and they hadn't decided yet. I'm just hoping I get to see pictures. I don't usually get to be privy to those kinds of things (which is odd, since I AM his only aunt). This will be the first year in quite a few that we will have trick or treaters coming to the house (we spent the last 2 halloweens living right next to a cemetery - needless to say, we didn't have to buy candy). Cam and I both love kids so we are going to enjoy dressing up and handing out candy to all of the lil munchkins when they arrive!

Unfortunately, we also have trees inthe yard now, so i guess we'd better buy good candy to keep them tp-free.

Linda - your animal stories always have me rolling on the floor laughing. Thanks for making me smile.

Wilma looks like a doozy - I hope you got your son out early, Christine.

(((Kathy))) - I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I do hope you are taking care of yourself. You are in my thoughts. I ahave yet to experience a parent dying (mine are still really young - in their early 50's), so I can't relate to all of you there, but I did work in the funeral service industry for years and helped many people deal with these kinds of losses. I do undertand what you're going through and how it must feel. It is one of the hardest things you'll have to go through.

Sandy - the move sounds like a good decision. I'm glad to hear you're feeling well enough to do all of that work. I am sending blob-shrinking vibes to you!!!

As for me - I've been really sick and a walk yesterday at lunch seems to have sent wwhat is left of this cold straight into my lungs. I feel better, but sound worse than I have in the past 3 weeks. I am hoping I can chase it out of there before it becomes a serious infection. After all, I can't get my flu shot until I am healthy and I stand to be more susceptable to the flu as long as the infection sticks around.

I have been fairly productive with my paitning this past week. VPON is really paying off in huuge strides for me in that sense. I am getting motivated to paint regularly and spending alot less time replying to posts on this board as a result. I am happy to spend a few minutes a day typing and a whole lot more hours with dust on my hands!!! I set a goal to work from life in this month's goals thread and have posted my first painting in the studio, if anyone wants to see it - here's the link:

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301506

Anyway - I should get back to work. Talk to you all soon!

Kathryn Day
10-20-2005, 02:12 AM
Just a quick note to thank you for all the hugs and support. I am coping ok and will be with family and friends this weekend for the service.

meowmeow
10-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Cori, I'm sorry you are feeling so lousy! Take care of that cough though....they can get bad on you, as I can attest!

I have had an interesting, I think nice, little thing happen. I got an email a few weeks ago from someone from the University of Warwick in England. He said he had seen my gazebo painting on my website and they were doing a concert somewhere and the painting would be very appropriate for their advertising. He said they couldn't pay me but I would get credit and an ad in their little booklet. I thought about it and figured it was easy enough to do and since he had asked, then I had no problem with it. I told him fine but then did not hear for several weeks. I just got this, this morning:
I'm sorry it's been a while since I've been in contact. Things have moved on since I last emailed.

The image that was on the website was of a high enough resolution to be used on our posters, and has already been used on them. "Gazebo at York" is now on Flyers and Posters circulating around the local area and is soon to be on display around the campus.

I have some advertising that I can send you, and I was wondering if you could send me your address. I believe you sent this to me previously, but I've misplaced it. I apologise for this inconvenience to you
THis is their website:
http://www.windorchestra.co.uk/

It all looks legit...and since I didn't have to do anything anyhow, I think it was reasonable to let them do it. I don't expect to get anything from it, but who knows....in the end, it is free advertising and I'll have something nice for my "portfolio".

Sandy

chookbrown
10-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi Sandy!! and hello and thanks to all with wonderful words of support regarding teens. Love her to death and wouldn't choose to be without her ever... yesterday she told me I'm her best friend.... snif... and she didn't even want money!!! LOL...

One thing Aussie's do well is laugh at themselves and keeping the humour in the house certainly helps... Like now, while she is at school I borrow things of hers ... like earrings, makeup, cd's and then sit back and quietly chuckle while she scurries around looking for them... I know you might think this is cruel punishment... but this girl has a history of taking from me and her sister without asking and I'm sorry but it is a little amusing... she then gets the message how when she "borrows" without asking we all run crazy trying to find stuff...

Have a great day.... 8 days until my prep for my show is up so have to have them pastel fingers flying!!! yes I'm a little panicked now...LOL... later

Colleen :D:D

CM Neidhofer
10-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Well, I have my son booked on a flight out of Tampa on Sunday morning. Let's hope and pray he scoots out before Wilma gets too close, or she at least stays in south Florida.

K Taylor-Green
10-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Cori, I think a Doctor's visit is in order here. Lung congestion is no joke.

Kathy, our thoughts will be with you and your family at this trying time.

Sandy, free publicity is a good thing!

michellej
10-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Hey kate

just saw the new avatar. WOW!:clap: :clap: :clap:

K Taylor-Green
10-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Oh you guys! And just for the record, it's not that recent. Taken a few years ago. I wanted a change, but am not happy with any of my real recent photos.
Probably my last shot at glam as I age!

meowmeow
10-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Wow Kate! How did I miss that? Pretty snazzy lady!

Christy, I hope your son gets in safe and sound. I think we have had enough hurricanes this year, thank you very much!!!

Sandy

Bringer
10-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Hi,

This link has a song from a portuguese group.
Just wait a bit and the song starts playing.
You may have to download Macromedia's Flash which is pretty fast.
Hope you like it.

http://www.handsonapproach.pt

Regards,

Josť

khourianya
10-20-2005, 09:17 PM
ohhh, jose...I LOOOVE this band! I have just listened to the sone 3 times back to back. Now i want an album! :D Thanks for introducing them here.

K Taylor-Green
10-21-2005, 12:11 AM
That's great, Jose'!
Now that you have entered the scumble, you have to tell us more about you!! I mean, here you are, this Latin guy, and we know next to nothing! Enquiring ladies want to know!

michellej
10-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Yeah Jose tell us. :music: :music: :wink2:

K Taylor-Green
10-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Oh dear, I'm torn between feeling proud and feeling sick with worry! My step-son is a cop. Has been since his early 20's. He is 30 now. He has always worked small towns til now. Last night he stopped by to tell us about his new job. He is going to be working a SWAT detail as a sniper! I have to admit, I cried when he told us. Jess just seems to be proud, but we haven't had a chance to discuss it yet. I'm mostly just scared, and btw, he will be working in Cincinnatti, in a very rough area.
At least his partner is an older man and very experienced. But I am not happy about this.

Piper Ballou
10-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Kate, my son in law works for the sheriff's department here so I understand your fears. One thing, on a SWAT team, they are so highly trained and safety is key in the training. Also, as a sniper he would not be the one to break down the doors, if that is any comfort, he is behind the scenes. My advice, leave the room when he starts to talk about different things, I listen for a bit to my son in law because I know he needs to talk but then I also tune him out quite a bit because I need to sleep.
just some thoughts
piper

K Taylor-Green
10-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks Piper. I appreciate those thoughts. I'll just let his dad listen to the worse ones.

khourianya
10-22-2005, 02:40 PM
Yike, Kate. I can understand why this has you worried. But I agree with Piper. Listen to what you can and be supportive. Have faith in the training he recieves and eventually it will feel like he is just doing any other job.

Maybe not, but I know my parents had HUGE concerns for my mental health when i decided to start working at a funeral home soon after my best friends suicide. Eventually they felt better about it, thugh my mom would leave the room if i got into too many details about my work. And I am arguably still sane after 3 years of working in that environment... :D

Another thing to keep in mind is that he is going to become desensitized to alot that goes on out there. You won't be and he may not realize that. You might want to talk to him about that aspect.

Well the weather forecast last night said that today was goign to be 18*C and clear skies so i was all excited last night at bed time. I figured I could get out for some plein air. This morning when I ook the dog out, it was cool but clear and I couldn't see my breath. I packed up my gear and got ready to go. Then as i was about to leave, I stepped outside for a quick temperatre check and the mercury has plummetted, a fog has rolled in and I can definitely see my breath now. Go figure. My lungs have been feelingmuch better, but I don't want to chance it by sitting in the cold for an hour or so to paint. I am hopeful it will clear out and I might still be able to head out, but you never know with Calgary weather.

I guess i'll just have to look forward to the VPON paintout instead...either way I'll be painting andmaybe tomorrow will be good for plein air.

chookbrown
10-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Oh Kate how hard for you all. I know he is probably excited at the prospect and doesn't understand why anyone would worry but I think given the area you described it sounds justified to worry. Hope he is always safe and well.

Colleen :)

Bringer
10-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Hi all,

Someone sent me this :

http://izpitera.ru/lj/tetka.swf

Regards,

Josť

Deborah Secor
10-22-2005, 10:36 PM
Oh my goodness, Jose'! I've just spent a ton of time making this little gal dodge and weave! <giggle> I finally got her to sit still.... Great time waster! LOL

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
10-22-2005, 10:39 PM
LOL! Does she fall forever?! Someone has too much time on their hands, Jose'.

Thanks Colleen, for the comforting words. Boy's giving me more frequent visits to my hair colorist!

K Taylor-Green
10-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Dee, we cross posted! You mean there is something to do with her? Heck, I just let her fall.

Trilby
10-23-2005, 12:48 AM
Kate, we raise them to set on their own path---doesn't stop the worries though does it? Piper is right. He will be well trained and the times of actually sniping are few. The comments of others are right on the mark, especially Cori's warning about desensitization. I used to be a deputy sheriff and know well the skewed view. I'll say a prayer for him.
Cori, glad you are feeling well enough to want to go sit outside and paint.

I'm full of energy about my artwork right now. This afternoon I stopped by the Minuteman project headquarters to see if anyone would pose for me for the first of the series I want to do about the project. I got sent up the chain of command and ended up talking to their head media chief and the sector captain. They were very excited about my artwork and my plans for a series with the hope of doing something national to get out the message and maybe raise funds. I left with an appointment with the Vice President of the organization and an invitation to go on patrol with a team so I can get photos. My afternoon meet with them has left me full of optimism and energy for the project. Now I need to find some head honchos of the disaster relief organizations and see if I get the same encouragement for the Hurricane series..

For those who may not know, I am working up two series of artworks, scratchart and pastel both that portray the needs of the hurricane survivors and its effects as well as a series about the issues along the Mexican border with the illegal immigrants. I want to portray the Minutemen, but also the issues the Mexicans themselves face, such as death in our deserts or children that travel with them, the exploitation they face, the poverty they want to escape, also the issues we who live here face, such as cut fences, cattle slaughtered, homes broken into and people beaten and much more. My social concience has been well stirred and I want to use my art in its cause.The Minutemen are a group of about 50000 volunteers who patrol the border and report to the border patrol any crossers that are sighted. The idea is that enough manpower on the border creates a deterrent. When they are present the crossings go way down. I'm so pleased my ideas have gotten such a good and encouraging reception. I wanted to share.
TJ

Deborah Secor
10-23-2005, 01:19 AM
Dee, we cross posted! You mean there is something to do with her? Heck, I just let her fall.

Yes--Just click on her and see what happens. Think rubber bands! You can grab hands, shoulders, feet, knees... Then as she falls you can move things right and left, too. I managed to get her to stretch out over some balloons and loll there. Very fun. :wink2:

TJ, sounds like you are full of inspiration right now--sure to make for interesting paintings. :D

Deborah

Bringer
10-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Hi again,

I dunno if I can post this here, just prepare to laugh real hard.
It may take a bit. HAS SOUND.

http://www.funnyjunk.com/pages/cat.htm

Regards,

Josť

michellej
10-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Jose! Oh my Goodness!! What a gas! I sat and almost turned upside down looking at her. And that cat EEK! (lol)

Far too much time on their hands (ha,ha,ha!)

michellej
10-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Hi Kate
just read the thread. My father was a policeman for years and there were times when I wondered. Just give your son to the Lord. It may sound trite and cliche but I guarantee that you will not regret doing it. He ALWAYS takes care of our children.

michellej
10-23-2005, 06:22 PM
HAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Dee I just went back to the doll and did as you suggested Oh My what a gas!!!!

K Taylor-Green
10-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Good grief! What am I doing?!
Anyway, my wolfdog really reacted to the cat, now THAT was funny!