PDA

View Full Version : Moonlit Majesty in scratchart xposted A/W

Trilby
10-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Hi, all, I got such a fine reception last time, I thought I would share my most recent work. I styled this elk after an antique etching. It's colored with colored pencil and pastels. It's photographed just a tiny bit brighter red than in RL. Scratchers, please, how does one get a sharp line against the antlers with the cloud without losing all the gadations that make the cloud fluffy. I tore my hair out working on that area. At first it looked like the cloud was a ball of mist hanging off the antlers. I did get the cleaness I was after, but lost the fluff.
Critiques are always as appreciated as the comments.
Thank you,
TJ
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2005/58664-Copy_of_HPIM3389.jpg

lisilk
10-14-2005, 07:30 PM
TJ

Your scratching is excellent, esp. the fur and lighting effects. WC member Myorca would probably be the one to ask about technique. The colored pencil and pastels gives it a new edge and gives it more interest.

I'm not a scratcher but I like!

Mary Woodul
10-14-2005, 11:19 PM
TJ that is just beautiful and dramatic at the same time. I love those reflection on the deer and the your mountains are incredible. Please keep posting!

Jakeally
10-15-2005, 11:33 AM
What a gorgeous piece of scratching. Wonderful title too ... these creatures are so majestic.

Trilby
10-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Thank you all so very much for the words of support. I am so happy that I've discovered the fun of working in this medium. I get results that I can't with graphite or pen and ink--love it!
TJ

Obedec
10-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi TJ,
It's very good. For a foggy sort of look, I'd use either a steel wool pad (great foggy) or I watercolor it in greys. I think, from the color of the elk, you might want to watercolor the clouds with tinges of reds and oranges like at sunset...that will probably clear up your dilemma.
Karen H

Trilby
10-15-2005, 11:54 PM
Hi Karen, thanks for the guidance. I do not want a foggy look, but a moonstruck cloud. I had nice cloud shadows, but in trying to get clean definition behind the antlers I lost that, I do think toning in some color may help. How do you get a clean line against the antlers without it being a line. It's still a tad darker near each antler than in the rest of the cloud which doesn't fit right. I had mistakenly thought this was going to be the easiest part of the etching LOL. Perhaps some cross hatching?
Thanks again, you are appreciated. BTW where is Waldport? I have family and friends in Oregon Coos Bay and Roseburg.
TJ

Obedec
10-16-2005, 01:48 PM
I was just looking at Charles Ewing's book, I'll go back through, I think he has a fix for your problem (tonight after work)....Waldport is 82 miles up 101 (North) from Coos Bay (I was just visiting my parents this weekend, LOL).
Karen
Waldport, OR

Trilby
10-16-2005, 04:10 PM
Karen, that is so appreciated!. Next time I visit my step mom in Coos Bay, we'll have to connect, Maybe at Florence--love all those little shops and galleries there.
TJ

Obedec
10-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Sure, we can get another artist I know too and all meet at BJs, the best ice cream around. There's another scratchboard artist in Coos Bay too. She's on the yahoo groups list of Nikinicklin's Scratchboard Club, we're pretty quite again right now. Her name is Rachael and she has a very interesting style.
Karen