PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread Oct. 10 - 16

Paula Ford
10-10-2005, 01:19 AM
Good Morning Pastelists! Happy Monday morning to all of you!

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists, whether you are using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, it’s up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when you’re creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

Here is the link to last week’s thread
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298840

Please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)
Have LOTS of fun and I look forward to seeing all of your sketches!!

Paula

fortysomething
10-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Hi Paula. This is my first post to the weekly sketch. This one is at 1.5 hrs. (I need to remember to take my kitchen timer downstairs next time.) It's from a photo I took in when I lived in central Virginia.

Khadres
10-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Nice one, 40somethin...(there are lots of 40 somethings in here! Have you got any other maybe shorter nick name we can call ya? :D) Anyway, lovely fall scene!

fortysomething
10-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi Sooz. You can call me 40 anytime!:D I've been meaning to add a signature. Hehe, FAQ time again.

Khadres
10-10-2005, 04:25 PM
OK, 40 anytime! :D We have all sorts of strange names on here so that fits! Will be glad to see more of your work!

Paula Ford
10-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Hi 40! What a lovely fall scene!! That is my favorite time of year and love seeing it painted ALL the time!! Being from VA, you must see lots of beautiful scenes all the time.

So glad you stopped in. Please post lots more. Okey dokey?

Paula

Paula Ford
10-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Sooz....LOL

maddy777
10-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Hi all here is my quickie this week, I got some new bright pastels and thought i would try some bright paper too.....it's not as dark as this irl :eek: How do I attach as a thumbnail instead of a stonking great big thingy?:confused: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2005/69100-orange.jpg

scall0way
10-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Hi 40+ (LOL). Welcome to the weekly sketch thread. Love the colors in your fall scene. Virginia is such an incredibly scenic state!

I'll post one I did last night, just about an exact hour. I did it from a photo I took while on vacation in Canada. I liked the photo and thought it would make a fun picture. Usually by the hour-mark I'm fairly happy with how my pictures are coming along, but this one bothers me a bit.

But the aggravating thing is that I can't pinpoint exactly what. The background was originally light but the whole thing looked washed out, so I decided to make it dark to see if the foreground popped out more, but it still bothers me. Is it the colors? The lighting? The shadows? Not sure but any C&C is welcome.

It was fun to paint at any rate, and brought back some good memories. :)

HarvestMoon
10-11-2005, 11:27 AM
fortysomething, maddy, debbie- all really wonderful pictures.... here is my quickie rock picture, and a sleeping lion from my daughter...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2005/57497-rocks-oct-05.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2005/57497-lion-reb-oct-05.jpg

Paula Ford
10-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Hi Maddy, That great big thing is GREAT! (hate thumbnails!) Wow, such bright colors. What kind of paper are you using?

Purples, Your style is showing through on these sketches...nice and bright and happy!!

Debbie, Love the shrimp! I'm not sure what is bothering you about this painting. Maybe look at the shape of the shadow of the cup a bit more (around the right side). I really like the colors, nice and vibrant.

Paula

Khadres
10-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Maddie: I like to see the pics large size, so don't worry about the thumbnails thing! The colors in your painting are nice and bright and looks like you had a GREAT time with those new pastels!

Debbie: Ooooooo! Lookit them lobsters! Yummmm! I think the colors are fine, I'm just not sure what the stuff in the glass (jar?) is...caviar? Whole thing makes me hungry!

You are sooooo lucky to live back there with all that seafood (I've been thinking with fondness of New England style clam chowder lately!)

Purples: NICE rocks and desert brush! And tell the kid I really like the lion and bunnies...reminds me of a batik I once saw. You guys have been having fun for sure!

Paula Ford
10-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Woops! I said shrimp....soooooo sorry!!

scall0way
10-11-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm just not sure what the stuff in the glass (jar?) is...caviar?

LOL, them is fresh-picked WILD blueberries, straight from the field and just ready to make a blueberry pie from. But I admit it was darn hard to try to paint such teeny-weeny little suckers and get them to look like blueberries. :D

HarvestMoon
10-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Debbie- I thought those were crawfish, you can tell which part of the country my relatives are from.... but nice job on the picture!

fortysomething
10-11-2005, 08:57 PM
...fairly happy with how my pictures are coming along, but this one bothers me a bit. ...But the aggravating thing is that I can't pinpoint exactly what....

Hi Debbie, I feel that way about almost all of my pictures.

I love your lobsters. Leave those precious little guys alone!

Things to consider...
The red used for the container may be competing for the viewer's attention. It's very close to the color of the lobsters (on my monitor, anyway). Keep it red, but tone it down just a bit?

I think you're right about it looking a little light, too. Maybe a little of those darker blues from the background added towards the back of the table?

Fresh eyes see things differently. Don't change anything until you've gotten away from it for a couple of hours.

purples, I love your use of purples! I also like how you handled the tufts of grass.

maddy777, I like your color scheme. Your sunset looks pretty good from here, even if it looks dark on the monitor.

Paula... I'm sloooooow, but working on it!

maddy777
10-12-2005, 05:44 AM
Mornin'

Glad the big pic isn't a problem :D
I could spend all day looking at everyones work, it's great how different everyones style is; I have to force myself away from the pc sometimes! I wish I knew enough to be able to give some constructive input, but I don't so I will just go with enjoying it all at the moment!

mmmmmmm lobsters with garlic butter...I'm glad that what I thought were blueberries are in fact blueberries:clap: , although caviar is yummy too... Sorry think I should have breakfast lol.

Paula I don't know what the paper is :o I just saw it in an art shop under a 'pastel paper' sign, it was cheap & bright so i bought some.

Purples I love how your daughter's Lion looks as though it's basking under your rocks!

Khadres
10-14-2005, 07:57 PM
LOL, them is fresh-picked WILD blueberries, straight from the field and just ready to make a blueberry pie from. But I admit it was darn hard to try to paint such teeny-weeny little suckers and get them to look like blueberries. :D

Wow, I woulda NEVER guessed blueberries! LOL Well, we don't do blueberries out west here...blackberries, dewberries, strawberries, raspberries, yeah....but far as I know, not many blue berries. But it sure fit the blue "theme" you have going there and with those red lobsters! wow!

HarvestMoon
10-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Here is my attempt at a tiger- he has that look on his face from a weekend of lots of kids and pets going nuts...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2005/57497-tiger.jpg

Paula Ford
10-16-2005, 09:53 PM
WOW purples!! This looks so artsy!! Really wonderful!

Paula