PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a 'scrape-off' and maintaining transitions?

snakum
01-19-2002, 10:45 PM
My first oil on canvas had so many problems I decided to start scraping and repainting. The scraping is going OK but I didn't think about how I would re-establish the background/wall colors which move from dark to light near the handle of the pitcher. It appears I'm going to have a huge mess when I get back to the wall. Right now I'm thinking I'm gonna' have to just lay the background on pretty thick and shrink the lighted area. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Minh

Oh ... and I know the shadow is severely goofy ... it was a moment of temporary insanity when building the charcoal underdrawing from three different life sketches, in which the lighting was changed alot for each one.

dnip24
01-19-2002, 10:54 PM
Doesn't look too bad! I like it!:)

Mario
01-20-2002, 05:10 PM
OK, to begin with, would you tell us just what this setup looks like? Are you painting from a still life set up in front of you? My guess is NO.
If not, just where are you getting these images from?
If it is a still life set up, can you post a picture of it here? I doubt that you can be painting what you are observing. Still, I respect your courage in posting your first oils in this forum and you are asking good questions, so please, continue.:evil: :cat:

snakum
01-20-2002, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I don't have photos of the setup. I did three sketches of this pic using a table, apples, and window in my living room, the pumpkin came from another painting, and the pitcher came from one of my first decent pastel pieces. Sort of a 'paste up' still life to practice glazes and using retouch varnish (not used yet).

My first post may have been confusing, I guess I should rephrase the question: Can someone offer any tips, hints, suggestions for repairing in general? Or more specifically, how to maintain the transition of dark to light on the wall, in light of the mess I now have going on with the pitcher handle repair? The perspective was so messed up I had no choice but scrape it.

I've got a feeling I'm going to have to go back over it very heavy to cover the repair, and just accept the fact that my 'clean lighted area' will just be smaller.

Thanks again (and in advance) for any help at all.

Minh
(Still teacherless in G'boro)

Mario
01-21-2002, 11:01 AM
Hi Minh,
I noticed the "still teacherlesss", I'm guessing that your saying that you can't find a suitable teacher where you are.
I suggest that you learned what there was to learn from this painting and that going on to the next painting would be the most efficient thing to do. It's easy to get too bogged down in one painting and missing the forest for the trees. Just chalk it up as one experiment done and on to the next.
I recommend that you spend some time attempting to paint what you see...precisely as you see it not as you "think" it ought to look like. You might even try squinting hard so as to knock out the minute details and just deal with the different masses of color. Just my opinion, I hope it helps get you going on more painting. (I, myself am currently stuck) LOL
:D :p

snakum
01-21-2002, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, Mario. Yes, I'm still teacherless, but I found (after a search so exhausting it's ridiculous) a lady near me who was a student of Daniel Greene and Frank Covino, which is the style I want to concentrate on to learn the craft. She has classes starting again in March and I'm going to try to talk her into helping just a little teeny tiny bit before that, if possible. I've called and 'netted' all over the place to find a teacher who teaches towards realist/portrait painting.

This canvas is, I guess, just a practice piece where I'm trying out different techniques and materials. I have also started a canvas board using the 'Titian' demo in Joseph Sheppard's book, which is a great book IMHO for learning about working sequences.

Thanks again,

Minh Thong