PDA

View Full Version : still trying to move forward ../ comments?

Elle D
10-13-2005, 01:16 PM
I would love some crtiique on my site as it is developing.

Right now I have alot of inventory that I need to photograph and put up, but not enough hours in the day to do so!! I'm finding it very difficult to maintain the site, make beads, make jewelry, and photograph it all for posting, on my "off "time from my full time day job, and can't afford to hire help - heck that's why I have a DIY site!!

I also am struggling to put together a "gallery" page that I like - any ideas?

Thanks
Elle D

Elle D
10-20-2005, 05:00 PM
bump.... it's been a week... nobody? :(

Lenda
10-27-2005, 08:59 AM
Hi Elle. I can't believe how SLOW this forum is and quiet! :rolleyes: It's a shame and makes on feel WHY BOTHER!
I'll give you my opinion, hope you don't mind! And remember, I'm honest about what I think and I hope it doesn't hurt your feelings! It's not meant to. :)

I'm looking at your site now. While the falling beads are COOL and you have a link to turn it off, I'm not sure how well I like it. The beads are wonderful but I think I find it distracting.

I have to scroll to the right on your home page. I'm using Firefox as a browser and it's set at 800X600 which I think is standard. Even when I've scrolled to the right, the Raining Beads writing still doesn't fit and goes off the screen some. The logo looks wonderful, but I don't like where it ends and there's a blank white area with your email and the raining beads part. I don't think you need a navagation at the top under your logo AND at the right. I'd pick one or the other.

You shouldn't have your home link working when on your home page. I did that with my first site and someone pointed that out.

When I go to your jewelry page (I like the pull down menu) the page is scrunched, it doesn't fit the page this time and your email addy goes off the page.The rest of the page looks good though, nice pics of your work. Just a suggestion for those on dial up, not sure if it's the same throught your website. I see you have smaller pictures then links, but it's all still on that page. Those with dial up might not wait till it all loads to even click on it because there are so many images on that one page. It's more work to link to a seperate page for each item, but it's a thought. Or I'd just have no smaller images and leave the rest there since you've already done the work, but I don't think both sets of pictures are necessary, set it up like you have your lampwork page.

The rest of the site looks ok, but some pages go off the screen and some are scrunched. Try to make them consistant in size.

I think you're off to a great start. Just needs some minor tweeking! Good luck and sell tons!:D

claire.c
10-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Hi Elle, I only came across this posting by a very round about method, I think most people haven't seen that it is here which is why you haven't had much response yet.

I like the site, it's good and clear, the links are easy to see and the text reads easily. The logo with the parrot is appealing and fits in with the whole image, it's a good piece of graphic design. I have to say I'm not too keen on the rain, that's a personal thing and I know you can turn it off but it took me a while to figure that out! I think it's because I spend a lot of my work time looking for stuff on line so I'm always on the lookout for clear information, the first thing I want is to know if this site has what I'm interested in and I think your homepage does that.
I'm using a higher resolution than Lenda so I don't have any spacing problems, plus I'm on broadband so speed isn't an issue. I love the way you've presented the bead sets, they're clear and strong and very striking. I'm not so sure about the added flower bits in the photos of earrings and knitting needles, I think I'd prefer a plain but clear picture of what you're selling there.
Do check your website in as many resolutions as you can and with different browsers, it's amazing how different a site can look. And try to minimise clutter on the homepage, keep your logo and main links but don't have too many distractions, you want to woo the customer in there, not confuse them.
You've got a great site building up there, good luck with it.

juniorvarsity
10-27-2005, 12:20 PM
I'll put in my two cents, too. I don't like the falling beads, either. They are distracting. Also, when you are on the lampwork page, the link to the gallery disappears. I like static menus - the same on every page, no matter what page you are on. That way the user can always find their way to wherever from wherever.

I'm with Claire on the photos - I like the artistry with which they were arranged, but in the closeups (especially of the earrings) I'd get rid of the flowers and focus on the items you are trying to sell. As it is, you can't really see the earrings very well.

One other thing about site organization: if you had one page with all the jewelry on it, then someone shopping for earrings might see a bracelet that they like. As it is now, they'd have to click on a separate page - which they might not do. I'd get rid of the popup-style menu and go for an all-jewelry page with links at the top to each section (earrings, bracelets, etc) - and example pics to go with each link.

juniorvarsity
10-27-2005, 12:23 PM
One more thing...I'd have the links to ebay and your blog open a separate window.

Elle D
10-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Jessica, Claire and Lenda - my heroines - :angel:

Thank you SO much!!! I will take everything said into serious consideration and start exploring with your ideas. I have especially struggled with how to present an array/gallery of items that is eye pleasing yet not too big to load or little to make out details.

It's terrific to see things through new eyes. I'll let you know how it's going "post - tweak" - which may take a while :-) but I greatly appreciate your taking the time to look around!

Thanks again

Fondly
Elle D

NorLigh
11-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Hello- the only thing I can say it that I agree on the raining beads... it is a bit distracting and busy. Other than that I think your site looks great. I have no problems with the size of the pages on my screen. Keep up the great work, and I love the parrot!

PS- your beads are awesome also!