PDA

View Full Version : My New Web site.... Please Look... Let me know

KetchikanSculptor
10-15-2005, 03:31 AM
Hi Everyone! I have been a crazy woman these last few weeks spread a bit to thin and in dire need of some real R&R!
I finally got my web site mostly finished!!!!!! :clap:

I can not tell you how good this feels and my headache is actually starting to let up! I will be posting a page with beads that are for sale soon and also providing a locals forum of classes available. In other words there are still some holes in my web page and I know it..... I will have to fill them in as I can and get it all finished up this week. I would greatly be appreciative of a look see and let me know what you think. Being aware that I know of the few things that need finished. Just wanted to get it posted so I could breath again! Anyway... here is the link.... www.hillsidegardensartstudio.com (http://www.hillsidegardensartstudio.com/) If you have something you want me to know and don't want to post it in this thread please feel free to email me at [email protected] ([email protected])

Thanks!

rosebead
10-18-2005, 11:58 PM
Hi Ruth :wave:
I love the look of the first page. very pretty graphics. Very nice look to the whole site.
I think you should devide & organize the link index on the right into categories with sub- categories- I counted 19 categories- a bit much.
The photos of your garden are fabulous.
On your lampwork supplies page your link to your email doesn't work. & the link on your tutorial page doen't work for me either-
OK the good stuff:
Your photos of kitties Poppy & MooMoo are so sweet. I love the cuddle cats.
The tribute to your dad was very moving it made me really miss my father. & your site really makes me want to go to Alaska. Can I come visit you? :D

KetchikanSculptor
10-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Thank you Rose for posting. I am working on the divide and concur thing this week. :) Hope I can sort out all the other stuff too. html coding is not an easy program for me to learn. Wish my brain was wired that way!

I think it's funny that there is tons of lookers at the site... but few from here have responded... need input to be able to do this site thing right. Oh... and if anyone has any suggestions on what needs to be done... I am all ears on how to do it.

UmaJulz
10-21-2005, 11:29 AM
I like the look of your site Ruf, the color scheme, and the friendly, warm atmosphere you present with your favorite photos. Even though you have quite a few pics in your "sold beads" area, and in your sculpture/art area, I would like to see more photos- since your site name is "hillside gardens ART Studio". :)

I like that you have navigation on the bottom of the page and that I didn't have to scroll to find it. Maybe a little bit larger font for that navigation, and especially on the front page with the list on the right hand side. Hard for me to read and I am on a large monitor.

I know that there is always room for more stuff, and more stuff to write is always a challenge for me to compose and get posted, but please tell us more! more about the kitties, more about your beads, your art, your garden. Your "About" page is great, and you have a comfortable writing style, with great photos- I guess that is why I want more!

I am especially fond of your Robert Service poem- I was raised on that poem and can almost recite the whole thing by heart, even so many years later!

KetchikanSculptor
10-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Thank you for the nice critique UmaJulz! It really helps a lot having Studio Site included from the web host for making the web page... seeing as how I am totally inept for web page making. Drawback is the fact that it does not let you change to many things, like font size or style. My logo font style is more like Kelt... but I am just happy to get it up and show that I have done other things besides melting glass. lol... speaking of which... My portfolio was all in paper and printed photographs prior to the computer age landing in my yard, so to speak. When I moved to Alaska I had to leave my trailer in a friends yard with ALL my art stuff... including my portfolio. I went back a year later to get my things and well as you may probably guess, someone needed my trailer more then I did. :( So they thought... as it up and vanished without a trace. AND that was including all my bought art from 20 years of collecting. Who knows, they may have thought that they had a gold mine in swiping it. ARGGG in any case!

UmaJulz
10-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Oh no!!! that's devastating- I couldn't imagine losing all of our art, our history, our books... So then, with all of that behind this, I think you are doing a fantastic job getting the photos up that you have! Keep up the good work, and maybe someday I'll also have one for art to critique. right now, I only have the horse site, and it is a bit, um, stale, so to speak. Needs updating... :) guilty.

KetchikanSculptor
10-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks UmaJulz! I think I cried for a week... it still bothers me to this day.. 12 years later. Not like it did the day I found out though.
Let me know when you get your web site re-worked. I would like to see it! Also... how about coming out of hiding the rest of the way? Share a first name with us and a little blurb about you? Hugs!

101JewelryLn
11-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Ruth,

I love your website. I'll trade you places to live. :o) Those beautiful flowers must be great inspiration.

Hugs
Holli

KetchikanSculptor
11-26-2005, 03:41 PM
They are a great inspiration, Holli! You would not beleive what I have to do to get them to be healthy and happy. There is not much "real" dirt here.

k.t.
11-26-2005, 07:42 PM
I didn't know your site was here for critique. I love it! Found it by going on another post you did and clicking on your site. I bookmarked it to finish reading later. Tons of interesting things with very nice pics and graphics. Brovo! Nice Job!

k.t.

collectiblesbyrose
11-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Wow...I am totally impressed by your site! The cats are so sweet! Beautiful plants! Very nice beads! Easy to roam around your site! I love it!!!

KetchikanSculptor
11-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Awwww....You guys!!!! You're gonna make me cry! (In a good way) :angel:
Thank you so much for saying such wonderful things! I worked hard to get the site up.... It's my first attempt at an official web site. The one I did a some years ago was from a program called Printshop 6.... Does that tell you how long ago or what? LOL... it was a Wysiwyg in the extreme sense of the word. It was just not made to upload as it was off center and nothing one did (except redo the entire program) would change it... program glitch.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my kittes and they are the best thing in my studio world next to melting glass of course!

BurningScentsations
11-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Ruth,

Your site is lovely. I haven't had the chance to go through the whole site yet, but will later.

I agree that the navigation categories should probably be a bit consolidated, but that is probably more personal choice than anything else. They are pretty clear and users should be able to find the things that interest them.

OK, is it just me or do the graphics at the top of your web site remind anyone else of an alien invasion? The green tenticles reaching out from the picture of your town make it look like it's been taken over.

Are you an Alien, Ruth? :) Maybe I should lay off the Sci-Fi channel for a while. :eek:

Anyway, Great job on your new site! Keep up the good work,

Lloyd

KetchikanSculptor
11-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Hi Lloyd! Thank you for looking at my site! You are such a silly and I need that laugh this morning! I am an alien.. or, I too have been watching to much sci-fi!
For some reason (I just noticed) you can not reach the free frit and bead(s) page from the link in my original critique post.... but you can in the link I have in my sig line.... Do you or anyone have any idea what is up with that?? It's so odd! I am afraid if I change or add anything I will lose the info I currently have and have to start all over again.

As for the navigation thingy... With a WYSIWYG web page builder I was left with very few options in some stuff. That is so aggravating! But, I guess I am just happy that I got it up and that I can make beads!

Thanks again for your time in letting me know and also checking out my pages! (((Lloyd)))

BurningScentsations
11-30-2005, 05:18 PM
For some reason (I just noticed) you can not reach the free frit and bead(s) page from the link in my original critique post.... but you can in the link I have in my sig line.... Do you or anyone have any idea what is up with that??

Ruth (Royal Supreme ET),

It would appear that a link on your web page to the Free Bead/Frit page does not exist. Were you planning on having the link on the front page or from one or more sub-pages?

Pages can exist on a web site and not be linked to the main page or to any page. Is there a link on a sub-page that I'm not finding?

If you want the users of your web site to be able to access it, the link needs to be added to at least one of your web pages. Otherwise, web users won't know the page exists (without hacking your web site! :eek: )

Best of Luck,

Lloyd

KetchikanSculptor
11-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Hi Lloyd! It would appear that the web host uploaded 2 web page versions. Something that I am clueless about but will have to look into it very soon.
The link to the "free bead and frit is located at the bottom of my siggy line... I will get to that little problem right away... Thank you for bringing to my attention. (((L))) <---- hugs for you!

BurningScentsations
12-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Ruth,

You're quite welcome!

Best of luck with your new site.

Happy Holidays,

Lloyd

Bobby's_World
12-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi Ruth I enjoy the overall feel of your website but I am having a bit of a problem with the category index on the right. viewing it on my laptop (and desktop) I use a fairly high resolution and that particular font is a bit problematical to view because there is a difference in the thickness of the characters from the top and bottom half it makes reading at a higher resolution tough.

I think your graphics and photography are wonderful but I would consider revising the font you are using.

Bobby