PDA

View Full Version : Trying a new support for soft pastels

Andrew
01-20-2002, 01:55 PM
Since I enjoy painting on masonite and the pumice acrylic medium isn't available at my location, I decided to try something. . . well. . . different.

I added between 2-3 Tbs of ground mica paint texturizer (available in x-fine, fine, med, and course. I used the fine material.) to a generous cup of gesso, and coated a 20x24 inch primed masonite board. After it set, I lightly sanded with fine sandpaper. The tooth is beautiful. Has anyone else tried this?

I will let you know how it works out.

Andrew

light
01-21-2002, 09:30 PM
Mica paint? Wow, never have tried that. I do go to the local hardware store to get my pumice or rotten stone powder. I think the mica paint is worth looking into, though. I love to try new textures, new tooth, etc. Do let me know how it works. Do you ever leave some texture when you prepare for a landscape or do you sand everything smooth? I only sand and smooth portrait pieces and texture landscapes.

Please let me know how it works. :)

Andrew
01-22-2002, 10:20 AM
Pumice powder. hmmmmm. I will have to look at that. This stuff is pulverised mica that is sold in a milk carton-like container. You are supposed to add 1 container (1lb) to a gallon of latex wall paint.

I left texture on the whole board. I only sanded lightly to remove any loose bits before I start transfering my image to the board.

Andrew

light
01-22-2002, 01:20 PM
The pumice stone powder comes in a milk box container thing, too. Most people use it for fine furniture finishing, or like me they put it with gesso and put it on sanded door skins that have been cut to size. Much, much cheaper and better than artist's sand paper.

Good luck and Happy Pastelling

Merriel
02-04-2002, 12:30 AM
Light: I also use what you are using pumice and gesso, and I tint mine with
acrylic. I also use the door skins as they are lighter than the masonite
boards. I find it works really well. I like Ersta sandpaper though, because
I never seem to find the extra time to do a batch of boards. I have not tried Mica but will sure look it up.

leirrem2