PDA

View Full Version : Kraft Foods!

Jason Seiler
01-20-2002, 03:35 PM
Hello everyone! This is the caricature of Bob Kraft that I had been talking about on a different post, with Brad (Witty) and some other folks. Thought I'd share it with ya! This one was all done with graphite, and about thirty bottles of Coke, I feel good to be finished with this one, tired me out, it was a fun one to do though...
talk to ya later!!!

LarrySeiler
01-20-2002, 10:48 PM
Jason sent me a larger email attached image of this piece, and I'll tell you, this smaller image does not do the rendering justice, folks.

This one is simply amazing there, kiddo! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Should be worth big $$$ for you....

all in good time!

Daaahd

dnip24
01-21-2002, 12:54 AM
Pretty cool picture!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Witty
01-21-2002, 05:09 AM
Jason

What ever you are charging for these caricatures, IMMEDIATELY double it :)

This one is excellent even with 30 bottles of coke (dosen't it make your hands wobble??). I think his face rendering is excellent.

Be back tommorrow with my post of Pat Rafter - its so big I can't scan it! So I'll have to take a photo with my digital camera.

Brad

Jason Seiler
01-21-2002, 12:19 PM
Dad, :D

Glad you liked it, I'll try and attatch another one that will show the detail a little better.
The guy's coming today to pay for it, and take it away...

Brad, :D

Man would I love to double the price, the problem is that people don't understand what it takes, or how many hours go into these things...they like my style pick me to do a job for them, and when they hear my price at least half of them run off to some lousy caricaturist...so I don't know....maybe someday eh?

Can't wait to see that Pat Rafter! I had to scan this one in two pieces, it's 11x14, that's the only problem with doing bigger ones, it's hard to get a nice copy for yourself.

Take care,

LarrySeiler
01-21-2002, 01:31 PM
Gettin off and running is always hard kiddo.

That is why you guys had to do without the designer things, and we drove vehicles that often broke down. Partly because I was not yet known. Then, when I started winning big competitions and became known I thought we were on our way. I was suddenly catapulted into the surroundings of peers that were making much bigger money than I, and I was in company of greatness. Only thing is, the money still had not come.

You have a couple choices at those times, one...charge what beginners charge, but then eventually those that have respect for the big named artists and understand that work from such is worth more find out what you are doing. They lose respect. Secondly, your peers find out what's going on and feel you are selling them out. They fear people will find out what you sell work for, and assume that artists such as themselves are overcharging.

As such, hard decisions usually fall upon the artist that has nearly "made it."

Education is what is needed, but example is the only way some are going to get it.

I have some big mighty pricey works at home, stacked up...and about all they accomplished over those years was to develop myself and to generate enough interest where people might buy the smaller cheaper stuff.

I say stacked up, because I refused to sell them for next to nothing.

Part of that to blame is remaining in Wisconsin, which is notorious for valuing only football and beer. Middle class laborers that do not part with money for aesthetics/art. We should have moved out west years ago to an arts community, but supporting the family and day to day survival just made such pursuits difficult.

Now that you are recognized by many as professional, one to be admired...even by your peers...you too will find yourself facing some tough decisions along this line. Fortunately, you seem to be filling more a "need" that people in our culture are finding an interest in, and I think you will continue to do quite well for yourself.

Larry (ie..Daaaaahd)

Jason Seiler
01-21-2002, 02:32 PM
I know it's gonna be rough sometimes, like you said, I've gone thru it, groing up with you, I think I've learned alot about it...wouldn't be where I am today without it, I'm lucky to of had a dad, like that...who know's the way things work in this kind of a world, the artist world...no one understands it but us....too bad for them eh?:evil:

Well, the guy from Kraft came and took the caricature from me, he loved it, was shocked actually. Made me feel good, because when he first came to meet me I could tell the level of respect and trust in me when down...I think he was expecting a thirty to fouty year old guy with years and years of experience, instead a kid with piercings, and tattoos!:D

When he saw the finished work he was so excited, asked why I don't do this full-time, wanted to know all about me, told me that all the guys back at the office want my name and a business card for future work, so it turned out pretty cool.

It sure would be nice if Bob Kraft likes his picture who know's maybe I could end up drawing the New England Patriots, that would be cool...I dunno someday eh?:rolleyes:

Ttalk to ya all later...I've attatched the Kraft drawing a bit bigger so you can see the detail a little bit better!

Take care,

LarrySeiler
01-21-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Jason Seiler
When he saw the finished work he was so excited, asked why I don't do this full-time,

hahahah...that's when you say, "Cuz, nobody wants to pay me what I'm worth, and until that happens, I cantz payz no billz!" an give him the direct look in the ole eye, and tilt of the head!

I'm not surprised he was pleased. Duh! Who wouldn't!

Jason, has always worked harder than anyone I know at developing his drawing. His friends would come over and play football, and he would leave them about 10 minutes into the game to go to his room and draw. Meanwhile, his brother would stay out there and play!

Some often asked me if I pushed, Jason...and honestly, other than hearing a critique from me once in awhile. I did not. I guess I didn't want to be accused of being one of those dads that fail in their own pursuits, and then try to live it out thru their kids! I know Jason appreciates my acceptance, and respects my talents. Truth is...garsh, I respect his!! Wow!

Sounds good about the others wantin' them done, and now...bit by bit, you'll have to stand by your prices, and then geez, you share you're just gettin so doggone busy, and you might have to raise prices a little. Pretty soon you need to put out a brochure about yourself, your accomplishments, competitive acknowledgments that people can bring back to the office with them, so they begin to give you the respect that is coming. They also won't be surprised then when they find out you ask a professional's fee.

Larry (ie..Daaaaahd)

kg7er
01-23-2002, 02:28 AM
Excellent work, Jason. You ever do anything for Forbes Magazine? Last time I looked, they used a lot of caricatures, and the quality of your work is definitely at that level. Super duper.:evil:

Jason Seiler
01-23-2002, 10:41 AM
KG7ER.....I've never heard of "Forbes magazine" I'd love to do some work for them though....I've done work for some smaller international magazines, but not something big BIG yet...hoping. I've been trying to get my stuff in MAD magazine for a while, gonna keep trying...maybe one day!

-Take care,

cry_1
01-25-2002, 01:29 PM
Great work, Jason.

Looks like Mr. Kraft could use the muscles on his face to crush a beer can! Geez, I read your dad's reply regarding money and growing up and damn near started balling like a baby. I'm 33 years old, married with a couple of shorties (ages 2 and 5),
and although I've had my moments of joy and pleasure, this game has indeed been a real pisser. I'm real lucky to have a full-time job in an arts-related field, but we still struggle a great deal, and I'm sacrificing my sleep and health, wrecking things with my wife, and tearing my mind with fury in order to work all night on a bunch of big paintings that I'll put a big price tag on, show to the public, then proceed to stack in the corner of my own house. It's sheer torment sometimes. But dog, it sure feels good to bust a good one out, and you KNOW that's right. Keep knockin' em out G.

postscript- Do color stuff? I'd send samples to entertainment weekly. They use hella caricatures.

Jason Seiler
01-25-2002, 02:14 PM
Cry 1

Do you have a way of getting ahold of entertainment weekly, I'll send 'em some stuff right away! Always looking for more places to send work to.....
-later:D

cry_1
01-25-2002, 02:59 PM
Jason, this info is off of the EW.com site, but they allege to share staff with the hard-copy magazine, so I'd drop a line to these cats and inquire as to where one should address his submissions pack.

Peace.

Art Director: Alexander Knowlton

[email protected] <[email protected]>