PDA

View Full Version : what's missing? flower abstract(ish)

fsutrill
10-14-2005, 02:05 AM
Hey! I did this vase of flowers mainly wet-in-wet and while I like it, there is something missing. I am thinking that it's maybe a few details, esp in the pinkish flower on the mid-right and a few leaves just below that. What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance-
Cheryl

juneto
10-14-2005, 02:18 AM
Hey Cheryl .
Nothing really , it is very Watercolory and loose.
You might have a few darks in it and something to sit the vase onto to give it some base , maybe a few centers would be interesting too.
You have done well, but you could have a look at our Flower painters here if you want a few really, good Tips on how to master Flowers.You are on the way.
June

Alan Cross
10-14-2005, 02:34 AM
Its a good start but some darks are whats needed...
Alan :)

fsutrill
10-14-2005, 02:39 AM
please feel free to manipulate in photoshop or whatever, too- I forgot to say that.

The bottom of the vase is not showing- it's only from halfway up. Would a dark background suffice for the darks, or (and i am thinking this is the case) the darks should be in the centers? I want to keep the white places as "flowers".

Thanks for the advice so far- I am off to search for some stuff her on WC.

Kate Mc
10-14-2005, 03:13 AM
Cheryl, I agree with June that you need some definition in the center of the flowers. That would add the punch you're looking for, IMO. Search for Capricorne's threads, and find some of his florals. There were several he called "pochade". I think you'll see what I mean. Or look for Charles Reid's books--he paints in the style you're using here. (jealous icon here).

Nice and loose. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Kate

laudesan
10-14-2005, 04:15 AM
You need a centre of interest, and a nice washy background..:)

jaydiva
10-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Very good start!!

I'm with Alan that it could use a few darks, and those white spots leave me thinking that there should be some colour too.

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2005/32313-tn1.jpg

my new art website (http://www.diva-design.de/JBB/index.htm)

painterbear
10-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Cheryl,

This definitely has a Charles Reid/Capricorn-ish look to it. It is nice and loose and you've let your colors flow into one another in a beautiful way.

Right now it seems to all be pretty much one value and nothing particularly eye-catching anywhere. You need to give the viewer some direction where to look. Right now, my favorite little part is the section of flower at the lower left—those two little dark droplets and the blue flower form really caught my attention. Some negative painting in the rest of the bouguet might be nice, but not too much detail, that would kill the freshness of your painting.

Sylvia

CharM
10-15-2005, 07:41 AM
Hi Cheryl... regardless of painting style, flowers need *form*... Otherwise, they're just a tumble of pretty colours... There's where you are just now... you have a tumble of beautiful colour, but we cannot distinguish what that is... In order to create your form, add depth to your bouquet in your greens, etc., you'll need to incorporate some darker values...

Rich
10-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Cheryl, since the Gallery is for finished works, I have moved your thread, leaving a redirect, to the Studio as that is where WIP's should be.

fsutrill
10-15-2005, 12:56 PM
ah- thank you very much! For the advice and moving the thread. Right now I just have to suck it up, take a deep breath and PAINT SOMETHING on it! I am at *that* place where I am afraid to touch it! Hopefully I will get to it in the next day or 2.
Cheryl

bluegenes
10-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Cheryl, Char is right, use some darker values to add a bit of depth to some of the flowers and just a touch of detail. I'd also like to see the bouquet go right off the page at the top right. That would be cool too!
If you have a chance to read the book "The Artist's Handbook" by Anglea Gair, there is a demonstration on how to do one of these wet in wet florals. It's even in a blue vase too!

Patty

fsutrill
10-16-2005, 07:31 AM
Patty- nuts! I don't have that one! Really about going off the right? I was thinking since the vase is off center that the flowers going off in the opposite direction would balance it sot of asymmetrical. I can see where I could do that....*pondering*

June, laudesan, Char and Alan- thanks!!

Sylvia and Kate- thanks for the specifics- it's funny, because Charles Reid is the first person whose style I wanted to be like, maybe not *quite* as loose/free/abstract, but definitely in that vein.

It's funny how you arrive at finding your style- I admire the heck out of photo-realists and their abilities, but I don't have any desire whatsoever to *do* that. I have always been more attracted to color, and I think my weakness lies in value- I sacrifice value for color.

My husband is in the states right now, and with the 3 kids (one of whom is only 2), I am not finding time yet- especially on the weekend! Tomorrow, though, the older 2 have school and the youngest is in the nursery for the morning and it's do or die with this painting!

-Cheryl

fsutrill
10-17-2005, 05:42 AM
okay, after this morning, here's what I have. I tell you the truth, though, it scared me to death to actually do it, but when I look at them side by side I can tell the difference.

Any more suggestions/help?

laudesan
10-17-2005, 05:54 AM
Looks much better. Are you going to paint a background?

painterbear
10-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Cheryl,

You were very brave and your bouguet is still abstract, but much more "finished." If it were mine, I would put a little dot of yellow or blue or something in the middle of those empty white spaces scattered throughout the bouguet. That would turn them into white flowers instead of white holes. :D

Very nicely done.

Sylvia

fsutrill
10-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Looks much better. Are you going to paint a background?

I really don't know. I was thinking more along the lines of matting it with a darkish type mat and leaving the space around the bouquet. What colors would you use for a background?
Cheryl

bluegenes
10-17-2005, 07:16 PM
I like this a lot better, Cheryl! Did you get my email?

Patty

laudesan
10-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Why don't you print out your painting on a piece of watercolour paper and have a play with background colours..

I was thinking something very light using the colours you have in the painting already..:)

fsutrill
10-18-2005, 02:28 AM
I like this a lot better, Cheryl! Did you get my email?

Patty
yes, thank you VERY much! :D

fsutrill
10-18-2005, 02:29 AM
Why don't you print out your painting on a piece of watercolour paper and have a play with background colours..

I was thinking something very light using the colours you have in the painting already..:)
great minds think alike- I actually did a bunch of these in miniature as cards and am putting a different background on each one! We'll see where we end up, lol! Thanks!