PDA

View Full Version : Etching Drypoint??

Tony Perrotta
01-19-2002, 06:11 PM
Hi all, Would you please explain the definition and the differences between all these printing methods. Is etching on metal done with engraving tools? In drypoint is the design scratched into the surface? With what kind of tool? What is the other method intaglio??((Spelling??)) Please explain these methods, I might be interested. Hopefully I will get my lino next week and I'll be able to start cutting, looking foward to it.

Tony

sassybird
01-19-2002, 07:22 PM
Tony, drypoint is a method of raising a burr on the plate with an etching needle (whistlers needle), and there are other tools you can use to hand etch a plate.

Intaglio is the method of acid etching through different grounds (stop outs), and can be combined with dry point also. The acid etches into the plate whereas the drypoint raised a burr to collect the ink.

You really should get The Complete Printmaker when you can afford it. I believe Gisela got hers through amazon.com for a very reasonable price. There are so many different ways to print, and that book covers the majority of them. But, until you do get it I will be happy to answer any questions you have, or if I can't then someone else will probably have the answer for you.

Tony Perrotta
01-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Hi Sas and thanks, I was thinking that an etching was done with etching tools like those used by engravers of dies for coins. I used to be into coin collecting big time, alot of great artists participate in the design and making of a coin. As far as the intaglio, there is a similiar method in the modeling world, it is used to make very small and( thin (less than 1mm.)parts from brass plates, the acid etches around the piece you are etching, leaving you with the piece, the detail that they get and the small sizes are incredible. I think I saw that book at Barnes and Noble, I'll have to check it out again, I know I saw a printmaking book there. I can't wait till my lino comes this week, I think I will stick with that and see how I do.

Thanks Tony

Cabal
01-25-2002, 01:32 AM
when printing with an image made in drypoint you get far less prints out of the plate as the burs sticking out of the plate are far less durable than a chemically etched line. i'm guessing you'd get 10 to 15 good prints.

sassybird
01-25-2002, 01:02 PM
Very true, cabal. I always keep my editions below 20 when doing dry point. Thanks for mentioning that.