PDA

View Full Version : Watching Richard Paint (Yes, Schmid!!)

Brad M.
05-31-2005, 05:10 PM
I was invited up to a weekend painting event at Village Arts in Putney, VT. On Saturday Richard Schmid gave a painting demo. He is truly remarkable, it's like watching Barishnikov dance. You see the movements and understand what he is doing, but to be able to do it is beyond your abilities. It is amazing how loose and almost carefree his style is. And then he brings it all together with these finishing touches.
They video taped him for a possible future DVD. He didn't finish the painting, which he will do in his studio. They will video his studio work also.
Here is some pics of the event with a WIP of his painting.

1. Everyone watching.
2. Richard explains it all
3. The scene and the start of his painting
4. The initial stage
5. The block-in is complete and the painting begun

Brad M.
05-31-2005, 05:13 PM
6. About 2 hours later, where he ended.
7. A closeup of the top portion.

ndarvie
05-31-2005, 05:34 PM
Hi Brad,
You were very fortunate to have that experience. He truly is an amazing painter. I have two of his videos. I love to watch them.

frisbee1948
05-31-2005, 05:35 PM
You are so fortunate to be able to attend this event. I'm sure you will always remember it.

JamieWG
05-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Brad, you lucky devil you!!! <big grin> Thanks so much for sharing pics with us. That must have been a heck of a thrilling day.

Jamie

blondheim12
05-31-2005, 06:21 PM
Totally cool Brad. I'm so envious!!!
Love,
Linda

James or Jimmy Jim
05-31-2005, 06:25 PM
You lucky, lucky human. :D I read about the weekend on his web site.

I'll be getting that DVD if and when it comes out - I have all the others.

Thanks for the photos. Love his work ... loose, yet realistic and great edges.

Brad M.
05-31-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks, I do feel very fortunate that I was able to be there. In the Village Arts Gallery were several originals by him and his wife, Nancy. That was also an incredible treat :D

jacki7154
05-31-2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks so much Brad for sharing this. . . . . what a day that must have been.

Bruce Newman
05-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Very, very cool, Brad! Thanks for posting this.

LarrySeiler
05-31-2005, 08:50 PM
awesome...and ditto everyone on your good fortune. Amazing...

Larry

Marc Hanson
05-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Brad,
I know how lucky you are! Isn't it a thing of beauty to see what he can do? I'm envious :envy: even having seen him work myself. Seeing that has to have given you a great boost to work harder.

Make you want to work faster??? :D Thanks for sharing.

Brad M.
05-31-2005, 11:25 PM
He also had a slide show on Sunday which was a retrospective of his work which he narrated live. It was amazing how good he was even from his early paintings when he lived in NY. This man could always paint!!
We all did some painting over the weekend and I was definately inspired to push myself.
I'll probably post those tomorrow, and even though no one will mistake my work for Schmids, I tried to approach it more like he does. A bit looser and bolder to start. Thinking about temperature and edges...
Thanks,

Ps to Marc; I may want to work faster, but I also want to dance better when I watch Fred Astair. But want ain't can :rolleyes:

Bill Foehringer
06-01-2005, 01:02 AM
Thanks for making the effort to share your experience. I sure appreciate it. BillF

Eugene Veszely
06-01-2005, 08:05 AM
Im amazed at how he pulled it all together after seeing the start he made!! :)

Robert
06-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Brad, what a treat - thanks! I admire his work a lot. Interesting that he was going to finish the demo in the studio; that "humanizes" him even more for me. I've also heard that he's always been a very, very hard worker.

daniellat
06-01-2005, 08:18 AM
Wow, simply wow. Thanks for sharing your amazing experience with us.

Dani

JanB
06-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Brad thanks so much for sharing this! I have a question for anyone to answer...is there a website where I can see a large selection of Schmid's landscapes? I search and search on the net and end up seeing not more than 6-10 of the same pieces over and over and many of those are his still lifes (which *don't shoot* I don't really care for :o and portraits which are stunning but I'm not really into painting portraits) It's his amazing landscapes I want to see!! So any resources for his landscape work would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brad M.
06-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Im amazed at how he pulled it all together after seeing the start he made!! :)

That was a comment a lot of us there made. We thought the start did not look that good, but it all came together.
A good leason about not trying to make everything just right in the intial stages.

James or Jimmy Jim
06-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Brad thanks so much for sharing this! I have a question for anyone to answer...is there a website where I can see a large selection of Schmid's landscapes? I search and search on the net and end up seeing not more than 6-10 of the same pieces over and over and many of those are his still lifes (which *don't shoot* I don't really care for :o and portraits which are stunning but I'm not really into painting portraits) It's his amazing landscapes I want to see!! So any resources for his landscape work would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jan, I have 62 of his images from various web sites, 21 of which are landscapes. These don't include the ones in Alla Prima (or the ones Marc sent me - thanks Marc!). I agree with you regarding "some" of his still lifes, but many are outstanding, like "rhododendron" and "lilies".

His portraits are amazing.

JanB
06-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Jim his florals are beautiful! Maybe the next painting I sell I'll have to buy Alla Prima instead of more paint and canvas LOL

antgeek
06-02-2005, 07:29 AM
this is awesome, thanks for giving us a glimpse. he is truly a modern master. :clap: :clap:

Yokovich
06-03-2005, 03:15 AM
wow

what is he painting on--is it paper?

Brad M.
06-03-2005, 12:30 PM
wow

what is he painting on--is it paper?

He was painting on canvas, taped to a board. He can stretch it later and has the option of croping it.

Hey Jim, can you share some of the sites where you got his images?

nancymae
06-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Brad...you are very lucky indeed! Yes, we would love to see the work that was inspired by your workshop! Go for it!! I just finished watching the November video..where he painted in the snow in VT. I see he is still wearing his "lucky hat"! One of the most starking ways he did to teach was to put up everything in the ground that he painted. It wasn't only green grass...he had dried weeds, stones..and even animal excrement! I couldn't believe it when he put that piece of P**P on his palette! I remember it EVERY time I put down my grassy areas...to look and really see all the colors out there.

I think his videos are just wonderful! I would also LOVE to get his book Alla Prima...a friend has it...and she just loves it! Good present ideas for sure!

So...when are we going to see YOUR pictures???

Nancy

Brad M.
06-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Nancy, you can see them on this thread
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273849

I can't recommend "Alla Prima" highly enough. It is the single best book on painting technique ever written!

James or Jimmy Jim
06-03-2005, 08:38 PM
He was painting on canvas, taped to a board. He can stretch it later and has the option of croping it.

Hey Jim, can you share some of the sites where you got his images?

Brad, they came from many different places and many searches with Google. I can probably remember a few if I try hard enough. I could post some of the images, if that's not considered illegal.

Brad M.
06-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks Jim,
If they were already on the web I think it's okay. If not I'm sure a moderator will chime in.

James or Jimmy Jim
06-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Thanks Jim,
If they were already on the web I think it's okay. If not I'm sure a moderator will chime in.

Here ya go. You've probably seen these before.

James or Jimmy Jim
06-04-2005, 09:37 PM
And ... :D

James or Jimmy Jim
06-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Cough ...

James or Jimmy Jim
06-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Sorry :D

Eugene Veszely
06-05-2005, 10:37 AM
That was a comment a lot of us there made. We thought the start did not look that good, but it all came together.
A good leason about not trying to make everything just right in the intial stages.

I would have loved to have seen him do it.

sundiver
06-05-2005, 12:23 PM
This thread was a great read. Thanks, Brad. (and all other contributors, too!)

Brad M.
06-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks Jim, those are great.
And for those who haven't been there, check out Richard's own site:
http://www.richardschmid.com/

James or Jimmy Jim
06-05-2005, 08:27 PM
No problem Brad.

Now this is strange.

I went to visit my parents today, and while there I had a look at my father's latest watercolour paintings. He's 87 and doesn't paint from life anymore. :D :D Anyway, he had a copy of International Artist (2003) that had an article about our good Mr. Schmid. I was blown away ... my father knew who Richard Schmid was. He gave me the magazine. We bonded. :D :D :D

Eugene Veszely
06-06-2005, 11:27 AM
So Jim how many gig do you have full of Richard Schmid paintings?? ;)

Jiggs
06-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Brad,

Thanks for sharing your experience! It must have been an amazing to see him paint in person. I am so envious!

I really hope they make it into a DVD. I currently own all three of his DVD's and love them! I have probably watched each one a dozen times. As for his book Alla Prima nothing compares!

Bevan

cunparis
06-24-2005, 01:17 AM
I really hope they make it into a DVD. I currently own all three of his DVD's and love them! I have probably watched each one a dozen times. As for his book Alla Prima nothing compares!
Bevan

I just ordered Alla Prima this morning. I got the Soft Cover edition. At only $50 it's quite affordable. I emailed them to confirm that it's exactly the same as the hard cover, except for the cover (it's the same size). I love his landscape DVDs.

-Michael

Pilan
06-24-2005, 02:28 AM
wow!! awesome what an opportunity. Great photos Lucky you!!!

Thank you for sharing.....

P

James or Jimmy Jim
06-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Look what I found, a new painting from this year ... and an antique.

Does anyone here have his retrospective catalogue?

Jiggs
06-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Great more pictures! I do not have his retrospective catalog, but was thinking of ordering a copy.

By the way, I have the paperback version of Alla Prima and it is very nicely made. Really worth every penny! I highly recommend this book for both the art and the instruction.

Bevan

Lemonhead
07-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Speaking of the paperback "Alla Prima", I just picked up a copy from Borders Books, I ordered it through them online and it took a week and a half for it to come in. Wow, alot faster than what I was expecting. I have read on these forums that if you order it through his website that it takes forever to get it, so this might be a faster route if you live near a Borders store.

By the Way, OMG!!! Awesome artwork and very informative, and more importantly, inspirational. I want to go and paint every time I look at it.
Highly recommend this book to anyone thinking about oil painting!!!!

I was also flabbergasted at seeing the watercolor painting ( and gouache), he had done in the book, HOLY TOLDEO!!! Go get it.

Jeff H.

watmough
07-16-2005, 09:16 PM
I ordered from his website...took 4 days.

pampe
11-14-2005, 05:08 PM
wow...lucky!!!

Bruce Newman
11-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Does anyone here have his retrospective catalogue?
I do, Jim. My wife and I drove to Youngstown, OH in September, 2003 to hear him address a full house at the opening of his retrospective at the Butler Institute of Art. The exhibit was wonderful as you can imagine and I have a signed copy of the catalogue as a nice memory.

DLGardner
01-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Why did it take me so long to find this thread???????
I absolutely love his work, as I know you all do.

What a wonderful tip! this is great knowledge!!!!

Did you happen to write down his palette? I think a lot of the charm of his paintings is the subtle colors he uses. They are so pretty and earthy.

I know he uses a knife for detail, but does he use any smaller brushes? Also, what kind of brushes does he use, flats, brights, filberts? or a combination? I'm on page 4 of this thread and have to leave soon so if any of these questions are answered forget I asked, I'll find them...but if not could you please give us all your notes? I hoping to afford one of his videos soon. Any suggestions on the best one for starters?

Dianne

James or Jimmy Jim
01-03-2006, 07:55 PM
I do, Jim. My wife and I drove to Youngstown, OH in September, 2003 to hear him address a full house at the opening of his retrospective at the Butler Institute of Art. The exhibit was wonderful as you can imagine and I have a signed copy of the catalogue as a nice memory.

I missed this Bruce. Lucky you, it must have been better than King Kong. :D

I also have the catalogue. I'll trade you mine ... I'll even throw in "Richard & me". :D

Bill_Lathrop
03-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Dianne,

I have both his landscape videos - "June" and "November" Both are good, and would recommend both - November was the earlier and he talks at length about his brushes. It seems he primarily uses large bristle brushes for his block in and then those darn Langnickel Royal Sables for much of the finish. I've used those Langnickel brushes and find them good for the first couple days and then the bristles pull out. I have seen this question posted on his website - and he states he doesn't have the same problem. Of course they are cheap so maybe it's no big deal. And maybe the Langnickel people send him the best ones.

At any rate, both videos are well worth the money - I watch them over and over swearing silently at each brilliant maneuver he makes.

Best
Bill

Bruce Newman
04-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Diane: For info on his brushes and palette (and lots more!), go to his website. He has a "Questions and Answers" page here: http://www.richardschmid.com/faq.html

fanooch
06-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Richard is one of the modern masters. His facility cannot be matched by many people. He sort of poo poos tallent in favor of hard work. I agree that there is no substitute for hard work but Richard has always been in a class by himself. I attended the American Academy of Art in Chicago in the early 80's. This is where Richard went to school. We were eating lunch one day on the lower floor when someone ran in and said we had to come up and see this old film of a former student painting. We all ran up stairs and there on the film projector was Richard as a student (in the 60's?), painting flowers. He was a remarkable painter as a student. I asked the director of the school if they had a lot of films of former student and he said no, that Richards was the only one they had. He was so good as a student they took the time to film him then, which isnt as easy as it is now. Richard has always been in a class by himself.
Steve

garyjd
09-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Very loose but very nive, I really like his style.~Gary

Finch
10-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Alla Prima. . . We have lived with 90% of our belongings in boxes for 3 months, now. What books did I leave out to enjoy while we looked for a house? 2 marketing books, and Alla Prima. It's all I need. ahhhh.

michaelson
10-22-2007, 07:22 AM
His work is not that good compared to what we have seen in the past. It's meer childsplay really, though I do like his portraits.

Michaelson

cjorgensen
10-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Thank you for this treat!

James or Jimmy Jim
10-31-2007, 11:07 AM
His new DVD looks like it will be good.

Brad M.
11-10-2007, 12:32 PM
His work is not that good compared to what we have seen in the past. It's meer childsplay really, though I do like his portraits.

Michaelson

What the hell are you talking about!?!
Are you just joking?

wpy
11-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Actually, he's not joking. Others have made the same comments. The quality of Schmid's painting style, both negative and positive, has been discussed in the thread below, entitled "Is it sloppy or good art?"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411758

ejtupi
11-17-2007, 06:47 PM
He really feels he can always improve. I hear he posts in the Open Critique forum under an alias.... I think someone said he calls himself Thumbs....

Kidding!

Wonderful thread. I don't care if Schmid is getting better or getting worse. He's already made more amazing art than any ten painters could dream of creating in a lifetime. Whether he's gifted or the hardest working painter in the world doesn't matter to me; it only matters that he has made some of the most exquisite paintings and has inspired many, many artists and viewers. Good enough for me. I wouldn't even care if someone told me he was painting over enlarged photographs!

Thanks again for posting this thread, and a huge thanks for the posted pictures of some of Schmid's paintings. Awesome, just awesome.

Macy
11-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Those photo's are so cool! Thank you so much for sharing.

Skydog
01-14-2008, 09:05 PM

Richard Schmid is the greatest American Painter of all time, and probably the best painter of the 20th Century !!! My hat is off to him. I also happen to own one of his paintings from an old neighborhood in New York City (c.1959-61). I'm not sure what it's worth today -- I should have it appraised. I'll try to post a pic.

skydog

Skydog
01-14-2008, 09:17 PM
oops

try this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2008/9144-Schmid_Streetscape.JPG

Enjoy!

alvin
05-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Here's a little bit more of that painting in the studio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E74zPtWnmNQ

rooze23
04-24-2009, 06:26 PM
He is truly one of the greatest.

Carol(SA)
10-07-2010, 01:24 PM
What a wonderful day you must have had. How I envy you. Top artists never seem to tour SA which is so sad. The only one we have seen was Hazel Sloane. We usually have to make do with the DVD's! Thank you so much for sharing.

rkcim
10-14-2010, 12:26 PM
If I become famous I'll go there. I'd go there even if I don't become famous, lol. Africa is awesome. Lots of landscapes and culture.

~Kirby:thumbsup:

Jinglebob
12-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Great Painter for sure. It seems he was greatly influenced by Nicolai Fechin as were many of his generation.

nzuriel
03-25-2012, 01:45 PM
truly inspiring! :thumbsup:

manfrommerriam
07-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Richard Schmid is fantastic however there are a more than a few others who paint well. Take a look at Peter Fiore, Guan Weixing, Charles Gruppe, etc. etc. You could draw up a long list of fantastic painters.
Have fun, Dave

Visualone
10-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Many might already know this, but just in case someone does not know, there is a DVD of Richard painting this exact same scene available through his website.
I have been fortunate to watch him paint three or four times. He is amazing and truly an American master at alla prima work.

You might like to look at the work of Michael Klein and watch him paint. It is alla prima but even more realistic. Casey Baugh is another.