PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and pastels ????

scall0way
10-12-2005, 11:51 PM
This has happened to me twice in the last couple days, and I'm wondering how common it is. I'm in the office and my pastel box is open on the floor behind me. Suddenly I hear a crunching sound!

I turn around, and there is my 14-year-old mutt, Maggie, lying on the floor next to me happily chomping on one of my pastels as if it is a dog treat. I jump up to stop her and salvage what I can, but it's not much, so I have lost most of a white and most of a brown.

This has never happened before, but before I started VPONing my pastels were always up on a table. Now the floor is the only place I can keep them and still have access to them while I paint and use a webcam. I can't understand what the attraction is. Does anyone else have pastelhounds?

khourianya
10-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Abner has alwys been indifferent, though I'm not sure he has ever seena pastel out of my hand!

Do you have a TV tray you could set them on, perhaps?

I'd hate to think tht VPON was the reason for the demise of your pastels..though it's reassuring to see him only going for the doggie biscuit coloured pastels

HarvestMoon
10-13-2005, 03:49 AM
My Basset Hound will eat anything- and 'table surfs' - so once I had a box of brand new great americans- about a dozen that I had just brought in from the mail. He crunched happily away on them (and the box), and the rest had bitten the dust on the floor. He seemed to have no ill effects from it at all, did not even get in much trouble after giving me those basset eyes and ears.... but I once had a dog that ate a tube of yellow ochre oil paint and was quite sick- threw up most of the night- under the bed- in an apartment with light carpet. Our milk bones come in all differen colors, and the oher dogs, when in the studio, are sure I am painting with dog biscuits and being mean to hold out on them, but they don't actively try to nab them.

khourianya
10-15-2005, 02:52 AM
hmmm..I spoke too soon...had to move my pastels a bit lower last night to do the VPON paintout and caught abner licking the inside of the pastel box today...none have been eaten yet...but definite clean spots on a couple

K Taylor-Green
10-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Dog chews on pastels of multiple colors. In continued nosiness, dog licks on paper, transferring colors in a pattern. Owner scolds dog, but exclaims at colorful paper "painted" by dog! Frames it as a joke. Neighbor sees it. "I want one!" Offers money.Owner now training dog to chew pastels and lick them onto paper. Dog becomes rich and famous, but dies young as result of eating pastels. He leaves behind only a few works, which skyrocket in value due to death of dog. Which , of course, now makes owner rich!
I could go on..............but don't want to get things thrown at me!

HarvestMoon
10-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Kate- there is one site where there is artwork by Elephants- they sell for quite a lot- they seem to have a talent for holding a paintbrush and painting.... they are just into curved lines and such though, not portraits. But this is how they help afford to maintain these elephants in the preserve..... I just got through chasing my pastel eating basset through the rocks and cactus as he stampeeded all the goats, sheep, and donkeys- he was quite proud of himself- they usually ignore him, but since I had the really BAD goat chaser on a leash he just HAD to show off. So I may try that dog art bit LOL....

khourianya
10-15-2005, 02:31 PM
lol - kate

while I was in school, I actually got to film the elephant painting at the Calgary Zoo. SHe's quite famous for it. Paints every thursday and they sell for $500+ each. It was quite cool to watch it live...

HarvestMoon
10-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Perhaps I can claim mine were done by an elephant and they might sell LOL.... the goats show some talent- but they prefer to eat hunks out of the paper not paint

khourianya
10-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Nah - I think you'd do better marketing yourself....elephants might mistake the pastels for colourful peanuts....

And - here's a link about Calgary's painting Elephant...just for fun:
http://www.calgaryzoo.org/HelpingTheZoo/Donations/kamala_paintings.htm