PDA

View Full Version : Tundra Mistress- Elemental WIP

rcollege
10-11-2005, 02:32 AM
Alright, finally got to the drawing board!
Here's my next wip- she is a new rendition of the home page on my web site.
She will be in watercolor. I'll take this to the finished sketch in which I will stop the post here, it will continue in the watercolor, figure and fantasy forums.
I'll be using a wealth of new information on watercolor materials. I'll share the info as I come to it. Plus I actually have some cash to put into this piece I can actually get some paints!

This should prove to be a very interesting thread.:wave:
Here are the first layout structural steps- as usual no references are used, I may find a reference of a snowy owl for details and structure.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2005/65334-owlwip.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2005/65334-owlwip2.jpg

Jade Scarlett
10-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi Roger:

WOW, WOW, WOW.:clap::clap::clap: Another one of your wonderful WIP's. Must get comfy. I'm not moving till the end of this (I'll only move from here if the house is on fire or to go to your other WIP thread on the Fantasy Forum:D).

Is She going to replace your other Lady on your home page?

JADE

Jade Scarlett
10-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Where's Azsure to keep me company???????

rcollege
10-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Great Jade!

Nothing like wonderful company!

It probably will replace the one on my Home Page.

I think Azure is in the drawing sketching forum- possibly the figure forum.
I also have this wip posted in the Drawing/ Sketching, Fantasy, and Figure forums.
We had a pirate thing going on in the figure forum, hence the name and Sandpiper.

aszurblue
10-12-2005, 04:50 AM
Hi Jade Here I be. :wave: Pulling up chair. Wouldn't miss one of Rogers lessons for anything. I was off in drawing when I first saw the post, didn't know it would be posted here too :D Azure :music:

Jade Scarlett
10-12-2005, 07:06 AM
Hi Aszure:wave:

Glad you here to share the popcorn;). Let the fun begin.:clap:

JADE

rcollege
10-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Popcorn sounds great Jade!
I'll get the cocoa, and coffee!

I'm still doing research on paints and just got a watercolor paper sampler from Saunders Waterford. Thanks to Saunders Paper company.
I'm impressed so far, It didn't seem to buckle much on 140# and nearly no buckling on 300#. The rough surface is like a cold pressed Arches- but the texture still shows great texture- I'll see in a few days how the colors fade into the paper.

I will also be getting some samples of 300# St. Armand paper. The staff at St. Armand seemed kind and very helpful. I'll give a mini-report when I get the samples.

She is slated to go on Strathmore Gemini or Fabriano handmade paper, but we'll see after the samples.

Here's the updated Progress-

I lowered and broadened the shoulders- this also made the neck longer.
I also lowered the breasts and made them larger in diameter to bring them closer to the breast bone - this compressed the stomach and hips- I will may have to drop the hips down a tad to remedy the stomach region. As I shade the tummy and hips I will find out if and how they need to be adjusted.
I started blocking out facial features- I would encourage this to be done much sooner...but I was focusing on the shoulders and torso knowing that the facial features are easiest for me.
Still more has to be done on propoetions and on the hand. The owl will also develop once she is layed out- then I can scale the owl to her- right now I think I would like the owl to be larger...we'll see as she progresses.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2005/65334-65334-owlwip31.jpg

aszurblue
10-13-2005, 05:32 AM
I love popcorn and cocoa.... Roger, you are the nieces teacher to let us eat and drink in class :rolleyes: Yes, you are right about the owl, they can be very large in real life. Azure :music:

rcollege
10-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Hi Azure good to see you in here as well!

I'm honored by your's and Jade's company.:)

rcollege
10-16-2005, 03:09 AM
I finally got the energy to do some more work on my WIP.
My eraser is now black and smudges rather than erasing.
Magic rub on drafting velumn with 9b, hb and 4b. I didn't intend for her to become his "contrasty" 22"x30" Ther's a lot left andhave I'm sure many corections. Hope you like her.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2005/65334-owl_wip4.jpg

rcollege
10-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Well after trying to draw something else, I couldn't stand having both her and the owl looking at me saying "finish me."

so... here's the completed sketch.
I'll transfer her to the hand made fabriano wc paper 140#.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2005/65334-owl_wip5.jpg

Jade Scarlett
10-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi Roger, I just saw her on the Fantasy Channel and posted there. But here I am as well, wherever you take her I'll follow;).

BTW, love your new sig line. So true.....:rolleyes:

JADE

rcollege
10-21-2005, 01:23 AM
Thanks Jade!

Here's the next step- I transferred her to the watercolor paper using graphite paper.
Then I did the first layer using just Maimeri raw sienna- as you can see I start shading right away.

I bought some Sennelier Raw Sienna and Golden Ochre. I'll be using them in this piece. The Sennelier's do dry to a nice sheen and don't seem to soak ito the paper as much...not only that you can see pigment particles of varing sizes in their earth tones...in which they have many. Their ultramarine light is almost as striking dry as when wet. Same with their reds. They don't have as much rough texture- but unlike the others they have a peaceful but stimulating quality after they dry for a few days...they change to harmonize with the paper rather than soaking in- their burnt sienna seems to have different colors of pigments- but you can tell that it the same pigment.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2005/65334-owl_wip6.jpg

Jade Scarlett
10-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Hi Roger and WOW:clap::clap::clap:, only the first step and it already shows how beautiful She is going to be!

I have a question. You said "just" raw sienna. Does that mean you did the shading with a darker value of it? And do you start by working on the shaded areas then proceed to the rest or the other way around?

BTW, thanks for finding just the word I was looking for to describe what I felt towards the Sennelier pigments I tried - peaceful. I just bought a few tubes - raw and burnt siennas + raw and burnt umbers + red ochre and, like I said, I felt something different about those pigments that the others I have didn't give me. It was really interesting the way they're calling me from the moment I entered the store and saw the display. I wasn't even planning on getting paints that day, just paper and india ink. I picked up the tubes and couldn't even put them in the bag. Just had to hold them and get home as fast as possible to try it all, that's how strong the calling was! Feel free to comment on my newest insanity, as if I don't have enough! Maybe I was just sensitive to your feelings for the pigments and someway, somehow I picked up on it and it became my own. I want to get some of their blues, reds and greens. Any suggestions other than the ultramarine you liked so?
Also, I want to have a go at Old Hollands, just a few tubes. What colors would you recommend that would fit well into the stuff I'm painting now? No feelings involved here, I'm just really curious about this whole talk of how O.H. has very particular textures and behave like no other brand, etc. Besides, you know I'm a texture freak. Everything I paint has to have so much of it as to make me feel like I "must" touch it!

I just bought a tube of a new WN color - Terre Verte Yellow Shade and I just looooooove it!!! Beautiful color, so natural it can be used straight from the tube. I have a thing for earthy greens - my favorites being the above mentioned, regular terre verte, chromium oxide and olive green. My leaves always end up looking like it's almost fall. But the funny thing is that for the past few days I've developed this temporary insanity for bright screaming greens - cobalt green and viridian being the favorites. Go figure... Hopefully it's just a phase, wish I knew the reason...:confused:

Anxiously waiting for next step.....

JADE:cat:

rcollege
10-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Jade,

Thank you for your wonderful comments.

I can't Believe I said raw sienna- :o I meant raw UMBER....This color is the base of all my skin tones. And yes- I just use more paint in the shadows and let it bleed into light washes in the other areas. I then smooth out what ever needs to be smoother with the same brush.

As far as Old Holland...Golden Barok is a wonderful color exclusive to them.
For a great bright bu natural green try Old Holland Golden green deep.
Brown ochre and red ochre are great and Vine black is a must if you like texture!

Sennelier's french vermillion is great! So vivid. I'm going to eventually get their terre verte, and prussian blue(my favorite blue). Sap green is such a good color as well. I may need a turquoise down the road as well.

well my son is wreaking havock, :p so I need to go...:D
I'll continue later and should have an update!

rcollege
10-25-2005, 02:48 AM
OK! Jade, Azure and others, Here is the update.

The first is a layer of Sennelier Raw Umber and the 2nd is an addition of a layer of Sennelier's burnt sienna and gold ochre. The two brushes are toshow what size brushes I used. The smaller one Beaver Hair, the Larger grey fox fur. I'm still debating on the bird- the owl may be too earthly.:) An imaginary one may look more ethereal.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2005/65334-owl_wip7.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2005/65334-owl_wip8.jpg

Jade Scarlett
10-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Hi guys, where are you??? Been all over searching for my teacher and my classmate Aszure. Just back from The Figure, what a fine crowd hangs out there! Had a quick stop at the Fantasy Forum too, but you guys are hiding really well... :(

Roger, Aszure, come out, come out wherever you are.... (somehow this sounds creepy after I saw that movie with Dakota Fanning...:rolleyes:)

Be back later.

JADE

rcollege
10-27-2005, 02:51 AM
Good to see you here too Jade!

Here's an update...got a little done, added purple in the shadows.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2005/65334-owl_wip_9.jpg