PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of these??

StefaniBeads
10-10-2005, 11:38 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-10-2005/16856_DSCN5833.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: What do you think of these??
Year Created: 2005
Dimension: 16mm x 18mm x 8mm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
These are squeezed beads using the CBS: turquoise base with a multi-color twisty of several blues and greens "painted" on and melted in. They all have an etched finish. The spacers are pretty tiny - 5mm x 8mm. All are made on 1/16" mandrels.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm trying to get "out of round" and use my CBS and masher more often. My questions are: These beads are somewhat irregular in the shapes, but is this okay? Some of them look more like lima beads with a slightly bigger "butt" on one end.

Also, is 5 beads enough for a set? The whole strand including the Bali is 5 1/4" long. Are they sellable? Yes? No? If I were to sell them I would take a better picture than this, and with a white background.

Please be honest and don't be afraid to hurt my feelers! :D

CarlaBeads
10-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Hey Lisa. :) Personally, I think they're great! I was a jewelry designer/beader first before lampworking, and I can tell you honestly that I would use these beads in something I designed (probably a bracelet since it's a smaller set). I like that they are a little bit irregular on the ends. The main thing is that they are all a consistent size. I would definitely not buy something that had different sized beads that were supposed to be a "set" unless they were different types of beads. You are the queen of consistent sized round/donut beads though, so i'm sure your squeezed beads will be the same! :) As far as it only being five beads, I think it's fine because you have the spacers. I would add things to these anyway if I were to design with them (ie: swarovski's, bead caps, etc...) and with a clasp, that would make the length perfect for a bracelet. I actually don't like it if there are TOO many beads in a set because I end up with leftover beads that I can't really do anything with. I tend to make small sets myself though (I can't sit and do the same type of bead over and over again for long... I could have adult ADD - lol), so may be biased in my opinion. ;)

Anyway - sorry for the long reply. I do like the beads, and do think they will sell. :)

Carla

collectiblesbyrose
10-10-2005, 01:38 PM
The beads are beautiful! Yes, a white background would look much better as you stated. Perfect size for a bracelet! I love the tiny spacers and I know they are a pain to make.

Silverhorse beads
10-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Hi Lisa, I really like your beads. I love the color and the size is perfect.
I think they would be perfect for a bracelet. It's definitely something I would buy.

mostlydetails
10-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Lisa,

I really like them! If I'm making a set of squeezed beads, I like to have at least 5-6 for a set, so that's just about right, especially when you add the spacers. I envy your consistent size!

--Liz

cghipp
10-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Here's an altered shot of the beads without the pink background. I think the original image is just a teense out of focus.

joalrabr
10-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Lisa,
All of your beads always look wonderful to me, but I just had an idea! Why don't you ask the Wearable Art Forum?
Joan

StefaniBeads
10-11-2005, 07:38 AM
Thanks to all of you! :)

You have definitely encouraged me to do some more squeezin'! ;) :D

I really wasn't sure about the number of beads preferred in a set like this so I had to ask. I find that the smaller sets of mine (the lil' round beads) sell better than the larger sets! Maybe it is because 7-9 sell better for bracelets. Yeah, I can see why there might be leftovers if buying say, like sets of 13-15 unless they are bigger more elaborately decorated beads that you can put lampwork spacers in between. That kind of set would make a necklace or even two jewelry pieces to match.

Ellen Altamore
10-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Personally, Lisa, I like irregular shapes. Who needs perfection, anyway? Love the colors too.

ValorieCox
10-12-2005, 08:49 PM
When I think of your work Lisa, I think of perfectly shaped beads, as round and perfect matched as can be. These seem a tiny bit of a let down from what I've come to expect from you because of the irregularity.

The colors and number of beads in the set however, yes I like that!

Val

basementbeader
10-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Lisa:
I don't think the irregularity matters. Spaced apart with silver and other beads for texture, it will not be noticed. I personally would probably use four squeezed and a couple spacers with some crystals and silver to make a watch, the spacers for earrings and the left over squeezed bead for a pendant. So the set size is perfect. You are right on track with the white background being a bit better for showcasing the color.
Kay

xoticbead
10-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Lisa
I really think this set is "just right". maybe it's my eye but I really cant see the irrgulatory ( sp?) you mentioned.
Liz

beadchick
10-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Lisa:

I'm like Carla - I've bean a jewelry designer/beader/wiretwister for several years prior to being a lampworker. I love your set. The colors are gorgeous. When I scrolled down, I flashed over the photo too fast and the colors made me think of turquoise (the stone) which I love. As a designer, when purchasing beads, I want enough beads to make a bracelet and earrings as those are the big sellers. I would probably want a strand with 5 to 8 of the squeezed beads.

I don't mind the shapes being a little irregular as long as they look related, or as Carla said - they look consistent. Frankly, I prefer a little irregularity (er, as far as beads go - LOL) It gives the beads more character, and looks like they were made by an artist and not something mass produced (ack!)

I think these beads are very sellable. I do think of turquoise as more of a summer or spring color, but, regardless of the season, I think anyone who loves this color will snatch it up!

For what it's worth,

Amber