PDA

View Full Version : Earnscliffe Re-Visited

seedy
10-10-2005, 01:43 PM
A while back, I posted this painting of the residence of the High Commissioner to Britain.
Thanks to all the comments and while I was happy with the looseness of it, thats not really my style.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2005/21167-Earns500WC04.jpg

So..... I did a new one, since I'm working on a way of doing buildings that I have seen done by some fine Asian artists. Normal values for the shadow side and lighter values for the sunny side. I went a touch heavy on the shadow side, but thats it.
I took some advise from the 1st one and dropped the front trees, but that meant I had the space to focus on some flowers in an urn at the front.
Comments and critiques are more than welcome.

Full Sheet Fabriano Artistico 300#....DaVinci paints.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2005/21167-Earscliffe_OWS-WC500.jpg

Click For Larger (http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/5704/earscliffeowsimageshack0vz.jpg)

artmom
10-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Well, Brian, I liked the first one.

However, I also like the second one! :D In this one, my eye is drawn to the section with the two bay windows, then it travels around the painting.

In the first one, my eye went first to the blue foliage, and then to the rest of the painting.

So, probably the second is the more successful composition.

Anyhow, well done!

Lyn

JustjoGA
10-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Brian, since I love old buildings, I think this one (#3)
is excellent.... However, (personal preference) I
really would have liked some definition in the grass/
foreground... rather than the drips/runs... JMHO.

Jo in Georgia

seedy
10-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi....
Lyn....
Thank you and in the 1st the windows where inaccurate. Am using this for an entry
into a juried show and if its picked, I want it to be accurate....I can blame the lack of trees on that licence that we use now and then.

Jo.....
Juries love drips/runs....artistic don't you know...(said with nose in the air) ;-)
Actually it's supposed to match the treatment in the tree....

jaydiva
10-10-2005, 04:49 PM
They're both very well done but i do prefer the second one. The focus is more on the beautiful house and i absolutely love the details of it!!!
To let the foreground "run" off like that is very clever :clap:

Juttahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/32313-51j.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/32313-tn.jpg

my new art website (http://www.diva-design.de/JBB/index.htm)

painterbear
10-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Brian,

Absolutely beautiful. Just enough detail to satisfy my detail-hungry soul, but enough of the drips and runs and spatteers to satisfy the creative side of me.

Lovely values and textures in the building.

Sylvia

Strider
10-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Hey Seedy, really liked the first when you posted, but I think this even better. It has such a nice balance! Also, totally love the FG! Are there any artist's links in particular you could share demo'g this style? This baby totally grabs my attention... :wave:

seedy
10-10-2005, 07:43 PM
hi...
Sylvia...
I could'nt have said it better....
Thank you ....lots....

Kevin.....
OK.... try this artist.... Morten Solberg...hope I have the right name.....if I don't, Ill get back to you.
Checked it out.....just google it.
Problem is....he has such a recognizable style that you really have to interpret it so that no-one thinks you are copying.....
He is really into wildlife, so I guess using it on buildings should not be a problem....
I also forgot something else....
This is from a photo from a newspaper....
I called them.....and for once got through to to photo editor....he was more than pleased to give me permission, but gave me the freelance photographer's name to double check.......the photographer actually answered my call, but was a little bit puzzled because as he said...."its their property"....but he was more than willing to let me paint it.....
That was nice, and as I have suspected all along....they are more than happy to oblige....
Phew....I'm done.

Strider
10-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Checked Solberg out, Seedy. Man, some incredible stuff. He really covers a lot of ground, from abstract to realism. I think you have your own beaut of a style and this painting shows it...now to keep figuring out my own! ha! Funny about the photographer's reaction... :wave:

finedreams
10-10-2005, 10:17 PM
This is so nice Brian! I really wonder how you did a foreground. Seems so wonderful. Not like there is a receipe. lol I hope it gets into a show. It most definitelly should! Olga

CharM
10-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Well this second version could have knocked me over with a feather!!! Wow! The balance of detail vs. washey, painterly drips and drabs is masterful... It's a fine composition... exercising your licence is a good thing... Wishing you the very best of luck with the jury... although, if I were a betting woman, my money would be on your acceptance...

AmyLC
10-11-2005, 12:16 AM
This is AMAZING!!! I'm new here...just saw the first one for the first time right now and thought it was really unique and beautiful. I would have been happy to stop right there. Then I scrolled down.....I really love the 2nd. I really like the combo of detail in the house and the drips and spatters. I really like how much white paper is left, too.

Let us know how the show goes.

juneto
10-11-2005, 03:47 AM
Brian ,
I love the second , it is so watercolory and delicate . I have a problem with all the weight on the right side and wish there was a balance of some kind on the left.
Don't think it has to be much, just some visual weight .
June

seedy
10-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Hi....
Kevin....I think style just comes to an artist over time and I hope we have a lot of time.........and of course lots of paintings help.
I intend to credit the newspaper and the photographer on the back of the painting.

Olga.....
I did the f/g with a lot of paper towels covering the house.....and the walls....
Actually its not too hard ...lots of wet paint and a hair dryer on high and hope the paint goes in the right direction....I did have a plan or an idea and that was to leave some white up the center.

Char...
Thanks for the kind words....

Amy....
Thank you and welcome to WC....

June....
I agree with you.....when I started the drawing, I wanted the front corner of the house to be off the c/l somewhat. When I finished it, I realized it had moved a lot of the house to the right, but I was darned if I'd draw all that again.
The left of the painting is really just sky. It sits on a bluff overlooking the Ottawa River. Too late to work on it...Photos are in the lab....deadline Fri....
Will keep it in mind for future stuff....

Any comments re....Click for Larger....anybody click on it?
Thanks.

ale.l
10-11-2005, 08:17 AM
It's hard to put my finger to it but I love this immensely. I think I prefer the delicacy of the first painting somehow, although the second one is equally attractive. It must be this minimalist "white" approach .... and absence of purple :)

CharM
10-11-2005, 08:34 AM
I did... just thought you were being clever as well as artistic... :evil:

Seriously... I really like being able to see a larger image... the small ones we are restricted to, don't do anyone's work justice...

Thank you...

Tunek
10-11-2005, 08:42 AM
WOW Brian...those are great...I'm a sucker of loose style! the palete is gorgeous!

Celeste McCall
10-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Yep, Brian, this IS your style!!!!! Much more YOU. :)

LOVE IT!!!!!

Your style is flamboyant and watercolor-ey but the starburst or diagonals are also evident in the work of yours that really attracts my eye. And the bleeding of colors into each other...WOW.

High contrast and the foreground takes over in this painting....can't take my eyes off of it. So neat to look at. How do you do that? Almost looks like you throw paint at it....but it's too controlled for a 'throw'. Really interesting textures and directions of linear elements.

I like both, but the second sizzles my skillet. :)

Lots of clappies and smilies

Lynn Quinn
10-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi....

Any comments re....Click for Larger....anybody click on it?
Thanks.

Definitely, Brian! That's great! There's another artists website that uses Imageshack for uploading pics.Does it cost you anything to use this?

BTW, I really, really like both of these. Prefer the comp. of the first, but the way you painted the house in the second. Good luck in the juried show, but I doubt you'll need it!

ASpencer
10-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Brian, they are both gorgeous. I love everything about them especially the drips and runs. Well done, will give you my merit point!

Amanda

Strawberry Wine
10-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Brian, the first one I missed and now seeing them both together, the second one is bliss with a brush. I do so much want to live in this house you have painted. (sigh)

Love the purple on the shadow side of the house !!! Excellent lost edges into the tree.

Full sheet, stunning, the jurers will be stopped in their tracks with this painting. Quoting Char, "They will be gobsmacked" . BIS material .

Cheers

Gail

Edit: Brian, I just went back to see the larger version......Man, this painting just rocks my socks off. :clap:

seedy
10-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Hi....
Ale....you funny guy you....I agree with you about the first one being "minimal", and I like the placement on the paper better....no more purple comments from me....

Char and Lynn.....
I especially like the larger image on the landscape view....Would think it would be interesting to see a square image.....
It does'nt cost anything......but takes a little trial and error to settle on the image size.....
If you want to try it, please don't hesitate to get in touch if you get stuck.

Celeste...."sizzles your skillet".....my....my....sure beats "turning your crank"
It is thrown, but with direction, and then a little help with a hair dryer on full blast...
Have to sneek up on the paint....and cover the rest of the painting....just in case....

Amanda....
Thanks for the comments and the merit point.

Gail....rocks, socks, sizzle and skillet....will have to remember these kind words ;-)
Not too worried about the juried show......
But would love to sell it to someone "in high places" in Ottawa....would be nice....
Living there? Great view.......you could see my shack in Gatineau from there ;-)

devotedmomof7
10-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Brian: Both are absolutely gorgeous!! I would love to see the second house set in the first foreground/background. I actually remember that first painting as one of my WC favorites! Your detail work on the second is amazing!! The more pronounced value contrasts really take it over the top. I agree with June's comments, as well.

Cheryl

seedy
10-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Hi Cheryl......
There is always something about the first that does'nt make it into the second....kinda like making sauce for bbq spare-ribs, always delicious but never the same.....
Or having 7 kids.....;-) something about each of them you love, but no two are the same......geez, I''m getting melancholy in my old age....